Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Maine has 1st ever fatal shark attack. :o

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/07/28/new-york-woman-killed-in-maines-first-fatal-shark-attack/

A 63-year-old New York City woman and part-time resident of Harpswell died in a shark attack Monday afternoon near Bailey Island.
Julie Dimperio Holowach was identified Tuesday as the victim of what is the first documented fatal shark attack in Maine.

Maine’s Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed that Holowach was attacked by a great white shark, according to the Maine Department of Marine Resources. The department urged people recreating in the water to avoid schools of fish or seals, which can attract sharks.
“Shark interactions with humans are very rare in Maine,” James Sulikowski, a former University of New England professor and researcher who conducts shark research in Maine and locations worldwide, said in an interview Monday evening. “My guess is that the person was mistaken for a food item.”
Holowach, who has a home on Bailey Island and is well known in the community, was wearing a wetsuit and swimming about 20 yards offshore just outside Mackerel Cove on Bailey Island in Harpswell on Monday afternoon when she was attacked. Two kayakers brought the victim to shore, where they were met by a crew of Harpswell first responders. She died at the scene.
Holowach’s daughter was swimming with her but not injured, according to the Maine Marine Patrol.

That's one way to keep New Yorker's out of New England

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Most Maine towns don't even have police,. they have volunteer FD and one sheriff. We want to keep it that way. Stay home.

Just now, edjr said:

Most Maine towns don't even have police,. they have volunteer FD and one sheriff. We want to keep it that way. Stay home.

Done

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

Makes sense... Maine is like 95% white.

Was talking to a guy I work with who is right in that area. He said that there are lots of seals this year and that, because there is less boating, the seals are closer to shore. The sharks follow the seals. Ban seals!!

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Was talking to a guy I work with who is right in that area. He said that there are lots of seals this year and that, because there is less boating, the seals are closer to shore. The sharks follow the seals. Ban seals!!

Time to start allowing the asians back in to slaughter seals and make shark fin soup

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Time to start allowing the asians back in to slaughter seals and make shark fin soup

Oh, you are an open border liberal. :thumbsdown:

5 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Oh, you are an open border liberal. :thumbsdown:

They can stay in their boats, no need to come on land.

37 minutes ago, edjr said:

Did you move all the way up there? Or just speaking in general NE.

20 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Did you move all the way up there? Or just speaking in general NE.

My dad moved there 15 years ago. Lives right on a nice small lake. it's so nice. I try to spend as much time up there as possible. I will own it one day