Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf Breaks the Seal

I guess after watching the first college football game of the season on Saturday night, it all kind of hit home that there was axually going to be football this year--so I did my first draft of the season this morning; just a little $40 Half-PPR 20 team auction draft to knock the rust off; start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1DST.

QB:  Drew Lock (8), $15; Tyrod Taylor (10), $10.

RB:  Raheem Mostert (11), $41; Ronald Jones II (13), $40; Jordan Howard (11), $20; Nyheim Hines (7), $6.

WR:  Adam Thielen (7), $47; Robert Woods (9), $43; Mike Williams (10), $6; Larry Fitzgerald (8), $2; Kendrick Bourne (11), $1; Mike Thomas (9), $1 (Yes, I tried the fake Mike Thomas trick from the 9 slot and it was too late; everyone was paying attention by then.)

TE:  Jack Doyle (7), $11; Eric Ebron (8), $2

DST:  Los Angeles Rams (9), $5

Remaining:  $0/$250

NOTE:  This is not a "rate my team" post.  This is an educational post designed to teach people how to master a 20 team Half-PPR auction draft.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I guess after watching the first college football game of the season on Saturday night, it all kind of hit home that there was axually going to be football this year--so I did my first draft of the season this morning; just a little $40 Half-PPR 20 team auction draft to knock the rust off; start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1DST.

QB:  Drew Lock (8), $15; Tyrod Taylor (10), $10.

RB:  Raheem Mostert (11), $41; Ronald Jones II (13), $40; Jordan Howard (11), $20; Nyheim Hines (7), $6.

WR:  Adam Thielen (7), $47; Robert Woods (9), $43; Mike Williams (10), $6; Larry Fitzgerald (8), $2; Kendrick Bourne (11), $1; Mike Thomas (9), $1 (Yes, I tried the fake Mike Thomas trick from the 9 slot and it was too late; everyone was paying attention by then.)

TE:  Jack Doyle (7), $11; Eric Ebron (8), $2

DST:  Los Angeles Rams (9), $5

Remaining:  $0/$250

NOTE:  This is not a "rate my team" post.  This is an educational post designed to teach people how to master a 20 team Half-PPR auction draft.

I see a future for you Gnome, similar to that Earnest guy, but with a series of books. The first, of course, called Axe Elf Breaks the Seal....

I have a couple of questions.

1) was this a best ball format?  or do you need to set rosters each week?

2) do you think Tyrod will start the whole season?

comments:  for a 20 team league it looks like you ended up with a solid roster.

if Tyrod plays the whole year, I think you got a steal there.    The true question I have is whether he lasts the whole year as starter.

he should.   but I dont know if he will.

23 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

1) was this a best ball format?  or do you need to set rosters each week?

It's a managed league with $100 budget for FAAB waivers; so yeah, set lineups each week.

24 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

2) do you think Tyrod will start the whole season?

If the Chargers are really kicking butt, maybe--but I kinda doubt it.  I was kind of hoping to pick up Herbert when I dropped the fake Mike Thomas, but he was drafted for $3.

Probably the intersection of the best-case and the most likely scenarios for me is if Tyrod starts until their Week 10 bye.  By then, they will have a pretty good idea of whether or not they are in contention, whether or not Tyrod is worthy of continuing to start, and whether or not it's worth giving the rookie the last few weeks for experience.  Most importantly for me, Drew Lock will then be past his Week 8 bye--and I'm really sort of thinking that Lock will be my main QB, but we'll see.

I mean Lock didn't tear things up when he started late last year, but he was pretty solid for his first five rookie starts.  If you throw out the loss to the Chiefs, Lock won his other four starts with a completion percentage north of 70, over 814 yards passing, and 7 TDs to 2 INTs.  Sutton and Fant continue to develop, Jeudy, Hamler and Gordon increase the offensive firepower in general, and I think Lock will keep me in that 15-17 pts per week range that 80% of all other QBs will fall into.

But if Taylor does go crazy, some of that will probly benefit my WR3, Mike Williams, so it's all good.

I should probably mention for perspective that the most expensive player was Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who went after a bidding war drove him up to $100.  Zeke went for $93.  McCaffrey was actually the 4th-highest paid player, coming in at $84, just under Kamara's $85.  The same owner drafted McCaffrey and Barkley ($79); he is sporting Tyler Boyd and Deebo Samuel at WR, with Irv Smith at TE, and a choice between Justin Jefferson and Damien Harris for flex starts.  We'll see how that works out for him.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It's a managed league with $100 budget for FAAB waivers; so yeah, set lineups each week.

If the Chargers are really kicking butt, maybe--but I kinda doubt it.  I was kind of hoping to pick up Herbert when I dropped the fake Mike Thomas, but he was drafted for $3.

Probably the intersection of the best-case and the most likely scenarios for me is if Tyrod starts until their Week 10 bye.  By then, they will have a pretty good idea of whether or not they are in contention, whether or not Tyrod is worthy of continuing to start, and whether or not it's worth giving the rookie the last few weeks for experience.  Most importantly for me, Drew Lock will then be past his Week 8 bye--and I'm really sort of thinking that Lock will be my main QB, but we'll see.

