Big Ten now cancels football season...

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/08/10/big-ten-football-cancels-season-michigan-michigan-state/3332277001/

See you later, college football.

The Big Ten has voted to cancel the 2020 college football season in a historic move that stems from concerns related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Free Press.

The sources requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the decision. A formal announcement is expected to Tuesday, the sources said. 

The presidents voted, 12-2, Sunday to end the fall sports in the conference. Michigan and Michigan State — which both has physicians as presidents — voted to end the season, sources said. Only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play, Dan Patrick said on his radio show Monday. 

The move comes two days after the Mid-American Conference became the first in the FBS to cancel ts season, and sources told the Free Press the Big Ten is trying to coordinate its announcement with other Power Five conferences. 

Sources told the Free Press on Saturday that Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren prefers a spring football season, although no decision has been made. 

On Monday, Michigan State football moved its scheduled off day from Tuesday to Monday because of the uncertainty of the 2020 season, three people with direct knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. Iowa canceled Monday's 11 a.m. practice, according to the Des Moines Register. And Purdue reportedly rescheduled its media availability. 

As of Monday morning, MSU and Michigan players had not yet been told of any decision to cancel the 2020 season, sources at each school said. Two sources said MSU coaches were hopeful more information would be provided Monday.

Presidents are trying to figure out how all this fits with other conferences and they want athletic directors to handle logistics of determining if spring season is possible, sources told the Free Press. The situation reportedly is changing by the hour, which is why the Big Ten has not made its announcement official.

The cancellation of season comes a week after the Big Ten revealed an updated 10-game conference-only schedule for 2020, and just days after teams in the conference opened fall camp.

It also comes as players across the nation are opting out because of concerns about how the virus could impact their short- and long-term health. Four Michigan State players said they wouldn't play in 2020, and one team source said more players were expected to follow. 

MSU linebacker Marcel Lewis, who opted out Saturday, said he lost a family member to the virus and doesn't want to risk play. Offensive tackle Justin Stevens, who also opted out Saturday, said he has a respiratory condition that could make him high risk. A number of other players around the Big Ten — including Minnesota wide receiver Rashod Bateman, Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons and Purdue wideout Rondale Moore — also announced they would not play this season and begin preparation for the 2021 NFL draft.

Indiana offensive lineman Brady Feeney, whose is suffering from COVID-19-related heart issues and whose mother wrote an impassioned message imploring the college football world to take it seriously, took to Twitter on Monday morning with his own urging schools and players "to listen to our medical experts."

"Covid-19 is serious," Brady Feeney wrote. "I never thought that I would have serious health complications from this virus, but look at what happened."

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security and one of the members of the group advising the NCAA on COVID-19, told the Free Press on Saturday a college football season no longer appeared feasible. 

"When we were trying to think about ways to make it safe, we were at a time when there was kind of more control of the virus, and you've got less control of the virus now than we had several months earlier during when the stay at home orders were just starting to be lifted," Adalja said. "And then the other thing that's made it what made it much more difficult is football is a contact sport, which is going to require some amount of testing of players. The turnaround times for for outpatient testing are really unacceptable for being able to safely clear somebody to play.

"When you have this type of problem with testing, where it might take days to get a result back, it really makes it extremely challenging for this to occur."

Both MSU president Samuel Stanley (immunology and infectious diseases) and U-M president Mark Schlissel (immunology and internal medicine) are medical doctors.

It is interesting to note that there is actually nothing stopping the players from organizing their own football events.

Wow, was just reading this was a possibility in another article...  Article I was reading thought this might be the first domino for all the major conferences to cancel their football seasons.   

There is only one quality football team in that conference. 

• Haha 1

These places...organizations....etc etc etc are going to expect tax payers to offset their lost revenue.

