Sign in to follow this  
"Caddyshack" at 40...

Ted Knight and Rodney were hilarious. 

I just listened to Joe Rogan podcast with Bob Saget...they talked about Rodney...interesting stuff.

Netflix has a movie on the life of the creators of National Lampoon. Forgot the name. 

Reason I bring it up here is after they made Animal House he left to make Caddyshack and he absolutely hated it. Said the stupid gopher was thrown at him by a studio executive. 

Turns out there was also bad timing as another comedy came out 40 years ago this summer too. Airplane. 

I never liked Caddyshack. Same with Stripes. 

I did love Easy Money and Back to School though. I also saw Rodney live on his No Respect tour. Freaking awesome.

2 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I like Stripes until it jumps the shark

As soon as they get out of bootcamp you can turn it off. 

2 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Netflix has a movie on the life of the creators of National Lampoon. Forgot the name. 

Reason I bring it up here is after they made Animal House he left to make Caddyshack and he absolutely hated it. Said the stupid gopher was thrown at him by a studio executive. 

Turns out there was also bad timing as another comedy came out 40 years ago this summer too. Airplane. 

I watched that as well.  It was very interesting.  Needless to say I was a bit surprised at the ending since I didn't know anything about the dude.

Bonus points for having Emmy Rossum play his wife. :wub:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

As soon as they get out of bootcamp you can turn it off. 

Exactly 

4 minutes ago, DonS said:

I watched that as well.  It was very interesting.  Needless to say I was a bit surprised at the ending since I didn't know anything about the dude.

Bonus points for having Emmy Rossum play his wife. :wub:

Same thing(s)

On 7/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, Kopy said:

Great movie. Part 2, not so much.

Part 2 is so terribly bad it's watchable for its awfulness

• Like 1

Caddyshack, IMO, just has not not held up well...  It has some good lines here and there, but when I catch some of it now, it just doesn't seem as good...

14 minutes ago, posty said:

Caddyshack, IMO, just has not not held up well...  It has some good lines here and there, but when I catch some of it now, it just doesn't seem as good...

I watched Airplane on the 40th anniversary and I think that held up well. I agree. Caddyshack not so much

2 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I watched Airplane on the 40th anniversary and I think that held up well. I agree. Caddyshack not so much

:first:

Caddy shack was the best one made about golf. So many good lines. 

Rodney: Don’t tell them your Jewish. 

Went to his comedy club in NY way back in the day. Ordered a Budweiser. Bartender:you’re kidding? Me: All you have. Is miller light? 😀

Kind of crazy related story.   Doug Kenney was a writer and producer of Caddyshack.   Widely recognized as the true comedic genius of that movie and Animal House.   For reference,  he was Stork in Animal House    When Caddyshack kind of bombed when it opened he went deeper into drugs, which probably hadn't been helped by the rampant drug use on the set of Caddyshack.   Depressed about Caddyshack, he accepted Chevy Chase's offer to visit him at Chase's place in Hawaii.     Chase and Kenney's girlfriend had to leave Hawaii for acting gigs but thought Kenney was OK and he stayed behind at Chase's place.     He fell off of a cliff that he was trying to climb in Hawaii and fell to his death.    The really crazy part is that it is pretty widely accepted that Kenney was trying to climb up to a higher point on the cliff to then commit suicide by jumping off that cliff.    So he had an accident that killed him while he was trying to kill himself.    Crazy, sad story.  

Wikepedia if you wanna read for yourself.      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Kenney

3 hours ago, Masshole said:

Kind of crazy related story.   Doug Kenney was a writer and producer of Caddyshack.   Widely recognized as the true comedic genius of that movie and Animal House.   For reference,  he was Stork in Animal House    When Caddyshack kind of bombed when it opened he went deeper into drugs, which probably hadn't been helped by the rampant drug use on the set of Caddyshack.   Depressed about Caddyshack, he accepted Chevy Chase's offer to visit him at Chase's place in Hawaii.     Chase and Kenney's girlfriend had to leave Hawaii for acting gigs but thought Kenney was OK and he stayed behind at Chase's place.     He fell off of a cliff that he was trying to climb in Hawaii and fell to his death.    The really crazy part is that it is pretty widely accepted that Kenney was trying to climb up to a higher point on the cliff to then commit suicide by jumping off that cliff.    So he had an accident that killed him while he was trying to kill himself.    Crazy, sad story.  

Wikepedia if you wanna read for yourself.      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Kenney

I alluded to all this on the moon. It’s all detailed in that Netflix movie. 

Caddyshack is still one of the greatest comedies of all time.

The fact a lot of it was ad- libbed, makes it immortal. 👍

• Like 1

A film that came out today will be 40 years old in 2060.   That feels like the far future but its not really.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:14 AM, Utilit99 said:

I never liked Caddyshack. Same with Stripes. 

I did love Easy Money and Back to School though. I also saw Rodney live on his No Respect tour. Freaking awesome.

I saw Rodney too. Is Easy Money the one where everyone is fawning over a baby.

He's got my eyes.

He's got my nose.

Rodney "He's got my sympathy."

17 hours ago, Cruzer said:

This.  The entire scene with Bill and Chevy was ad-libbed.  They hated each other and didn't want to do a scene together but the producer made them.  Pure gold.  

On 7/27/2020 at 3:49 PM, Masshole said:

I'd never heard that.  Died, while trying to kill himself.  Now that's funny.  God bless Stork.

Snippet from that Wiki page:

The film did not come out the way it was written. The film was intended to be about the caddies and their attitude towards the club's members and government. But the studio edited it to focus on the scene-stealers Rodeney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight. Kenney and the writers were unhappy with the final released version.

Would've been interesting to see the film as written. My guess is it wouldn't have been quite as funny without the focus on Rodney and others. Kinda like Lenny Bruce...  getting too political and ruining the actual comedy.  Though the movie execs obviously screwed up adding the gopher garbage, thinking that would help market to a younger audience.

Beyond Rodney's one-liners, there's a ton of subtle, stupid humor in Caddyshack, especially from Chase and Murray.  Cinderella story, Dalai Lama, Pool/Pond, Canon ball, etc.  Even when Chevy serves the leftover beer and pretends he's popping the caps right then is just dumb slapstick, but it worked.  

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Beyond Rodney's one-liners, there's a ton of subtle, stupid humor in Caddyshack, especially from Chase and Murray.  Cinderella story, Dalai Lama, Pool/Pond, Canon ball, etc.  Even when Chevy serves the leftover beer and pretends he's popping the caps right then is just dumb slapstick, but it worked.  

It was Perrier. And the blonde chick had a great rack.  Biggest hore on 5th Avenue, I’m told. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, Cruzer said:

This. Such a classic. Anytime I see it on tv I always stop and watch 

18 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

This.  The entire scene with Bill and Chevy was ad-libbed.  They hated each other and didn't want to do a scene together but the producer made them.  Pure gold.  

Not only that, that particular scene was not part of the original script. 

The movie was basically shot, but they decided they needed a scene with the two of them - the rest was history.