jerryskids

I have Cancer :/ -- still doing well

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  It’s quite impressive, in an unimpressive way, how many phone calls I get directly on my phone from care providers for my at-home care (vs. my wife’s phone, which they all have and know is the primary contact).  I just let her answer them at this point.

i understand that the Mayo might have an automatic “please rate your discharge and how is it going at home?”  But i would expect better from the company which specializes in laryngectomy supplies.  :dunno: 

I could imagine that their communications are set up for 95% and they don't put enough into it to allow for an alternative method of communication. My thinking is that I just hope they get my medications correct and they don't cut off my arm. I have low expectations. :D

So, anyways, nobody has time for this boo-hoo nonsense.

I want to know if you ever punched a woman in the face in an elevator for looking at you weird. Because, that is a ritual of the passage of life.

It's cathartic. And it's fun. And it's legal, as far as I know.

6 minutes ago, phillybear said:

So, anyways, nobody has time for this boo-hoo nonsense.

I want to know if you ever punched a woman in the face in an elevator for looking at you weird. Because, that is a ritual of the passage of life.

It's cathartic. And it's fun. And it's legal, as far as I know.

Ray Rice ladies and gentlemen! 

Update:

Not a great week.  This past Monday I had my ~2 week swallow test, after which this $#@! Feeding tube was to be removed.  Unfortunately the test showed a leak in a reconstructed area, so not only do I get to keep the tube for another 2.5 weeks, I get to wear something called a “jaw bra”.  Something like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ghFZLSMQcc6CKxdA8

Wednesday we met with the radiation oncologist.  Earlier he had indicated that this “adjuvant” therapy wouldn’t be too debilitating, but this time it seemed like he was prepping me for a tough treatment.  5 days per week from mid-November through year end, lots of bad side effects looming which are hopefully mostly temporary.  

As a bonus, I still don’t have that prosthetic device to help me speak again (TEP).  Because of the healing delay and need to start radiation (already delayed), they seem to be slow-playing me into the likelihood that it won’t even be installed until after radiation.  So I’ve increased my practice of alternate communication using lip speaking and the electrolarynx (robot thing on your throat, or in my case through a tube in my mouth because my neck is still swollen).

It’s not all bad; I do feel better every day, and I remind myself that they got all of the cancer, so I just need to get through the next two months and come out of it as strong as possible. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Jerry.  Sorry to hear things aren't going as well as possible, but as noted it could be worse.  Hang in there!

13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

a “jaw bra”

Can size? :dunno:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Update:

Not a great week.  This past Monday I had my ~2 week swallow test, after which this $#@! Feeding tube was to be removed.  Unfortunately the test showed a leak in a reconstructed area, so not only do I get to keep the tube for another 2.5 weeks, I get to wear something called a “jaw bra”.  Something like this:

Wednesday we met with the radiation oncologist.  Earlier he had indicated that this “adjuvant” therapy wouldn’t be too debilitating, but this time it seemed like he was prepping me for a tough treatment.  5 days per week from mid-November through year end, lots of bad side effects looming which are hopefully mostly temporary.  

As a bonus, I still don’t have that prosthetic device to help me speak again (TEP).  Because of the healing delay and need to start radiation (already delayed), they seem to be slow-playing me into the likelihood that it won’t even be installed until after radiation.  So I’ve increased my practice of alternate communication using lip speaking and the electrolarynx (robot thing on your throat, or in my case through a tube in my mouth because my neck is still swollen).

It’s not all bad; I do feel better every day, and I remind myself that they got all of the cancer, so I just need to get through the next two months and come out of it as strong as possible. :thumbsup:

Luckily they didn't give you this model.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Cancer size? :dunno:

Fixed

Keep fighting JK :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Ok so if they got all of the cancer that’s great news. Being a weird robot freak for a few months is nothing as long as your own cells aren’t killing you from the inside out anymore. Just have to hang in there.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Update:

Thanks for the update and keep the positive attitude my man!

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Update:

jaw bra...ha.  sorry for the set back.  

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

Luckily they didn't give you this model.

golf clap

Kick ass Falco.

Great attitude. I bet the people around you are hugely proud of you.

Sure as hell should be.

• Like 1

I disappear for three years and you have to hit me with this.....damn it Jerry. 😭 I don't pray but I'm sure as hell hoping for the best.  What i remember you are a class act and you are showing it every day keep up the fight. 

Thanks for the update Jerry.

2020 is the suckiest year to ever suck.  2021 will be here soon and it's a brand new year!

