Big Ten now cancels football season...

Every article is about how the big 10 is expected to cancel the season. There are even quite a few that head line "Big 10 cancels season" while the article itself says that the big 10 is EXPECTED to cancel the season. What a clown show. The media loves their new gold mine of corona fear

NFL schedule change coming? Saturday games likely to be added if college football gets canceled, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-schedule-change-coming-saturday-games-likely-to-be-added-if-college-football-gets-canceled-per-report/

If the Power Five conferences decide to cancel college football this season, that decision could end up having some major ramifications on the NFL's schedule for 2020. The NFL has been eyeing the college situation closely and one reason for that is because the league is apparently planning to make some major changes to its schedule if there's no college football. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, the NFL will "likely" add more Saturday games this year if there's no college season. 

To make this happen, the NFL would move several games that were originally scheduled for Sunday and put them on Saturday. One thing that's not clear is how many games would be scheduled for each Saturday and who would get to broadcast them, however, those are issues that could easily be hashed out before the start of the season if the Saturday games end up happening. 

Basically, the cancellation of the college season means the NFL would likely be adding Saturday games in September, October and November. Although the NFL puts Saturday games on its schedule nearly every season, those are always played in late December due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. When that was passed nearly 60 years ago, Congress gave the NFL an antitrust exemption for its broadcasting rights under the condition that the league wouldn't schedule games on Saturdays during the college football season or on Fridays during the high school football season. If both of those seasons are put on ice, that conceivably opens the door for the NFL to play on nearly any night it wants. 

Although it might sound difficult for the NFL to move games from Sunday to Saturday on such short notice, this is probably the one year where it won't be too hard. One concern with moving games is that it hurts fans, who would have to reschedule flights and re-book hotels. However, since there's a good chance that fans won't be in attendance this year -- and even if there are, there won't be a lot of them -- it will be a lot easier for the NFL to simply change the day of the game. 

Also, the idea of moving games from Sunday to Saturday isn't a new one. The 2020 schedule actually includes Saturday games in both Week 15 and Week 16 where teams will be flexed from Sunday to Saturday. 

If the NFL is trying to figure out the best way to incorporate the new Saturday games into the schedule, one of our editors here at CBSSports.com, R.J. White, actually had a brilliant idea on how to handle it and you can see that below.  

I imagine the logistics would be too difficult to work out, but if this happens the NFL should bump every TNF team's previous game from Sunday to Saturday. For example, CIN-CLE on TNF in Week 2 would mean Week 1's Saturday slate is LAC-CIN and CLE-BAL https://t.co/BdTW1pVJNl

— R.J. White (@rjwhite1) August 7, 2020

Basically, every team that plays on Thursday should have their game from the prior week moved from Sunday to Saturday so that they get one extra day of rest. In White's example, the Bengals and Browns would play on Saturday in Week 1, which would give them five days of rest before their Week 2 Thursday game (teams playing on Thursday usually get just four days of rest). 

This plan would make for some intriguing Saturday games. For instance, in Week 4, the Saturday double-header would be Colts at Bears and Chargers at Buccaneers. If the NFL uses its normal Saturday schedule that it has used for regular season games in the past, the games would kickoff at 4:35 p.m. ET and 8:15 p.m. ET. 

Of course, none of this will happen unless the college football season gets canceled and it's still not clear how everything is going to shake out. Over the weekend, CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd reported that multiple Power Five athletic Director's told him that the cancellation of the season felt "inevitable." Despite those comments, none of the Power Five conferences had officially announced any sort of cancellation as of Monday afternoon. For the latest on what's happening at the college level be sure to click here. 

----------------

Heck I doubt the NFL would make it through a season anyway...

9 minutes ago, posty said:

Do people forget how much money the NFL makes in a year? Do they also forget that NFL team owners want to make as much money as they can? Do people also also forget that most decisions are tied to money?

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Do people forget how much money the NFL makes in a year? Do they also forget that NFL team owners want to make as much money as they can? Do people also also forget that most decisions are tied to money?

Correct, but I also thought that money would keep March Madness from being canceled, but that didn't work...

