Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf Breaks the Seal

Ok, a third of the season down, and my back is against the wall--for good reason.  Let's review...

Week 1

The 170 points scored by my team (bench included) was some 20 points more than the next-highest-scoring of the other 19 teams, and the 101 points scored by my starters were the 4th-most of all 20 teams, as I overcame my Week 1 underdog status with an opening win--despite Tyrod Taylor scoring all of 9 points against Cincinnati for me, and Jordan Howard's underwhelming Dolphin debut.

Week 2

Tyrod Taylor was a gametime scratch and posted a zero.  My other QB, Drew Lock, was on my bench, but was injured in this game, leaving me zero healthy QBs in a 20 team league for the foreseeable future.  My RB1, Raheem Mostert, had a great half, and then was injured.  Ronald Jones, my RB2, was benched for Brady's fumble and Fournette mopped up.  Mike Williams returned to health, and to my flex position, only to give me 2.4 points.  Adam Thielen posted a 4.6.  The shine also came off of Nyheim Hines' big opener.  Howard continued to be a bust.  I was blown out by 40 points.

Week 3

After spending $85 of my $100 FAAB to get Jeff Driskel so I wouldn't be without a QB until Tyrod or Lock got back, Driskel immediately sucked enough to get benched in favor of Brett Rypien.  I had no Mostert, and couldn't even count on Howard to keep getting his 1-yard-TD-per-game, so my RB2 was Hines, and he sucked again.  Nonetheless, I was in the game until the end, but finally suffered an 8-point loss to fall under .500.

Week 4

Still no QB and no Mostert--and then my flex (Corey Davis) had an unexpected bye--this was basically just a forfeit and a hope to get healthy soon.  As expected, I took a third straight L--but I did put my best foot forward, leaving only 5.6 total points on my bench this week.

Week 5

Just when I thought I might get Drew Lock back for a Monday Nighter against the Patriots, COVID strikes again, and I have yet another week without a QB.  Remarkably, the rest of my lineup excelled, and I only lost by 7 points, even with no QB.  If I had flexed Mike Williams instead of Greg Ward, I would have won by 11.  If I'd also had a QB who scored 14 points, I'd have won by 25.

So now I'm sitting at 1-4, and my season basically hangs in the balance.  If I don't start stringing together some wins, I can kiss this $40 goodbye.

ROS

I have Drew Lock back, and he's had his bye, so if he can stay healthy, I have a QB for the rest of the year.  I'm not expecting it to be a position of strength, but it doesn't have to be; I'd be 3-2 right now if I just had 10 points from a QB in Weeks 3 and 5.

I have Mostert back, and he and Jones should be lock and load for the next 5 weeks for me (they have byes in Weeks 11 and 13).

Between Mike Williams and Corey Davis, both of whom will be past their byes after this week as well, I should be able to adequately cover upcoming byes for Thielen (Week 7) and Woods (Week 9), and still have a capable flex option as well (Hines would be my emergency flex).

With 8 out of 20 teams making the playoffs, I figure I'm going to have to go at least 6-2 the rest of the way to finish at 7-6 or better if I want to have a shot at the money.  Fortunately, the combined record of my remaining eight opponents is 14-26, with the two best teams each having a 3-2 record, and the other six all being under .500--so there's nobody out there that's really unbeatable.  I know I won't win any total points tiebreakers with the scoring handicaps I have endured through the first five weeks--but I do have the 5th-most points scored against me through five weeks, so by regression to the mean, I should be able to expect some lower scores from my remaining opponents in the second half of the season.

On the downside, I'm going to be without a Defense in the Rams' bye week (9), and I'll be starting Nyheim Hines or Jordan Howard in place of Ronald Jones in Week 11--and most significantly, in place of Raheem Mostert in Week 13, when I will probably be playing for the final win I will need to get into the playoffs.  On the upside, my Week 11 and Week 13 opponents are both currently 0-5.  So there's that.

Ironically, that pathetic 0-5 Week 13 opponent that has currently scored the fewest points of all 20 teams?  Yeah, that's the team that drafted McCaffrey and Barkley--you know, the team that everyone couldn't stop nuthugging when I posted the draft results?  I think we can close the book on whether that was a good strategy or a bad strategy in a 20 team league.

Axe Elf is always up for a great comeback.  My task has been Sisyphean so far this season, but I have the weaponry to make it happen.  I just need my team to return to the glory of its Week 1 dominance by staying healthy and productive.

