Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

NFL Ratings Guesses

Hard to find any news on projections. I don't know anyone watching but this is a small sample, about 30 people. I do run into some people on sports forums that believe it will not take a hit at all which I find laughable but ok.

I think down 25% is too low. Bumping it to - 37%.

There are rumors flying about Houston and kc doing some joint equality demonstration.  I think a lot will tune in, but many will tune out if they disagree with the message.

Hopefully way down. The NFL makes 90% of its money from the wallets of middle aged white guys. They have made the decision to pander to criminals and low lifes. I was done after the woke ads they ran during the last super bowl. Hopefully this summer of animal like behavior motivates others to take my path. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Starting to see reports where they go through tortured methods to spin ratings as positive. Read one today where they were boasting about NBA international ratings which were rarely if ever discussed before. They steered away from the US where the teams actually play. I guess I was not suppose to catch this glaring slight of hand omission.     

David Hasslehoff is a big time celebrity in Germany. He can pack a stadium of 100K but here, couldn't fill a bowling alley so...meh. I think there will be massive bags of this spin in the coming weeks of trying to force feed us things are better than ever and we kinda like the kneeling now and it's the new fad. Bigger than break dancing.  

32 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Starting to see reports where they go through tortured methods to spin ratings as positive. Read one today where they were boasting about NBA international ratings which were rarely if ever discussed before. They steered away from the US where the teams actually play. I guess I was not suppose to catch this glaring slight of hand omission.     

David Hasslehoff is a big time celebrity in Germany. He can pack a stadium of 100K but here, couldn't fill a bowling alley so...meh. I think there will be massive bags of this spin in the coming weeks of trying to force feed us things are better than ever and we kinda like the kneeling now and it's the new fad. Bigger than break dancing.  

When the owners see the hit to their bottom line, they will ask Goddell what the he was thinking. 

I think you’ll see an initial bump week one. Sort of like people slowing down to see the car wreck type of interest.  Then a steady decline down to 30% less ratings by week 4.

• Like 1

I say in the end, down 15 or so pct. In television contract numbers, that’s huge. They will spin it like they did with Kaepernick. Amazing how the ratings went back up when the kneeling stopped.  But this time is different. MLB took 4 years after the strike before they started getting back to normal. The NFL is never going to lose money.  But the players might. They surely won’t make as much as they would have. 

Whatever MLB's numbers are down by, that's what I'll use as a measuring stick. I doubt they go so badly as the NBA.

A fly on the wall. You just know they are going to circle back around and get their lost viewership back at some point. RG is not going to concede giving up this for that. Just not happening and not what he does. He is all about expansion.

Can't expand condemning people who honor law enforcement and military. There will have to be something substantial to honor them. A tribute by game 5 to law enforcement and military and telling players off record to not crap in their own bed. They are not immune to paycuts. Once that hits home it's likely back on track.  

Ratings for woke video games, TV shows, films, and sports all follow the same pattern.

1.  The first week of release can set record high ratings / sales.
2.  After week 1, ratings start an eternal descent.  Sometimes its a hard fall.  Other times its slow.
3.  Eventually ratings / sales crater at record lows.

The media always chimes in after week 1 cheering the big numbers and saying woke stuff sells.  Then the media totally ignores the collapse.

• Like 2

One aspect not being covered is antifa attacks on stadium law enforcement. If they really want to ruffle feathers that would be the way. Low level security around the stadium. Just badger and humiliate them. Create a disturbance that will be covered around the globe. The city stuff is ok but the stadiums is where you want to be. Can't have a game when security is compromised. Total mayhem and not enough people in the stadium to contest it.  

I predict most of the highest rated broadcasts of 2020 will be NFL games, just like last year.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

I predict most of the highest rated broadcasts of 2020 will be NFL games, just like last year.

Going off facts. They dropped Kap when ratings tanked. Not a prediction. Just reality. He no longer plays in the NFL. Ratings improved when he was "carted off" so to speak. Reality is very difficult to accept though. Just like Trump winning. Crying and flailing on the ground by Democrats was interesting but she still lost. Worthless gesture but comical I will concede that fact. I laughed my azz off.

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

One aspect not being covered is antifa attacks on stadium law enforcement. If they really want to ruffle feathers that would be the way. Low level security around the stadium. Just badger and humiliate them. Create a disturbance that will be covered around the globe. The city stuff is ok but the stadiums is where you want to be. Can't have a game when security is compromised. Total mayhem and not enough people in the stadium to contest it.  

