vuduchile

Have you been paying attention to the sports card market?

6 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Psa 10 henderson rookie sold for over 180k last night.       Bowman tiffany griffey 10 over 23k.            When people say going to the moon this is the real moon

Very hard to find those cards in a 10.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

I know this... But it drives up the every other grade

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

What percentage of cards in a pack would grade at PSA 10?

10 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

a pack of today's cards or say if you were to open a box of 1980's topps today

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

a pack of today's cards or say if you were to open a box of 1980's topps today

Today’s cards open today.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

Today.

assuming they were not damaged during production, shipping, sitting on shelf, while you open them, while you package them to ship to grading when removed from case to grade......

10's on modern cards are not as difficult as vintage cards. As far as giving a percent of cards that would grade 10 out of a box of cards..... I dont really know if there is an answer

Auto cards are also difficult because the player handles them to sign and after 500 cards they really stop caring about handling with care so edges and corners get dinged 

assuming they were not damaged during production, shipping, sitting on shelf, while you open them, while you package them to ship to grading when removed from case to grade......

10's on modern cards are not as difficult as vintage cards. As far as giving a percent of cards that would grade 10 out of a box of cards..... I dont really know if there is an answer

Auto cards are also difficult because the player handles them to sign and after 500 cards they really stop caring about handling with care so edges and corners get dinged 

I see some cards listed as not centered.  I guess other than bent corners, which is post production, what percentage of untouched cards even come off the press perfect.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

I see some cards listed as not centered.  I guess other than bent corners, which is post production, what percentage of untouched cards even come off the press perfect.

I can't give a percent but yes... There are cards that come straight outta production that are not 10's. There are cards that go into packs that are not 10's

27 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

It differs from set to set and sometimes card to card. Certain years and sets are notorious for being cut off center.  I've seen lots of complaints about 2020 Prizm football for example. 

Luis Robert's first card with the RC designation was in 2020 Opening Day.  It was a short printed card and almost every one I've seen is damaged on the top right corner.  

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

It differs from set to set and sometimes card to card. Certain years and sets are notorious for being cut off center.  I've seen lots of complaints about 2020 Prizm football for example. 

Luis Robert's first card with the RC designation was in 2020 Opening Day.  It was a short printed card and almost every one I've seen is damaged on the top right corner.  

This is what I’m getting at.  Knowing the limited supply of Luis Roberts rookies, buying a 10 today could benefit one knowing this info.

edit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-2020-Topps-Opening-Day-Luis-Robert-RC-SSP-201-Pop-3/174579813597?hash=item28a5c48cdd:g:MjYAAOSwAu5f75T8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

This is what I’m getting at.  Knowing the limited supply of Luis Roberts rookies, buying a 10 today could benefit one knowing this info.

We have a case of 2020 Opening Day hobby boxes at the shop.  We bought a bunch last year when the info about his first RC card being in there came out.  They're still low priced compared to other hobby boxes because it's generally considered a low-end, kids product.  But if Robert ever becomes the player many think he will, those boxes will be valuable.  We're going to put some out after he hits his first couple of HR's this year, but we'll probably hold 3-4 boxes long term.  

12 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

edit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-2020-Topps-Opening-Day-Luis-Robert-RC-SSP-201-Pop-3/174579813597?hash=item28a5c48cdd:g:MjYAAOSwAu5f75T8

This is the exact camp I do not fall into.   I will not buy cards in this realm 

5 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

$5k for a card of a "22" year old Cuban that had a .738 OPS last year?  No thanks

Career will be a huge success if it equals andrew jones 

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Career will be a huge success if it equals andrew jones 

Weren’t you going after Jasson Dominguez?  He hasn’t even seen a major league pitch yet.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Weren’t you going after Jasson Dominguez?  He hasn’t even seen a major league pitch yet.  

nope.. thought it would be fun to get some bowman and chase some as a yankees fan but I was way priced out and didnt buy a pack

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

And now this:

"The sports-memorabilia mogul is selling a majority stake in Goldin Auctions, an eight-year-old shop dedicated to auctioning off collectibles — and trading cards in particular — to the Chernin Group, a Los Angeles-based investment firm. Chernin leads a blockbuster group of investors, including basketball star Kevin Durant, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley, YouTube star Logan Paul and podcaster Bill Simmons.
The group is investing $40 million in Goldin Auctions to help the company become the dominant player in the booming market for sports-trading cards. Sales of such items have soared to new heights in the past couple of years, and Goldin’s firm has emerged as the leading auction house — the Sotheby’s of sports, if you will".

"Right now, Goldin is just an auction house. But Goldin and the Chernin Group have plans to make it a one-stop shop for collectors and hobbyists. The company can compile a database for potential buyers to look up recent transactions, record podcasts to offer insight into the market, and stage the biggest and best auctions around."