I mean Lock didn't tear things up when he started late last year, but he was pretty solid for his first five rookie starts.  If you throw out the loss to the Chiefs, Lock won his other four starts with a completion percentage north of 70, over 814 yards passing, and 7 TDs to 2 INTs.  Sutton and Fant continue to develop, Jeudy, Hamler and Gordon increase the offensive firepower in general, and I think Lock will keep me in that 15-17 pts per week range that 80% of all other QBs will fall into.

But if Taylor does go crazy, some of that will probly benefit my WR3, Mike Williams, so it's all good.

well, many dont see the difference between a good QB and a good fantasy QB, but Tyrod is a good fantasy QB.  his rushing yards will give you a nice floor each week.

his last full season as a starter he put up some really solid numbers fanatasy wise.

I think while he starts, he may actually be the better option compared to Lock.

if you could guarantee he starts all year long, hes worth a whole lot more than what you paid.   Sadly, that is not the case.  

hes a solid and efficient game manager who will score points with his feet.  

If the Charger Defense looks good, he may have a good chance to stick as a starter late into the year.   if the Defense stinks,  he wont make it past week 8.

That's my thought.

anyhow, good luck

15 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, many dont see the difference between a good QB and a good fantasy QB, but Tyrod is a good fantasy QB.  his rushing yards will give you a nice floor each week.

his last full season as a starter he put up some really solid numbers fanatasy wise.

I think while he starts, he may actually be the better option compared to Lock.

if you could guarantee he starts all year long, hes worth a whole lot more than what you paid.   Sadly, that is not the case.  

hes a solid and efficient game manager who will score points with his feet.  

If the Charger Defense looks good, he may have a good chance to stick as a starter late into the year.   if the Defense stinks,  he wont make it past week 8.

That's my thought.

anyhow, good luck

Well, any time a player I draft wants to do even better than I think he will, I'm all for it.

Your stars are......drumroll......

Nobody!?

Not a single player, how does that even happen?

I see number 29,35,58,67 in top 200.  That is dismal.

10 hours ago, justforbeer said:

Nobody!?

20 team league dude.

if this was a 10 or 12 teamer, not great.  but in a 20 team league this isnt bad.

To not even have a top 25 player, That is my point.

And if the team was stacked with a bunch of good/solid players, then ok.  It is not.

It looks like a bunch of high-risk players to rise to mediocrity.

13 hours ago, justforbeer said:

Nobody!?

Yes, I eschewed having a superstar or two in favor of being able to field a credible lineup from top to bottom, with some reasonable flex/depth options.  There's a team starting Taysom Hill at QB.

I prefer to think my players are just superstars waiting to happen.  Ronald Jones is going to average 20 touches per game this season, you know (at least according to @TBayXXXVII).  Adam Thielen averages more fantasy points per game when he is targeted nine or more times than any other WR not named Michael Thomas--and his volume should increase in the absence of Diggs.  Robert Woods is the #8 fantasy WR over the past two seasons--and Cooks' targets are now vacant.  And Mostert?  Here's what Matthew Berry has to say about him:

"[Raheem Mostert] is an absolute fantasy football scoring machine, the second-best RB in the NFL in rushes per touchdown. His 12 rushing touchdowns in his final nine games last season led the NFL during that span and he was second in rushing yards, scoring more fantasy points than even Christian McCaffrey. A big play waiting to happen, he led all RBs (minimum 100 carries) in percentage of rushes that went for five-plus yards and 10-plus yards last season. He ran behind a great offensive line (he was second among RBs in yards per rush before first contact) and he was tough to bring down when you finally got to him (he was top 10 among RBs in yards per rush after first contact). He's the starting running back on one of the best running teams in the NFL, a squad that is top five in the league in both rush percentage and red zone rush percentage, so it's exciting to think about how much he'll get fed since he was fourth best among RBs (minimum 100 carries) in fantasy points per touch. [Raheem Mostert] is sure to be a centerpiece on many fantasy championship teams this season."

So no stars?  Puh-leeze.

Just now, AxeElf said:

Yes, I eschewed having a superstar or two in favor of being able to field a credible lineup from top to bottom, with some reasonable flex/depth options.  There's a team starting Taysom Hill at QB.

I prefer to think my players are just superstars waiting to happen.  Ronald Jones is going to average 20 touches per game this season, you know (at least according to @TBayXXXVII).  Adam Thielen averages more fantasy points per game when he is targeted nine or more times than any other WR not named Michael Thomas--and his volume should increase in the absence of Diggs.  Robert Woods is the #8 fantasy WR over the past two seasons.  And Mostert?  Here's what Matthew Berry has to say about him:

"[Raheem Mostert] is an absolute fantasy football scoring machine, the second-best RB in the NFL in rushes per touchdown. His 12 rushing touchdowns in his final nine games last season led the NFL during that span and he was second in rushing yards, scoring more fantasy points than even Christian McCaffrey. A big play waiting to happen, he led all RBs (minimum 100 carries) in percentage of rushes that went for five-plus yards and 10-plus yards last season. He ran behind a great offensive line (he was second among RBs in yards per rush before first contact) and he was tough to bring down when you finally got to him (he was top 10 among RBs in yards per rush after first contact). He's the starting running back on one of the best running teams in the NFL, a squad that is top five in the league in both rush percentage and red zone rush percentage, so it's exciting to think about how much he'll get fed since he was fourth best among RBs (minimum 100 carries) in fantasy points per touch. [Raheem Mostert] is sure to be a centerpiece on many fantasy championship teams this season."

