kozmiq

Do you believe in God ?

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

So what? In this country we are asked to tolerate and be civil, not to cater to and help build up opposing ideas or lifestyles. 

It's like saying if a vinyl record store opened up, and they choose not to include certain rap "artists" in their selection, then they are being racist or whatever the new offense is today. 

Last I checked, the government lives this everyday when they fight over shlt. 

This post is exactly my point. Treating others as equals is "catering" to the religious right. 

You talk about happy, unhappy, etc...no better proves thats crap than the bakery. Religious folks run a bakery and gasp! Clutch your pearls a gay couple wants a cake..outrage!! I run a bakery and two dudes want a cack on their cake? Cool..want it veiny? 

But this idea that you're catering to people who just want the same abilities is exactly why...

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yep. And he's the one complaining about it but can't disprove God. So....I'm wondering how the creation of humans and their consciousness came about. How the universe was created. Was there ever a prime mover to instigate it all or was it just forever that it existed. What is the concept of forever? 

How did the human mind grow into its current state? Why has religion or belief been around since the beginning to human thought? 

Meh, no God.  No nothing. It's simply that there is no God. Move on I guess is the attitude. :dunno: 

Again...if you believe the onus is on YOU not me. If I actually was claiming there were purple unicorns it would be laughable for me to go.."Oh ya!!? Prove there isnt!" Dumb. 

No. I've always thought of the bible as an adult comic book.

And you shouldn't have to be part of a certain religion, or political party. To just be a normal person, that's kind to others. If someone's kind to you, be kind to them. If someone's a d1ck to you, be a bigger d1ck back. 

I have always thought though. That churches are just absolutely beautiful architectural designs. If that's your thing and you don't try to "convert me". Then you do your thing, and believe, and enjoy. And I'll do mine. If you don't talk me into it. I'll never try talking you out of it.

Absolutely!

btw.......this is a VERY interesting documentary, minus the library scenes.

20 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Again...if you believe the onus is on YOU not me. If I actually was claiming there were purple unicorns it would be laughable for me to go.."Oh ya!!? Prove there isnt!" Dumb. 

The onus is not on me. I am not trying to convince you of anything. I accept the fact that there are people who do not believe. Just like that I accept the fact that that some people think that the consciousness exists, yet can't be proven in any definitive manner mathematically. It's all current day definitions just like when the theory of gravity was considered occult thinking. 

"I think therefore I am" proves nothing other than by a human crafted definition.

There are many inexplicable things that we have on this earth that cannot be explained but yet the default for some is, "well, I'm sure there is some mathematical reason for it, or something even though it can't be proven."

I didn't come to you and put down you not believing in God, you came to me and asked me to prove it. So since you started it, I think the onus is on you.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

This post is exactly my point. Treating others as equals is "catering" to the religious right. 

You talk about happy, unhappy, etc...no better proves thats crap than the bakery. Religious folks run a bakery and gasp! Clutch your pearls a gay couple wants a cake..outrage!! I run a bakery and two dudes want a cack on their cake? Cool..want it veiny? 

But this idea that you're catering to people who just want the same abilities is exactly why...

Your message is way off. They didn't "Clutch the pearls". They respectfully said they have different beliefs and would assist them in finding someone else to help them. 

Let's compare the truth with what you posted.

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

The onus is not on me. I am not trying to convince you of anything. I accept the fact that there are people who do not believe. Just like that I accept the fact that that some people think that the consciousness exists, yet can't be proven in any definitive manner mathematically. It's all current day definitions just like when the theory of gravity was considered occult thinking. 

I think therefore I am proves nothing other than by a human crafted definition.

There are many inexplicable things that we have on this earth that cannot be explained but yet the default for some is, "well, I'm sure there is some mathematical reason for it, or something even though it can't be proven."

I didn't come to you and put down you not believing in God, you came to me and asked me to prove it. So since you started it, I think the onus is on you.  

