Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Who is you favorite breakout player this year?

I'm not looking for discussions, or thread wars here. This is just a to each there own question. It's O.K. if you end up being wrong. But we all got our guy who we're just certain of.

Who's the guy you're all in on, you just know it. And why. Position doesn't matter. QB, RB, WR, TE. With drafts fast approaching, is there something we've might've missed on someone that we can all help each other out.

I haven't been too diligent this season since I'm not planning to invest any money in FF this year, but I've got a few guys I would probably be targeting.

QB - As far as BREAKOUT player, I'd probly hafta go with Drew Lock, with a nod to Daniel Jones as an Honorable Mention--but there are some under-valued veterans who should have solid resurgences, too, like Stafford and Brady.

RB - Nothing real obvious here, other than Edwards-Helaire, but he's no secret; none of the other rookie RBs are really in a prime position to "break out" this year, as most will probly be RBBC members.  At his ADP, though, I would probly be targeting Nyheim Hines a lot in PPR leagues.

WR - I have a hard time believing that AJ Green won't outperform a 6th-round ADP, but again, that's more of a comeback than a breakout.  I have my eye on Preston Williams as a breakout candidate in 2020, and I would want him in the double-digit rounds of every draft.

TE - Hayden Hurst; he has Dirk Koetter as his OC--'nuff said.

QB- Kyler Murray. Chalky yes, but will still bust out big time

RB- Jonathan Taylor- Second half stud

RB- Kareem Hunt- I'm counting it as a mini breakout considering the last few years.

WR- Anthony Miller- Keeps getting better

WR- Dionte Johnson- Betting on Ben

TE- Jonnu Smith- TE1 in Tenn is usually good in fantasy

TE- Hayden Hurst- no brainer

I’d like to say Jalen Hurd but let’s have him get on the field first. 

Miles Sanders, RB, Philly- The eagles backfield has been kind of a mess for a while now, one of the main reasons, they haven't had a lot of talent. Until now. Sanders had an excellent end to last season. I think he picks up where he left off and has a top 10 fantasy season.

Calvin Ridley, WR, Atl- Entering his 3rd season Ridley has been a solid player for two years, but not really more than a flex play. He kind of reminds me of how Julio Jones broke in behind Roddy White as the Falcons 2nd WR. With Sanu and Hopper gone, Ridley should get more looks from Matt Ryan. I think he takes a big step this season and is a solid WR2 ready to take over the top WR spot in Atlanta for an aging Julio Jones in the next couple of seasons.

Blake Jarwin, TE, Dal- Jarwin is a pretty decent receiving TE and is about the only option at the position for a loaded offense. I think he takes full advantage and is a solid starting fantasy TE this season.

Let’s see at.  

Qb I’ll take Mayfield, I was going to say K Murray, but was the 7th highest scoring Qb last season. 

Rb.  I’ve been taking M Sanders on every other tread, so he’s still my pick here, sorry to copy. 

Wr.  I’ll take M Brown, I think of L Jackson improves in the passing game, M Brown should see a uptick in ff points , more rec more yards.  

Te. N Fant could be a top 7 te this season.  

Thanks OP these threads are always fun to participate in.  

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

QB- Kyler Murray. Chalky yes, but will still bust out big time

This is the 2020 thread.  Murray broke out in 2019.

I've always liked Anthony Miller, going back to college, but I hate his situation--bad QB, bad offense... he should have a higher ceiling than he does in Chicago.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

This is the 2020 thread.  Murray broke out in 2019.

Not really, I'm suggesting he breaks out from a top 10 QB to Top 5 if not top 3. You could say the same thing about Miles Sanders already breaking out, but he is on everyone else's list.

I don't know if this exactly fits a breakout list, but what about Alex Smith?

He's been cleared to play for the Football Team. I don't know if they're all in on Haskins or not, but he could very well be the starter.

Any chance he's fantasy relevant this season?

48 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Not really, I'm suggesting he breaks out from a top 10 QB to Top 5 if not top 3. You could say the same thing about Miles Sanders already breaking out, but he is on everyone else's list.

