vuduchile

Have you been paying attention to the sports card market?

31 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

This is what I have held in my personal collection. I have another mantle griffey,mantle solo auto coming in the mail today

https://ibb.co/g422xWB

https://ibb.co/qFXxQkf

Nice!  I didn't even know there was a just Mantle Auto and a just Griffey Auto versions of that card.

22 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Nice!  I didn't even know there was a just Mantle Auto and a just Griffey Auto versions of that card.

1000 of each the mantle solo is getting hard to find. People are buying them up and mailing into private griffey signings .

Griffey's signature has changed and he uses a think pen so you can tell they are not original but they still command $4000 and up

23 hours ago, vuduchile said:

So, if Heritage gets $60K, what's your end?

They gave me -5 commission so if it sells for 60k I would get 60k plus 3k.  The buyer would pay 20% on top of the 60k so 72k total.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

They gave me -5 commission so if it sells for 60k I would get 60k plus 3k.  The buyer would pay 20% on top of the 60k so 72k total.

This is the base not the refractor right

9 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

This is the base not the refractor right

I don’t think there are base and refractor versions. I looked at one that PSA labels “refractor” but it doesn’t say refractor anywhere on the card. https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/2001-bowman-chrome-refractor-autograph-albert-pujols-340-psa-gem-mint-10/a/50031-58545.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

25 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I don’t think there are base and refractor versions. I looked at one that PSA labels “refractor” but it doesn’t say refractor anywhere on the card. https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/2001-bowman-chrome-refractor-autograph-albert-pujols-340-psa-gem-mint-10/a/50031-58545.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Today’s Topps Cards actually say refractor on the back, but they didn’t label them that way back then.    

I’m not an expert on this set, but there is a Topps Finest basketball set from the 90’s that has both base versions and refractors that are similar.   A refractor will give off a rainbow of colors when held under a light.

Here’s the checklist for the Bowman  set:  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cardboardconnection.com/2001-bowman-chrome-baseball/amp

2001 Bowman Chrome Autograph Albert Pujols only came in a refractor version as the base and #d/500.  There is no non-refractor or any parallels for it.  Sometimes the grading companies, especially Beckett (BGS) label these kind of cards without the word Refractor on the label.  The cards all refract though and are refractors. 

The 2001 Bowman Chrome Ichiro RC only came as a Refractor version, either English or Japanese text.  Not autographed though.  BGS labels these without the word refractor.  There are X-fractors and Gold Refractors of the Ichiro.  No non-refractor version exists for the Bowman Chrome for Ichiro or for any other card probably, but I can't say that for sure.  2001 Topps Chrome Ichiro did have both a non-refractor and a refractor version.

Another example is the 2001 Topps Chrome football RCs, although slightly different because there is a black refractor parallel.  No non-refractor version though.  The main RC is a refractor #d/999 and there is a Refractor that is Black in color #d/100.  BGS labels the /999 version without the word refractor and labels the /100 version with the word Refractor but not the word Black.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Are Ichiro RC's worth much?  I feel like I probably have one of those

Yes, go to https://130point.com/sales/ and type in 2001 chrome ichiro

2001 Bowman Chrome Ichiro RC in Mint condition has been selling for $700 - $900.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

Huh i did not know that

I decided to list 64 of my heigh-end cards with Goldin for their January auction, including the Pujols 9.5.  I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.  When I collected these cards in 2006-2008 I envisioned selling them when my son was in college, and that's exactly what I'm doing.  People thought I was nuts back then for investing so much in cards but with the recent spike in prices I may end up looking ok on the investment.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

you will be coming out FAR ahead on most things you purchased at that time as long as its not stuff like Josh Hamilton hahaha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

you will be coming out FAR ahead on most things you purchased at that time as long as its not stuff like Josh Hamilton hahaha

I'm still hoping my Todd Van Popple RC pans out.

Next big thing my @$$

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I didn’t invest in Josh Hamilton but he’s one of my alltime favorite players.  That homerun derby in Yankee Stadium ranks as one of the coolest sports moments ever IMO. Fortunately I went pretty hard after Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander and they panned out nicely.  I had a lot of misses but that’s to be expected. Too bad Kendry Morales injured himself celebrating that walk-off grand slam. He was on track to be a superstar and I had some great cards of him, including his Bowman Chrome rookie card Superfractor.

2 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

I decided to list 64 of my heigh-end cards with Goldin for their January auction, including the Pujols 9.5.  I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.  When I collected these cards in 2006-2008 I envisioned selling them when my son was in college, and that's exactly what I'm doing.  People thought I was nuts back then for investing so much in cards but with the recent spike in prices I may end up looking ok on the investment.  Fingers crossed.

If Goldin accepted them, rest assured you’ll get a nice return.   Congrats and please do keep us updated.  

Big news for the shop today.  We received our official acceptance letter to become a direct account with Panini.   That means we won’t have to navigate 3rd party distributor bribes and back alley deals for basketball, football and soccer cards.  

We’ll still have to deal with them for baseball cards for now, but we’ll work on that.    