19 minutes ago, posty said:

NFL schedule change coming? Saturday games likely to be added if college football gets canceled, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-schedule-change-coming-saturday-games-likely-to-be-added-if-college-football-gets-canceled-per-report/

If the Power Five conferences decide to cancel college football this season, that decision could end up having some major ramifications on the NFL's schedule for 2020. The NFL has been eyeing the college situation closely and one reason for that is because the league is apparently planning to make some major changes to its schedule if there's no college football. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, the NFL will "likely" add more Saturday games this year if there's no college season. 

To make this happen, the NFL would move several games that were originally scheduled for Sunday and put them on Saturday. One thing that's not clear is how many games would be scheduled for each Saturday and who would get to broadcast them, however, those are issues that could easily be hashed out before the start of the season if the Saturday games end up happening. 

Basically, the cancellation of the college season means the NFL would likely be adding Saturday games in September, October and November. Although the NFL puts Saturday games on its schedule nearly every season, those are always played in late December due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. When that was passed nearly 60 years ago, Congress gave the NFL an antitrust exemption for its broadcasting rights under the condition that the league wouldn't schedule games on Saturdays during the college football season or on Fridays during the high school football season. If both of those seasons are put on ice, that conceivably opens the door for the NFL to play on nearly any night it wants. 

Although it might sound difficult for the NFL to move games from Sunday to Saturday on such short notice, this is probably the one year where it won't be too hard. One concern with moving games is that it hurts fans, who would have to reschedule flights and re-book hotels. However, since there's a good chance that fans won't be in attendance this year -- and even if there are, there won't be a lot of them -- it will be a lot easier for the NFL to simply change the day of the game. 

Also, the idea of moving games from Sunday to Saturday isn't a new one. The 2020 schedule actually includes Saturday games in both Week 15 and Week 16 where teams will be flexed from Sunday to Saturday. 

If the NFL is trying to figure out the best way to incorporate the new Saturday games into the schedule, one of our editors here at CBSSports.com, R.J. White, actually had a brilliant idea on how to handle it and you can see that below.  

I imagine the logistics would be too difficult to work out, but if this happens the NFL should bump every TNF team's previous game from Sunday to Saturday. For example, CIN-CLE on TNF in Week 2 would mean Week 1's Saturday slate is LAC-CIN and CLE-BAL https://t.co/BdTW1pVJNl

— R.J. White (@rjwhite1) August 7, 2020

Basically, every team that plays on Thursday should have their game from the prior week moved from Sunday to Saturday so that they get one extra day of rest. In White's example, the Bengals and Browns would play on Saturday in Week 1, which would give them five days of rest before their Week 2 Thursday game (teams playing on Thursday usually get just four days of rest). 

This plan would make for some intriguing Saturday games. For instance, in Week 4, the Saturday double-header would be Colts at Bears and Chargers at Buccaneers. If the NFL uses its normal Saturday schedule that it has used for regular season games in the past, the games would kickoff at 4:35 p.m. ET and 8:15 p.m. ET. 

Of course, none of this will happen unless the college football season gets canceled and it's still not clear how everything is going to shake out. Over the weekend, CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd reported that multiple Power Five athletic Director's told him that the cancellation of the season felt "inevitable." Despite those comments, none of the Power Five conferences had officially announced any sort of cancellation as of Monday afternoon. For the latest on what's happening at the college level be sure to click here. 

----------------

Maybe they’ll play on Saturday on the moon. 

2 hours ago, nobody said:

Should be pretty simple to start a brand new football league in a couple of months.

1. Find millions in funding 
  2. Form a coalition between schools without actually using the schools name or likeness
  3. Find coaches that are willing to ruin there careers by defying their universities
  4. Find a company willing to insure you
  5. Design and supply new uniforms
  6. Secure venues
  7. Negotiate a tv contract

Or just run out onto a field somewhere and play.  Broadcast it over some phones.

13 minutes ago, posty said:

Correct, but I also thought that money would keep March Madness from being canceled, but that didn't work...

College sports are different. That was also before people had a grasp on the impact of covid.

The aliens are all laughing their asses off at us all

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, riversco said:

Or just run out onto a field somewhere and play.  Broadcast it over some phones.

Just watch ESPN The OCHO instead 

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

College sports are different. That was also before people had a grasp on the impact of covid.

I don't think people have a grasp on the impact or lack of impact I should say.

Let's think this through......you know actually think about it.

