vuduchile

Have you been paying attention to the sports card market?

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Isn’t it crazy how many things you can look back on and say “if I only knew then, what I know now.”  

Last year at this time, you could get Prizm basketball blaster boxes for $20 at Wal Mart.  I sold 3 of them today for $390.00 each.   

Please tell me you kept the 2 MJ’s.  

Gave one to a friend, it had a very faint crease in it, he sold it immediately for like $100 - $150 (this was back when we were in junior high, like 1990.  The other one I graded years ago and it got BGS 8 and I upgraded it long ago to a BGS 8.5 (old label).  Keeping that one forever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Isn’t it crazy how many things you can look back on and say “if I only knew then, what I know now.”  

Last year at this time, you could get Prizm basketball blaster boxes for $20 at Wal Mart.  I sold 3 of them today for $390.00 each.   

Please tell me you kept the 2 MJ’s.  

I spent a lunch break driving to every Walmart in the city (when they first released) and wasn't able to get any of those 2019 Prizm basketball blaster boxes.  I bought off ebay a Prizm Red White Blue Zion, graded it, a BGS 9.5 and sold it for profit, then I bought another one and a Prizm Green Ja Morant and still have those.  I went through maybe 50 or more listings when those were plentiful on ebay to find the best centered and no flaw cards possible.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Gave one to a friend, it had a very faint crease in it, he sold it immediately for like $100 - $150 (this was back when we were in junior high, like 1990.  The other one I graded years ago and it got BGS 8 and I upgraded it long ago to a BGS 8.5 (old label).  Keeping that one forever.

I would guess an 8 or up is like gold. That set was so hard to find as a kid in good shape. Even if the card itself was perfect. You'd find that it was off centered a bit. 

Add to that. I believe it's one of the most counterfeited set's ever if you bought out of pack.

• Like 1

Hey Vud. Had a couple beers with a buddy of mine this past weekend. Started shootin the sh1t about card collecting as a kid, and I brought up this thread. The Magic/Bird rookie is what brought it up. So I told him I'd ask someone in the know about it. (You)

He has that card. (I did look at it). He wanted to know what it might be worth. BIG PROBLEM.

It's seperated. The card's are in beautiful condition. And I put them together. They are a match. But I told him, I think he really f'ed himself, and don't think they're worth anything. Could it still be valuable? Is that a common thing that happened to those card's back then? 

15 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Hey Vud. Had a couple beers with a buddy of mine this past weekend. Started shootin the sh1t about card collecting as a kid, and I brought up this thread. The Magic/Bird rookie is what brought it up. So I told him I'd ask someone in the know about it. (You)

He has that card. (I did look at it). He wanted to know what it might be worth. BIG PROBLEM.

It's seperated. The card's are in beautiful condition. And I put them together. They are a match. But I told him, I think he really f'ed himself, and don't think they're worth anything. Could it still be valuable? Is that a common thing that happened to those card's back then? 

Many have been separated over the years.  An intact version is much more valuable. 

A separated card goes for around $175 raw.  I'm not sure PSA would actually grade one that's been separated.  If so, I'm guessing it would come back as an A for Authentic. 

Conversely, an intact PSA 8-9 card goes for goes for thousands.  

Good vudu, are these anything? 

https://prnt.sc/wjew5a

I was surprised to find any sports cards whatsoever, but these are the only ones that weren't sold out.

6 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

Hi everyone. The January Goldin Auction preview is up.  Should be a blockbuster.  For those interested my Pujols card will be featured in the Elite portion of the auction. All told I’ve got 64 cards in the auction. All proceeds go to my son so wish me luck. https://goldinauctions.com/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=73164

Nice!   You’ll do well.  

1 hour ago, Mookz said:

Good vudu, are these anything? 

https://prnt.sc/wjew5a

I was surprised to find any sports cards whatsoever, but these are the only ones that weren't sold out.

Not many are chasing those right now, but you never know which rookies from that set will get hot.  This was a weird year for update series since it was so short.  Usually, update is filled with the later season call ups and/or traded players. 

