Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Fox Sports is filling the stadiums with virtual fans.

Worth a shot.  The ability to influence crowd noise via smart phone is also intriguing.  Someone is going to figure out a way to monetize this sorta stuff soon.  

Sports books and daily fantasy sites should be hopping starting tonight.

They could even make it more team appropriate by having the Virtual Boston Fans scream racist taunts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

They could even make it more team appropriate by having the Virtual Boston Fans scream racist taunts!

Surely there's a real of audio clip of this happening that you can dub in, no ? 

4 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Next they'll be suckering losers to pay to be one of them. 

37 minutes ago, drobeski said:

I would if I could make my virtual fan run out on the field drunk.

23 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Someone is going to figure out a way to monetize this sorta stuff soon  

17 minutes ago, drobeski said:

14 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

As crazy as that sounds I wouldn't be surprised at all. 

Told ya so. 

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Told ya so. 

Haha didn't read yours, you win this thread

• Like 1

I paid 12 dollars for a Guinness at Yankee stadium once. Once. 

Can we have virtual Philly fans throw virtual batteries, and virtual Bills fans throw virtual d1ldos? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I paid 12 dollars for a Guinness at Yankee stadium once. Once. 

when?

in the fockin' 60s?

45 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

when?

in the fockin' 60s?

A VR overlay on reality is interesting.  I think eventually you will have a pair of goggles or contact lenses that overlay reality and then flag people with a criminal record.  Put a big red arrow over the head of someone who got arrested for DUI or is on a sex offender list.  Sex offender lists are public so its only a matter of time before it is used to flag people out in public.

Of course it can also be used to flag famous people, police officers, judges, etc.

Eventually the software will be able to flag people based on net worth, either thru figuring out your identity or judging you by clothes you wear or items you carry.  This person has the newest iphone so we estimate his value at x dollars.

Watching the UFC fights with no fans is kind of weird. The announcers before the fight trying to excite a crowd that isn't there is even weirder. 

I didn't like it at first but you can hear everything which is cool.

Dark days ahead for MLB. Most of their stadiums are in cities. Most of their fans are from the suburbs. If the cities aren’t safe, those fans won’t go at all or as much. I’ve been through this before. The Yankees won the most games in the 80’s. Attendance sucked. So it’s not just about winning. MLB was printing money hand over fist, more then they ever dreamed of. Now they are messing with what’s working. The Yankees Drew about 2 million in 1996, a year they won the WS. They didn’t draw 4 million until 2005. 

must be filling the radio with fake fans too, how the fock Colon Coward makes 7 million is laughable.

I want to see a virtual woman looking down on her virtual phone and get beaned in the head.  Then, look around like didn't know how something like that could have happened.  Then, the next day, I want to see that she filed a lawsuit.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

For Dodger games, they should have all the virtual fans show up late.

Elon Musk planned to construct the Dugout Loop (an underground tunnel linking a slew of fast-moving cars holding 16 people each from the Red Line Subway to the Stadium) and have it ready for 2020.  Plans got postponed and work hasn't started yet though.  It would save a lot of time for sure, as fans probably spend an hour just getting in line at the subway station and slowly boarding city buses that crawl to the stadium.  

19 hours ago, riversco said:

A VR overlay on reality is interesting.  I think eventually you will have a pair of goggles or contact lenses that overlay reality and then flag people with a criminal record.  Put a big red arrow over the head of someone who got arrested for DUI or is on a sex offender list.  Sex offender lists are public so its only a matter of time before it is used to flag people out in public.

Of course it can also be used to flag famous people, police officers, judges, etc.

Eventually the software will be able to flag people based on net worth, either thru figuring out your identity or judging you by clothes you wear or items you carry.  This person has the newest iphone so we estimate his value at x dollars.

As long as it flags people who are on my side in the civil war.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

As long as it flags people who are on my side in the civil war.

You might be making a joke but that is actually not outside the realm of possibility.

The Texas Rangers may have gotten out in front of this already. $50 gets you a cardboard cutout of yourself in the stands, proceeds going to their charitable foundation.

