Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Staining a deck

I use to like lighter stain but I am all in on darker now. I did a fence, each board but man, it looks nice. It has black aluminum horizontal stringers and black aluminum square posts. It's going to last rest of my life.

I'm about to do my garage doors the same. It's tongue and grove cedar. Right now it's painted but I have been seeing these faux stain garage doors. I'm going to have a real one to match my fence and decks.

6 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Yep.  I see more of it all the time.  Once a year, mix bleach/water at 4:1 with a squirt of Dawn and spray it on with a pump-up sprayer.  Scrub if necessary and rinse with hose.  All done.

Sent u a PM of the deck. 

19 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I use to like lighter stain but I am all in on darker now. I did a fence, each board but man, it looks nice. It has black aluminum horizontal stringers and black aluminum square posts. It's going to last rest of my life.

I'm about to do my garage doors the same. It's tongue and grove cedar. Right now it's painted but I have been seeing these faux stain garage doors. I'm going to have a real one to match my fence and decks.

I’d go dark. If we buy that one then I might hold off for a few years. But the deck is red red. Think of how a popsicle stick looks after eating a red popsicle. That’s the closest color to it I believe 

I use Cabot Moonlit Mahogany Gold. Expensive but it's the best deck stain I ever used. I apply it with micro towel, buy a bag of them, get some gloves. It's tedious but it saves a lot of product and I can get into the cracks by squeezing the micro towel some. Stuff also last much longer than Thompson. 

I've tried mops, sprayers, other ways but all waste too much product. Those micro towels are the way to go.  

25 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I've tried mops, sprayers, other ways but all waste too much product. Those micro towels are the way to go.  

I use an airless sprayer on each board.  I spray it till it just starts puddling.  Then back brush with this.  As you do, you have to back brush or wipe manually.  The small wood handle can be unscrewed and insert a 6 ft pole.  I can spray and back brush while standing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I3NS0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JDjiFb3925XH4

Just now, Fireballer said:

I use an airless sprayer on each board.  I spray it till it just starts puddling.  Then back brush with this.  As you do, you have to back brush or wipe manually.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I3NS0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JDjiFb3925XH4

Roofing looks a little older too. It’s shingle roofing but I think I might want to put a metal roof on it (might change my mind but I like the look of the metal roof with country style homes) 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

For the ones here that actually own a home and aren’t playing make believe, Trex is difficult to get right now. If you want it for next year you might want to order early. 

Pressure treated is tough to come by as well.  I could get enough lumber to build a new deck if I wanted to.

8 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Pressure treated is tough to come by as well.  I could get enough lumber to build a new deck if I wanted to.

Thats crazy.  I just bought enough lumber to do a 10x12 addition on my deck.  4x6s, 2x8s, 5/4s and 2x4s.  I did go to a,lumber yard and not Lowes or HD

I can’t imagine passing on a house because I don’t like the color of the deck. If the cost or labor to stain the deck is too much, you should definitely pass on the house.

Is that GC code for blackface?

33 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I can’t imagine passing on a house because I don’t like the color of the deck. If the cost or labor to stain the deck is too much, you should definitely pass on the house.

Nah not passing on it cause of the color. Just a factor in it. Probably will put an offer in on it cause wife and I both love it. But redoing it does factor in when determining between it and another one. I like the location of this one better though. There’s a sweet ass river house that I like a lot but the back yard isn’t too big and leads right into the river that I’m considering as well 

this is part of the deck. Got a good 7-10 feet to the left with more of the deck. Like I said, it’s a good sized deck 

https://app.photobucket.com/u/djgb1337/a/8fd12264-758f-40a4-97e2-7bfe90597266/p/5d85552c-b257-4041-a360-9a68810fbbb0

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Nah not passing on it cause of the color. Just a factor in it. Probably will put an offer in on it cause wife and I both love it. But redoing it does factor in when determining between it and another one. I like the location of this one better though. There’s a sweet ass river house that I like a lot but the back yard isn’t too big and leads right into the river that I’m considering as well 

this is part of the deck. Got a good 7-10 feet to the left with more of the deck. Like I said, it’s a good sized deck 

https://app.photobucket.com/u/djgb1337/a/8fd12264-758f-40a4-97e2-7bfe90597266/p/5d85552c-b257-4041-a360-9a68810fbbb0

I get it, but it’s a couple grand or about a weekend worth of your time to change it.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I get it, but it’s a couple grand or about a weekend worth of your time to change it.

