Mike Honcho

The Rock just bought the XFL ... seriously

SB Nation

In one of the most surprising twists of the sports year, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, in partnership with an investing firm, purchased the XFL from WWE for a reported $15M.

The league, which was set to be auctioned off as part of bankruptcy proceedings, never managed to make it to the gavel as Johnson partnered with RedBird Capital to purchase the league outright, according to a report from Sportico. The pair will split ownership, along with Johnson’s ex-wife Dany Garcia, who is his business partner. There has been no announcement whether there is a plan to relaunch the league, or if the acquisition was simply a play for its assets.

RedBird has made numerous sports-related purchases in recent years, including buying part of the Yankees’ YES network, French soccer team Toulouse, as well as investments in NFL properties. However, this recent purchase will make the most waves. Not only is this now the third attempt to do something with the XFL name, but involving The Rock will undoubtedly produce more interest in the league in whatever capacity it returns.

I don't know about the rest of you but I really enjoyed the XFL this year.  I thought they had a good product.

It's true that I was getting into the XFL this year.  I also think the NFL was on the verge of recognizing the XFL when covid hit. 

Any hope it won't be woke?

6 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Any hope it won't be woke?

The Crock is pretty woke so unlikely. You know what the crock is cooking?

Maybe all of those oppressed / woke a$$holes can jump ship from the NFL and give us back good old American Football again.

$15 million is not a lot of money for a sports league.  And even then it says he only bought it as part of a group ownership effort that included his ex-wife and Redbird Capital.  Johnson is reportedly worth $320 million and he chipped in maybe $5 million?  Honestly, the league could never see the light of day again and it wouldn't affect his net worth.  I do not see any article stating that Johnson was willing to inject the XFL with a serious amount of personal cash which it would likely need to get going again.

So I don't know what this is.  This smells like a situation where its actually Redbird Capital that bought the XFL and then asked the Rock to chip in for $250,000 as a publicity stunt which seems to be what they are cookin'.  For example, the Terminator movie franchise was bought by some startup production house, they slapped together a film, and then probably paid James Cameron $1 million to look at it and go "yeah ok" and then credited Cameron as executive producer just to get his name on the posters lolooololl.

• Like 1

People used to say George Bush, the dumb one, owned the Texas Rangers. He didn't. They were just using him. And he used them right back. 

The XFL's biggest problem was horrific OLine play.  it's really hard to find good OL'men.  More so if you're a league full of cast-off's.  Any good OL in the XFL will play only 1 year there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The XFL's biggest problem was horrific OLine play.  it's really hard to find good OL'men.  More so if you're a league full of cast-off's.  Any good OL in the XFL will play only 1 year there.

You would think good QBs would be hard to find as well but they had some solid play from a few guys.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

D lineman should have to count to 7 Mississippi before blitzing.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

D lineman should have to count to 7 Mississippi before blitzing.

It was almost that bad.

Electronic sports is the place to be.  Real people bashing into each other is soon gone with the dodo bird.  Has to be an asset play, certainly not talent.