Pretty crafty was to fill seats, and raise money. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/texas-rangers-fans-attend-opening-day-in-cardboard-form/287-f8eea862-80d6-4129-9a21-6f1a1798ce7f

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

The Texas Rangers may have gotten out in front of this already. $50 gets you a cardboard cutout of yourself in the stands, proceeds going to their charitable foundation.

Pretty crafty was to fill seats, and raise money. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/texas-rangers-fans-attend-opening-day-in-cardboard-form/287-f8eea862-80d6-4129-9a21-6f1a1798ce7f

Only 2700 people were willing to cough up $50 for opening day.  Of course, many people bought multiple cardboard cutouts, so the number is actually a lot less.

5 hours ago, riversco said:

Only 2700 people were willing to cough up $50 for opening day.  Of course, many people bought multiple cardboard cutouts, so the number is actually a lot less.

And your point? So what, still a cool ass idea. 

I've lived here my whole life, and as an avid fan of 40+ years - even I had no idea this was being offered. Clearly others had no idea either. Toss in the Rona factor, not shocking only 2700 cutouts were sold. 

Also not mentioned, this promotion closed on July 15th - and I'm just now hearing of it. 

6 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I've lived here my whole life, and as an avid fan of 40+ years - even I had no idea this was being offered. Clearly others had no idea either. Toss in the Rona factor, not shocking only 2700 cutouts were sold. 

Also not mentioned, this promotion closed on July 15th - and I'm just now hearing of it. 

My point is that really seems like low demand.  $50 isn't a lot.  It makes me think interest in baseball is next to nothing now.

So far, the Cubs radio broadcast is the best way for me to catch a game.  It sounds perfectly normal with the pumped in crowd noise and I’m not distracted by the empty stands.  

I know there are no fans there, but without the visual, it seems normal.  

If I were in the radio biz, I’d be looking for ways to capitalize on this and improve the overall listener experience.  

I really think we might see a surge in terrestrial radio listeners because of this.  

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

So far, the Cubs radio broadcast is the best way for me to catch a game.  It sounds perfectly normal with the pumped in crowd noise and I’m not distracted by the empty stands.  

I know there are no fans there, but without the visual, it seems normal.  

If I were in the radio biz, I’d be looking for ways to capitalize on this and improve the overall listener experience.  

I really think we might see a surge in terrestrial radio listeners because of this.  

I watched the ESPN cubs game yesterday (Hendricks win)  (first time I tuned into ESPN in probably a couple years), just to see what it's like. And crap, I didn't care about the fans. The game cast passed in background "crowd noise". I thought that was all I needed honestly. Now, if it's playoffs, that's a little different. 

Also, I would miss WGN, or whoever does the Wrigley Field broadcasts these days, showing the hot chicks in the stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

They should give you something if a homerun or a could ball hits your cutout.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I watched the ESPN cubs game yesterday (Hendricks win)  (first time I tuned into ESPN in probably a couple years), just to see what it's like. And crap, I didn't care about the fans. The game cast passed in background "crowd noise". I thought that was all I needed honestly. Now, if it's playoffs, that's a little different. 

Also, I would miss WGN, or whoever does the Wrigley Field broadcasts these days, showing the hot chicks in the stands. 

and there we have it million dollar marketing

pay a subscription to have access to different types of fans in the stands

On 7/25/2020 at 10:02 PM, riversco said:

My point is that really seems like low demand.  $50 isn't a lot.  It makes me think interest in baseball is next to nothing now.

Give the Texas Rangers Foundation the operating budget of the full MLB, weeks and weeks to advertise  - the numbers skyrocket. 

Bur keep dreaming it's bcoz of kneeling. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:00 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Stupid. 

You hate foundations and charity, why? 

9 hours ago, Cruzer said:

You hate foundations and charity, why? 

Yeah, that’s what I meant.  Nice try Karen. 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:02 PM, riversco said:

It's more that it's a dumb idea and most people think it is.  Do you think the results would be any different for NFL games?  I don't.