So no stars?  Puh-leeze.

If you had to spend $40 on Jones, it seems at least one other person agrees with me to push you that high.

16 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Can you post the other 19 teams so we can see who you’re referring to that mastered it?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If you had to spend $40 on Jones, it seems at least one other person agrees with me to push you that high.

The $40 spent on Jones was only the 25th-most spent on a RB (tied with Devin Singletary), so it's not like enthusiasm is rampant.  I think Jones is a borderline top 20 candidate, which makes him a very low-end RB1 or a very high-end RB2 in this format--I just think that averaging 20 touches per game is more wishful thinking than rational projecting.

34 minutes ago, JagFan said:

Can you post the other 19 teams so we can see who you’re referring to that mastered it?

Acesinthehole 40 Todd Gurley II (Atl - RB) $58
Acesinthehole 40 Allen Robinson II (Chi - WR) $45
Acesinthehole 40 David Johnson (Hou - RB) $41
Acesinthehole 40 James White (NE - RB) $19
Acesinthehole 40 Tarik Cohen (Chi - RB) $17
Acesinthehole 40 Emmanuel Sanders (NO - WR) $14
Acesinthehole 40 Derek Carr (LV - QB) $13
Acesinthehole 40 Hayden Hurst (Atl - TE) $12
Acesinthehole 40 Jonnu Smith (Ten - TE) $11
Acesinthehole 40 Nick Foles (Chi - QB) $7
Acesinthehole 40 Mitchell Trubisky (Chi - QB) $5
Acesinthehole 40 Bryan Edwards (LV - WR) $3
Acesinthehole 40 Brian Hill (Atl - RB) $2
Acesinthehole 40 Olabisi Johnson (Min - WR) $2
Acesinthehole 40 Arizona (Ari - DEF) $1
alvin's Rad Team Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB) $93
alvin's Rad Team Chris Carson (Sea - RB) $77
alvin's Rad Team Tyler Lockett (Sea - WR) $32
alvin's Rad Team Jarvis Landry (Cle - WR) $23
alvin's Rad Team Ryan Fitzpatrick (Mia - QB) $8
alvin's Rad Team Pittsburgh (Pit - DEF) $7
alvin's Rad Team Jamaal Williams (GB - RB) $2
alvin's Rad Team Chris Conley (Jax - WR) $1
alvin's Rad Team Cole Beasley (Buf - WR) $1
alvin's Rad Team Darwin Thompson (KC - RB) $1
alvin's Rad Team Gerald Everett (LAR - TE) $1
alvin's Rad Team Jimmy Graham (Chi - TE) $1
alvin's Rad Team Marcus Mariota (LV - QB) $1
alvin's Rad Team Ted Ginn Jr. (Chi - WR) $1
alvin's Rad Team Tyrell Williams (LV - WR) $1
Dream Team James Conner (Pit - RB) $51
Dream Team Amari Cooper (Dal - WR) $44
Dream Team Devin Singletary (Buf - RB) $40
Dream Team T.Y. Hilton (Ind - WR) $31
Dream Team Deshaun Watson (Hou - QB) $29
Dream Team Julian Edelman (NE - WR) $20
Dream Team Sam Darnold (NYJ - QB) $11
Dream Team Chicago (Chi - DEF) $7
Dream Team Brandon Aiyuk (SF - WR) $5
Dream Team O.J. Howard (TB - TE) $4
Dream Team Benny Snell Jr. (Pit - RB) $3
Dream Team Miami (Mia - DEF) $2
Dream Team C.J. Uzomah (Cin - TE) $1
Dream Team DeAndre Washington (KC - RB) $1
Dream Team John Ross III (Cin - WR) $1
dylan's Nifty Team Alvin Kamara (NO - RB) $85
dylan's Nifty Team Mike Evans (TB - WR) $50
dylan's Nifty Team Zach Ertz (Phi - TE) $40
dylan's Nifty Team Sony Michel (NE - RB) $22
dylan's Nifty Team Tom Brady (TB - QB) $18
dylan's Nifty Team CeeDee Lamb (Dal - WR) $11
dylan's Nifty Team Adrian Peterson (Was - RB) $9
dylan's Nifty Team Blake Jarwin (Dal - TE) $4
dylan's Nifty Team Carlos Hyde (Sea - RB) $3
dylan's Nifty Team Carolina (Car - DEF) $2
dylan's Nifty Team Tee Higgins (Cin - WR) $2
dylan's Nifty Team Corey Davis (Ten - WR) $1
dylan's Nifty Team Justice Hill (Bal - RB) $1
dylan's Nifty Team Nelson Agholor (LV - WR) $1
dylan's Nifty Team New York (NYG - DEF) $1
EZ Bombers Miles Sanders (Phi - RB) $69
EZ Bombers Austin Ekeler (LAC - RB) $67
EZ Bombers Kyler Murray (Ari - QB) $38
EZ Bombers Jalen Reagor (Phi - WR) $18
EZ Bombers J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB) $17
EZ Bombers Jimmy Garoppolo (SF - QB) $9
EZ Bombers Chase Edmonds (Ari - RB) $8
EZ Bombers Noah Fant (Den - TE) $8
EZ Bombers Boston Scott (Phi - RB) $6
EZ Bombers New England (NE - DEF) $3
EZ Bombers Steven Sims Jr. (Was - WR) $3
EZ Bombers Dallas (Dal - DEF) $1
EZ Bombers Josh Reynolds (LAR - WR) $1
EZ Bombers Reggie Bonnafon (Car - RB) $1
EZ Bombers Russell Gage (Atl - WR) $1
Fantastic Foxes Tyreek Hill (KC - WR) $57
Fantastic Foxes Mark Ingram II (Bal - RB) $42
Fantastic Foxes Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR) $39
Fantastic Foxes D'Andre Swift (Det - RB) $34
Fantastic Foxes Daniel Jones (NYG - QB) $14
Fantastic Foxes Ryan Tannehill (Ten - QB) $14
Fantastic Foxes Tevin Coleman (SF - RB) $14
Fantastic Foxes John Brown (Buf - WR) $12
Fantastic Foxes Robby Anderson (Car - WR) $8
Fantastic Foxes Austin Hooper (Cle - TE) $4
Fantastic Foxes Justin Jackson (LAC - RB) $4
Fantastic Foxes New Orleans (NO - DEF) $3
Fantastic Foxes Dawson Knox (Buf - TE) $2
