Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Damien Williams opts-out

Wow  biggest ff impact to date. 

Woah!

The rookie is going to be a first round pick in many drafts now I would bet

Probly a good move for him; now he won't have to get "beaten out" at some point during the season by Edwards-Helaire, and he can angle for a new contract with a new team next year without looking so much like a re-tread.

27 minutes ago, Matt Mueller said:

Will players have the option of re opting in or is it a final decision?  

It is final and irrevocable.

Last year everyone was hyped for Darwin Thompson. 

Not a great move for Williams. I don't think he walks back into the league as a RB1 next year.

22 hours ago, LOD01 said:

Impact for 2020 =  ZERO. There's no season.

Dead wrong. The NFL has too much money at stake. You think the billionaire owners are going to just not make money? Or the players? 

20 hours ago, Old School said:

Last year everyone was hyped for Darwin Thompson. 

Not a great move for Williams. I don't think he walks back into the league as a RB1 next year.

He wasn't the rb1 on his own team any more anyway

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

He wasn't the rb1 on his own team any more anyway

He wasn't?  He had 300 yards and 6 TDs in the postseason alone...

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

He wasn't?  He had 300 yards and 6 TDs in the postseason alone...

He was in Andy Reid's dog house by mid season. Then the team spent a 1st round pick on a running back. He was never going to be the teams top back again unless CEH was hurt

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

He was in Andy Reid's dog house by mid season. Then the team spent a 1st round pick on a running back. He was never going to be the teams top back again unless CEH was hurt

He was still the team's top back, and could have remained the team's top back, unless and until that last pick in the 1st round of the draft proves he's not a bust in the NFL and takes the job.

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Dead wrong. The NFL has too much money at stake. You think the billionaire owners are going to just not make money? Or the players? 

Doesn’t seem to be a big deal to those that have already opt out.  

FF Owners  knew who was going to be the real KC number one rb, CEH had a higher adp them D Williams. 

D Williams dropping out just confirms that CEH will be the rb1 from the get go.  

But D Will did produce while he was with KC.  

Williams was a late season and postseason hero and the team loves him. He would’ve had plenty of work this year. Unfortunately he learned his mom has Stage 4 cancer. I’m guessing it’ll be a committee to start while CEH picks up the playbook and blocking assignments.

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

Doesn’t seem to be a big deal to those that have already opt out.  

Why haven't more players opted out? Baseball had players opt out out yet they are playing. The mlb players union was stronger than the NFL union. A big reason is because NFL players cave to make sure they get paid. This is no different. 

6 hours ago, wazu said:

Williams was a late season and postseason hero and the team loves him. He would’ve had plenty of work this year. Unfortunately he learned his mom has Stage 4 cancer. I’m guessing it’ll be a committee to start while CEH picks up the playbook and blocking assignments.

Love seems strong. He got into Reids dog house for a reaon

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Love seems strong. He got into Reids dog house for a reaon

Huh? What doghouse? The last time Damien touched the ball had a home run, game clinching touchdown in the Superbowl. Are you confusing him with LeSean McCoy?

37 minutes ago, wazu said:

Huh? What doghouse? The last time Damien touched the ball had a home run, game clinching touchdown in the Superbowl. Are you confusing him with LeSean McCoy?

Early in the season he was. Obviously they don't love him enough to not draft a 1st round rb who wasn't even a 1st round grade 

29 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Early in the season he was. Obviously they don't love him enough to not draft a 1st round rb who wasn't even a 1st round grade 

He was never in the doghouse. The issue with him is and has always been his health. He can't stay on the field, he had the same problem in Miami. The Chiefs obviously like him, but would be foolish to count on him playing 16 games, as he never does it. CEH, was strengthening a position that had little depth behind their injury prone starter.

38 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

CEH is absolutely a first round talent. Being drafted at 32 is perfect as it includes a fifth year option. Damien was never in the dog house. Chiefs have liked him, but he’ll be 29 next year and CEH was too great a fit to pass up.

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

He was never in the doghouse. The issue with him is and has always been his health. He can't stay on the field, he had the same problem in Miami. The Chiefs obviously like him, but would be foolish to count on him playing 16 games, as he never does it. CEH, was strengthening a position that had little depth behind their injury prone starter.