It'd be great if Seattle's home opener goes the way Disco Demolition Night went in Chicago all those years ago.

I was a Tiger fan listening live on the radio as only half the games were broadcast on TV at the time. I was  young and impressionable and didn't know enough to hate disco at the time. I was happy for the forfeit win, it was only later, once i was older, that I fully appreciated what the White Sox fans had done there that night.

Again, this thread is about lost viewership so steering it back on course.

My prediction is 37% loss. MDC I would like to hear your prediction. If it's a gain let's hear it. It seems like you want to say this but won't for some reason. Assuming you don't want to be shamed. I will not shame you. If you think there will be no loss then I respect it and will appreciate your perspective without ridicule. Throw a number out like I did and live with it.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

It'd be great if Seattle's home opener goes the way Disco Demolition Night went in Chicago all those years ago.

I was a Tiger fan listening live on the radio as only half the games were broadcast on TV at the time. I was  young and impressionable and didn't know enough to hate disco at the time. I was happy for the forfeit win, it was only later, once i was older, that I fully appreciated what the White Sox fans had done there that night.

It was all Steve Dahl man. He did a number that night.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

It was all Steve Dahl man. He did a number that night.

The game was televised in Chicago and the first game of the double header is on YouTube. I watched it fully into the intermission excitement. Tom Brookens first career home run, Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker and Aurelio Lopez were also rookies. Lance Parrish a second year player. So many integral ingredients of the 1984 champion team were just cutting their teeth that year on Disco Demolition Day.

I grew up learning baseball strategy from seeing so much of Sparky Anderson calling the shots. I could watch and learn from one of the best ever. It was quite a fine baseball education until cyber metrics came into practice.

The writing is on the wall. Harris Poll finding on why NBA ratings are down. If the NFL wants to die in the ghetto, that is their decision, but they have been warned. 

Interesting.  Lack of any sports, especially any meaningful college football might drive interest up.  The "message" if too much in your face might drive some away and the lack of fans in the stadium adding that atmosphere...Hmmm.

I am going to say down 20% overall.    Good quality helps tho.  If the Lions can do anything meaningful on the field I will be watching.

5 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Interesting.  Lack of any sports, especially and meaningful college football might drive interest up.  The "message" if too much in your face might drive some away and the lack of fans in the stadium adding that atmosphere...Hmmm.

I am going to say down 20% overall.    Good quality helps tho.  If the Lions can do anything meaningful on the field I will be watching.

This is part of the problem as well. The quality of the game has been slipping for over a decade. Penalty flags fly if a defender farts on a QB or WR. The hip hop sell out is just the cherry on top. 

The more “woke” they go the bigger the consequences will be. How they handle the “Black National Anthem” and the AMERICAN National Anthem could be the biggest factor. I’m confident they’ll go too hard in week 1 and dial it back dramatically in week 2. 

Regardless of any message or any other bullchit we might see. The product itself will be embarrassing. The lack of preseason games, the lack of preparation. It typically takes a few weeks during a normal season for teams to get rolling. 

• Like 1

I think ratings will be sky high for the first week...  With no one in the stands (or very little), people will flock to it because it is football and most football fans are like sheep...

After that, it really depends on the racial injustice talk...

14 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Going off facts. They dropped Kap when ratings tanked. Not a prediction. Just reality. He no longer plays in the NFL. Ratings improved when he was "carted off" so to speak. Reality is very difficult to accept though. Just like Trump winning. Crying and flailing on the ground by Democrats was interesting but she still lost. Worthless gesture but comical I will concede that fact. I laughed my azz off.

I stand by my prediction. 

I was really wanting to watch this year. It's been 2 years since I've watched. The Bucs got rid of Winston and the kneeling had just about dissapeared so I was going to start watching again.

Now I hear they are going to play the black national anthem(whatever that is)and resume kneeling for the Anthem. So basically disrespecting the flag and all my veteran brothers. I'm done with the NFL. I will never watch another game. I will just watch NASCAR and MLS for my sports fix.

I think after the first week ratings will be down at least 25%.

5 minutes ago, iambuttugly said:

I was really wanting to watch this year. It's been 2 years since I've watched. The Bucs got rid of Winston and the kneeling had just about dissapeared so I was going to start watching again.