Our allocations will be small in the beginning, but we’ll now be able to get full cases of hobby shop exclusives instead of 2-3 measley boxes or none at all.   

2021 is looking rosy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

Big news for the shop today.  We received our official acceptance letter to become a direct account with Panini.   That means we won’t have to navigate 3rd party distributor bribes and back alley deals for basketball, football and soccer cards.  

We’ll still have to deal with them for baseball cards for now, but we’ll work on that.    

Our allocations will be small in the beginning, but we’ll now be able to get full cases of hobby shop exclusives instead of 2-3 measley boxes or none at all.   

2021 is looking rosy.  

Where is your shop?

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

2021 is looking rosy.  

people in America actually buy soccer cards?

11 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

people in America actually buy soccer cards?

There is a $20,000 bounty for a garbage pal kid card ... They will buy anything right now

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

There is a $20,000 bounty for a garbage pal kid card ... They will buy anything right now

Is that the 1/1 Adam Bomb?  

I sold my single allotted box of GPK Chrome sapphire for $250 yesterday.  My cost through Topps Montgomery Club was $50.   

The traditional sports card market peaked in the late 80s/early 90s.The sheer numbers of cards printed during that era made it so the cards of that time are worth less in 2020 than you paid for them in the 80s. Then the market changed drastically. It became a lottery. Buy 100 packs and hope you get that 1 in a million signed card with foil on it or something. This artificial rarity is still the basis for the market. The only way to really make any money at it is to get the lucky card and sell it right away...  Because in 10 years, nobody will remember that supposedly “special” card you got since it’s not the hot ticket anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dogcows said:

The traditional sports card market peaked in the late 80s/early 90s.The sheer numbers of cards printed during that era made it so the cards of that time are worth less in 2020 than you paid for them in the 80s. Then the market changed drastically. It became a lottery. Buy 100 packs and hope you get that 1 in a million signed card with foil on it or something. This artificial rarity is still the basis for the market. The only way to really make any money at it is to get the lucky card and sell it right away...  Because in 10 years, nobody will remember that supposedly “special” card you got since it’s not the hot ticket anymore.

That's not the only way to make money in the card biz.  That's actually one of the hardest ways to make money because there's so much luck involved. 

As I mentioned, the smart money is in the hall of famers and future locks for the HOF.

But there are dozens of other ways to make money in the card biz right now.  

Buy and hold sealed wax 1-2 years. 

Buy raw cards, grade them, then sell

Buy rookies in the off season.  Sell on the hype.

Buy collections, sort them, sell premium cards, sell commons on sportlots or in bulk.  

Buy retail boxes and flip them instantly for double your money.

Start a PSA/SGC/BGS submission group and submit cards in bulk at discount rates.  Charge your customers for the service.

Open a shop and do all of the above. 

Are the old cards worth anything or is this just the new fangled stuff?

80's / 90's Topps - Fleer - Donruss etc.

14 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

EXTREMELY unlikely

44 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Only a handful of cards from that era hold value, and only if they're in excellent condition. They were all massively over-produced.  86-90  Fleer Michael Jordans are on the rise, with the 86-87 being the most valuable by far.  The 86-87 Fleer Barkley and Hakeem cards are also on the move.   The Bird, Dr. J, Magic card mentioned above is a good one as is the '89 Upper Deck Griffey if it's a 10.  There are also some Jordan inserts/specials that hold good value. Beam Team, USA Barcelona, etc.  Kobe Bryant's Topps and Topps Chrome rookie cards have been surging too. I believe they'll continue to rise until the HOF ceremony.  

Bowman's best baseball hobby boxes are available on the Topps site for $200/box.  Decent price.  4 Autos per box

KD rookie cards will be flying now.  Our friend Gary Vee was pumping them big again last night. 

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

KD rookie cards will be flying now.  Our friend Gary Vee was pumping them big again last night. 

Tell him to pump Mariano Rivera’s Bowman rookie card.

TIA

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Another record set and more frenzy over '86 Fleer.   I'm not a fan of this fractional ownership crap.  I think it's a bad idea for several reasons.  Anyway, onward and upward.  

https://twitter.com/KenGoldin/status/1344006664534585350?s=20

https://twitter.com/CardTalkPod/status/1343995114981625857?s=20

I still remember when I was a kid going into Walgreens with my Mom and Aunt and seeing like 10 - 20 boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball.  Didn't get any.  :(    At least a friend gave me 2 MJ RCs, a Ewing and an Isiah Thomas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I still remember when I was a kid going into Walgreens with my Mom and Aunt and seeing like 10 - 20 boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball.  Didn't get any.  :(    At least a friend gave me 2 MJ RCs, a Ewing and an Isiah Thomas.

Isn’t it crazy how many things you can look back on and say “if I only knew then, what I know now.”  

Last year at this time, you could get Prizm basketball blaster boxes for $20 at Wal Mart.  I sold 3 of them today for $390.00 each.   

Please tell me you kept the 2 MJ’s.