Sign in to follow this  
crackattack

Oppression by the minority

If Republicans keep winning the white house, while losing the majority vote, how long do you see this as viable?

1. The majority never takes kindly to being ruled that way.

2. Yes I know it's mostly coastal states.

3. But there are large cities and towns in the "red areas" that matter. IE: Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, etc etc.

This seems to me the biggest problem of our republic going forward. Oppression by the minority.

Thoughts?

• Haha 3

For now treat it as somebody else’s problem. Eventually, rural/suburbs and urban areas may need a divorce.

1.  The nation is never perfectly split 50/50.  One side is always the minority.
2.  Parties occasionally change their party platform, which can cause voters to change parties and thus change which side is a minority.
3.  Sometimes a demo will change party affiliation for various reasons.

I think the worst assumption is to think that the current alignment and current trends will play out into the future.

Its possible that the black vote could finally shift from a democrat voting bloc to a swing vote in 10 years.  If that happens, Florida and Virginia go deep red, New York goes purple, and the GOP is reliably winning the popular vote.  You could argue that trends say otherwise, but there's been a recent break in the black voting bloc in polling.  You just never know.  The example I used before was the Irish democrat voting bloc from 1960 that got forever shattered and then turned into a republican voting bloc by 1980.  That came out of nowhere.

31 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

For now treat it as somebody else’s problem. Eventually, rural/suburbs and urban areas may need a divorce.

Look at Ancient Greece and the city/state model. National elections should not be this important. The fargin country was not designed that way. 

2 hours ago, crackattack said:

If Republicans keep winning the white house, while losing the majority vote, how long do you see this as viable?

1. The majority never takes kindly to being ruled that way.

2. Yes I know it's mostly coastal states.

3. But there are large cities and towns in the "red areas" that matter. IE: Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, etc etc.

This seems to me the biggest problem of our republic going forward. Oppression by the minority.

Thoughts?

The Electoral College was partially created to force a presidential candidate to consider the needs of all 50 states not just 4 or 5 states. Without the EC, you could end out with a Hunger Games scenario.
The Federal Government has taken to much power from the states, that is the problem.

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

The Federal Government has taken to much power from the states, that is the problem.

You mean the 4 or 5 

8 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

You mean the 4 or 5 

All the states, States Rights. 1863 started the slippery slope.

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

The Electoral College was partially created to force a presidential candidate to consider the needs of all 50 states not just 4 or 5 states. Without the EC, you could end out with a Hunger Games scenario.

We all know this. My question  was different. But thanks for the reply