Prayers brother!  Be strong.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:57 AM, sheadtoo said:

I disappear for three years and you have to hit me with this.....damn it Jerry. 😭 I don't pray but I'm sure as hell hoping for the best.  What i remember you are a class act and you are showing it every day keep up the fight. 

1 hour ago, BLS said:

Thanks for the update Jerry.

2020 is the suckiest year to ever suck.  2021 will be here soon and it's a brand new year!

Prayers brother!  Be strong.

Thanks guys.  My radiation should end around the end of the year so I’m certainly looking forward to a better 2021, where I continue to adapt to my “new normal.”  

I would write off 2020 as “one of those years,” but I can’t recall a year anything like this, so I’m not sure that phrase is appropriate.

Small update:  this is a bit of an off week.  I have my 98720348th Covid test later today in advance of a consultation with a surgeon Wednesday to discuss installing my TEP (the device that will enable me to talk.  Well, warble).  I’m emotionally preparing for him to say that he wants to wait until after radiation, but there is a chance that they’ll do it prior.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, jerryskids said:

Update:

Still hangin’ tough and keeping a positive attitude.  Happy to see it!

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks guys.  My radiation should end around the end of the year so I’m certainly looking forward to a better 2021, where I continue to adapt to my “new normal.”  

I would write off 2020 as “one of those years,” but I can’t recall a year anything like this, so I’m not sure that phrase is appropriate.

Small update:  this is a bit of an off week.  I have my 98720348th Covid test later today in advance of a consultation with a surgeon Wednesday to discuss installing my TEP (the device that will enable me to talk.  Well, warble).  I’m emotionally preparing for him to say that he wants to wait until after radiation, but there is a chance that they’ll do it prior.  Fingers crossed.

Your doctor really should focus on amplifying Black and brown voices, but I suppose an exception can be made for you.  <_<

Best of luck.  :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Your doctor really should focus on amplifying Black and brown voices, but I suppose an exception can be made for you.  <_<

Best of luck.  :thumbsup:

It's not a computer they can program so he can speak jive 😜

Have they fitted you for your radiation torture mask yet?  Curious if your treatment will work the same as mine did. 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

Have they fitted you for your radiation torture mask yet?  Curious if your treatment will work the same as mine did. 

Not yet.  I’ve got 5 appointments with radiation oncology on 11/5, one of which is called “simulation”, the others have variations of “consultation” in them.  Perhaps one of them is intended to create the mask?  Also I the treatments are tentatively scheduled to start the week of 11/16, so I suspect the mask will be scheduled for the week of the 9th.  Note that my neck is still fairly swollen from the operation, and this stupid compression jaw bra contraption is creating a noticeable dent in the swelling, so I suspect that needs to come close to healed before they can create a tight-fitting brace.

That reminds me, I had a question which I’ll PM you.  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Not yet.  I’ve got 5 appointments with radiation oncology on 11/5, one of which is called “simulation”, the others have variations of “consultation” in them.  Perhaps one of them is intended to create the mask?  Also I the treatments are tentatively scheduled to start the week of 11/16, so I suspect the mask will be scheduled for the week of the 9th.  Note that my neck is still fairly swollen from the operation, and this stupid compression jaw bra contraption is creating a noticeable dent in the swelling, so I suspect that needs to come close to healed before they can create a tight-fitting brace.

That reminds me, I had a question which I’ll PM you.  :cheers:

The "simulation" is probably when they'll make the mask.  They make the mask and then get you lined up in the machine and will mark it up to ensure proper placement each time.

Be sure and ask them if you can bring in your own music. I made a fock cancer playlist (heavy on the Iron Maiden) that they would crank during my treatments.  Every bit helps. 

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Update?

Worst news is that I correctly anticipated that they want to wait until after radiation (and a few bonus weeks for healing) before inserting the TEP.  Radiation ends around end of year, and I have a consult with the surgeon mid January, so I'd guess end of January.  Until then it is mouth breathing and the electrolarynx thing.  On the former I've actually started to do some "esophageal speech" which is fancy for "burp talking."  It's a slightly more audible mouth-speak.  I've also been trying to get that electrolarynx to work but my throat is still swollen and the mouth attachment doesn't work well.  I've got my first formal class on it next Tuesday, and I want to work on it some more before then, but not too much to get bad habits ingrained.