Current Roster

QB:  Drew Lock, Tyrod Taylor

RB:  Raheem Mostert, Ronald Jones II, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Howard

WR:  Adam Thielen, Robert Woods, Mike Williams, Corey Davis (COVID-IR), Greg Ward, Larry Fitzgerald

TE:  Eric Ebron, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox (IR)

DST:  Los Angeles Rams

In waivers tonight, I will likely pick up either Adam Humphries, Scotty Miller, or Willie Snead (in that order of preference) to fill the open slot on my roster until Corey Davis comes off of COVID-IR.

6-2 OR BUST!!!

1 hour ago, DrG said:

If jacoby Brissett were available he might be worth grabbing

I'm axually kind of surprised that he IS available--but no, I'm not picking him up.  The Colts don't seem to be wavering in their support of Rivers, and if things ever got bad enough that they were willing to make the swap, they might even kick the tires on the rookie QB Jacob Eason some.

I don't really see Brissett's upside as being any greater than Drew Lock's--and not really even a significant upgrade over my current QB2, Tyrod Taylor, at this point.

As long as Lock is healthy you’re okay there then. Justin Hebert was my draft pick in a dynasty league 10th pick)

I agree with your talent assessment between Tyrod and Jacoby but the latter might have more of a chance to play if Rivers keeps throwing game killer picks

1 minute ago, DrG said:

As long as Lock is healthy you’re okay there then. Justin Hebert was my draft pick in a dynasty league 10th pick)

I agree with your talent assessment between Tyrod and Jacoby but the latter might have more of a chance to play if Rivers keeps throwing game killer picks

A Rivers benching on one side, a Herbert injury on the other--doesn't make a lot of difference in that regard, but Taylor has more job security than Brissett even if both were to start.  Eason is on the horizon for Brissett, but Taylor was Lynn's choice to start all along.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, stonewall said:

Yes, please keep us posted on how this team fares, good or bad. 

In-season injuries play a huge role in 20-teamers like this, obviously. However, after examining all 20 rosters, it is my initial conclusion that your Virus team will do well to reach a .500 record.

Need for you to pull off that 6-2 finish to squelch my assessment. Tough....but definitely possible now that you are getting healthy.

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

Need for you to pull off that 6-2 finish to squelch my assessment.

Every bit of motivation helps.  Thanx!

1-4, that’s some skill.  

5 hours ago, stonewall said:

Need for you to pull off that 6-2 finish to squelch my assessment. Tough....but definitely possible now that you are getting healthy.

True.   At this point the strategy he took in draftiing does not appear to be a terrible one.

his biggest mistake was drafting QB's who got hurt.

i guess if drafting Tyrod, it may have been advisable to try to draft his backup (herbert)at that time.  As he wasnt supposed to be the starter i dont think the cost would have been unreal(though in an auctiion league anything is possble).

but thats a mistake we all have likely made at one point or another if weve played fantasy for some time.  some of us have made that mistake more than once.

in a 20 team league, you also need to conserve money and roster space too so its not just as easy as picking a better player.   Theres a cost to it

looks like at least one or two of his losses would have been wins if he had a healthy QB to start.  

That being said, if Lock remained Healthy this thread would have a different tone to it.

the season isnt lost yet, and if Lock can play and be effective, this team may do some damage yet.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:25 PM, AxeElf said:

I was kind of hoping to pick up Herbert when I dropped the fake Mike Thomas, but he was drafted for $3.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

i guess if drafting Tyrod, it may have been advisable to try to draft his backup (herbert)at that time.

It's not that I didn't think of that, but being stuck with the fake Mike Thomas kind of limited my roster flexibility, and at the time that Herbert was drafted for $3, my max bid was $3, so I couldn't have won him if I had tried.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd probly be 3-2 right now if I'd been able to land Herbert--so in a way, the fake Mike Thomas stunt might have cost me two wins, and possibly a playoff berth.

Butterfly effect...

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

In waivers tonight, I will likely pick up either Adam Humphries, Scotty Miller, or Willie Snead (in that order of preference) to fill the open slot on my roster until Corey Davis comes off of COVID-IR.

I landed Humphries, and with Corey Davis out, I'm flexing him over Greg Ward this week.

I'm favored to win by 17.54 points (96.89-79.35).

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I landed Humphries, and with Corey Davis out, I'm flexing him over Greg Ward this week.