1952 Mickey Mantle just went for 5.2 million. New record. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

1952 Mickey Mantle just went for 5.2 million. New record. 

Yep.  It seems like new single card records have been set every month for the last 6 with no sign of slowing down.  I was sorta kidding several months ago when I said I would give up the flooring biz if I could get my hands on enough card inventory. As of today, I'm no longer kidding.  

Since we opened Oct. 3 , sales from the card shop have outpaced the flooring sales.  In December, gross sales at the card shop were 9X flooring sales.  Halfway thru January and card sales are 14X the flooring sales.  Flooring sales are bigger ticket, so that could change when a big sale closes.  But for perspective, flooring sales have been steady and basically flat to last year. 

9 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Yep.  It seems like new single card records have been set every month for the last 6 with no sign of slowing down.  I was sorta kidding several months ago when I said I would give up the flooring biz if I could get my hands on enough card inventory. As of today, I'm no longer kidding.  

Since we opened Oct. 3 , sales from the card shop have outpaced the flooring sales.  In December, gross sales at the card shop were 9X flooring sales.  Halfway thru January and card sales are 14X the flooring sales.  Flooring sales are bigger ticket, so that could change when a big sale closes.  But for perspective, flooring sales have been steady and basically flat to last year. 

People always need floors.  They don't always need baseball cards

I am amazed at the market for collectibles.  I know it is not the same thing but I started my fossil business in 2001 and 2019 had been my best year ever.  I just downloaded my sales numbers for 2020 and it was up 44% over '19 and expenses were down.  A friend that deals in old comic books said the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

No.

You seem more the Garbage Pail Kids type.

10 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I have a Mantle auto 8x10 pic. Was my dads before he left this sh!tty world.

• Like 1

I do have 3  Lebron James rookie high school Upper Deck PSA gem mints. Are they worth anything now ? Again also was my dads before he left this sh!tty world. Two are different poses with him alone and the other was a 4 player card with him and Carson Palmer ?

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Lionel Richie doesn't.  :dunno:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I do have 3  Lebron James rookie high school Upper Deck PSA gem mints. Are they worth anything now ? Again also was my dads before he left this sh!tty world.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taco breath said:

Did take pics but years back when nobody wanted to give much and why I kept them. They are the Top Prospects ones from Upper Deck.

8 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I am amazed at the market for collectibles.  I know it is not the same thing but I started my fossil business in 2001 and 2019 had been my best year ever.  I just downloaded my sales numbers for 2020 and it was up 44% over '19 and expenses were down.  A friend that deals in old comic books said the same thing. 

That’s awesome man. Congrats!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TimHauck said:

That’s true but I’ve reached the point where I don’t care about that.  I’m 57 and would love to sell the flooring biz when things return to normal.  

7 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I do have 3  Lebron James rookie high school Upper Deck PSA gem mints. Are they worth anything now ? Again also was my dads before he left this sh!tty world. Two are different poses with him alone and the other was a 4 player card with him and Carson Palmer ?

Got to eBay sold listings and type the info there.  That will tell you what they’re worth.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Fingers crossed picking up a 49 bowman jackie robinson tonight

Raw or graded?

On 1/15/2021 at 7:22 AM, vuduchile said:

Got to eBay sold listings and type the info there.  That will tell you what they’re worth.  

Thanks it looks like two of them sold for around $200 and even more this month. Can't find anything on the one with him and Carson Palmer. Even when I looked it up before nobody was selling it. Maybe it is more rare and don't know. Thanks again though.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:34 AM, taco breath said:

Ask the former Mets GM how that works out :lol:

5 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

1949 bowman jackie robinson aquired today

https://ibb.co/SJpQtZw

https://ibb.co/3mXfFwP

Nice card!.  Jackie's have really taken off this year.  Unfortunately , we have none.   

We do have this  vintage submission at SGC now.   Except for the Kobe rookies, and the Wilt, which have a legit shot at 10, these will all grade 6 or under.  They were part of a lot we bought in October.  

