Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Players Placed on COVID-19 List, Opt-Outs

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

WR Aleva Hifo, KC

Aleva?

Did they get his prescription mixed up with his birth certificate?

Probly has brothers named Tylenol and Advil.

• Haha 1

The NFLPA must have got a new intern to handle their player tracking data table on their web site....

As of 7/28 - 107 players tested positive during off-season, 21 have tested positive since players started reporting to camp. 

Funchess is out, that’s good news for Lazard owners.  

Funchess wont play in the nfl ever again.  

there doesnt seem to be any super stars... opting out to me, seems super stupid. But I am on the side that thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion 

11 hours ago, snatchit said:

there doesnt seem to be any super stars... opting out to me, seems super stupid. But I am on the side that thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion 

I agree it's over blown, but for someone with a vulernerable new born? I completely understand. I would be nervous too. Or someone who is high risk like a cancer survivor.

• Like 1

We'll have a better idea next week.  Apparently there's an Opt-Out agreement that the NFL and NFLPA are working on.  Pending on the language of that agreement, there could be a mass exodus.  Could actually lead to a cancelled season.

I think it’s already in place.  

35 minutes ago, weepaws said:

According to NFL Radio, they said August 3rd or 4th.  Players will have 7 days to notify their team and the league.  So, apparently the deadline will be the 10th or 11th.

Aren’t players already doing so? 

Just read that D will and two Pats def starters have already. 

And today a Gmen oline ot just did the same.  

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

We'll have a better idea next week.  Apparently there's an Opt-Out agreement that the NFL and NFLPA are working on.  Pending on the language of that agreement, there could be a mass exodus.  Could actually lead to a cancelled season.

it's going to lead to a cancelled season. It's really quite simple., As soon as enough 'opt out', they won't be able to field NFL level competitive teams or even a team at all. Once that happens, they will have to cancel the season. Once the league cancels it, those that did not opt out, will want paid. Once the league has to pay them, they will ahve to pay the 'opt out' players as well. It's obvious what it going on.

:lol: Matt Ryan talking about the set up at training camp. How everyone is separated. 

Um, you won't be when you take the field. This is such a complete joke.

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

According to NFL Radio, they said August 3rd or 4th.  Players will have 7 days to notify their team and the league.  So, apparently the deadline will be the 10th or 11th.

The NFLPA and NFL have verbally agreed to a COVID plan, but apparently the "opt out" clause has not yet been finalized.  Once the paperwork is signed, players will have 7 days to choose the opt out option.  So if it was signed today, players would have until August 4th to opt out.  If it's signed tomorrow, it will be August 5th, and so on.  It was initially supposed to be July 31, so that's probably why we are seeing players take that option already, when it's not even really official yet.  (But it appears inevitable.)

3 hours ago, LOD01 said:

it's going to lead to a cancelled season. It's really quite simple., As soon as enough 'opt out', they won't be able to field NFL level competitive teams or even a team at all. Once that happens, they will have to cancel the season. Once the league cancels it, those that did not opt out, will want paid. Once the league has to pay them, they will ahve to pay the 'opt out' players as well. It's obvious what it going on.

I think that's a real possibility.

We’ve had seasons during labor disputes with replacement players.  They won’t cancel the season because of lack of players to field NFL level competitive teams.

3 hours ago, nobody said:

We’ve had seasons during labor disputes with replacement players.  They won’t cancel the season because of lack of players to field NFL level competitive teams.

The difference though is the uneven playing field.  Back then, every player was a replacement player.  Here, you could have a team that's perfectly healthy and another team that has 15 to 20 back-ups now being starters.  Imagine a team like the Chiefs, who just gave Mahomes all that money, has an OL get the virus and infect the rest of the OL during their meetings.  They may have their best OL get quarantined for a week, so now you have 8 practice squad guys protecting Mahomes.  On top of that, the upcoming game could be against the best DL in the NFL.  Now, how good do you feel about the competitive balance of that game and the safety of your QB?

On 7/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

That's what I expect. Get enough to opt out, including some superstars and that will force the league to give up. Then they can all say they deserve to be paid their full salary. 

45 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

That's what I expect. Get enough to opt out, including some superstars and that will force the league to give up. Then they can all say they deserve to be paid their full salary. 

Yeah, I think that's what's going to happen.  I hope the league though is smart enough to see that possibility and have contingency plans to that effect in the agreement.

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

The latter may get more players than the former...

9 hours ago, stonewall said:

The latter may get more players than the former...

I gotta tell ya, I'm willing to bet there will be players taking the COVID opt-out so that they don't have to take the drug test, because they know they're going to fail it.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I gotta tell ya, I'm willing to bet there will be players taking the COVID opt-out so that they don't have to take the drug test, because they know they're going to fail it.