Well, that worked--and might have saved me the win--but I'm not out of the woods yet.

After I got a combined 7.36 points from Eric Ebron, the Rams' D, and Drew Lock (thanks for the two late INTs!)--and after getting a 76-yard half out of Mostert and then an ankle injury--I did post a final score some 15+ points lower than I was projected to score, and I'm sitting on 81.06 going into Monday.  My opponent has Gallup and Drake, and 50.52 points so far.

So I'll need less than 30.54 out of Gallup and Drake combined to stay on track--and hope that Mostert's ankle isn't too serious.

Let me ask you a question, I am also drowning with what I thought was a good team. Is it time to get rid of JJ Schuster & Diontae Johnson? I hate to throw them out there and have the owner of Big Ben gobble one of the two. What is your take?

23 hours ago, AxeElf said:

So I'll need less than 30.54 out of Gallup and Drake combined to stay on track.

Ya gotta be shittin' me.

23 hours ago, AxeElf said:

So I'll need less than 30.54 out of Gallup and Drake combined to stay on track--and hope that Mostert's ankle isn't too serious.

I almost posted at halftime--I was still up by almost-20 points, and Gallup had just fingertipped a TD that would have cut my lead to 12.  I liked my chances.  But the butterfly in my stomach was the lopsided score--Dallas was set up to throw and Arizona was set up to run...

Then I watched Dalton badly overthrow Gallup on what would have been a 50+ (?) TD with a better pass...

Then I watched as Murray FAKED the ball to Drake on the 1 yard line and ran it in himself...

Then I watched as Gallup was targeted NO LESS THAN FOUR MORE TIMES in the Red Zone without success...

And I'm still up by like 10 points and it's almost the end of the game and I think I'm really gonna do this and the Cardinals can almost just take a knee...

Almost...

And just like that, I lose...

81.06 - 82.22

And Mostert's out for at least 3 weeks.

Well, that was fun... until it wasn't.

Good skill. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Good skill. 

Right?  To ALMOST overcome all this bad luck?

None but Axe Elf could even dream of accomplishing this.

That should prove that it's not ALL luck.

0-6 here. 
Benched Drake for Mattison, played against Henry.

Such is the life of an old faggit that can't put anything together as far as FF is concerned this year.

Doesn't matter though...I'll still be making moves this week and watching our Fooseball for 8+ hours every Sunday. :cheers:

43 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Right?  To ALMOST overcome all this bad luck?

None but Axe Elf could even dream of accomplishing this.

That should prove that it's not ALL luck.

So you overcome some  bad luck, Lol now you sound like a whiner. 

Im giving you all the credit, I think your team is built on your great ff skill, oh what’s that teams ff record now? 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Im giving you all the credit, I think your team is built on your great ff skill...

I do appreciate that.

This experience only goes to show that in the end, Axe Elf was right all along--2020 is a year where even the greatest of fantasy football skill could easily do one no good whatsoever.

Sorry to see your team fall on such hard times.  Mostert going down again is going to be rough.

I assume Quaranteam is at the top of the standings.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I assume you're being sarcastic...?

44 minutes ago, Canadianfan said:

this entire post is a complete waste of time for everyone including the OP.  

Why did you post? If it’s a waste of time. 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:47 AM, nobody said:

I see why you said that now.  lol

Looking back at the draft results, Quaranteam did indeed draft what turned out to be several solid players this year--Derrick Henry, DeAndre Hopkins, and OBJ in particular.

But since the draft, he has endeavored to systematically dismantle any semblance of competitive players and sell them off for pennies on the dollar.

On September 18, he traded Derrick Henry, James Washington, and Tyler Eifert for Courtland Sutton, Will Fuller and Evan Engram.

On September 22, he traded OBJ and Jaylen Samuels for Chris Thompson and Parris Campbell.

On September 27, he traded Hopkins for Anthony Miller, Curtis Samuel, and Leonard Fournette.

He has basically turned around and dropped everyone he has spent FAAB on within a few weeks.  On September 5, he acquired JJ Arcega-Whiteside for a $20 waiver.  On September 16, he dropped JJ for Willie Snead on a $40 waiver.  On October 15, he dropped Snead for Trey Burton on a $20 waiver.  He had previously picked up Trey Burton for free on September 2 (dropping Malcolm Brown before his huge Week 1), and then dropped Burton on September 6 for Trent Taylor on a $5 waiver.  He dropped Taylor on September 19 for Corey Clement on a $1 waiver, and dropped Clement 8 days later.  That's $86 of his $100 right there--with nothing to show for it.

