• Like 1

today's live event:

13 minutes ago, taco breath said:

How could anyone watch this and not believe in God?  :dunno:

Just now, Mookz said:

How could anyone watch this and not believe in God?  :dunno:

foolish hearts.

28 minutes ago, fandandy said:

They should change the name from frisbee golf to dorks in the woods.  

are you watching?

• 65 views. come on puzzies.
  • 😍

I’ve hit the basket and bounced out two or three times. A stoner friend of mine introduced us to the game when we were in college. I played a little after college as a way to get together but then got bored. Over covid my brother began playing so I dusted off the discs. Played maybe 5 times this year. 

it’s quick, fun, free aside from buying the discs but I don’t lose many so o still use most of my originals.  Ot one of those people with a bag and 30 discs. I also have found about a dozen while hunting for my own poor shots. If there’s a number written on it, I’ll shoot them a text. 

I've had one ace in my lifetime, on a "par 3", 2nd hole at Kilborne, if I recall. That was pre-cell phone days so no video but I can still visualize it like it was yesterday.

Recently played the front 9 and revenge 9 at a course in Ruidoso, one of the better courses in the SW. I only play a few times a year so I travel light, ~3 discs, and shanked my drive on #1 into the great unknown. You know its going to be a great day when you lose a disc on your first drive.

Still had fun, course was tough due to elevation, got a handful of birdies, although I played from the amateur tees. 

I'd like to start playing a few rounds a week when the weather cools. In my younger days it was just stoners on the course but now it seems about 20% stoners, 40% amateurs with bags (saw a dude with a focking UL chair in Ruidoso), and 40% families. Cool to see the sport growing at the pro level and rec level.

I was raised playing every hole as a par 3 regardless of what the sign said. Is that still tradition or do you play by the sign now?  Only reason I ask is because the pro tees are so damn long.

Also, any recs on throwing? I am a disfunctional sort of ambidextrous. I throw naturally with my right hand for backhand shots and left hand for forehand shots. Same with tennis, serve left-handed and volley right-handed.

On the disc golf course throwing this way cancels the advantage of getting a different spin/direction on the disc when throwing forehand vs backhand.

I thought about trying to practice left hand forehand shots but I don't think I get the same power. 

Any recs for a starter set?

Driver, midrange, putter.

Currently throwing a beat up Hawk as my all around disc but it means I'm basically laying up every drive.

16 hours ago, Goggins said:

I was raised playing every hole as a par 3 regardless of what the sign said. Is that still tradition or do you play by the sign now?  Only reason I ask is because the pro tees are so damn long.

Also, any recs on throwing? I am a disfunctional sort of ambidextrous. I throw naturally with my right hand for backhand shots and left hand for forehand shots. Same with tennis, serve left-handed and volley right-handed.

On the disc golf course throwing this way cancels the advantage of getting a different spin/direction on the disc when throwing forehand vs backhand.

I thought about trying to practice left hand forehand shots but I don't think I get the same power. 

Any recs for a starter set?

Driver, midrange, putter.

Currently throwing a beat up Hawk as my all around disc but it means I'm basically laying up every drive.

I am by no means an expert but as someone who has been playing for a while and has introduced a few people to the game I feel like I can give a few simple tips / answer questions.

1. My best friend and I always used to play what the sign said. Longer holes were labeled 4's and the rest were 3's. We had a usual course we would play most often and going by the signs I could shoot 5 under for 9 if i was throwing well. I think 8 under for 18 (same holes twice, different set of tee boxes) was my best. More recently when my brother started playing, he has an app with different local course and I guess courses all over the country really... and according to the app, that same course should be played as all par 3's from the first set of tee boxes and then the second set of tee boxes makes a few of them par 4's. 

2. I am also ambidextrous. I never throw a disc forehand. Depending on the hole shape I will left hand-backhand or right hand-backhand. I can get as much power with either. Neither my friend or brother mentioned above can do this. they are both right hand-backhand throwers and neither has mastered a right hand forearm throw so holes that dogleg right are difficult for them. Even with a nice, tight S curve, they dont get the low speed fade toward to basket on those dogleg right holes that I can achieve with my left hand-backhand. 

3. I know you acknowledged it but throwing backhand shots with your right hand and forehand (flick) shots with your left hand is not giving you any advantage on differently shaped holes. A high level player might tell you there is some advantage but you're giving yourself the same general shot shape with both of those throws. You really need to forehand with your right hand to take advantage even having a forehand shot in your arsenal. 