Among other things, Goldin hinted last week that they would be expanding to take on ebay as THE auction platform for cards at all price points.  There are a lot of shenanigans happening on ebay and they don't protect sellers very well.  Essentially, potential bidders on the platform would be vetted and auction results would be binding contracts.  This is big news. 

Damn, apparently Goldin HQ is like 3 miles from where I grew up.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, TimHauck said:

Damn, apparently Goldin HQ is like 3 miles from where I grew up.

They’re hiring.  A bunch of good jobs were just posted today. If you know anyone looking for work up there, it could be worth looking into.  

10 hours ago, vuduchile said:

They’re hiring.  A bunch of good jobs were just posted today. If you know anyone looking for work up there, it could be worth looking into.  

Ha I did see that

What about old trading cards from the back of a box of breakfast cereal- Post-

Bob Lilly
Don Meredith
Paul Hornung
Mickey Mantle
Jim Gilliam
Hank Aaron

39 minutes ago, Old School said:

What about old trading cards from the back of a box of breakfast cereal- Post-

Bob Lilly
Don Meredith
Paul Hornung
Mickey Mantle
Jim Gilliam
Hank Aaron

they hold value if cut well

PSA doubled their prices across the board this morning.  They already had a million card backlog and folks were rushing to get their submissions in last week before the price hike.  

We sent in 236 cards at varying service levels to get in under the wire. We saved $6020 total ($1000) on the Jordan rookie alone. With this price hike, PSA just created another massive backlog.

SGC for vintage and junk wax just became much more interesting to me. Their vintage prices are already in line with PSA and their turnaround times have gotten much better recently.  

In other news,  a Luka Doncic rookie card set a record for the highest amount ever paid for a basketball card at $4.6M.  That is insane. 

For perspective, the recent '52 Mantle went for $5.2M. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/luka-doncic-autograph-rookie-card-sells-46-million-sets-record-basketball-collectible/1dm583gbfahkt1wu7e5qfjvcsw

55 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

PSA doubled their prices across the board this morning.  They already had a million card backlog and folks were rushing to get their submissions in last week before the price hike.  

We sent in 236 cards at varying service levels to get in under the wire. We saved $6020 total ($1000) on the Jordan rookie alone. With this price hike, PSA just created another massive backlog.

SGC for vintage and junk wax just became much more interesting to me. Their vintage prices are already in line with PSA and their turnaround times have gotten much better recently.  

Guy I talk to had 91 jeter SP's to submit and I told him prices were going up ya better get them in.. needless to say he didn't listen and his bill will be $18,000 minimum just on grading

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

In other news,  a Luka Doncic rookie card set a record for the highest amount ever paid for a basketball card at $4.6M.  That is insane. 

For perspective, the recent '52 Mantle went for $5.2M. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/luka-doncic-autograph-rookie-card-sells-46-million-sets-record-basketball-collectible/1dm583gbfahkt1wu7e5qfjvcsw

Brady rookie...like 600 dollars lol

To those who are collectors.  Would you sell a Mariano Rivera rookie, at these inflated prices, with the intent of gambling on cards of rookies?

What would you do?

To those who are collectors.  Would you sell a Mariano Rivera rookie, at these inflated prices, with the intent of gambling on cards of rookies?

What would you do?

graded?

PSA 10

I really don't see it being a card that goes bonkers honestly so if your point is to cash out and go gambling then yea 

• Thanks 1

I really don't see it being a card that goes bonkers honestly so if your point is to cash out and go gambling then yea 

Paid $300 6 months ago.  Selling between $1,200-$2,000 in the last 2 weeks.  It’s crazy.

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Guy I talk to had 91 jeter SP's to submit and I told him prices were going up ya better get them in.. needless to say he didn't listen and his bill will be $18,000 minimum just on grading

Ouch.

We also sent 50 to CSG bulk service.  $8 for 60 days.  Let's see if they really deliver.  

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Brady rookie...like 600 dollars lol

Which rookie card are you referring to?  Contenders Rookie Ticket goes for $60K plus.  

38 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

37 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Paid $300 6 months ago.  Selling between $1,200-$2,000 in the last 2 weeks.  It’s crazy.

We operate differently than most collectors and investors, but we would be selling that card for sure.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

We operate differently than most collectors and investors, but we would be selling that card for sure.  

I dont even know what is a good investment anymore... all I am doing is collecting honestly..... I purchased a henderson, bob gibson and frank thomas autos for $275

sold the henderson for $275 and got a gibson and thomas auto for the pc free.... thats the kinda stuff im doing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I dont even know what is a good investment anymore... all I am doing is collecting honestly..... I purchased a henderson, bob gibson and frank thomas autos for $275

sold the henderson for $275 and got a gibson and thomas auto for the pc free.... thats the kinda stuff im doing

That's probably a good move.  With the current runup in prices, nearly everything feels like a gamble right now.  That's great for us, as the gamble drives our biz.  Not so great for collectors/investors.