Also Posty is faster than ESPN, as they still haven't posted a story on their site yet.   For all your breaking sports news,  @posty

• Thanks 1

It is a shame that fear triumps over common sense.   Might as well live in a bubble.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This virus is never going to go away just like the flu.

are we going to close down everything for 2 years while we figure out what to do?

ridiculous

Any league who wanted to could now become relevant, just by allowing a bunch of teenagers to play a game.

31 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Also Posty is faster than ESPN, as they still haven't posted a story on their site yet.   For all your breaking sports news,  @posty

Posty is an insider,  He shares his love of hating everything with Jim Harbaugh. 

• Haha 2

The pipeline is going to get clogged up if they don’t play in the spring. Lots of players won’t make the team when it resumes if they don’t play this year. 

The NWO must be celebrating as well as licking their chops for how much damage they've caused and what pushovers half of the people are. 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

LeBron has not confirmed the news so ESPN is skeptical 

I don't believe it's officially canceled yet.  Doesn't sound good though.  There was also a rumor circulating that Iowa, Michigan, Ohio St. and Nebraska could join the Big 12 in order to play.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't believe it's officially canceled yet.  Doesn't sound good though.  There was also a rumor circulating that Iowa, Michigan, Ohio St. and Nebraska could join the Big 12 in order to play.

If we are all lucky, this destroys the antiquated conference system once and for all.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

If we are all lucky, this destroys the antiquated conference system once and for all.

It could definitely mix things up, that's for sure.

56 minutes ago, jonmx said:

It is a shame that fear triumps over common sense.   Might as well live in a bubble.  

This just in, due to fears over the Covid virus, all bubbles will be closed to visitors until further notice.  

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Meanwhile, my QB is expressing how the players themselves want to play

That’s my quarterback, sniff sniff. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s my quarterback, sniff sniff. 

I knew if I said that you’d come out from under your bridge :lol:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Djgb13 said:

I knew if I said that you’d come out from under your bridge :lol:

It is easy to do that...

• Thanks 1

Big Ten is disputing this now...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-says-no-vote-has-been-held-despite-expectations-league-will-cancel-fall-2020-season/

Though there are expectations that the Big Ten may cancel its fall 2020 college football season on Tuesday, the conference says it has not come to that decision at this time. Responding to multiple reports on Monday, a Big Ten spokesman said the league has yet to formally vote on the matter.

"No vote has been held by our presidents and chancellors," the spokesman said.

According to the Detroit Free Press and radio host Dan Patrick, the Big Ten has all but decided not to move forward with playing college sports of any kind this fall. Though Patrick reported on his show that the Big Ten held a vote with league presidents opting by a 12-2 margin to not play this fall (Nebraska and Iowa were reportedly the dissenters), a formal vote has not been substantiated at this time.

For weeks, it was believed that if any Power Five conference decided to punt first on playing college football in the fall, it would be the Big Ten. After all, this was the conference that announced over a month ago it was moving to a conference-only schedule for the fall.

The Big Ten became the first conference to make such an adjustment in a move that blindsided other prominent college football decision-makers. In short order, the other Power Five conferences ultimately made similar moves albeit with varied configurations and projected start dates.

Power Five commissioners met on Sunday to discuss the viability of playing the season amid the coronavirus pandemic. Sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd that the meeting was previously scheduled with the commissioners set to meet again Monday.

Two Power Five athletic directors deemed "inevitable" the cancellation of fall sports and the 2020 college football season in conversations with Dodd on Saturday.

Though cancellations have been taking place at all levels of college football, only recently did they affect the 130-team FBS. UConn was the first FBS team to call curtains on a fall 2020 season, while the MAC was the first FBS conference to call off playing fall sports. Old Dominion on Monday became the first individual member of an FBS conference to cancel its season.

Just now, lickin_starfish said:

wearing a mask during every flu season from now on.

I think this will be the new normal...

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Not thinking Michigan would go, just based on.

The presidents voted, 12-2, Sunday to end the fall sports in the conference. Michigan and Michigan State — which both has physicians as presidents — voted to end the season, sources said. Only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play, Dan Patrick said on his radio show Monday. 