Fantastic Foxes Denver (Den - DEF) $2
Fantastic Foxes Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB) $1
gOnZo's Team Josh Jacobs (LV - RB) $75
gOnZo's Team Joe Mixon (Cin - RB) $67
gOnZo's Team Matthew Stafford (Det - QB) $32
gOnZo's Team Marquise Brown (Bal - WR) $31
gOnZo's Team Darius Slayton (NYG - WR) $20
gOnZo's Team Allen Lazard (GB - WR) $7
gOnZo's Team Joshua Kelley (LAC - RB) $3
gOnZo's Team Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE) $3
gOnZo's Team LeSean McCoy (TB - RB) $3
gOnZo's Team Jace Sternberger (GB - TE) $2
gOnZo's Team Laviska Shenault Jr. (Jax - WR) $2
gOnZo's Team Los Angeles (LAC - DEF) $2
gOnZo's Team Alshon Jeffery (Phi - WR) $1
gOnZo's Team Antonio Brown (NE - WR) $1
gOnZo's Team Lynn Bowden Jr. (LV - RB) $1
JaSab's 20 Squad Dalvin Cook (Min - RB) $68
JaSab's 20 Squad JuJu Smith-Schuster (Pit - WR) $38
JaSab's 20 Squad A.J. Brown (Ten - WR) $36
JaSab's 20 Squad Darren Waller (LV - TE) $23
JaSab's 20 Squad Alexander Mattison (Min - RB) $22
JaSab's 20 Squad Marvin Jones Jr. (Det - WR) $14
JaSab's 20 Squad Baker Mayfield (Cle - QB) $11
JaSab's 20 Squad Latavius Murray (NO - RB) $10
JaSab's 20 Squad Antonio Gibson (Was - RB) $8
JaSab's 20 Squad Buffalo (Buf - DEF) $4
JaSab's 20 Squad Ian Thomas (Car - TE) $3
JaSab's 20 Squad Jalen Richard (LV - RB) $3
JaSab's 20 Squad New York (NYJ - DEF) $2
JaSab's 20 Squad Jarrett Stidham (NE - QB) $1
JaSab's 20 Squad Mohamed Sanu (NE - WR) $1
Kade's Team Leonard Fournette (Jax - RB) $51
Kade's Team Le'Veon Bell (NYJ - RB) $41
Kade's Team Stefon Diggs (Buf - WR) $36
Kade's Team Courtland Sutton (Den - WR) $33
Kade's Team Will Fuller V (Hou - WR) $23
Kade's Team Evan Engram (NYG - TE) $18
Kade's Team Cam Newton (NE - QB) $12
Kade's Team Anthony Miller (Chi - WR) $8
Kade's Team Dwayne Haskins Jr. (Was - QB) $7
Kade's Team Golden Tate (NYG - WR) $6
Kade's Team Curtis Samuel (Car - WR) $4
Kade's Team Frank Gore (NYJ - RB) $3
Kade's Team Seattle (Sea - DEF) $3
Kade's Team Ryquell Armstead (Jax - RB) $2
Kade's Team Ito Smith (Atl - RB) $1
Laces Out Michael Thomas (NO - WR) $70
Laces Out Calvin Ridley (Atl - WR) $41
Laces Out David Montgomery (Chi - RB) $37
Laces Out Kareem Hunt (Cle - RB) $31
Laces Out Carson Wentz (Phi - QB) $21
Laces Out Brandin Cooks (Hou - WR) $15
Laces Out Tyler Higbee (LAR - TE) $11
Laces Out Henry Ruggs III (LV - WR) $8
Laces Out Philadelphia (Phi - DEF) $4
Laces Out Preston Williams (Mia - WR) $4
Laces Out Chris Herndon (NYJ - TE) $3
Laces Out Indianapolis (Ind - DEF) $2
Laces Out Darrynton Evans (Ten - RB) $1
Laces Out Dion Lewis (NYG - RB) $1
Laces Out JJ Arcega-Whiteside (Phi - WR) $1
Lavanya's Team Aaron Jones (GB - RB) $60
Lavanya's Team Lamar Jackson (Bal - QB) $51
Lavanya's Team DeVante Parker (Mia - WR) $26
Lavanya's Team A.J. Green (Cin - WR) $24
Lavanya's Team Marlon Mack (Ind - RB) $21
Lavanya's Team Jared Goff (LAR - QB) $19
Lavanya's Team Hunter Henry (LAC - TE) $10
Lavanya's Team Philip Rivers (Ind - QB) $10
Lavanya's Team Darrell Henderson Jr. (LAR - RB) $7
Lavanya's Team Mecole Hardman (KC - WR) $6
Lavanya's Team Kenny Stills (Hou - WR) $5
Lavanya's Team N'Keal Harry (NE - WR) $5
Lavanya's Team Michael Pittman Jr. (Ind - WR) $4
Lavanya's Team Cincinnati (Cin - DEF) $1
Lavanya's Team Royce Freeman (Den - RB) $1
Passion del Cankle Davante Adams (GB - WR) $67
Passion del Cankle Julio Jones (Atl - WR) $65
Passion del Cankle Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB) $50
Passion del Cankle Russell Wilson (Sea - QB) $34
Passion del Cankle Joe Burrow (Cin - QB) $15
Passion del Cankle AJ Dillon (GB - RB) $9
Passion del Cankle Randall Cobb (Hou - WR) $2
Passion del Cankle Anthony McFarland Jr. (Pit - RB) $1
Passion del Cankle David Njoku (Cle - TE) $1
Passion del Cankle Green Bay (GB - DEF) $1
Passion del Cankle Jacob Hollister (Sea - TE) $1
Passion del Cankle KJ Hamler (Den - WR) $1
Passion del Cankle Patrick Laird (Mia - RB) $1
Passion del Cankle Peyton Barber (Was - RB) $1
Passion del Cankle Will Dissly (Sea - TE) $1
Quaranteam Derrick Henry (Ten - RB) $78
Quaranteam DeAndre Hopkins (Ari - WR) $60
Quaranteam Odell Beckham Jr. (Cle - WR) $44
Quaranteam Drew Brees (NO - QB) $21
Quaranteam Phillip Lindsay (Den - RB) $20
Quaranteam Teddy Bridgewater (Car - QB) $13
Quaranteam Jared Cook (NO - TE) $4
Quaranteam James Washington (Pit - WR) $2
Quaranteam Tyler Eifert (Jax - TE) $2
Quaranteam Andy Isabella (Ari - WR) $1
Quaranteam Houston (Hou - DEF) $1
Quaranteam Jacksonville (Jax - DEF) $1
Quaranteam Jaylen Samuels (Pit - RB) $1
Quaranteam Malcolm Brown (LAR - RB) $1
Quaranteam Miles Boykin (Bal - WR) $1
Respectful Dons Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC - RB) $100
Respectful Dons Travis Kelce (KC - TE) $55
Respectful Dons DK Metcalf (Sea - WR) $42