I'm not proving YOUR beliefs are true. Seems something you're that passionate about and build your life around could be proven...guess not. 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

for the 3rd time. Religious right has kept down and persecuted the gay community for basically ever, and is responsible for their inability to go to certain establishments, can't get certain services or are in general maligned. Sorry but that's some BS. 

We have a number of gay singles and gay couples in our church, and we never had a problem with gays. Our message has always been God created us all and he loves us. And yes he loves you if you would just open to him. He is there for you. 

Why do you lump all religious people in one bucket? It is very shortsighted, shallow and insulting. For someone who is a non believer you sure claim to be an expert on religion and its beliefs.

Just now, cyclone24 said:

I'm not proving YOUR beliefs are true. Seems something you're that passionate about and build your life around could be proven...guess not. 

You are not proving MY beliefs are wrong. Seems something you're that passionate about and build your life around could be proven...guess not.

Let's get back to this. How did all this play out again? This time in reality speak. 

27 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

We have a number of gay singles and gay couples in our church, and we never had a problem with gays. Our message has always been God created us all and he loves us. And yes he loves you if you would just open to him. He is there for you. 

Why do you lump all religious people in one bucket? It is very shortsighted, shallow and insulting. For someone who is a non believer you sure claim to be an expert on religion and its beliefs.

Ok yeah religion is just the bastion of gay tolerance. Please. Just because you have a few gay couples you've allowed (against the tenets of the bible) doesnt mean that the church hasn't been terrible to those people. Most religious folks treat the bible like trail mix and just grab the parts they like...thats all that happened here.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, lod001 said:

i believe there is something after life and no one knows what it is so going to church to attempt to bribe your way into a place I'll be as well is wasting what little time you have on this planet.

Going to church does not get you to heaven.

6 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Ok yeah religion is just the bastion of gay tolerance. Please. Just because you have a few gay couples you've allowed (against the tenets of the bible) doesnt mean that the church hasn't been terrible to those people. Most religious folks treat the bible like trail mix and just grab the parts they like...thats all that happened here.

You just keep throwing out the atheists sound bytes. I’ve known hundreds of true Christians and that is true of any of them. I would say my experience trumps yours. We are all sinners and are not perfect but we do the best we can. 

l guess you don’t even see your own bigotry.

48 minutes ago, Kopy said:

No. I've always thought of the bible as an adult comic book.

And you shouldn't have to be part of a certain religion, or political party. To just be a normal person, that's kind to others. If someone's kind to you, be kind to them. If someone's a d1ck to you, be a bigger d1ck back. 

I have always thought though. That churches are just absolutely beautiful architectural designs. If that's your thing and you don't try to "convert me". Then you do your thing, and believe, and enjoy. And I'll do mine. If you don't talk me into it. I'll never try talking you out of it.

The Bible is a record of Jewish History.

Just now, Baker Boy said:

Or is it?

Batman origins is a record of Bruce Wayne's history.

Or is it?

Guys don't part seas. Batman never battled the joker.

Like I said earlier. The believers do theirs, I'll do mine. As long as it's kept to ourselves, to each there own. Enjoy what you do/believe, or don't do.

33 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Or is it?

Batman origins is a record of Bruce Wayne's history.

Or is it?

Guys don't part seas. Batman never battled the joker.

Like I said earlier. The believers do theirs, I'll do mine. As long as it's kept to ourselves, to each there own. Enjoy what you do/believe, or don't do.

You can’t take a 5000 Year old manuscript that has been translated multiple times and take it literally in 2020 AD.  Things were extremely different then and geography was different. If you believe the movie version I understand your confusion. We don’t know what the Red Sea was like where Moses crossed but an environmental event could have caused a portion of it to go dry. Noah and the flood is the same. The Bible said the whole world was flooded, well they were talking about the world they knew, they had no idea how big the world was. But floods are still common today and cause destruction. Noah build a boat for what ever reason, when the rain started and caused a flood he proactively put everything he could on it and was saved from drowning. 