2 minutes ago, posty said:

Big Ten is disputing this now...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-says-no-vote-has-been-held-despite-expectations-league-will-cancel-fall-2020-season/

Though there are expectations that the Big Ten may cancel its fall 2020 college football season on Tuesday, the conference says it has not come to that decision at this time. Responding to multiple reports on Monday, a Big Ten spokesman said the league has yet to formally vote on the matter.

"No vote has been held by our presidents and chancellors," the spokesman said.

According to the Detroit Free Press and radio host Dan Patrick, the Big Ten has all but decided not to move forward with playing college sports of any kind this fall. Though Patrick reported on his show that the Big Ten held a vote with league presidents opting by a 12-2 margin to not play this fall (Nebraska and Iowa were reportedly the dissenters), a formal vote has not been substantiated at this time.

For weeks, it was believed that if any Power Five conference decided to punt first on playing college football in the fall, it would be the Big Ten. After all, this was the conference that announced over a month ago it was moving to a conference-only schedule for the fall.

The Big Ten became the first conference to make such an adjustment in a move that blindsided other prominent college football decision-makers. In short order, the other Power Five conferences ultimately made similar moves albeit with varied configurations and projected start dates.

Power Five commissioners met on Sunday to discuss the viability of playing the season amid the coronavirus pandemic. Sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd that the meeting was previously scheduled with the commissioners set to meet again Monday.

Two Power Five athletic directors deemed "inevitable" the cancellation of fall sports and the 2020 college football season in conversations with Dodd on Saturday.

Though cancellations have been taking place at all levels of college football, only recently did they affect the 130-team FBS. UConn was the first FBS team to call curtains on a fall 2020 season, while the MAC was the first FBS conference to call off playing fall sports. Old Dominion on Monday became the first individual member of an FBS conference to cancel its season.

My faith in Posty has been rocked to my core!  :shocking:

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Not thinking Michigan would go, just based on.

:lol:  I wouldn't want to be answering his phone calls right now. 

1 hour ago, riversco said:

It is interesting to note that there is actually nothing stopping the players from organizing their own football events.

Should be pretty simple to start a brand new football league in a couple of months.

1. Find millions in funding 
  2. Form a coalition between schools without actually using the schools name or likeness
  3. Find coaches that are willing to ruin there careers by defying their universities
  4. Find a company willing to insure you
  5. Design and supply new uniforms
  6. Secure venues
  7. Negotiate a tv contract

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

:lol:

That is okay, I don't have any faith in myself...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, posty said:

He wants the season played so he can lose to Ohio State again...

Yeah ok.   Did you read the article?  I think he makes a compelling case.   We have to get on with life at some point.  Sports aren’t necessary, but playing them in the COVID era can be done.  

Even one death of a student athlete would certainly be tragic, but we need to make decisions based on statistical evidence.   

How many of the positive tested staff members and players from all pro sports, and college football have died?  How many hospitalized?  How many fully recovered?  

Does anyone have those numbers or does anyone even care?  

20 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah ok.   Did you read the article?  I think he makes a compelling case.   We have to get on with life at some point.  Sports aren’t necessary, but playing them in the COVID era can be done.  

Even one death of a student athlete would certainly be tragic, but we need to make decisions based on statistical evidence.   

How many of the positive tested staff members and players from all pro sports, and college football have died?  How many hospitalized?  How many fully recovered?  

Does anyone have those numbers or does anyone even care?  

No I didn't read the article...  I was just making a joke at how great his record is against Ohio State while he has been at Michigan...

As for the season, postpone it to the spring, it won't hurt anything...  By then maybe things will be going much better and the country won't have to worry as much about it...

ACC and SEC will not cancel. Players in other conferences will ask for immediate transfer. 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

It strengthened mine.  He manned up and corrected himself.  

So if it is canceled and the NFL wants to play on Saturday the FCC would have to approve it. Lol. Trump should say no. Or wait until after week one and see if they disrespect the flag and NA.