Respectful Dons Josh Allen (Buf - QB) $26
Respectful Dons Sterling Shepard (NYG - WR) $9
Respectful Dons Dallas Goedert (Phi - TE) $4
Respectful Dons Darrel Williams (KC - RB) $3
Respectful Dons Justin Herbert (LAC - QB) $3
Respectful Dons Tampa Bay (TB - DEF) $2
Respectful Dons Artavis Pierce (Chi - RB) $1
Respectful Dons DeeJay Dallas (Sea - RB) $1
Respectful Dons Denzel Mims (NYJ - WR) $1
Respectful Dons Marquez Valdes-Scantling (GB - WR) $1
Respectful Dons Rashaad Penny (Sea - RB) $1
Respectful Dons Tennessee (Ten - DEF) $1
Tampa Bay Bandits George Kittle (SF - TE) $56
Tampa Bay Bandits Chris Godwin (TB - WR) $52
Tampa Bay Bandits Zack Moss (Buf - RB) $29
Tampa Bay Bandits Matt Ryan (Atl - QB) $25
Tampa Bay Bandits Gardner Minshew II (Jax - QB) $24
Tampa Bay Bandits Rob Gronkowski (TB - TE) $19
Tampa Bay Bandits Jamison Crowder (NYJ - WR) $12
Tampa Bay Bandits Diontae Johnson (Pit - WR) $11
Tampa Bay Bandits Baltimore (Bal - DEF) $9
Tampa Bay Bandits Chris Thompson (Jax - RB) $6
Tampa Bay Bandits Atlanta (Atl - DEF) $1
Tampa Bay Bandits Auden Tate (Cin - WR) $1
Tampa Bay Bandits Bryce Love (Was - RB) $1
Tampa Bay Bandits Parris Campbell (Ind - WR) $1
Tampa Bay Bandits Rex Burkhead (NE - RB) $1
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Nick Chubb (Cle - RB) $62
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB) $55
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Jerry Jeudy (Den - WR) $17
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Matt Breida (Mia - RB) $16
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB) $15
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Christian Kirk (Ari - WR) $15
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Tony Pollard (Dal - RB) $13
TD s N Beer w/A Mask San Francisco (SF - DEF) $11
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Mike Gesicki (Mia - TE) $9
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Greg Olsen (Sea - TE) $7
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Sammy Watkins (KC - WR) $5
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Kansas City (KC - DEF) $4
TD s N Beer w/A Mask DeSean Jackson (Phi - WR) $3
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Giovani Bernard (Cin - RB) $3
TD s N Beer w/A Mask Gus Edwards (Bal - RB) $1
Team 1 Melvin Gordon III (Den - RB) $47
Team 1 DJ Moore (Car - WR) $46
Team 1 Kenny Golladay (Det - WR) $45
Team 1 Dak Prescott (Dal - QB) $33
Team 1 Keenan Allen (LAC - WR) $29
Team 1 Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) $15
Team 1 Kerryon Johnson (Det - RB) $14
Team 1 Duke Johnson (Hou - RB) $6
Team 1 T.J. Hockenson (Det - TE) $5
Team 1 Ke'Shawn Vaughn (TB - RB) $3
Team 1 Dede Westbrook (Jax - WR) $2
Team 1 Jerick McKinnon (SF - RB) $2
Team 1 Breshad Perriman (NYJ - WR) $1
Team 1 Cleveland (Cle - DEF) $1
Team 1 Danny Amendola (Det - WR) $1
Thanks for the Win! Christian McCaffrey (Car - RB) $84
Thanks for the Win! Saquon Barkley (NYG - RB) $79
Thanks for the Win! Tyler Boyd (Cin - WR) $25
Thanks for the Win! Damien Harris (NE - RB) $13
Thanks for the Win! Deebo Samuel (SF - WR) $13
Thanks for the Win! Kirk Cousins (Min - QB) $11
Thanks for the Win! Justin Jefferson (Min - WR) $9
Thanks for the Win! Minnesota (Min - DEF) $7
Thanks for the Win! Irv Smith Jr. (Min - TE) $2
Thanks for the Win! Washington (Was - DEF) $2
Thanks for the Win! Chase Claypool (Pit - WR) $1
Thanks for the Win! Jameis Winston (NO - QB) $1
Thanks for the Win! John Hightower (Phi - WR) $1
Thanks for the Win! Logan Thomas (Was - TE) $1
Thanks for the Win! Wayne Gallman Jr. (NYG - RB) $1
The Virus Adam Thielen (Min - WR) $47
The Virus Robert Woods (LAR - WR) $43
The Virus Raheem Mostert (SF - RB) $41
The Virus Ronald Jones II (TB - RB) $40
The Virus Jordan Howard (Mia - RB) $20
The Virus Drew Lock (Den - QB) $15
The Virus Jack Doyle (Ind - TE) $11
The Virus Tyrod Taylor (LAC - QB) $10
The Virus Mike Williams (LAC - WR) $6
The Virus Nyheim Hines (Ind - RB) $6
The Virus Los Angeles (LAR - DEF) $5
The Virus Eric Ebron (Pit - TE) $2
The Virus Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR) $2
The Virus Kendrick Bourne (SF - WR) $1
The Virus Mike Thomas (Cin - WR) $1
troy's Team Kenyan Drake (Ari - RB) $68
troy's Team Terry McLaurin (Was - WR) $41
troy's Team Cam Akers (LAR - RB) $38
troy's Team Mark Andrews (Bal - TE) $38
troy's Team DJ Chark Jr. (Jax - WR) $32
troy's Team Michael Gallup (Dal - WR) $19
troy's Team Taysom Hill (NO - QB) $3
troy's Team Tua Tagovailoa (Mia - QB) $3
troy's Team Jacoby Brissett (Ind - QB) $2
troy's Team Detroit (Det - DEF) $1
troy's Team Hunter Renfrow (LV - WR) $1
troy's Team Jordan Akins (Hou - TE) $1
troy's Team Las Vegas (LV - DEF) $1
troy's Team Mason Rudolph (Pit - QB) $1
troy's Team Mike Davis (Car - RB) $1

