TheRattler

Potential Auction Strategy

12 team standard scoring $200 budget, standard lineup, the flex allows W/R/T. I'm going through my typical research - articles, rankings, depth charts, etc. My league has a tendency to have 1-2 top star players go for $70+ then a bunch of other players go for $55-69 (about 12-15 players in that range). I typically budget my starting roster and fill out the bench, K, and ST with $1 picks.

Am I smart, crazy, or neither for thinking of budgeting $65 and $55 to my RB spots, and another $40 to get Kelce or Kittle ($40 is what Kelce went for last year)? The idea being I am comfortable with some $10-20 receivers, a $3-4 QB, and grabbing a sleeper TE for $1. I would use Kelce/Kittle as my flex. Potential roster would be Stafford/Barkley/Henry/Boyd/Sanders/Kelce/Gesicki

Am I onto something or no?

I can't recommend flexing a TE, ever, really, but especially not in a non-PPR league.  Besides, why spend $40 on a flex player when you can get basically the same number of points by spending $25 on Melvin Gordon or something?  And then you're still having to start some $1 scrub at TE; it just isn't cost-effective.

You'll get more points out of $25 spent on Melvin Gordon and $10 spent on Hayden Hurst than you will get out of $40 spent on Kelce/Kittle.