Now I hear they are going to play the black national anthem(whatever that is)and resume kneeling for the Anthem. So basically disrespecting the flag and all my veteran brothers. I'm done with the NFL. I will never watch another game. I will just watch NASCAR and MLS for my sports fix.

I think after the first week ratings will be down at least 25%.

Love the moniker :lol:   

PGA Tour had an 8 year high in ratings for the BMW Championship. Every other sport is struggling. Tennis US Open is half what it had last year. Sad

Eight-year high for BMW Championship

Last Sunday’s final round of the BMW Championship, the second event of the PGA Tour FedEx Cup, averaged a 2.2 rating and 3.44 million viewers on NBC — marking the highest rated and most-watched final round of the tournament in eight years (2012: 2.5, 3.6M). Ratings increased a tick and viewership 9% from last year (2.1, 3.15M).

Jon Rahm’s win — on a 66-foot playoff putt — delivered the third-best rating and viewership of the PGA Tour season, behind the final round at Pebble Beach in February (2.3, 3.51M) and the final round of the season’s only major thus far, the PGA Championship (3.3, 5.15M).

Third round coverage last Saturday averaged a 1.8 (+6%) and 2.62 million (+9%), marking the tournament’s highest rated third round since 2009 (2.1).

Lead-in coverage on Golf Channel averaged a 0.7 and 1.04 million on Saturday (both -7%) and a 0.6 (+19%) and 934,000 (+22%) on Sunday.

Makes sense. What do guys do turning off virtue signaling sports. They go play golf or watch it. Either that or some home project they are finally getting around to after years of putting it off.

I’ll be watching Tucker at 8 tomorrow. Unthinkable just 6 months ago.  Oh yeah, I’m also going to an eight year olds birthday party Sunday. Also unthinkable 6 months ago.  I’ll hit the bar later on. 

You can cross reference baseball, basketball or any other sport you chose - fact is the NFL is in a class of their own. They truly are the 500 lb. gorilla of sport, tv - media. I'm as anxious to see the ratings as anyone else - who knows what to expect. 

If I had to guess - I'd say the early weeks are off the charts, ratings bonanza for the networks. As the product declines and as we're reminded just how shiit awful the officiating is - numbers will decline..... But overall, I expect the ratings to do ok. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

You can cross reference baseball, basketball or any other sport you chose - fact is the NFL is in a class of their own. They truly are the 500 lb. gorilla of sport, tv - media. I'm as anxious to see the ratings as anyone else - who knows what to expect. 

If I had to guess - I'd say the early weeks are off the charts, ratings bonanza for the networks. As the product declines and as we're reminded just how shiit awful the officiating is - numbers will decline..... But overall, I expect the ratings to do ok. 

So you’re already saying the SJW has no to little affect? 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

So you’re already saying the SJW has no to little affect? 

Oh some - especially in the middle of the season. But like I said, the NFL is in a class of their own. It's easy for middle aged white men to boycott the NBA - big whoop.. Let's see how dug in they are when/if college or pro football kicks off.

Even if the ratings take a dip - they'll still dominate the sports world. The start of the season should be strong, then a mid season dip - then a surge come playoff time....  But we'll see - could be totally off. 

12 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Oh some - especially in the middle of the season. But like I said, the NFL is in a class of their own. It's easy for middle aged white men to boycott the NBA - big whoop.. Let's see how dug in they are when/if college or pro football kicks off.

Even if the ratings take a dip - they'll still dominate the sports world. The start of the season should be strong, then a mid season dip - then a surge come playoff time....  But we'll see - could be totally off. 

It’s not about dominating. Of course they will be number one. But number one by how much? It’s pretty simple , if the ratings go down even 10 pct that is huge. They aren’t in competition with the other sports. They are in competition with themselves.  And if you think it’s just middle aged guys, you’re wrong. Way wrong. Fantasy leagues have plummeted. It’s not about them losing money, that’s not happening. It’s about them not making as much as they did or less then they could have. And that’s all but guaranteed. And by the way, the horrible play and officiating isn’t something new.  It’s been that way for a while and has had no affect. So I wouldn’t use that as an excuse if the ratings drop. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

They want it to be true so bad. 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

They want it to be true so bad. 😂 

Not as bad as you want it to be not true, obviously.  

• Like 1