well, AxeElf, maybe you need to put this in perspective for everyone.

let everyone know the budget.

Most here are used to seeing a $100 or $200 budget, but clearly the budget is a lot larger in this league.

.... ok looks like you just posted auction values.   I guess that helps

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, AxeElf, maybe you need to put this in perspective for everyone.

let everyone know the budget.

Most here are used to seeing a $100 or $200 budget, but clearly the budget is a lot larger in this league.

.... ok looks like you just posted auction values.   I guess that helps

$250 budget.  It's in the first post.  "Remaining:  $0/$250"

The one thing I missed was the size of the league.  I missed that it was a 20-team league.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

$250 budget.  It's in the first post.  "Remaining:  $0/$250"

The one thing I missed was the size of the league.  I missed that it was a 20-team league.

I thought he said so somewhere.

either way, it is now sorted.  I think everyone is on the same page

Honestly, I’ll probably take just about any other team than yours.

The team with McCaffrey, Barkley, Debo, boyd, cousins is a solid team.  

4 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Honestly, I’ll probably take just about any other team than yours.

Ok!  I'll be sure to sign you up for some remedial instruction ASAP!  I would hate for you to go out and draft your own team feeling that way.

5 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

The team with McCaffrey, Barkley, Debo, boyd, cousins is a solid team.  