Failing a drug test for marijuana won't result in a suspension any more under the new CBA, so it's not that big of a deal now.  Of course those using steroids and such will still be in trouble...

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Failing a drug test for marijuana won't result in a suspension any more under the new CBA, so it's not that big of a deal now.  Of course those using steroids and such will still be in trouble...

Taking a year off because one may test positive for steroids seems pretty pointless to me. 

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Taking a year off because one may test positive for steroids seems pretty pointless to me. 

I doubt if many people would do that, but if you KNEW you were going to test positive, getting paid $150k for sitting out is better than getting suspended for the season and being paid nothing.

29 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I doubt if many people would do that, but if you KNEW you were going to test positive, getting paid $150k for sitting out is better than getting suspended for the season and being paid nothing.

Yes it is. But taking steroids only to not play is pretty pointless

On 8/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, AxeElf said:

Suspended no, but they get fined.  After a 3rd failed drug test, you're fined 1 game check and 3 game checks after the 4th failed test.  They're also required to go to substance abuse sessions after the 3rd (or 4th), failed test.  If you don't go, you then can be suspended.  So, if you want to smoke a joint every week and keep failing drug tests, you can keep playing for free.  What good will that do you?  So you can keep playing, but you have to go to classes.  Once you don't go to those classes, then you can get suspended.

Matthew Stafford, tested positive for the CCP virus but apparently it was a false positive. His wife went off on the NFL

Welp, the deadline is today. I think we can safely say that the league will have plenty of players to field a team. Thankfully 0 starting qbs, 0 starting running backs, and 0 starting receivers have opted out. 0 starting tight ends also. That was a close call

34 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Thankfully 0 starting qbs, 0 starting running backs, and 0 starting receivers have opted out. 0 starting tight ends also. That was a close call

Not to contradict your argument that the league will struggle on without them, but Damien Williams, Devin Funchess, Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns and Matt LaCosse have all opted out.  That's one starting RB, three starting WRs, and a starting TE who have opted out that you overlooked.  I would probably include Marquise Goodwin in that group myself, but he hadn't "officially" overtaken DeSean Jackson as the deep threat yet, so I'll let the 4th WR slide.  He would have been fantasy-relevant, in any case.

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Not to contradict your argument that the league will struggle on without them, but Damien Williams, Devin Funchess, Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns and Matt LaCosse have all opted out.  That's one starting RB, three starting WRs, and a starting TE who have opted out that you overlooked.  I would probably include Marquise Goodwin in that group myself, but he hadn't "officially" overtaken DeSean Jackson as the deep threat yet, so I'll let the 4th WR slide.  He would have been fantasy-relevant, in any case.

Fringe starters who may have lost their jobs before the season started. I'm talking about important players

15 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Fringe starters who may have lost their jobs before the season started. I'm talking about important players

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

I didn't count Marquise Goodwin on "if" DeSean Jackson lost his job; you don't get to disregard starting players who MIGHT lose their jobs.  Damien Williams was still a 2nd round pick when he bailed; I guarantee you he was an "important player" to a lot of fantasy owners out there.

You said 0 starting RBs, WRs and TEs had opted out, and the actual number (so far) is 5.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

I didn't count Marquise Goodwin on "if" DeSean Jackson lost his job; you don't get to disregard starting players who MIGHT lose their jobs.  Damien Williams was still a 2nd round pick when he bailed; I guarantee you he was an "important player" to a lot of fantasy owners out there.

You said 0 starting RBs, WRs and TEs had opted out, and the actual number (so far) is 5.

Yeah but none of them mattered for fantasy. Williams was the best option as a handcuff to CEH, the real starter.

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Welp, the deadline is today. I think we can safely say that the league will have plenty of players to field a team. Thankfully 0 starting qbs, 0 starting running backs, and 0 starting receivers have opted out. 0 starting tight ends also. That was a close call

It mostly looks like it was players who were on the borderline of making a roster that opted out.

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yeah but none of them mattered for fantasy. Williams was the best option as a handcuff to CEH, the real starter.

You can TELL people that their second-round pick was fantasy-irrelevant, but they probly won't believe you.

7 hours ago, polecatt said:

It mostly looks like it was players who were on the borderline of making a roster that opted out.

Pretty much with just a few exceptions for serious health concerns

11 hours ago, polecatt said:

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Pretty much with just a few exceptions for serious health concerns

I think most of us saw this coming.  Oddly, it seems that the hosts on NFL Radio didn't.  For the last week, all I heard from every show was something along the lines of 'I'm a little nervous of how many players will opt out' or 'I think fans will be surprised about how many players opt out'.  Now, I will say, that wasn't the message from former players like Wilcotts, McCaffrey, and Miller... it was the media guys.