So Quaranteam is currently in dead last 20th place, the only winless team, and the only team that has not yet scored at least 400 total points.

When you said you assumed he was at the top of the standings, I thought you had SEEN the standings and were being sarcastic.

On 10/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, AxeElf said:

So Quaranteam is currently in dead last 20th place, the only winless team, and the only team that has not yet scored at least 400 total points.

It's axually kind of funny, now that I look at it.  The three "favorites"--Quaranteam, me, and the guy who drafted Barkley and McCaffrey--are currently 18th (me), 19th, and 20th, and the only three teams to be 1-5 or worse.

That's 2020 for ya!

I liked Quaranteam, JaSab, and Lavanya before the season, but Quaranteam giving his best players away for peanuts probably changed the whole dynamic of the league.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I liked Quaranteam, JaSab, and Lavanya before the season, but Quaranteam giving his best players away for peanuts probably changed the whole dynamic of the league.

JaSab is currently 2-4, in 15th place, and Lavanya is doing well, at 4-2 in 4th place (although he is 9th in total points and has fewer total points than five 3-3 teams).

On 10/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, weepaws said:

Why did you post? If it’s a waste of time. 

go suck on your bible 

10 hours ago, Canadianfan said:

go suck on your bible 

Now this is the second time you waisted your own time. 

What a waste. 

Now this is the second time you waisted your own time. 

What a waste. 

I always have time for you big boy 

On 10/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, AxeElf said:

I see why you said that now.  lol

Looking back at the draft results, Quaranteam did indeed draft what turned out to be several solid players this year--Derrick Henry, DeAndre Hopkins, and OBJ in particular.

But since the draft, he has endeavored to systematically dismantle any semblance of competitive players and sell them off for pennies on the dollar.

On September 18, he traded Derrick Henry, James Washington, and Tyler Eifert for Courtland Sutton, Will Fuller and Evan Engram.

On September 22, he traded OBJ and Jaylen Samuels for Chris Thompson and Parris Campbell.

On September 27, he traded Hopkins for Anthony Miller, Curtis Samuel, and Leonard Fournette.

Looking at the draft results, were Henry and Hopkins traded to the same guy (Kade's team)?  I'd guess he might be in first, but he did spend $92 on drafting Fournette and LeVeon Bell, so no idea.

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Looking at the draft results, were Henry and Hopkins traded to the same guy (Kade's team)?  I'd guess he might be in first, but he did spend $92 on drafting Fournette and LeVeon Bell, so no idea.

Henry was traded to Kade's team; Hopkins went to Dream Team.

Dream Team is in 11th place with a 3-3 record.

Kade's team is in 7th place, but he shouldn't get used to it; he's the worst 4-2 team, with literally less than 10 more fantasy points scored than my broke-ass team (504.10 to my 494.22).  If he had 8 fewer points scored against him, he would have faced the worst cumulative opposition in the league.  I don't know if Henry can save him.

Since everyone is guessing, the team that is currently the undisputed #1 overall team in the league, the only "perfect" undefeated team at 6-0, and the only team to score more than 600 points thus far with a massive 639 (almost 60 more than the 2nd-most scored) is...

Alvin's Rad Team

QB:  Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Allen, CJ Beathard

RB:  Ezekiel Elliott, Chris Carson, James Robinson, Jamaal Williams

WR:  Tyler Lockett, Cole Beasley, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills

TE:  Jimmy Graham, Gerald Everett, James O'Shaughnessy

DST:  Pittsburgh Steelers

I know, right?  Outstanding RBs for a 20 team league, and one of the best DSTs... but otherwise, kinda meh to be that far in front of everyone else.

He does, however, have $0 FAAB remaining...

When last we left our hero, he was losing a must-win game by 1 point to Kenyan Drake's garbage-time TD.

In Week 7, Adam Thielen, Jordan Howard and Nyheim Hines were on bye, so with Mostert injured, I was forced to go dumpster diving for a RB2, and came up with Peyton Barber.  Right off the bat, I get just what I hoped for--a first and goal at the 1 yard line for the Re-skins, and Barber is in the backfield!  Kyle Allen fakes it to Barber and runs it in himself.  Thielen's sub, Mike Williams, scores 0.9 points.  And of course, I had Drew Lock and his usual 2 INTs falling 0.04 fantasy points short of the Rams' DST as my highest-scoring player.  My opponent really only needed Tee Higgins and Kamara, along with Brady's 5 TD destruction of the Raiders, to best my paltry 68.86 points, dropping my team to 1-6.

