Sign in to follow this  
edjr

you know what isn't white priviledge? Voting

Even though I don't vote, it's time to make Election day a holiday. it's only once every 4 years. Why should working people have to go out of their way or spend an hour waiting in line at 6 pm?

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Election Day is every year...

Really? Who did Trump beat last year? 

15 minutes ago, posty said:

Election Day is every year...

🤦‍♂️OMG

22 minutes ago, edjr said:

Even though I don't vote, it's time to make Election day a holiday. it's only once every 4 years. Why should working people have to go out of their way or spend an hour waiting in line at 6 pm?

Most employers will let you off to go vote or take an extended lunch. If not request and absentee ballot. It should never be a holiday because about half the country doesn't vote. The ones that are voting is actually who should be voting. They planned ahead and take it serious. People that don't vote should not be getting a day off to screw off. Nothing is stopping anyone from voting due to work, location and no reason to stand in a long line unless one is a poor planner or just likes lines.  

But would it be a Christmas/Thanksgiving national holiday where most places are closed, or would it be a Columbus Day/President's Day national holiday where everything but the banks and government is open?

I'm going with the later.

15 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Most employers will let you off to go vote or take an extended lunch. If not request and absentee ballot. It should never be a holiday because about half the country doesn't vote. The ones that are voting is actually who should be voting. They planned ahead and take it serious. People that don't vote should not be getting a day off to screw off. Nothing is stopping anyone from voting due to work, location and no reason to stand in a long line unless one is a poor planner or just likes lines.  

In California you get an hour to vote. You can show up an hour late, leave an hour early or take a longer lunch in order to vote. 

Pretty sure it's a law. 

Personally, I'm usually in and out within 20 minutes so I just go after work. 

6 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

But would it be a Christmas/Thanksgiving national holiday where most places are closed, or would it be a Columbus DayIndigenous People's Day/President's Day national holiday where everything but the banks and government is open?

I'm going with the latter.

Fixed...

20 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

In California you get an hour to vote. You can show up an hour late, leave an hour early or take a longer lunch in order to vote. 

Pretty sure it's a law. 

Personally, I'm usually in and out within 20 minutes so I just go after work. 

question....in California are we going to have to use the mail in vote route or are polling places going to be open? 

Missouri you just have to allow an employee enough time off to vote.  They can't dictate if they come in late or leave early

2 hours ago, KayJay1971 said:

question....in California are we going to have to use the mail in vote route or are polling places going to be open? 

I plan on going to my polling place to vote in person. 

But, just in case they try to pull a fast one, I'm filling out the mail in, just in case. 

I may not vote Democrat but I will vote Democrat style. 

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

🤦‍♂️OMG

To clarify as there may be confusion.... facepalm ed, in agreement with posty. What a dumb thing to say.

In NC we have early voting starting in October.  You can also get an absentee ballot if you need it (Covid?). The Polls are open from like 7am to 7pm on Election Day.  

There is literally no excuse.  

Hours long waits, problems with new voting machines and a lack of available ballots plagued voters in majority minority counties in Georgia on Tuesday — conditions the secretary of state called "unacceptable" and vowed to investigate.

...the line snaked around the block and some people had been waiting to cast their votes for 4½ hours.

Voting problems in the state also plagued Fulton County in 2018, which led to allegations of voter suppression by Democrats. The secretary of state at the time was Brian Kemp, a Republican, who wound up winning the governorship by a thin margin against Democrat Stacey Abrams. Abrams at the time called the election "rotten and rigged."

"What we saw was a major difference what was happening in majority White polling sites and majority Black polling sites," Brown said. 

Brown, who voted in a part of Atlanta that is majority Black, said she witnessed this firsthand. After she herself waited three hours to vote, she then went to assist a voter who lived in a majority White area. "There was no line, there was no wait — It was like seamless," she said.

Even if you tried to imagine, you have no idea how long the lines have been in some areas where blacks live, even the wealthier areas. For some strange reason, the machines just didn't work. I had friends in different areas of Atlanta, all black areas though, that had issues. I don't think it's accidental. I had no problem voting, but I don't live in a black neighborhood.

In NJ, voting was so simple. We had the old timey machines, the ones with a curtain and a lever. I think the most I had to wait was 20 minutes. Also, they sent you information before you went to the polls. You were aware of who and what, prior to entering the voting booth. Not in Georgia. They send nothing.

15 hours ago, Voltaire said:

To clarify as there may be confusion.... facepalm ed, in agreement with posty. What a dumb thing to say.

Who did Trump beat last year? I missed it.

WOOOSH!!! 

I don't vote and I certainly don't give a chit about yearly voting. I am only talking about the POTUS election day, the one that matters most. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Even if you tried to imagine, you have no idea how long the lines have been in some areas where blacks live, even the wealthier areas. For some strange reason, the machines just didn't work. I had friends in different areas of Atlanta, all black areas though, that had issues. I don't think it's accidental. I had no problem voting, but I don't live in a black neighborhood.

In NJ, voting was so simple. We had the old timey machines, the ones with a curtain and a lever. I think the most I had to wait was 20 minutes. Also, they sent you information before you went to the polls. You were aware of who and what, prior to entering the voting booth. Not in Georgia. They send nothing.

Id imagine blacks are in charge of these places in Atlanta.  So I doubt it is any sort of racism.  Maybe incompetence?

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Who did Trump beat last year? I missed it.

Nobody. A presidential election is held every four years. But you didn't say make 'Presidential Election Day' a holiday, you said "Make Election Day' a holiday. Granted I don't know about Massachusetts. But at least you get them every two.

In Michigan, we have state every two years and local elections every year. In 2019, there were city, county commissioner, school board, judges, prosecutor, sheriff, ballot initiatives, college board and others I can't think of. We have elections every year and likely you do too.

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Id imagine blacks are in charge of these places in Atlanta.  So I doubt it is any sort of racism.  Maybe incompetence?

Atlanta has had Democrat African American Mayors since the early 90’s.

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Atlanta has had Democrat African American Mayors since the early 90’s.

80s

They got the far better Mayor Young

Andrew Young >>>>> Coleman Young

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

No, that crossed my mind as well, but the machines were literally broken and had to be replaced or a technician had to come out. It's not like they couldn't understand the directions due to stupidity. They were sent faulty NEW machines.

• Haha 1