Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

Raheem Mostert - interesting path to starter

Mostert played for Purdue from 2011–2014, mostly special teams until senior season when he had a career high ... 93 total carries.  Undrafted in 2015.

Sep-2015 signs with Philadelphia Eagles, plays pre-season games, cut/sent to practice squad.

Sep-2015 signs with Miami Dolphins, plays 1 game, cut/sent to practice squad.

Oct-2015 signs with Baltimore Ravens, plays 7 games special teams, cut/sent to practice squad.

Dec-2015 signs with Cleveland Browns, plays 3 games special teams, waived.

Sep-2016 signs with New York Jets practice squad, released.

Sep-2016 signs with Chicago Bears, plays 2 games, released.

Nov-2016 signs with San Fran 49ers, plays 1 game special teams.

2017 plays 11 games special teams. Placed on IR.

2018 plays 9 games as 3/4th back-up RB. Placed on IR.

2019 plays 16 games. Starts as 3rd banana RB, promoted to starter late-season. Scores 1+ TDs in each of the final 6 regular season games.  Scores 5 more TDs in playoffs.

2020 ......   OFFICIAL STARTER

Grew up in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Seems like a classy/humble kid in interviews. Whether you drafted him or not, can't help but root for Mostert!

"[Raheem Mostert] is an absolute fantasy football scoring machine, the second-best RB in the NFL in rushes per touchdown. His 12 rushing touchdowns in his final nine games last season led the NFL during that span and he was second in rushing yards, scoring more fantasy points than even Christian McCaffrey. A big play waiting to happen, he led all RBs (minimum 100 carries) in percentage of rushes that went for five-plus yards and 10-plus yards last season. He ran behind a great offensive line (he was second among RBs in yards per rush before first contact) and he was tough to bring down when you finally got to him (he was top 10 among RBs in yards per rush after first contact). He's the starting running back on one of the best running teams in the NFL, a squad that is top five in the league in both rush percentage and red zone rush percentage, so it's exciting to think about how much he'll get fed since he was fourth best among RBs (minimum 100 carries) in fantasy points per touch. [Raheem Mostert] is sure to be a centerpiece on many fantasy championship teams this season."

--Matthew Berry

"[Raheem Mostert] was third on his own team last season in red zone carries and is more of a career special-teams player than fantasy asset at running back. At best a situational player, he had only three games last season with more than 12 touches, and in 16 games last season he had just six goal-to-go carries (compared to 21 for the other running backs on his team), showing that his team had a lack of faith in him near the goal line. Speaking of those other running backs, our guy is on the wrong side of a committee situation, as there were two other RBs on his team last season who averaged more carries per game and three other running backs on his team who had more receptions. And that's despite the fact that [Raheem Mostert] was the only RB on his team to play all 16 games last season. He was nonexistent in the passing game (just 1.4 targets per game, and he had zero or one catch in 12 of 16 games) and is now 28 years old. His own team wouldn't even commit to him on the field last season, so why should you?"

--Matthew Berry

Once they committed to him, Mostert was money.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

He's the starting running back on one of the best running teams in the NFL --Matthew Berry

Berry appears to have flip-flopped his hate/love for Mostert but regardless, this statement holds true.  I feel the same about Chris Carson. 

I dont know. 

I think this is still a committee.

Regardless of who leads the committee.   he will have occasional big games, but so will Coleman.

They are both low end RB2 players who have significant upside.

14 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Berry appears to have flip-flopped his hate/love for Mostert

Berry was just making the point that you can use statistics to make a player look good or look bad.

25 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I dont know. 

I think this is still a committee.

Regardless of who leads the committee.   he will have occasional big games, but so will Coleman.

They are both low end RB2 players who have significant upside.

I would disagree, Mostert who they gave a new contract to, is the rb1.  He’s worthy of a high rb2. 

I think Coleman is the true rb2, mid Rb3 to high rb4.  

On 9/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, weepaws said:

I would disagree, Mostert who they gave a new contract to, is the rb1.  He’s worthy of a high rb2.