He was #7 last year, so top 5 isn't a major leap.  In fact, there's really no room to "break out" any more than he did in achieving QB7 status as a 2019 rookie.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

He was #7 last year, so top 5 isn't a major leap.  In fact, there's really no room to "break out" any more than he did in achieving QB7 status as a 2019 rookie.

If he finishes top 3 it is a major breakout and leap. Is that better. How about you define breakout your way and I'll stick with mine: Breakout player # 1 QB- Kyler Murray...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

If he finishes top 3 it is a major breakout and leap. Is that better. How about you define breakout your way and I'll stick with mine:

Well, there's the bottom line, isn't it--definitions.  You call improving from #7 to #3 "breaking out"; I call it "inching up."

I call finishing QB7 as a rookie "breaking out."

11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, there's the bottom line, isn't it--definitions.  You call improving from #7 to #3 "breaking out"; I call it "inching up."

I call finishing QB7 as a rookie "breaking out."

Good for you Jack!

Didn’t Ekeler have his break out season last year? 

25 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Didn’t Ekeler have his break out season last year? 

No.  In non-PPR, Ekeler was only the RB7.

As @jrokh has pointed out above, this is a fairly pedestrian feat.  Now, maybe if Ekeler can improve to top 3, he will break out THIS year.

14 hours ago, LaChup said:

I know this may be a little controversial, but Rae Carruth?

Controversial?

Baby Mama Lives matter!

Not a political or race based comment, so don't start

I had a few words with him when getting his autograph after his rookie year. I thought he was a nice kid. I was wrong.

2 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Sam Darnold. 

Ask a question, why and how high do you think he’ll finish? 

On 8/17/2020 at 11:58 PM, LaChup said:

I know this may be a little controversial, but Rae Carruth?

😆😆

Actually he was released about two years ago

QB- Gardner Minshew// Chark best of Jags WRs and they could find themselves behind alot so Gardner will be slinging it. Hope he can keep turnovers & INT's down (i.e..Winston). He'll definitely outproduce his fantasy ADP.

RB- Ronald Jones II// A lot of focus will be on WRs Evans, Godwin and on TE Gronkowski. Think he'll improve his pass catching and the Bucs could be ahead in a lot of games thus I see more opportunities for Jones to produce. He's got incentive to with Vaughn lurking in the shadows.

WR- Christian Kirk// A lot of coverage gonna go to Hopkins and Fitzgerald will still be on the field so I see Kirk getting a fair amount of targets. You know Kingsbury will wanna push putting points on the board and the quickest way to do that is in the passing game and I believe Kirk will benefit from it and put up good numbers this year.

TE- Hayden Hurst// Stymied in the Ravens TE corps Hurst will get plenty of targets to show why he was drafted by the Ravens high and he'll flourish & breakout in Atlanta with QB Ryan tossing the rock to him. Yes there's Jones and Ridley who'll command a lot of attention from Ryan but the coaching staff will find ways to get Hurst the ball and him having a very productive year.

• Like 1

If this is indeed the best rookie WR class in years then there are a number of rookie WRS to watch for. Jalen Reagor in Philly might be one in return leagues.

On 8/17/2020 at 9:50 PM, AxeElf said:

No.  In non-PPR, Ekeler was only the RB7.

As @jrokh has pointed out above, this is a fairly pedestrian feat.  Now, maybe if Ekeler can improve to top 3, he will break out THIS year.

I don’t agree with that. Already a top 7 player, if he improves to top 3 it doesn’t change that 2019 was his breakout season. 

1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I don’t agree with that. Already a top 7 player, if he improves to top 3 it doesn’t change that 2019 was his breakout season. 

I tried to tell @jrokh that about Kyler Murray, but he was having none of it.

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I tried to tell @jrokh that about Kyler Murray, but he was having none of it.

From Ben Gretch of CBS Sportsline: His QB Breakouts List 1) Kyler Murray

Murray threw zero touchdowns in five of his first eight career games, which were also the first eight career games for head coach Kliff Kingsbury. They got things squared away in the second half of 2019, and Murray's touchdown rate more than doubled, suggesting his 20 passing touchdowns are something of a floor for 2020. DeAndre Hopkins helps, and Murray's passing numbers should improve in Year 2, but his big rushing value already made him a top-10 quarterback in most formats last year.