Seriously?  That team paid $1-$2 for 7 of its 13 skill players--in a TWENTY team league!  That means that over half of that team wouldn't even be on a roster in most leagues up to 16 teams in size.  What's he going to do in Week 7 when Cousins is on bye?  Or Weeks 9, 11 and 13, when the RBs and WRs are on bye?  That's four almost guaranteed losses right there.  Who's he starting at Flex every week?  Jefferson or Harris?  Good luck with that.  If just one of those five players misses any time with injury, it's game over--especially the QB--and Deebo is already battling injuries.  Boyd has a rookie QB.

That team came out pretty much as expected when you buy two expensive studs--two studs and a collection of garbage.

league like this you cant afford to buy more than one stud.   and if you overpay for that stud and he doesnt produce you are dead in the water.

it is worth noting that 16 and 20 team leagues are completely differerent strategy wise compared to your standard 10 and 12 team leagues.

but if we wanna follow this league as iit progresses it would be interesting to see which team does well.

Axe, can you post a quick summary every 3-4 weeks on this one?

I for one, would be interested in seeing how this goes

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

it is worth noting that 16 and 20 team leagues are completely differerent strategy wise compared to your standard 10 and 12 team leagues.

but if we wanna follow this league as iit progresses it would be interesting to see which team does well.

I was about to ask for the same.  Looking through all the rosters, I couldn’t begin to predict how this turns out.  It would be fun to follow through the season.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

I was about to ask for the same.  Looking through all the rosters, I couldn’t begin to predict how this turns out.  It would be fun to follow through the season.

Sure.  It's not like I'll have a lot to do this season...

Every post I read of yours....... I say to myself, can he embarrass himself anymore ? And the answer is yes, it just keeps coming

• Haha 1

Your team is solid..... top 4 are sneaky good.  I especially love Mostert at that price,  drafting him everywhere.  

On 8/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, AxeElf said:

I should probably mention for perspective that the most expensive player was Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who went after a bidding war drove him up to $100.  Zeke went for $93.  McCaffrey was actually the 4th-highest paid player, coming in at $84, just under Kamara's $85.  The same owner drafted McCaffrey and Barkley ($79); he is sporting Tyler Boyd and Deebo Samuel at WR, with Irv Smith at TE, and a choice between Justin Jefferson and Damien Harris for flex starts.  We'll see how that works out for him.

Who is his qb? That's a great core for a 20 reamer. I am high on Boyd 

13 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Ok!  I'll be sure to sign you up for some remedial instruction ASAP!  I would hate for you to go out and draft your own team feeling that way.

Seriously?  That team paid $1-$2 for 7 of its 13 skill players--in a TWENTY team league!  That means that over half of that team wouldn't even be on a roster in most leagues up to 16 teams in size.  What's he going to do in Week 7 when Cousins is on bye?  Or Weeks 9, 11 and 13, when the RBs and WRs are on bye?  That's four almost guaranteed losses right there.  Who's he starting at Flex every week?  Jefferson or Harris?  Good luck with that.  If just one of those five players misses any time with injury, it's game over--especially the QB--and Deebo is already battling injuries.  Boyd has a rookie QB.

That team came out pretty much as expected when you buy two expensive studs--two studs and a collection of garbage.

I disagree. He did the auction the right way. 

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I disagree. He did the auction the right way. 

I don't think you really understand the dynamics of a 20 team league.  If it was a 10-12 team league, you can sometimes get by with the "Studs & Scrubs" strategy--spending all your money on three or four players and filling out the rest with $1 players--because you can rely to some extent on building your team through waivers and free agency during the season (at least if your "Studs" end up meeting their expectations, and not spending half the season on IR, or just outright busting).

In a 20 team league, the waiver wire is bare.  If Tyler Boyd goes down, even for a week or two, he's going to have his choice of Tavon Austin or Andre Roberts to fill in for him--and he'll have at least six weeks of byes to fill in for his starters.  I won't even count the TE, because both of his TEs are scrubs anyway.  Sure, a couple of value free agents will appear during the season, but it's FAAB waivers, so to get one of them you're pretty much going to have to spend your whole bankroll, and you'll probly get at most ONE high-value free agent during the season--better make it count!

So for most intents and purposes, what you get in the draft of a 20 team league is what you play with for the year.  He will have to get extremely lucky for his entire starting lineup to stay healthy and perform at a high level all season--and that's not even counting the four or five automatic losses he'll take because of byes.

Axe, I dont think people will get it until they see the final results.

In a 20 team league what you just said in your last post is correct.   what you draft is basically what you will end up with for the year.

I think people just dont fully understand the dynamic of a 20 team league.   and that's fine.

Switching from a 12 teamer to a 20 teamer is like switching from a 6 team league to a 10 team league.

your strategy that you need to play changes because of the depth (or lack of depth) of talent for all the teams to draw upon.

I fully agree if this was a 12 teamer, we should be laughing at this team.  but it is not a 12 teamer.   This is a 20 team league so the talent you are suggesting he should have isnt there.  not in great amounts.

in a league there are 2 winning strategies you can employ:

1) draft one stud, and a number of 2nd tier players.