The new contract reportedly upped guaranteed money, but wasn't a big restructure. If Mostert disappoints early, I see RB by committee, followed by Shanahan riding whoever is hot into the stretch - like last year. There's definitely some risk. And judging from his undrafted status and being shipped around to 7 teams, I assume he isn't the most naturally gifted athlete. He earns his the hard way.

However, since being handed the starting role Mostert hasn't disappointed for 9 straight games.  And now his ADP is 5th round .?.  Yes, thank you.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

The new contract reportedly upped guaranteed money, but wasn't a big restructure. If Mostert disappoints early, I see RB by committee, followed by Shanahan riding whoever is hot into the stretch - like last year. There's definitely some risk. And judging from his undrafted status and being shipped around to 7 teams, I assume he isn't the most naturally gifted athlete. He earns his the hard way.

However, since being handed the starting role Mostert hasn't disappointed for 9 straight games.  And now his ADP is 5th round .?.  Yes, thank you.

I think that like many many teams today , the Niners would love to do that. 

I think your wrong about if Mostert starts out disappointing early, then the Niners will use a RBBC. 

I think that’s the plan going into the season, but I simply think , Mostert is the better player, I think Coleman is a good player, but I think he hasn’t been as good since being in the nfl that I thought he would have been. 

Brienda and his 123 rush att is now gone, I see plenty of work for both backs , on a team that loves to run and play def. Mostert wasn’t really given the keys until wk 13, and yet he finished 20th in points and 22 in avg per game . 

But like last season, I think Mostert will gain more control of the rb1 position as the season goes forward. 

So like I said , he’s worthy of a high rb2 ranking. 

How ever the contract worked out, it was good for Mostert, he stayed.  

Im always wrong, heck I don’t even watch the games, nor the highlights, so don’t listen to me, so when I’m wrong please let me know. 

Thanks  

one thing about Shanahan, hes not afraid to bench someone if they do not perform.

the new contract wasnt for huge money so I dont think that will influence his decision on who to play.  He will truly play the hot hand until someone shows they can remain hot.  then he may name that player the starter at some point.

until that happens, I think this job is still wide open.  But Mostert does have a foot in the door.  so he has a small advantage.

Mostert Coleman and McKinnon are either north of 25 and/or have some injury history. McKinnon’s health the biggest X factor. One of them should step forward the second half of the season. Who it will be is a crapshoot but McKinnon has the edge on the pass catching side. 

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It was for Fournette...

Amazing how many threads there will be to refer back to at the end of the season to point out how mistaken you are about Fournette.  He will make league champions this year.

And McKinnon will be the SF RB to own by mid season...if there is a season.  Right Elf?  Please take that bait!

Edited:  please use big words when you reply to this.  We want you to show us how smart you think you are.

30 minutes ago, JagFan said:

Amazing how many threads there will be to refer back to at the end of the season to point out how mistaken you are about Fournette.  He will make league champions this year.

And McKinnon will be the SF RB to own by mid season...if there is a season.  Right Elf?  Please take that bait!

Edited:  please use big words when you reply to this.  We want you to show us how smart you think you are.

Can't.  Some people here suffer from hippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Raheem Mostert hit a max speed of 22.73 MPH on his touchdown reception, per NFL Next Gen Stats. That's the fastest a ballcarrier has run since Tyreek Hill in 2016.

Seth Walder, ESPN Analytics2h ago

He’s a stud monster. 

Meh, averaged 3.7 yards a carry, had one big play and that’s it. Can’t count on that all the time. If someone will pay up I’d sell...

I’d buy. 

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I’d buy. 

Obviously, your professed love for RBs who average less than 4 yards a carry, like Fournette, is fully documented...

8 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Meh, averaged 3.7 yards a carry, had one big play and that’s it. Can’t count on that all the time. If someone will pay up I’d sell...

After 1 game?  Good grief 

8 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

After 1 game?  Good grief 

If someone would pay up, absolutely. I didn't say give him away or sell low...

