Sign in to follow this  
Crestwood 2

Moving to Boston

Like in two weeks. Relocated from DC to Chicago in April and now my company is sending me to Boston.

I want to be downtown, in a hip, somewhat upscale neighborhood with great people watching. 

Where to fellas?? 

South Boston is now the hip area in the city. Corona is okay here. We are managing things. Outdoor dining in full force, but I don’t know what they will do in the winter. Restaurants are open to 25% capacity indoors.

It is a small city area-wise, so being in the immediate suburbs should be considered too.

It’s a nice city, but there is a wide variety of  diks. Rich ones, poor ones, not too many black ones. And they talk real stupid there. 

Thanks for the info so far. Looking forward to the move. Chicago sucks.

Also, I’ll be without a car. It’s a very walkable city from what I hear. Is that correct?

37 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Like in two weeks. Relocated from DC to Chicago in April and now my company is sending me to Boston.

I want to be downtown, in a hip, somewhat upscale neighborhood with great people watching. 

Where to fellas?? 

I live in Salem, check it out.  Tons of great restaurants, people watching is excellent, 20 min train to North station.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s a nice city, but there is a wide variety of  diks. Rich ones, poor ones, not too many black ones. And they talk real stupid there. 

It’ll be an upgrade from Chicago though I’m sure. I live in the Gold Coast which is very nice, but there are crackheads still all over the place.

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I live in Salem, check it out.  Tons of great restaurants, people watching is excellent, 20 min train to North station.

Thanks, but I’ll be working in Exchange Place. I always like to walk to work. Do people actually live there?

9 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Thanks, but I’ll be working in Exchange Place. I always like to walk to work. Do people actually live there?

walking might be tough..from Beacon Hill or the North End maybe

4 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

walking might be tough..from Beacon Hill or the North End maybe

I heard beacon hill is nice. Honestly I can’t wait to leave Chicago..... miserable city to live in. I’ve always loved coming here for work, but it’s not that great when you live here. 

Good idea to change sox every now and then.  Enjoy.  :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

I heard beacon hill is nice. Honestly I can’t wait to leave Chicago..... miserable city to live in. I’ve always loved coming here for work, but it’s not that great when you live here. 

Southend..nice, a lot of gay people.  

Beacon Hill..pricy, lawyers and politicians, next to the Common.

Cambridge..hipsters, would need the T.  

South Boston..Southie, St. Patricks day  parade, generally younger lot.  

North End..Italian, nice restaurants and bars, close to TD Garden, and Fanueil Hall area.

43 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Lol. What’s that mean? 

How old are you? 

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

North End..Italian, nice restaurants and bars, close to TD Garden, and Fanueil Hall area.

This is pretty solid advice. You don’t need a car in the city.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Feel glad you don't have to drive around that city street maze.

We make our roads so that outside a-holes can’t find where they are going.

8 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

How old are you? 

This is pretty solid advice. You don’t need a car in the city.

I’m 40. Can you walk from south end to exchange place?   Love those gay neighborhoods.....they usually keep them very nice!!

7 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

I’m 40. Can you walk from south end to exchange place?   Love those gay neighborhoods.....they usually keep them very nice!!

I’m 40!!!  

Some decent advice here so far.   Except for the wooden leg thing.   

Hard to make a recommendation as you didn't really indicate your price range.    Boston is crazy expensive.    But if your company is picking up the tab or throwing you a payment that helps offset then you may be able to do what you want.     Your work location is certainly prime, but that area is the home of $2 million dollar apartments, at least the ones with a water view.   

The T is pretty easy and goes everywhere.    So if you are in an area that is near a T stop then you are good.    Try to find one where you won't have to change trains to get to your work address.     Straight shot to your work address.    There's lots of options for that.

Your timing is lucky as ordinarily we would be about to see a massive influx of students all looking for a place to live.   But with the return to school stuff still up in the air you won't have to battle that tidal wave of bodies dropping on the rental market.    Define irony = NYers like HT badmouth Boston but then they all send their kids here to go to schoool. . . 

Also - are you single?   Bringing a girlfriend (or boyfriend, whatever floats your boat)?    That would kind of impact what you want to do too.  

You will love it.    Boston is a great, easy to manage city.    Between the big dig and all of the construction on the waterfront the city has really improved over the last 20 years.    It's a much nicer downtown area than it was before when Whitey Bulger was dumping bodies on the waterfront and a  bunch of it was run down waterfront docks.  

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you how sensitive and Bichy the Boston’s have become over the years. 

Try Lynn, Lynn the city of sin, you never come out the way you went in. Had a couple friends from there. They swear by that motto. 

19 hours ago, Herbivore said:

You left out Roxbury. None of our Massachusetts libtards recommended it . What gives? 

45 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You left out Roxbury. None of our Massachusetts libtards recommended it . What gives? 

If they found out he was a darkie, they'd be steering him there ASAP.  :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If they found out he was a darkie, they'd be steering him there ASAP.  :thumbsup:

Yup. Fake woke lives and breathes in the bay colony. 

19 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

We make our roads so that outside a-holes can’t find where they are going.

Sounds like all of Rhode Island. Seems like there’s about two road signs in that whole state, which granted is not big

10 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you how sensitive and Bichy the Boston’s have become over the years. 

Bitchy lol yeah you sure know about bitchy 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You cant walk to exchange place from there.  

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

You cant walk to exchange place from there.  

You can run though, if you are being chased.  :dunno:

14 hours ago, Masshole said:

Some decent advice here so far.   Except for the wooden leg thing.   

Hard to make a recommendation as you didn't really indicate your price range.    Boston is crazy expensive.    But if your company is picking up the tab or throwing you a payment that helps offset then you may be able to do what you want.     Your work location is certainly prime, but that area is the home of $2 million dollar apartments, at least the ones with a water view.   

The T is pretty easy and goes everywhere.    So if you are in an area that is near a T stop then you are good.    Try to find one where you won't have to change trains to get to your work address.     Straight shot to your work address.    There's lots of options for that.

Your timing is lucky as ordinarily we would be about to see a massive influx of students all looking for a place to live.   But with the return to school stuff still up in the air you won't have to battle that tidal wave of bodies dropping on the rental market.    Define irony = NYers like HT badmouth Boston but then they all send their kids here to go to schoool. . . 

Also - are you single?   Bringing a girlfriend (or boyfriend, whatever floats your boat)?    That would kind of impact what you want to do too.  

You will love it.    Boston is a great, easy to manage city.    Between the big dig and all of the construction on the waterfront the city has really improved over the last 20 years.    It's a much nicer downtown area than it was before when Whitey Bulger was dumping bodies on the waterfront and a  bunch of it was run down waterfront docks.  

Solo move. 
I’d like to keep price around 2500/month if that’s possible. One bedroom rental, not looking to buy. I paid 2500 last year in dc, excellent location and 2000 in Chicago, excellent location as well.