BTW: Both of these events have been computer simulated to be possible due to environmental situations.

Mount Ararat and the Red Sea are still here but there never was a Gotham City.

3 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Cute but jibberish. The onus is not on me to prove your God.

Here...give me 1 ounce of evidence of an afterlife without using a Bible verse. 

I’ll give you a little education so you don’t sound so clueless when arguing religion and pretending to be an expert. That quote is not from the Bible it is from Thomas Aquinas.

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

I’ll give you a little education so you don’t sound so clueless when arguing religion and pretending to be an expert. That quote is not from the Bible it is from Thomas Aquinas.

Page 2...asked for any proof of an afterlife...still nothing. How sad. Seems like an expert on religion...not lowly ol me could come up with something.  Guess not. 

Yes... 

I sort of chuckle how Christians are supposed to be so intolerant....  wow... looked at the world much lately?  Last best hope really...

2 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Why does anyone need to care about what you are asking for? You don't care what some of a few of the religious community cares for. If some baker doesn't want to build a dlck cake, I have no problem with that. You do. So what? That's why we have capitalism. Cause others will do it for you if one won't. Get over it.

Are people not allowed to choose a target audience in their businesses anymore? 

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

31 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If some baker doesn't want to serve a black person, I have no problem with that. You do. So what? That's why we have capitalism. Cause others will do it for you if one won't. Get over it.

Are people not allowed to choose a target audience in their businesses anymore? 

Replace the words, same idea. 

How Christian and tolerant.

13 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Replace the words, same idea. 

How Christian and tolerant.

So Christians now are in the race business? You keep moving the goal posts. What are talking about anyway? Plus, believing in God is now solely a Christian thing? 

You are so randomly throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks. 

Take a break dude. Relax and use your mind for a little while. Learn some history would help. Just think about this whole universe not being about you and what you think is true or not.

26 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

So Christians now are in the race business? You keep moving the goal posts. What are talking about anyway? Plus, believing in God is now solely a Christian thing? 

You are so randomly throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks. 

Take a break dude. Relax and use your mind for a little while. Learn some history would help. Just think about this whole universe not being about you and what you think is true or not.

Try and keep up. I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is to treat others differently which religion has (obviously) taught is perfectly ok to do. THATS what we are talking about. 

And again...give me proof of an afterlife without using a bible verse? Seems like that would be easy to do (shrug)

3 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

It's a bummer that Christianity had to glom onto intolerant Judaism to spread, because the stuff in the New Testament is pretty out there for the times; still relevant 2000+ years later.

Anyway to the OP, I don't particularly believe in the Judeo-Christian God or any sentient being directing/monitoring the outcome of things, but I do find myself getting more spiritual as I get older.  My wife got into meditation and I recently started as well.  Meditation is like prayer, in fact in a way it basically is prayer, except it is more guided and focused.  I think Christians could benefit tremendously in improving their prayer by learning to meditate.  I am using the Waking Up app by Sam Harris; there is nothing anti-God in it.  Focus on breathing, sensations, noises.  Observe thoughts as they pop into your head, then just start over.

So basically I believe in the power of meditation/prayer, and both the power of positive thoughts in general, for both yourself and for others. 

I went to a wonderful Catholic elementary school and briefly to a terrific all girls Catholic high school and even to an all girls Catholic College (although I graduated from a state school). My father was a United Methodist Pastor and I don't think you can avoid Christianity while living in the United States. I've been to church all of my life but I find the Bible is just stories that attempt to explain life's beginnings and how one should treat others and how to cope with day to day trials and tribulations. Clearly, the world was not created in 7 days, there was no world wide flood and Noah certainly couldn't fit all the animals of the earth in an ark. Jesus didn't fulfill the requirements to be the Messiah or else the Jews would believe in him, they don't. They also don't believe in Hell so why should I? If there is a God he certainly didn't do much to save the Jews during the Holocaust or bring them peace in Israel. He doesn't seem to be a friend to black people either. Praying doesn't seem to help much in influencing things, although it does give inner peace. I don't think living a good saintly life gives you earthly rewards. Apparently, lying manipulative jerks do quite well here. Heaven? An eternity doing what, sitting around looking at earthlings? That doesn't seem fun or rewarding. Maybe we just made up heaven in order to make it all make sense. I have no idea if there is or is not a God. Based on the science I do know, if there is a God he/she/it is far more complex than my human brain could ever fathom. I just choose to live according the laws and try to be kind and understanding to others.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