There have been whispers about his work ethic. Last year was classic dog house from Andy Reid

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There have been whispers about his work ethic. Last year was classic dog house from Andy Reid

I live in Kansas City and obsess morning, noon and night over this team. Hear every rumor including some from sources not in the media who have connections to the team. Never once heard even a peep about this. 

2 minutes ago, wazu said:

I live in Kansas City and obsess morning, noon and night over this team. Hear every rumor including some from sources not in the media who have connections to the team. Never once heard even a peep about this. 

Sometimes you have to read between the lines

Sometimes you have to read between the lines

Read:  "make stuff up."

Obviously they don't love him enough to not draft a 1st round rb who wasn't even a 1st round grade 

If it helps, don't think of Edwards-Helaire as the last pick of the first round; think of him as the first pick of the second round.

Just now, AxeElf said:

If it helps, don't think of Edwards-Helaire as the last pick of the first round; think of him as the first pick of the second round.

Damien Williams knew he wasn't going to be much of a part of the offense. It probably helped his decision to not play. 

24 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

This exactly.  Both actually... 

24 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Damien Williams knew he wasn't going to be much of a part of the offense. It probably helped his decision to not play. 

Dude.  Stop.  Go read up on why DWill opted out.  

Yes but he made up for it in the post season... 

A big factor in drafting CEH was the fact that Damien would’ve been in his last year of his 2 year deal.  I’m sure they weren’t resigning him, leaving CEH to take over after sharing a backfield with DW for his rookie year.  

Now that Williams opted out KC will still have his 1 year deal to fulfill when he returns.  Remember that the opt out essentially freezes the contact and then it resumes the following season as original termed.  

13 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Dude.  Stop.  Go read up on why DWill opted out.  

I know the main reason. But this could have played a part. 

10 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Why haven't more players opted out? Baseball had players opt out out yet they are playing. The mlb players union was stronger than the NFL union. A big reason is because NFL players cave to make sure they get paid. This is no different. 

Because it just started. And just today more have.  

I know the main reason. But this could have played a part. 

No I’m sorry but I don’t think it did. 

He listed the reason, and I’m good with that decision, he was the only rb behind CEH with any real upside, so there was still enough work for him. 

If he did take the opt out based on not being given enough playing time in being in some ones dog, house, than he won’t play again in the nfl. 

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Inadmissible; it calls on knowledge of the operation of Damien Williams' mind, to which you are not privy.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Inadmissible; it calls on knowledge of the operation of Damien Williams' mind, to which you are not privy.

The chiefs drafted their starting running back this year. You need to be careful of players that pop in the playoffs but we're not consistent in the regular season

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

The chiefs drafted their starting running back this year.

Possibly.  We just don't know WHEN he will be starting, if ever.  With the incumbent starting RB bowing out, it does give him a clearer path to earlier playing time, for sure.

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You need to be careful of players that pop in the playoffs but we're not consistent in the regular season

I am especially wary of players who opt to sit out the season.  Don't worry; I will not be drafting Damien Williams.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Because it just started. And just today more have.  

And yet it's still no one who really matters. Let me know when the top players start opting out en masse

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

And yet it's still no one who really matters. Let me know when the top players start opting out en masse

Really, I’ve send a few good oline players that do matter to their respective teams, don’t they? And some defense players they matter to their teams don’t they? And they matter to ff owners also. 

I think D Williams matters, doesn’t he? 

I hope no one would opt out, but I understand why they are doing so, and I’m sure you’ll know. 

Harder for a stud player to opt out at least I think so, they make a lot of money, but family and their own personal health would over ride that I’m sure.  

But either why I hope I won’t need to inform you if or some of those top players opt out, let’s hope you’ll know like the rest.  

Hey thanks. 

10 hours ago, jrokh said:

I had similar thoughts.  I'm disappointed because I had targeted D Williams in the later rounds, thought he was great value.  The Chiefs were adding youth and talent but are in a position to groom and develop an RB.

I can't see them using a rookie in the backfield with a franchise QB in the balance.  I think KC might pick up a veteran - maybe bite the bullet and pay for D Freeman.

Don’t see them using D Thompson in that similar role, As D Williams?m

And I agree that D Williams was a later round target, that I saw as a darn good value, we saw last season despite what others said, that Reid will be willing to use a rotation at the rb position. 

Thanks m.