jerryskids

I have Cancer :/ -- still doing well

Treatment #4 is Thursday, but tomorrow is the scan to show how things are going.  Hoping to sleep OK tonight.  :mellow:

Been hella busy with the house stuff.  I’m sure I mentioned we sold ours, busy packing and purging for movers next Monday.  We do have another week before closing and a decent size storage space, so as long as they get the furniture we can get any remaining boxes.  The newer info is we bought a house this past Monday.  It is in exactly the perfect location, in fact so perfect we never thought we’d get something there.  We love to hike the mountain by us and it is literally two houses down from an entrance to that same preserve, and close to a bunch of trails we like (today we are basically by one trail and drive to others).  It doesn’t sound like it; it is a downsize, about 60% of our current size (and price).  Close is 8/19.

Anyway, that’s just stuff.  Wish me luck with the scan.  :cheers: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Good Luck Jerry.

I'm glad that your health is such that even with the cancer treatment, hiking trails is still an active part of your life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Treatment #4 is Thursday, but tomorrow is the scan to show how things are going.  Hoping to sleep OK tonight.  :mellow:

Been hella busy with the house stuff.  I’m sure I mentioned we sold ours, busy packing and purging for movers next Monday.  We do have another week before closing and a decent size storage space, so as long as they get the furniture we can get any remaining boxes.  The newer info is we bought a house this past Monday.  It is in exactly the perfect location, in fact so perfect we never thought we’d get something there.  We love to hike the mountain by us and it is literally two houses down from an entrance to that same preserve, and close to a bunch of trails we like (today we are basically by one trail and drive to others).  It doesn’t sound like it; it is a downsize, about 60% of our current size (and price).  Close is 8/19.

Anyway, that’s just stuff.  Wish me luck with the scan.  :cheers: 

Good luck, and terrific news about the new house!

I used to hike the Phoenix Mountain Preserve and South Mountain quite a bit when I lived in the valley (basin). Both of those spots are amazing, if you're close to any of the trails it's really a great lifestyle. 

Thanks all. The scan results are… good!  There were 3 nodules back in early April:  11, 4, and 6mm.  The 4 and 6mm are now gone, at least to the extent a CT can see it.  The 11mm was classified as “stable.”  Since the treatments started 6+ weeks after the previous scan, I’m thinking it had gotten larger in that time, so the current “stable” is actually a reduction in size.  Regardless, the doctor was quite happy with the results, which indicate that the treatments are working.

I need to keep in mind that “working” means somewhere between “managing” and “reducing” but most likely not “completely eliminating.”  I’m not sure they’ll ever give me that status.  And I’ll have fear every time I get a scan.  But for now, I am not on the “6 months to live” list.

I did have a very low white blood cell count, so they are skipping chemo this round (tomorrow) and just doing the immunotherapy.  In three weeks we’ll go back to both, as it appears to be working.

It’s typical to remember the bad news and forget the good, and I’ve certainly had small victories in this journey, but I think this is the first major good news I’ve gotten. :cheers: 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks all. The scan results are… good!  There were 3 nodules back in early April:  11, 4, and 6mm.  The 4 and 6mm are now gone, at least to the extent a CT can see it.  The 11mm was classified as “stable.”  Since the treatments started 6+ weeks after the previous scan, I’m thinking it had gotten larger in that time, so the current “stable” is actually a reduction in size.  Regardless, the doctor was quite happy with the results, which indicate that the treatments are working.

I need to keep in mind that “working” means somewhere between “managing” and “reducing” but most likely not “completely eliminating.”  I’m not sure they’ll ever give me that status.  And I’ll have fear every time I get a scan.  But for now, I am not on the “6 months to live” list.

I did have a very low white blood cell count, so they are skipping chemo this round (tomorrow) and just doing the immunotherapy.  In three weeks we’ll go back to both, as it appears to be working.

It’s typical to remember the bad news and forget the good, and I’ve certainly had small victories in this journey, but I think this is the first major good news I’ve gotten. :cheers: 

Good news!

4 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Good news!

That is great news! Just curious. They don't give you the neulasta injection to help produce more wbc the next day? The se for me was bone pain, but popping a regular claritin took care of it.

Try not to worry about status. No one ever knows for 100% that there isn't one rogue cell that dodged treatments. Treatment is working.

I call waiting on scans scanxiety. Now that I'm 6 years out, the scanxiety has lessened. I hope the same happens for you.

Continued best wishes. 🙏🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Awesome news.

1 hour ago, Artista said:

That is great news! Just curious. They don't give you the neulasta injection to help produce more wbc the next day? The se for me was bone pain, but popping a regular claritin took care of it.

Try not to worry about status. No one ever knows for 100% that there isn't one rogue cell that dodged treatments. Treatment is working.

I call waiting on scans scanxiety. Now that I'm 6 years out, the scanxiety has lessened. I hope the same happens for you.

Hope all is well with you too.

• Like 1

:cheers:

9 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Good to see a Skids post with no sad face emoji- I probably jinxed but ha. Good news Jerry. 

9 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Glad to hear this.  

6 hours ago, Artista said:

Interesting, thanks and I appreciate the inside info.  I’ve been using your freezy hands/feet and knock on wood haven’t had any numbness from the chemo, yet anyway.  I’ll ask the nurses about neulasta during my infusion today.  :thumbsup:  

Six years is phenomenal!  I don’t know the details about your specific cancer/prognosis but since mine had metastasized, barring a miracle or some new treatment (mRNA?) it will likely always be floating around inside me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, jerryskids said:

:pointstosky:

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

:pointstosky:

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

HELL YA!!!  Damn good to hear brother.

When this is all said and done you should host a geek meat hiking/camping trip.  Imagine us all in the woods together for a weekend.  

Any more room in that tent. Skids?  :)

30 minutes ago, fandandy said:

When this is all said and done you should host a geek meat hiking/camping trip.  Imagine us all in the woods together for a weekend.  

Any more room in that tent. Skids?  :)

I was going to link the Canteen Boy skit with Alec Baldwin as pedo boy scout leader, but it seems that NBC took it down?  The page shows "Canteen Boy" but video appears to be gone. :lol:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/canteen-boy/n10539