I went to a wonderful Catholic elementary school and briefly to a terrific all girls Catholic high school and even to an all girls Catholic College (although I graduated from a state school). My father was a United Methodist Pastor and I don't think you can avoid Christianity while living in the United States. I've been to church all of my life but I find the Bible is just stories that attempt to explain life's beginnings and how one should treat others and how to cope with day to day trials and tribulations. Clearly, the world was not created in 7 days, there was no world wide flood and Noah certainly couldn't fit all the animals of the earth in an ark. Jesus didn't fulfill the requirements to be the Messiah or else the Jews would believe in him, they don't. They also don't believe in Hell so why should I? If there is a God he certainly didn't do much to save the Jews during the Holocaust or bring them peace in Israel. He doesn't seem to be a friend to black people either. Praying doesn't seem to help much in influencing things, although it does give inner peace. I don't think living a good saintly life gives you earthly rewards. Apparently, lying manipulative jerks do quite well here. Heaven? An eternity doing what, sitting around looking at earthlings? That doesn't seem fun or rewarding. Maybe we just made up heaven in order to make it all make sense. I have no idea if there is or is not a God. Based on the science I do know, if there is a God he/she/it is far more complex than my human brain could ever fathom. I just choose to live according the laws and try to be kind and understanding to others.

This doesn't sound like you've had the poor, hard luck life you've led us to believe.

• Thanks 1

No lol. No one with any sense of logic grounded in reality believes in magic lands where arbitrarily judged good or bad people go when they die or magical wizards in the sky. All because they have been indoctrinated to believe in it from people thousands of years ago and zero in actual reality to base it off of. It’s one of the most baffling aspects of humankind and reality tbh. How fiercely people will defend things that blatantly and inarguably don’t and can’t exist.

”Someone that listens to your prayers. 😂”  Id say you cant make this stuff up but people did and still do. New religions are being invented. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Page 2...asked for any proof of an afterlife...still nothing. How sad. Seems like an expert on religion...not lowly ol me could come up with something.  Guess not. 

Did you really walk into this thread thinking that anyone could provide you with proof of an afterlife?

2 hours ago, peenie said:

You seemed to have picked up more about Jews and their beliefs than anything, despite your background.

6 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Did you really walk into this thread thinking that anyone could provide you with proof of an afterlife?

I could but they seem to have taken that Rue McClanahan celebrity ghost story off of youtube.  <_<

9 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Do you believe in God ?

I believe that you should stop posting here. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Fine then understand that people will think its delusional, borderline mental health issues if you base your life, time, and actions based off a concept you can't prove to a "god" you can't speak with or see. 

Again if it makes you a better person doing it? Great. Its weird.

8 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

for the 3rd time. Religious right has kept down and persecuted the gay community for basically ever, and is responsible for their inability to go to certain establishments, can't get certain services or are in general maligned. Sorry but that's some BS. 

Just religious people , throughout history? Ignorant or making it up. Your choice. 

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Just religious people , throughout history? Ignorant or making it up. Your choice. 

Mmm yeah. Tell me how supportive the religious right has been towards gays...ill wait. 

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

Mmm yeah. Tell me how supportive the religious right has been towards gays...ill wait. 

I didn’t say they were. I’m saying they aren’t and what haven’t been the only ones. Oh wait, this is just an attack on one certain religion. Just say that then.