And so, still mathematically alive, but needing to win out, I drag my broke-ass team up against JaSab's lineup of Baker Mayfield, AJ Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, Marvin Jones (who picked a fine week to score 2 TDs), Darren Waller, the Buffalo D, Latavius Murray and... (ominous music) ...Dalvin Cook, who singlehandedly posted 47.6 points.

And yet, somehow, I am currently up by 3 points--he's done, and I still have Ronald Jones to go.  Is that crazy, or what?

People who beat Dalvin Cook this week, REPRESENT!

I finally got the kind of QB production I was hoping for out of Lock--maybe he's finally back from the injury--a 20 point day from him.  Thielen kind of laid an egg, but Woods and Corey Davis made up for him.  Ebron added a TD to his usual 7 points, and Nyheim Hines had his best game since opening day.

Yahoo still thinks my opponent has a 7% chance of winning, so I should probably just take Jones out of my lineup to prevent getting screwed by him fumbling away his first two carries and then getting benched or something (it IS 2020, you know), but I think I will live on the edge and shoot instead for one of the top 5 scores of the year, if Jones can do about 15 points worth of damage or so.  I may need all the total points I can get, if the bizarre happens and I end up needing the tiebreaker later on.

So 2-6, with 5 regular-season games left to sweep to avoid a losing record... and then maybe 3 more playoff games...?

Here we go, 8-0, here we go...

Guy in my yahoo league beat the Dalvin Cook (48.6) owner already and still has Ronald Jones to go. Cook's owner got no help from Golliday & Cooper (1.5 total) and Josh Allen's measly 12.5.

Thanks for the thread, Axe, it's really an interesting league and I look forward to your weekly updates. Good luck on the road to 8-0!

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

When last we left our hero, he was losing a must-win game by 1 point to Kenyan Drake's garbage-time TD.

In Week 7, Adam Thielen, Jordan Howard and Nyheim Hines were on bye, so with Mostert injured, I was forced to go dumpster diving for a RB2, and came up with Peyton Barber.  Right off the bat, I get just what I hoped for--a first and goal at the 1 yard line for the Re-skins, and Barber is in the backfield!  Kyle Allen fakes it to Barber and runs it in himself.  Thielen's sub, Mike Williams, scores 0.9 points.  And of course, I had Drew Lock and his usual 2 INTs falling 0.04 fantasy points short of the Rams' DST as my highest-scoring player.  My opponent really only needed Tee Higgins and Kamara, along with Brady's 5 TD destruction of the Raiders, to best my paltry 68.86 points, dropping my team to 1-6.

And so, still mathematically alive, but needing to win out, I drag my broke-ass team up against JaSab's lineup of Baker Mayfield, AJ Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, Marvin Jones (who picked a fine week to score 2 TDs), Darren Waller, the Buffalo D, Latavius Murray and... (ominous music) ...Dalvin Cook, who singlehandedly posted 47.6 points.

And yet, somehow, I am currently up by 3 points--he's done, and I still have Ronald Jones to go.  Is that crazy, or what?

People who beat Dalvin Cook this week, REPRESENT!

I finally got the kind of QB production I was hoping for out of Lock--maybe he's finally back from the injury--a 20 point day from him.  Thielen kind of laid an egg, but Woods and Corey Davis made up for him.  Ebron added a TD to his usual 7 points, and Nyheim Hines had his best game since opening day.

Yahoo still thinks my opponent has a 7% chance of winning, so I should probably just take Jones out of my lineup to prevent getting screwed by him fumbling away his first two carries and then getting benched or something (it IS 2020, you know), but I think I will live on the edge and shoot instead for one of the top 5 scores of the year, if Jones can do about 15 points worth of damage or so.  I may need all the total points I can get, if the bizarre happens and I end up needing the tiebreaker later on.

So 2-6, with 5 regular-season games left to sweep to avoid a losing record... and then maybe 3 more playoff games...?

Good skill, or has it just been bad luck? 

Good skill, or has it just been bad luck? 

Your Alzheimer's is showing again...  We already covered this:

Try to keep up.

55 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Your Alzheimer's is showing again...  We already covered this:

Try to keep up.

Doesn’t answer the question, bad skill or luck?