Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2020 US Open Thread (Golf)**

The US Open is set to begin in a little more than two weeks. In response, here's the usual thread to get discussion going. Winged Foot is an absolute beast and should still be in September although probably not as much as in June. Nevertheless, here is my predicted Top Ten with consideration for others noted as well. 

Top Ten:

1. Xander Schauffele- Contends at nearly every major at this point, but I think his first major win will come at a US Open given the grit that he plays with. He's my pick. 

2. Dustin Johnson- Will be the prohibitive favorite and for good reason. DJ is racking up lots of runner-up finishes in majors. Here's guessing he does so again at Winged Foot. 

3. Hideki Matsuyama- Like the way he's dialed in of late in terms of focus, scrambling, and on the greens. Would not be a surprise if he won. 

4. Jon Rahm- Will be a favorite also alongside Johnson. Game is too well rounded to keep out of a top five at any major in the near future barring an injury. 

5. Tyrrell Hatton- Quietly playing the most consistent golf his career; A meltdown at some point might cost him a chance to win, but top-five is to be expected, meltdown or not. 

6. Adam Scott- A lot of guys have played a ton of golf since things resumed in June. Not Scott, who should be fresh and prepared to give it a go. 

7. Daniel Berger- Simply too good of late not to include in this list of contenders. Berger is doing everything well and has contended at the US Open as recently as two years ago. 

8. Justin Thomas- Outside of his one major win, his record in majors really isn't all that stellar. Still, only Johnson and Rahm (and maybe Berger) are playing better of late. 

9. Webb Simpson- Wisely rested last week and has put together the best season of his career, albeit under the radar of the casual fan. Probably have him too low actually. 

10. Viktor Hovland- Whereas the young guys totally excelled at the PGA, I think they'll struggle to find footing here with the exception of Hovland, who I like, 

No Rory McIlroy on the list as his play has been pretty lackluster since June and is expecting his first child any day now. Koepka likewise does not make the list. I think DeChambeau will implode on this course, but I do look for him to bounce back and be a factor at the Masters. I probably should have put Scottie Scheffler on this list as he's playing well, but again, Winged Foot requires some experience I think. Morikawa has appeared a bit hungover (figuratively speaking) since his PGA win. 

• Thanks 1

Rahm played Winged Foot yesterday and apparently declared that the winning score will once again be over par. Sounds like it will be a pretty stern test. 

4 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Koepka withdraws

Didn't he announce he was done for the year?

I’m high on the following players this week.  Accurate drivers of the golf ball who are relativity good putters.  

John Rahm

Webb Simpson

Daniel Berger

Collin Morikawa 

Abraham Ancer