It will be more than a weekend. How much are your weekends worth. Make a budget, save, pay someone and replace it. You will thank me later. It ain't worth it. Around my parts, Mexicans will do it for practically nothing.

I needed a stalagtite vaulted crap plaster ceiling flattened. Looked like crap. Paid a crew. They did it for $800 in 2 days. would have taken me two months. Money well spent.   

Just now, FlyinHeadlock said:

It will be more than a weekend. How much are your weekends worth. Make a budget, save, pay someone and replace it. You will thank me later. It ain't worth it. Around my parts, Mexicans will do it for practically nothing.

I needed a stalagtite vaulted crap plaster ceiling flattened. Looked like crap. Paid a crew. They did it for $800 in 2 days. would have taken me two months. Money well spent.   

I would have done it myself when I was younger.  Not anymore...Like you said, my weekends are worth more than the $.

Just now, Gladiators said:

I would have done it myself when I was younger.  Not anymore...Like you said, my weekends are worth more than the $.

I hear you brother. I am there myself. Use to do all this stuff, former engineer. Loved doing it. Now, I have enough coin and enough people who want to earn it. Let them do it. I cringe a little but it's worth it. I still cut my grass, do minor repairs. Big jobs though not worth my time anymore. I do supervise them though. Retards tried to replace an exterior wall without insulation. Made them rip out half their drywall work. Not going to happen.

7 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

The rich stay rich cause we try not to spend it 😋

Punch in the face in front of your boyfriend and future adopted kids worthy comment. :lol:

I was going to post something helpful until that. :dunno::lol:

7 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Punch in the face in front of your boyfriend and future adopted kids worthy comment. :lol:

I was going to post something helpful until that. :dunno::lol:

I doubt it. If that prevented you from posting something helpful you’re more of a snowflake than a liberal especially since it’s clearly a joke 😂😂😂😂

14 hours ago, MDC said:

This thread is 100% Digby. :D 

Almost as good as when he asked advice how to back up a trailer. That was gold. 

14 hours ago, Fireballer said:

If using a pressure washer.  Keep in mind that pressure doesnt clean wood, chems do.

You da man. It was killing me everyone saying power wash. Correct term is pressure wash. 

Did not expect the fact that I’m buying a house and asking about restaining a deck would trigger so many guys here. Wow. Talk about being petty and jealous 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Why worry about it?  You're just gonna demolish it with the Uhaul trailer.  

Not worrying about it cause they already accepted an offer 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Not worrying about it cause they already accepted an offer 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lighten up digbis.

• Confused 1

Just now, vuduchile said:

Lighten up digbis.

What are you talking about? I’m not upset or angry. I just don’t have to worry about it anymore cause they already accepted an offer from someone else. Was looking at one I planned on viewing tomorrow (literally got put up for sale yesterday) and someone already made an offer that the owner accepted already. My top two already got gone. First one was listed for only 5 days before they accepted an offer. Second one was listed for 1 day before they accepted an offer also. Can’t get down there fast enough to actually view a damn home without someone making an offer from only viewing it online it seems 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

What are you talking about? I’m not upset or angry. I just don’t have to worry about it anymore cause they already accepted an offer from someone else. Was looking at one I planned on viewing tomorrow (literally got put up for sale yesterday) and someone already made an offer that the owner accepted already. My top two already got gone. First one was listed for only 5 days before they accepted an offer. Second one was listed for 1 day before they accepted an offer also. Can’t get down there fast enough to actually view a damn home without someone making an offer from only viewing it online it seems 

Ok, good luck.

Houses here are selling at above asking price. Too much demand and it is very much a sellers market. While interest rates are so low, it can make that house "cheaper", it still does not justify the stipulations that some are seeing here:

- Home inspection items found only allow the buyer to pull their offer. They can't use it to lower price

- Selling at 10% above asking due to bidding wars

- No contingencies (i.e. sell existing home, etc.)

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Houses here are selling at above asking price. Too much demand and it is very much a sellers market. While interest rates are so low, it can make that house "cheaper", it still does not justify the stipulations that some are seeing here:

- Home inspection items found only allow the buyer to pull their offer. They can't use it to lower price

- Selling at 10% above asking due to bidding wars

- No contingencies (i.e. sell existing home, etc.)

Definitely seeing bidding wars. Some of these houses are on the market less than a week and are being sold.