Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

I doubt there are any Martini drinkers here BUT if there is

what is the ratio that you prefer?

Many request 6 parts Gin and 1 part Vermouth.  Others use the 3 oz Gin to 1 oz Vermouth.

Me, I like 1 1/2 oz Gin and 1 1/2 oz Vermouth.  Dry Vermouth  of course.  The sweet Vermouth is terrible.

Any Martini drinkers?

13 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Many request 6 parts Gin and 1 part Vermouth.  Others use the 3 oz Gin to 1 oz Vermouth.

Me, I like 1 1/2 oz Gin and 1 1/2 oz Vermouth.  Dry Vermouth  of course.  The sweet Vermouth is terrible.

Any Martini drinkers?

As little vermouth as possible. And vodka, not gin, ice cold. Two olives. 

I used to drink martinis.  Like both vodka and gin. a couple of drops of vermouth or dirty.

I will occasionally do gin with a couple of whiskey rocks. Sometimes a twist of lime...depends on the gin

29 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I used to drink martinis.  

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too. 

• Haha 1

If your a liberal, then go a virgin cosmo. You don't want to hurt yourself.

If conservative, Tito's vodka shaken with a ton of ice until as cold as it can get. Strain, dash of dry vermouth, three blue cheese stuffed olives scewered and set in drink. 

• Sad 1

I like dirty martinis, I have been drinking 1-2 a month recently. I like 2:1 gin or vodka to vermouth. 

I think I prefer gin, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Because I so rarely drink cocktails I bought some pretty decent gin and vodka. 

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I like dirty martinis, I have been drinking 1-2 a month recently. I like 2:1 gin or vodka to vermouth. 

I think I prefer gin, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Because I so rarely drink cocktails I bought some pretty decent gin and vodka. 

Gin is a Martini. Vodka is a Vodka Martini. Vodka, being sweeter than Gin, makes for a worse dry Martini, but probably a better dirty. 

12 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Any Martini drinkers?

I like it a variety of ways. Love it dirty with two olives. Prefer gin. Not vodka. With a twist. 

I also want to go to the martini bar in Vegas where they make all different kinds of martinis to try 

Short answer:  I like both vodka and gin, gin is more recent.  Slightly dirty on the vodka one.  I guess 3 or 4:1 is how they make it generally, I'm not that picky and I like vermouth (both dry and sweet, in a Manhattan for instance).

Longer answer.  Back when people could travel to visit customers, a slightly dirty vodka martini with three olives was on my standard list of drinks.  For you two olive heretics, some people believe it is bad luck, you should move to three.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+two+olives+in+a+martini+bad+luck&oq=is+two+olives+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0.5436j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I used to like gin but once I got married it was unwelcome in my house as my wife's family has some bad history with gin.  No big deal as there are plenty of other alcohols.  Fast forward to two months ago, wife and I were in Prescott and visited the Thumb Butte distillery.  We thought it would be bourbon/whiskey only, which she doesn't like but she knows I like so she just tagged along.  Ends up they make gin and vodka as well, so she got a tasting flight of that and I got the whiskeys.  The vodka tasted like... all vodkas, they pretty much all taste the same IMO.  It's like chicken, you get it for the flavoring you add.  The gins however were quite good.  One in particular, Western Sage, has a hint of... sage, slightly noticeable if you pay attention but not at all overpowering like those flavored vodkas.  They sell it at Total Wine if you want to give it a try:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/gin/thumb-butte-western-sage-gin/p/151896750?s=1004&igrules=true

One last thing:  if you like gin and sweet (not dry) vermouth, try a drink called a Negroni.  The official recipe is one part each gin, sweet vermouth, and campari (bitter), with a slice of orange as garnish.  I make mine with Aperol instead of Campari (less bitter, and we have it in our bar), and two jiggers orange bitters instead of the slice.  I also do 3 parts gin instead of 1, because I like it to be a gin-focused drink.  That thing goes down quickly if you aren't careful.  :cheers:

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

I like it a variety of ways. Love it dirty with two olives. Prefer gin. Not vodka. With a twist. 

I also want to go to the martini bar in Vegas where they make all different kinds of martinis to try 

I like gin with tonic and lime. I prefer Hendricks and really like Tanqueray as well. 

14 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Any Martini drinkers?

And why do you doubt it? Because you’re an elitist doosh? 

Martinis are like boobs. Ones not enough and three are too many.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Martinis are like boobs. Ones not enough and three are too many.  

Unless you are in the movie Total Recall, then 3 is just right.

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I like gin with tonic and lime. I prefer Hendricks and really like Tanqueray as well. 

There’s a great place here in Charleston called the Gin Joint. Place is fantastic and has some of the best drinks. They’ve got a wide variety of Gin. They make some damn good gin martinis 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

There’s a great place here in Charleston called the Gin Joint. Place is fantastic and has some of the best drinks. They’ve got a wide variety of Gin. They make some damn good gin martinis 

Right on. Been there. Got in for last call. Pretty cool place. 

We were just doing a little trip and stopped in Savannah and Charlston. Found my first drink that incorporated jalapenos in Savannah. Awesome. 

Then in Charleston, went to a bunch of places and my girlfriend had this place on her list to go to. Glad we went.  

For my fellow gin drinkers, try Monkey 47 when you have an opportunity.

40 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Right on. Been there. Got in for last call. Pretty cool place. 

We were just doing a little trip and stopped in Savannah and Charlston. Found my first drink that incorporated jalapenos in Savannah. Awesome. 

Then in Charleston, went to a bunch of places and my girlfriend had this place on her list to go to. Glad we went.  

There’s a place down here that uses a habanera infused gin. Legit delicious. Could NOT get enough of it 

I was a vodka man my whole life then recently have switched to gin. After making my bloody Mary’s with gin (red snapper) I can’t go back to vodka. We usually enjoy simple cocktails like gin with a soda and lime, I like mine bolder with at least a flavored soda.

7 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

There’s a place down here that uses a habanera infused gin. Legit delicious. Could NOT get enough of it 

I would try that. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

I would try that. 

If you liked the jalapeño one then you’d love the habanero one. Not too spicy but enough kick to let you know it’s there