1954 Topps #94 Ernie Banks--1956 Topps #101 Roy Campanella Gray Back 1956 Topps #150 "Duke" Snider Gray Back1958 Topps #487 Mickey MantleAll-Star51958 Topps #187 Sandy Koufax-1959 Topps #380 Hank Aaron-1959 Topps #350 Ernie Banks--1959 Topps #205 Don Larsen--91960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski--1960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski--1960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski--1960 Topps #200 Willie Mays-1960 Topps #200 Willie Mays--1960 Topps #326 Bob Clemente--$1960 Topps #343 Sandy Koufax--1960 Topps #343 Sandy Koufax-1960 Topps #300 Hank Aaron--81960 Topps #300 Hank Aaron--1961 Topps #360 Frank Robinson--1961 Topps #581 Frank RobinsonAll-Star1961 Topps #475 Mickey MantleMVP21961 Topps #475 Mickey Mantle MVP 1970-71 Topps #75 Lew Alcindor--$1969-70 Topps #1 Wilt Chamberlain-251969-70 Topps #50 Oscar Robertson--1972-73 Topps #5 Pete Maravich--1971-72 Topps #55 Pete Maravich-69-70 Topps #50 Oscar Robertson--1974-75 Topps #196 George Gervin--1973-74 Topps #240 Julius Erving11973-74 Topps #240 Julius Erving--1958 Topps #476 Stan MusialAll-Star1996-97 Topps #138 Kobe Bryant-1996-97 Topps #138 KOBE BRYANTNBA At 50

From the same lot, we also sent these 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats cards to PSA.  5 Ted Williams, 4 Walter Johnsons, 4 Cy Youngs, 1 Ty Cobb, 2 Honus Wagner and 1 Christy Matthewson.  I was surprised at how much some of these go for. 

I paid for the 1-2 day service, do you know what the actual wait is now

with shipping I'm in $150 for grading

Just now, bandrus1 said:

I paid for the 1-2 day service, do you know what the actual wait is now

I don't know for sure.  I think that's their $100 service?  If so, I can only guess you'll be around 2 weeks.  

We've only ever done the $10 (now $15) service with SGC.  Those are taking 4-6 months.  

With PSA, we've been getting our $75 express subs back in just under a month, and $50 regular subs back in about 7-8 weeks.  

More records broken.  

The Mantle card is extremely rare in any condition, so this doesn't surprise me.  The MJ rookie isn't rare by many standards, but there are only about 300 PSA 10's.  The good news for us non-millionaires is that these big sales tend to pull prices of similar cards upward.  Every card in the 86 Fleer basketball set has been moving.  Most notably are the Akeem and Barkley cards. We have several along with some 87 and 88 Fleer MJ's and other HOFers.  Those are also on the move.

If you have any of this stuff laying around, now would be a good time to pull them out. 

Side note: Last year at this time, the 86 Fleer MJ PSA 10 was going for $150-$200K.  That's a 5X ROI in 12 months.  That ROI is roughly the same for the lower graded and similar cards I mentioned here.  

On 1/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Patented Phil said:

Hi everyone. The January Goldin Auction preview is up.  Should be a blockbuster.  For those interested my Pujols card will be featured in the Elite portion of the auction. All told I’ve got 64 cards in the auction. All proceeds go to my son so wish me luck. https://goldinauctions.com/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=73164

How'd you do man? Is your Pujols the one that went for $59K?

Parents are fixing up dads man cave. Redid the walls and installed a shower so I’m helping them move stuff back from one room into the other. Found a BUNCH of sports memorabilia while moving the stuff. One of which was a Jeff Gordon autographed rookie card. Also found a picture of me and Jeff Gordon together when my parents had him visit our card shop and sign autographs. Man I miss when they were running their card shop 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

How'd you do man? Is your Pujols the one that went for $59K?

I think that is his

• Like 1

I get emails from Goldin advertising their auctions and I got one for baseball cards on Jan 27th and his Pujols was pictured with a link to the auction at the very top of the email.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I think that is his

11 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I get emails from Goldin advertising their auctions and I got one for baseball cards on Jan 27th and his Pujols was pictured with a link to the auction at the very top of the email.

What was he expecting to get for it?  Any idea?

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

What was he expecting to get for it?  Any idea?

I have no idea.