Sign in to follow this  
lickin_starfish

Smokers Thread

I have an Akorn Kamado smoker. It's nice, but nothing fancy. I usually have to tend to the coals to keep the temperature where I want it, and it's a pain for long smokes.

I hooked up a Pitmaster IQ to it today, and what a difference. 😀 It kept the temperature close to the setpoint, so I was able to swim and drink beers without worrying about the coals.

Will get a smoker and a black stone griddle once we move. 

any suggestions on a smoker? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I've only used a Brinkmann and the Akorn Kamado. I liked the Brinkmann because I could add coals through the door if needed. The Akorn has thicker walls and holds heat better.

There are way better smokers available than what I've used, and I'm no pro at it yet. 

I have a cheap masterbuilt. Works just fine. Even one a couple competitions with it 

11 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I've only used a Brinkmann and the Akorn Kamado. I liked the Brinkmann because I could add coals through the door if needed. The Akorn has thicker walls and holds heat better.

There are way better smokers available than what I've used, and I'm no pro at it yet. 

I’m not looking for any competitive smoking. I just want something that’ll do the job and isn’t extremely big. I’ll have to check those out 

I have the 18.5 in Weber Smokey Mountain.

I have put casters on the legs, gaskets round the lid and doors, and bought a Raspberry Pi temperature controller with blower fan.  There are a few more upgrades I want to do.

Just pulled a 4lb pork shoulder, smoked at 275 for about 5 hours.  I used a little apple and hickory wood.  It's gonna be damn good!

• Like 2

There is a science to BBQ - good BBQ anyway... But at the end of the day BBQ is fire, smoke, meat. 

You can produce fantastic product on a $200 Oklahoma Joe smoker just as you could on a $10k Jambo or Yoder.. The difference lies in how you go about it... The Jambo types are double insulted, 1/4" beast who hold temp forever. Your lesser smokers will leak air, not hold temp - but as long as you babysit them 24/7, you can get great results. 

I appreciate the new pellt/automated smokers, but a monkey could cook on those. BBQ is a labor of love, give me a good old fashioned stick burner, offset smoker. Even a bottom line Oklahoma Joe. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

There is a science to BBQ - good BBQ anyway... But at the end of the day BBQ is fire, smoke, meat. 

You can produce fantastic product on a $200 Oklahoma Joe smoker just as you could on a $10k Jambo or Yoder.. The difference lies in how you go about it... The Jambo types are double insulted, 1/4" beast who hold temp forever. Your lesser smokers will leak air, not hold temp - but as long as you babysit them 24/7, you can get great results. 

I appreciate the new pellt/automated smokers, but a monkey could cook on those. BBQ is a labor of love, give me a good old fashioned stick burner, offset smoker. Even a bottom line Oklahoma Joe. 

You just called me a monkey.   :mad:

I love my campchef pellet grills.

10 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

You just called me a monkey.   :mad:

I love my campchef pellet grills.

Ha, no offense.

My pop has a Treager, and for some - they are practical. And although they can produce good product, I don't get the same kind of smoke ring or bark with them as I do traditional offset/reverse flow smokers. 

Tell you what though - it is cool to be able to throw on a brisket, go play golf - then come back and not worry about anything. Give the pellet smokers that. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 6:47 PM, Djgb13 said:

WSM 22.5