2) draft no studs and have a number of average players.   if you are lucky you can grab a few that have upside and have enough cash left over to provide some roster depth as well.

you can try drafting 2 studs, but in that scenario you are running with scrubs on the rest of your roster (For the most part)   I have never seen this strategy work in a 20 team league, but I wouldnt be surprised if it has happened.  I'd suggest this scenario requires a lot of luck to win your draft with.

I dont agree with Axe on everything, but on this I agree that even if you dont like the personell on his team..... he employed the right strategy for this draft.   That does not mean he will win.  It just means he has a chance. 

Like with everything a certain amount of luck is needed and your players need to remain healthy to win.

Sorry Axe but there were big mistakes by you throughout the draft.

Yes, please keep us posted on how this team fares, good or bad. 

In-season injuries play a huge role in 20-teamers like this, obviously, and with all the drama that will potentially unfold this NFL season, it's even harder than usual to judge a freshly drafted team. However, after examining all 20 rosters, it is my initial conclusion that your Virus team will do well to reach a .500 record.

Its solid but I would want my highest investments to be more than a 30 year old WR who missed alot of last season and an running back who had a great stretch of games but doesn't have a long term track record.  

I like the more we’ll rounded team vs the over reliance on 1-2 players. To wit: MCCAFFREY faded at the end last year and the kamara owner is probably sweating that pick right now. Ray’s comment about waiver wire spot on.

now if axe had only drafted Darrel Williams!

On 8/30/2020 at 7:33 PM, AxeElf said:

I agree that you have nice team balance and a fairly high certainty of making the playoffs. While its an entirely different strategy, I actually also like the studs and duds team you mention, if the goal is to win the league rather than make the playoffs. Mcaffrey and Barkley can win him some weeks alone in a 20 tm league. Boyd/ Deebo could be a killer strong tandem on top for a 20 tm league......... if Deebos health cooperates. TE might actually be sneaky OK/league avg with Irv Smith and Logan Thomas. League avg QB, not that he needs either to TE or QB to even be avg. Harris has a touch of momentum to him, who knows what happens there, for that owner its about managing, but his studs cover up some holes and make the ceiling awfully high.

First Update:  Acquired Demarcus Robinson for Mike Thomas in the first waiver period.

There were some surprising players dropped in the first waiver period, too:

John Ross III was dropped for La'Mical Perine.

Will Dissley was dropped for Dan Arnold.

Malcolm Brown was dropped for Trey Burton.

Justice Hill was dropped for Ty Montgomery, who was in turn then dropped for Trayveon Williams.

There were no DSTs on the waiver wire after the draft, but the Falcons and the Raiders were dropped for Tre'Quan Smith and Greg Ward.

And finally, a pair of FFToday poster's darlings were dropped, JJ Artega-Whiteside and Bryce Love, for Devine Ozigbo and Dare Ogunbowale.

They will all clear waivers late Friday night.  The only one I really feel like pursuing is Ross, but somebody will probly drop $60 of their $100 FAAB on him, so I'm not holding my breath.  It would be kind of nice to get a 2nd D for the Rams' bye Week 9, but I'm not sure one week of D is worth Bourne or Robinson.  Malcolm Brown might be, but I don't really trust any of the Ram RBs.

And that leads me to the first trade that is up for review:

Troy's Team sends Cam Akers.

Tampa Bay Bandits send Gardner Minshew and Chris Thompson.

I'm not a big fan of vetoing legitimate trades, but I hope everyone votes against that one.  QBs are gold in this league (and Minshew is in the top half), Thompson is now the most valuable of the Jaguars' RBs, and Cam Akers was listed as the 3rd RB on the Rams' 8/26 depth chart.  So I hope that's not how trades are going to go in this league--but hey, at least it was only $40.

5 hours ago, stonewall said:

after examining all 20 rosters, it is my initial conclusion that your Virus team will do well to reach a .500 record.

Axe Elf finishes under .500 in a fantasy football league?  Take it to the Bold Predictions thread.

4 hours ago, Matt Mueller said:

Its solid but I would want my highest investments to be more than a 30 year old WR who missed alot of last season and an running back who had a great stretch of games but doesn't have a long term track record.  

I wanted that too.

Unfortunately, the parameters of the league prevented me from doing that AND having a chance to win, so I chose having a chance to win instead.

3 hours ago, lesjroza said:

I agree that you have nice team balance and a fairly high certainty of making the playoffs. While its an entirely different strategy, I actually also like the studs and duds team you mention, if the goal is to win the league rather than make the playoffs. Mcaffrey and Barkley can win him some weeks alone in a 20 tm league. Boyd/ Deebo could be a killer strong tandem on top for a 20 tm league......... if Deebos health cooperates. TE might actually be sneaky OK/league avg with Irv Smith and Logan Thomas. League avg QB, not that he needs either to TE or QB to even be avg. Harris has a touch of momentum to him, who knows what happens there, for that owner its about managing, but his studs cover up some holes and make the ceiling awfully high.

Your assessment skills seem superior to some of my students, but I think you're forgetting that he has to GET to the playoffs before he can be a factor, and with 4 losses pretty much guaranteed due to byes and no depth, missing a couple Deebo games at the beginning of the season, and the usual random game against a monster performance once or twice during the course of a season, he's probly going to have to make the playoffs with a .500 record or so--assuming everyone else stays healthy and consistently performs at a high level.

Man, it would suck to spend $40's of my budget on a # 2 RB....