Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Dog owners: tablets that help keep urine from staining grass

Anyone here use those tablets? They are supposed to help your dogs piss from staining and killing your grass. Dont want my nice grass being killed and stuff from their urine cause the yard is immaculate. Ive seen these tablets and thought about using them on my dogs. 

If not, anyone got any advice on how to keep the grass from looking like sh1t from their piss? Already clean up the dog sh1t when they do it so its mainly the piss im worried about

I doubt it works...  I would just find them at Amazon and read the reviews...  I always like to read the 2-3 star ones to get a rough idea...

The only thing that we have had work, but not often, is that after the dog urinates, poor a couple of big cups of water on it to help dilute...

https://polk.extension.wisc.edu/horticulture/seasonal-concepts/lawns-and-dogs-but-not-tomato-juice/

1 minute ago, posty said:

I doubt it works...  I would just find them at Amazon and read the reviews...  I always like to read the 2-3 star ones to get a rough idea...

The only thing that we have had work, but not often, is that after the dog urinates, poor a couple of big cups of water on it to help dilute...

https://polk.extension.wisc.edu/horticulture/seasonal-concepts/lawns-and-dogs-but-not-tomato-juice/

Yea I had read that one of the things to do is spray the area where they pissed. But doing that every single time is a pain in the ass. Wasn’t sure if anyone here has tried the tablets or not 

I’ve found a solution of water, dish soap, yeast and hydrogen peroxide mixed in a spray bottle will fix this issue.  Mix up the solution, and spray one time on the brown area in your yard.  The grass in that area will be green by the morning.

• Haha 1

Well I bought the to try. Will give an update next week on how they do. Moving in tomorrow so find out soon 

48 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I’ve found a solution of water, dish soap, yeast and hydrogen peroxide mixed in a spray bottle will fix this issue.  Mix up the solution, and spray one time on the brown area in your yard.  The grass in that area will be green by the morning.

26 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Well I bought the to try. Will give an update next week on how they do. Moving in tomorrow so find out soon 

You are welcome.

Nothing works. My grass was immaculate before my daughter brought 3 large dogs in over the last 3 years. It looks like hammered, dead, spotty , thin azz now. Almost ready to flagstone the whole area. :mad:

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

You are welcome.

Sorry didn’t see your response til after I bought them lol. I’ll give that a try too though. I just don’t want to have to spray the area every single time after they pee. Especially my catahoula. Focker likes to piss all over the place to mark his territory. Swear he only empties out 1/2 of his bladder the first time he pisses so he can still have some in the tank to piss somewhere else 

• Like 1

The only real defense is to keep the grass well fertilized and watered daily.  It’s expensive and we still get dead spots.  

22 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The only real defense is to keep the grass well fertilized and watered daily.  It’s expensive and we still get dead spots.  

I think this is the case.  I have 2 labs and no issues with my lawn.  I water nearly every day and it's well fertilized (like the GC wives).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I think this is the case.  I have 2 labs and no issues with my lawn.  I water nearly every day and it's well fertilized (like the GC wives).

Yard size will have ALOT to do with it. My grassy area is only 20x20 and the dogs piss and sh!t on 10x10 of it. No amount of dilution from watering or fertilizer has done sh!t. 

• Like 1

Just now, shorepatrol said:

Yard size will have ALOT to do with it. My grassy area is only 20x20 and the dogs piss and sh!t on 10x10 of it. No amount of dilution from watering or fertilizer has done sh!t. 

Holy shlt. I didn’t really give that consideration.

Some people are teaching their dogs to only pee on crabgrass and broadleaf weeds. 

51 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Some people are teaching their dogs to only pee on crabgrass and broadleaf weeds. 

I’ve considered training our dog to p!ss in the alley.   I should have done it since she was a pup. 

9 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Same.  Have a 100 lb mutt. He pisses everywhere and I don't have dead spots.  Lawn isn't immaculate, at least not the back, but it is definitely a B+.  And I'm pretty much a get off my lawn kinda guy too.

My uncle reports having a lot of luck with cyanide tablets.  Of course this was in relation to his neighbor's dogs.  🤔

We don’t have a fence in our backyard and it leads straight out into the woods. I’m thinking of trying to train my dogs to piss out there instead of on my lawn. My catahoula will probably just piss where the plants are since he’s a typical male and likes to his leg up to piss on something 

14 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Isn’t the problem worse with female dogs?  Or is that a wive’s tale?

I think female dogs piss more on the grass than male dogs. They like to their leg up and piss on things like bushes, trees, fire hydrants, etc. 

Either way, we still don’t have water cut on yet (supposed to be today) so I can’t spray where they piss yet