4. Starter set?  Get a Valkyrie for your driver. Get a lighter weight. Something in the 150's for grams. "fairway driver" disc, grab a Leopard. I found 2 and they fly straight and decently far. Really good for longer holes where you have longer second shots or shorter holes as a driver. If you play courses in the woods with a lot of trees and a lot of shots where you need to curve around trees, the Gator is a great approach disc. I have a heavy one and it curves like a motherfocker. I tend to only use it on wooded courses where I have trees blocking my path to the basket. I can bend it right around them. I love the Dart putter. Get it in something called "R Pro Plastic". Its noticeably more flexible and "grippy" and it definitely grabs onto the chains. My first putter was fine (aero or something) but I would get a lot of bounce outs. I was really shocked how much of a difference the softer plastic made with the putts. These are all innova discs. I've never really used any of the other brands. I own a dozen more discs but these are the 4 I normally carry. 

https://infinitediscs.com/category/Innova#none    - good site to get discs for good prices. you just have to hope they have the plastic type, weight and color you want. Most of mine are bright blue, yellow or pink. Just easier to find for me. My Valkyrie is champion plastic (more durable). The Leopard is DX plastic (cheaper, less durable) and I think my Gator is also champion for no reason. It was the first disc I ever got. 

I know that was log and makes it sound like im an avid player. I maybe played 7 times this year and that was mostly because of extra time from covid. I just enjoy the game and have researched it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look up Westside Discs. Freaking awesome. I was introduced to them when I found one on a wooded fall leafy course. 

I'm heading up an effort to organize a tournament for our rotary club next month.  Never done this, don't know how successful it will be but gonna try.

On 9/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, cmh6476 said:

I'm heading up an effort to organize a tournament for our rotary club next month.  Never done this, don't know how successful it will be but gonna try.

Update?

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

Update?

Went well, raised about $1k and the participants said we organized our tournament well.  I think we'll try and did one a couple times per year

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Went well, raised about $1k and the participants said we organized our tournament well.  I think we'll try and did one a couple times per year

I miss the Wyandotte disc park course from when I lived in KC. Used to drive out there almost every weekend.

Darn missed it.

How did it look?

:lol:  

I like how the women do the squat toss lol

51 minutes ago, nospk said:

I like how the women do the squat toss lol

would ?

For ed:

She doesn’t squat to putt and is not hot. And the music sucks

5 minutes ago, nospk said:

She doesn’t squat to putt and is not hot. And the music sucks

What would happen to me were I to call it "frisbee golf"?  :ninja:

On 9/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, Utilit99 said:

Look up Westside Discs. Freaking awesome. I was introduced to them when I found one on a wooded fall leafy course. 

I bought one for myself online this week, but today my wife decided on the second teebox that it was her favorite new disc.

I will need to buy another I guess.

My son is only 4( about to turn 5) and he loves it. He can throw the disc much farther than his sister who is 2 years older. 

My daughter was getting frustrated today, so we will probably take a week off again. She really struggled to throw today.

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

How is the term golf even remotely associated with this? 

Don't get me wrong I do not consider myself a golfer, I have only gone once since I met my wife. However, I have had a membership a handful of times when I was younger and during those few years I did golf a fair bit.

Disc golf is actually very good for teaching a 5 and 7 year old kid the most important rule of golf, pace of play. 

I have a good time playing disc golf because my kids and wife like it, there is some exercise to be had, and it is fun.

14 hours ago, Cruzer said:

How is the term golf even remotely associated with this? 

one of my best training partner in the late 90's just won over $2000 in a tourney last weekend

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/2022-pdga-champions-cup-scores-coverage 

scores:

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/55451

17 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Don't get me wrong I do not consider myself a golfer, I have only gone once since I met my wife. However, I have had a membership a handful of times when I was younger and during those few years I did golf a fair bit.

Disc golf is actually very good for teaching a 5 and 7 year old kid the most important rule of golf, pace of play. 

I have a good time playing disc golf because my kids and wife like it, there is some exercise to be had, and it is fun.

But again, how is the term golf associated with this activity? 

35 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I am not sure why you would troll on this, so I will take your post at face value.

We play 9 holes on a course where the lowest number wins, out of bounds, water hazards, and even using different discs depending on distance and fade pattern needed is similar to choosing a club for example.

The course we play at typically is even on an old 9 hole golf course that was converted after the club built a new 9. 

It makes sense to call it disc golf because that is what it is.

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am not sure why you would troll on this, so I will take your post at face value.

We play 9 holes on a course where the lowest number wins, out of bounds, water hazards, and even using different discs depending on distance and fade pattern needed is similar to choosing a club for example.

The course we play at typically is even on an old 9 hole golf course that was converted after the club built a new 9. 

It makes sense to call it disc golf because that is what it is.

This pretty much covers it. I’m a golfer not a disc golfer if we are getting technical but everything ski said is what I was going to say. 

feels like anything where the objective is to get a single item into a hole/hoop/basket etc in as few attempts as possible while advancing said item could be considered “xyz golf”.  That’s the simple explanation. 

id also add that the disc golf throw has a lot of body mechanics just like a golf swing to get the disc to do what you want.