37 minutes ago, jrokh said:

He can average 1.5 yards per carry as long as he keeps averaging 25 yards per reception...

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Obviously, your professed love for RBs who average less than 4 yards a carry, like Fournette, is fully documented...

Thank you.  And your hatred towards any everyone is also documented. 

37 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Thank you.  And your hatred towards any everyone is also documented. 

I have nothing but love for everyone even poor saps such as yourself...

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

I have nothing but love for everyone even poor saps such as yourself...

There is that temper again, you need help dude. 

Good luck. 

11 hours ago, jrokh said:

he's had 10 consecutive big games in a row.  Has averaged over 5.6 yards rushing in the 10.   

you're right one on one thing though, he won't have many more 3.7 yards per carry days moving forward

RB1

1 hour ago, Canadianfan said:

he's had 10 consecutive big games in a row.  Has averaged over 5.6 yards rushing in the 10.   

you're right one on one thing though, he won't have many more 3.7 yards per carry days moving forward

RB1

You might be correct, just to reiterate, I am not saying he isn’t good, or a fantasy asset. I am saying if other people in your league also think that, and are willing to part with an even better fantasy player based off the one big play he had, I would strongly consider that. That is all I said,

50 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You might be correct, just to reiterate, I am not saying he isn’t good, or a fantasy asset. I am saying if other people in your league also think that, and are willing to part with an even better fantasy player based off the one big play he had, I would strongly consider that. That is all I said,

It’s really hard to believe with the nfl games you clam to watch , that you don’t notice when a rb as talent. 

One play lol,, that’s bs chat.  

It’s really hard to believe with the nfl games you clam to watch , that you don’t notice when a rb as talent. 

One play lol,, that’s bs chat.  

Sigh. Since you don’t watch the games let’s stick with what your comfortable with, looking at box scores. If I told you that RBX rushed for 56 scoreless yards on 15 carries for a 3.7 ypc, with an additional 19 scoreless yards on 3 receptions for a grand total of 9 fantasy points in half Ppr, and 7.5 in your league, would you consider that a good game? Because that is what Mostert did other than the one big play. So yes one big play and not much else. HTH...

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Sigh. Since you don’t watch the games let’s stick with what your comfortable with, looking at box scores. If I told you that RBX rushed for 56 scoreless yards on 15 carries for a 3.7 ypc, with an additional 19 scoreless yards on 3 receptions for a grand total of 9 fantasy points in half Ppr, and 7.5 in your league, would you consider that a good game? Because that is what Mostert did other than the one big play. So yes one big play and not much else. HTH...

And all that nfl game watching doesn’t help you much, you still don’t see a good rb. 

Thanks. Mm. 

Lol game watching.  

And all that nfl game watching doesn’t help you much, you still don’t see a good rb. 

Thanks. Mm. 

Lol game watching.  

I think Mostert is plenty good ,I’d welcome on my team. If you can point to where I said he wasn’t good I will stand corrected. Since we both know you can’t, since I never posted that, you can keep spreading your ‘Christian Values’ in this forearm. Thanks for the response, always such a pleasure m....

12 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I see, so in your league you minus points when a player makes a big play, I see.  

Gotcha. 

14 hours ago, jrokh said:

What did you mean when you typed this? 

Sounds like your saying ? 

And all I said is that I’m buying. 

So what’s the problem? 

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I think Mostert is plenty good ,I’d welcome on my team. If you can point to where I said he wasn’t good I will stand corrected. Since we both know you can’t, since I never posted that, you can keep spreading your ‘Christian Values’ in this forearm. Thanks for the response, always such a pleasure m....

How did you come up with your own personal rankings this past offseason, when there wasn’t any preseason games? 

Mmm 

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

How did you come up with your own personal rankings this past offseason, when there wasn’t any preseason games? 

Mmm 

I prayed to baby jeebus for fantasy insight and he came to me in a dream, with a color-coded and laminated player rankings...

4 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I prayed to baby jeebus for fantasy insight and he came to me in a dream, with a color-coded and laminated player rankings...

That’s what I thought, no answer. 

Clown.