Heath Cummings of CBS also considers Murray a Breakout candidate, calling him " one of the few QB's with league-winning upside". There are other fantasy analysts who also consider Murray a breakout candidate. That doesn't mean they are right, but it does mean that Murray as a breakout candidate is seen as legitimate by many who write about Fantasy Football for a living. You can jibe me for being unoriginal, and that's fair, but I also stipulated it was a chalky pick. Your attempt to paint my Murray breakout as unusual, or misguided is disingenuous. But what else can one expect from Axe Elf?

• Thanks 1

Maybe Bryce Love....if his repaired knee is good.

Can still get him for nothing right now.

9 hours ago, DocNiner said:

QB- Gardner Minshew// Chark best of Jags WRs and they could find themselves behind alot so Gardner will be slinging it. Hope he can keep turnovers & INT's down (i.e..Winston). He'll definitely outproduce his fantasy ADP.

RB- Ronald Jones II// A lot of focus will be on WRs Evans, Godwin and on TE Gronkowski. Think he'll improve his pass catching and the Bucs could be ahead in a lot of games thus I see more opportunities for Jones to produce. He's got incentive to with Vaughn lurking in the shadows.

WR- Christian Kirk// A lot of coverage gonna go to Hopkins and Fitzgerald will still be on the field so I see Kirk getting a fair amount of targets. You know Kingsbury will wanna push putting points on the board and the quickest way to do that is in the passing game and I believe Kirk will benefit from it and put up good numbers this year.

TE- Hayden Hurst// Stymied in the Ravens TE corps Hurst will get plenty of targets to show why he was drafted by the Ravens high and he'll flourish & breakout in Atlanta with QB Ryan tossing the rock to him. Yes there's Jones and Ridley who'll command a lot of attention from Ryan but the coaching staff will find ways to get Hurst the ball and him having a very productive year.

Kirk and Hurst our both fantastic picks.  

4 hours ago, DrG said:

If this is indeed the best rookie WR class in years then there are a number of rookie WRS to watch for. Jalen Reagor in Philly might be one in return leagues.

Would agree, he should be their top wr. 

54 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Maybe Bryce Love....if his repaired knee is good.

Can still get him for nothing right now.

Ask you a question about your pick? 

I haven’t seen much about how he’s doing , have you seen any updates about him? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Ask you a question about your pick? 

I haven’t seen much about how he’s doing , have you seen any updates about him? 

Thank you. 

Wed, Aug 19 at 4:24pm

Love took first-team snaps during practice Wednesday, JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reports.

Analysis: Adrian Peterson got a veteran's day off from practice, leaving Love, J.D. McKissic, Peyton Barber and Antonio Gibson on hand for backfield reps. Love appeared worse than 50/50 to make the regular-season roster as recently as a few weeks ago, but with Derrius Guice no longer on the team, a strong start to training camp has the 2019 fourth-round pick right in the mix for a Week 1 role. Love spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve, after suffering a torn ACL toward the end of his senior year at Stanford.

by Rotowire.com

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/look-all-these-really-complimentary-things-ron-rivera-had-say-about-bryce-love

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/20/bryce-love-getting-healthy-showing-promise-in-washington/

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

Your attempt to paint my Murray breakout as unusual, or misguided is disingenuous.

That's what I tried to tell @Phil Simms 11 about Austin Ekeler, but he was having none of it.

38 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Wed, Aug 19 at 4:24pm

Love took first-team snaps during practice Wednesday, JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reports.

Analysis: Adrian Peterson got a veteran's day off from practice, leaving Love, J.D. McKissic, Peyton Barber and Antonio Gibson on hand for backfield reps. Love appeared worse than 50/50 to make the regular-season roster as recently as a few weeks ago, but with Derrius Guice no longer on the team, a strong start to training camp has the 2019 fourth-round pick right in the mix for a Week 1 role. Love spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve, after suffering a torn ACL toward the end of his senior year at Stanford.

by Rotowire.com

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/look-all-these-really-complimentary-things-ron-rivera-had-say-about-bryce-love

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/20/bryce-love-getting-healthy-showing-promise-in-washington/

Thank you. 

47 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

Hollywood Brown

Where do you see him ending up, a wr2 or wr1? 

36 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

David Johnson

What do you expect from him this season?