Radiation prep last week went as expected.  If I need a feeding tube it will be in my abdomen this time, which sounds better than that focking nose one.  Plus this should be supplemental, not 100% of food (only if my throat is sore enough to limit my caloric intake and I start to lose weight).  They made my mask to bolt me to the table, fun story I told @DonS on PM:  I was lying on the table completely immobilized while the mask was forming on my face.  I can't utter a sound because of no voice box. Hands gripping a ring to stay still. The radiation oncologist walked in and said to me "how are you doing?"  I was lying there like the wounded guy in Metallica One, my mind working but unable to communicate in any way.  "Hold my breath as I wish for death / Oh please God, wake me".  It was somewhere between funny and sad.

We finally fessed up to my situation on Facebook; the response has been great.  Friends have started emailing other groups of friends, so I'm getting a lot of emails from that second level communication.  

As I type this I have the hiccups, this is the second time.  Pre-surgery I would get rid of them by holding my breath.  But I can't do that now.  FML...

• Like 1

So your feeding tube is via your nose?  I had the one through the abdomen.

Hopefully they'll shove yours in when you're still feeling relatively healthy.  I got mine shoved in after ending up at the ER due to chemo.  Next few days it hurt like a muthafocka which made getting in and out of the hospital bed a great lesson in pain.

Good luck. 

Thanks for the update JK.

Sucks that they are running you through the wringer, but it'll get better soon.

Glad the FB thing went well.  One never knows anymore.

You got a great attitude I know you're impressing the hell out of your family and friends. Cuz you're damn sure doing here.

So when this is all done, will you ever be able to carry a baby to full term again?

Thanks for the update.  Sorry to hear things aren't going as quickly or smoothly as hoped, and that you have the hiccups ;).  Hang in there.  Just remember there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  Just need to get there.

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Thanks for the update.  Sorry to hear things aren't going as quickly or smoothly as hoped, and that you have the hiccups ;).  Hang in there.  Just remember there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  Just need to get there.

No!!!!  Jerry, stay away from the light!!!! 

Jeez when I read these updates and DonS stories I really really wonder if I’m strong enough to do that. You guys are rocks !!!

Good luck brothers

9 hours ago, wiffleball said:

You got a great attitude I know you're impressing the hell out of your family and friends. Cuz you're damn sure doing here.

So when this is all done, will you ever be able to carry a baby to full term again?

:thumbsup:

:lol:

9 hours ago, wiffleball said:

:lol: 

5 hours ago, DonS said:

No!!!!  Jerry, stay away from the light!!!! 

I thought the same when I read it.  :o  :lol:  

you really stink.  your politcal positions are stupid.  thats it.  but yeah, hope dumb comments help.  honestly, get well soon, thanks for sharing. 

Update... not great.  Had my PET scan this past Monday, 3 months after end of radiation.  It showed a small "nodule" in my left lung, 0.8 cm.  In a "normal" situation they would just watch it and see what happens, as it is too small and too buried to do a reliable biopsy.  But my situation is not normal, and Occam's Razor says that this metastasized through my lymph glands before they took them out.

When I met the radiation oncologist, he said they would discuss at the tumor board on Tuesday and likely want to watch it, then eventually he could get it with radiation only.  I explained to him that that wasn't going to fly; I tried to talk to the oncologist last time about my fear/suspicion that my lymph nodes had grown so fast I thought there was a good chance of metastasis.  He ignored me and wouldn't even discuss it.  Well doc, it looks like unfortunately I was correct.  So don't come to me with a near-term solution which does not acknowledge that this shiot is now in the rest of my body and we need to discuss chemo, immuno, and targeted protein treatments.  I'm not going to wait 6 or 12 months for a scan that says "oops sorry, you have tumors all over your body, hope your affairs are in order."  I want to err on the aggressive side and the time to start is now.

While I was at it, I did tell him about the general oncologist and respectfully requested another.  He said that I am not the first person to complain about his communication skills but that he really is a top guy for throat cancers (which this would technically still be considered).  I told him that if the onc changed his tune and was open to discussing such treatments, pursuing trials, etc. then I'll give him another chance.  If not then let's move on to someone who will.

I think he got the memo.  He said he was ordering a CT scan which I'm waiting on; while not as good as a biopsy, it will tell them more.  

So, while all of that is not good, I (and my wife) feel oddly at peace that we are moving forward on this.  I read the PET report Wednesday and have been a wreck since.  Like I said I suspected that I wasn't done with this, so in a way I feel good that we caught it while it is a single very small tumor (in fact a millimeter or two smaller they wouldn't have seen it).  :dunno: 

• Sad 4