What happens to these college age kids when sports are canceled?   They'll go hang with each other anyway, probably go to parties and out to eat etc.   IF they know that they get tested all the time and catch Covid-19 they cannot play football they (or at least the majority) won't do that as much, some not at all as there are repercussions for doing so that MEAN something valuable to them, sports.  Without football a large number will get in trouble with all their free time, and not take school as serious.  Let's be honest, without football half of them couldn't even get in that school to begin with.  It's just the truth.

Football keeps most of these players "in line" to begin with and they'll take being safe off the field much more seriously.  They'll be tested regularly and have consequences.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I don't think have a grasp on the impact or lack of impact I should say.

We know it's not going to kill anywhere near as many people as were initially feared.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

We know it's not going to kill anywhere near as many people as were initially feared.

We know that. i don't think people know that.

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Nope, ACC and SEC have confirmed they are moving forward with football in the Fall

They should postpone and try in the spring as well...

Just now, posty said:

They should postpone and try in the spring as well...

No they shouldn't

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

No they shouldn't

So if it is bad for the Big Ten and D2 and D3, how can it be good for those conferences?

It just shows that it is all money driven...

I hope the Buckeyes play in the SEC this year and never return to the B1G

1 minute ago, posty said:

So if it is bad for the Big Ten and D2 and D3, how can it be good for those conferences?

It just shows that it is all money driven...

There is no proof that it is bad for the Big Ten, D2 and D3, zero, it's all speculation at this point.

It's always been about the money

• Thanks 1

DGAF. But this split season stuff is going to mess up the NFL draft. And as a Giants fan , I don’t like that. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

DGAF. But this split season stuff is going to mess up the NFL draft. And as a Giants fan , I don’t like that. 

There wont be any football in the Spring, it creates too many problems for Basketball and Baseball.  Those that dont play in the fall wont play in 2020

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The few players that need to worry about the draft will likely just sit out of their seasons are delayed.

37 minutes ago, posty said:

Do people think COVID will go away in the spring? Or is that when we stop the stupidity and just move forward?

Covid will outlive it's usefulness as a political tool after November 3rd.  I imagine we'll use a lot more common sense after the election.

• Thanks 1

Fear of liability is killing this nation. That's what this is all about. No one wants to be liable. 

The poster who said the players are going to make far worse choices than playing football is exactly right. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Do people think COVID will go away in the spring? Or is that when we stop the stupidity and just move forward?

I think most believe (hope?), there'll be a vaccine by then.

1 hour ago, Fumbleweed said:

Fear of liability is killing this nation. That's what this is all about. No one wants to be liable. 

The poster who said the players are going to make far worse choices than playing football is exactly right. 

Yep, and it’s why other conferences will follow suit.

4 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

There is no proof that it is bad for the Big Ten, D2 and D3, zero, it's all speculation at this point.

It's always been about the money

Exactly.  Dumb move by the Big 10.  My son is an ACC athlete and we just had a meeting last Friday about all the controls in place.  I came away from the meeting convinced that he is safer at school this fall than he would be here at home.  No doubt.  The controls they have instituted are extraordinary.  They are even providing meals to the athletes - and this is not optional it is mandatory.  The kids are basically all in a bubble together.

2 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Exactly.  Dumb move by the Big 10.  My son is an ACC athlete and we just had a meeting last Friday about all the controls in place.  I came away from the meeting convinced that he is safer at school this fall than he would be here at home.  No doubt.  The controls they have instituted are extraordinary.  They are even providing meals to the athletes - and this is not optional it is mandatory.  The kids are basically all in a bubble together.

Do you have any eligibility left? Might be worth going back for you too.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:36 AM, BiffTannen said:

ACC and SEC will not cancel. Players in other conferences will ask for immediate transfer. 

That's my worry. The Big Ten will be set back how long if/until the recover from this. They put themselves in danger of become a second tier conference when all their best players transfer.

20 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

That's my worry. The Big Ten will be set back how long if/until the recover from this. They put themselves in danger of become a second tier conference when all their best players transfer.

The ripple effect is going to be a real problem.  

Will all current scholarship players get another year of eligibility?  How will that effect the number of a a available scholarships for new recruits?  Even if they  figure that out, will there actually be any money to fund any scholarships?  

This is a disaster.  

27 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Oh bullchit. It’s the smart move. Everyone else is going to be dead.