Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Players Placed on COVID-19 List, Opt-Outs

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think most of us saw this coming.  Oddly, it seems that the hosts on NFL Radio didn't.  For the last week, all I heard from every show was something along the lines of 'I'm a little nervous of how many players will opt out' or 'I think fans will be surprised about how many players opt out'.  Now, I will say, that wasn't the message from former players like Wilcotts, McCaffrey, and Miller... it was the media guys.

The media cashes in when anxiety and fear are at their highest. Why would they claim that everything will be fine when that will probably mean people tune in slightly less? 

I wouldn't listen to anyone ever again if they were telling us there will be a significant amount of opt outs from important players. It either means that they purposely mislead listeners about what they actually believed, or it means they are obviously not any type of expert. 

Money is the driving force behind everything. How much money does the league and players stand to lose not just this year, but next year as well if there is 0 game day revenue. The NFL and players are really going to just give all of that up? Especially with the non guaranteed nature of contracts, there could be quite a few players who get screwed out of 10s of millions of dollars. 10s of millions of dollars is not worth going to work as a non high risk person. What? The? F? 

Oh and I also loved how people said baseball ONLY makes like 35% of their revenue from TV, or at least some teams that's the case, so baseball will probably just not have a season because of the insignificant revenue.... 35%!!? I would freaking out in either a good or bad way depending on if I was gaining or losing 35% of my pay. Acting like 35% is insignificant, especially to people whose life goal is to make as much money as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

The media cashes in when anxiety and fear are at their highest. Why would they claim that everything will be fine when that will probably mean people tune in slightly less? 

I wouldn't listen to anyone ever again if they were telling us there will be a significant amount of opt outs from important players. It either means that they purposely mislead listeners about what they actually believed, or it means they are obviously not any type of expert. 

Money is the driving force behind everything. How much money does the league and players stand to lose not just this year, but next year as well if there is 0 game day revenue. The NFL and players are really going to just give all of that up? Especially with the non guaranteed nature of contracts, there could be quite a few players who get screwed out of 10s of millions of dollars. 10s of millions of dollars is not worth going to work as a non high risk person. What? The? F? 

Oh and I also loved how people said baseball ONLY makes like 35% of their revenue from TV, or at least some teams that's the case, so baseball will probably just not have a season because of the insignificant revenue.... 35%!!? I would freaking out in either a good or bad way depending on if I was gaining or losing 35% of my pay. Acting like 35% is insignificant, especially to people whose life goal is to make as much money as possible. 

Yeah, you have your finger on the pulse right there.