Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

possible surprise at TE

Look guys, 

one possible surprise at TE is OJ Howard.

Gronk may be the TE1 but OJ is no slouch.   if they run the 2 TE offense like they did in New England with Gronk and Hernandez it is very possible that OJ puts up huge numbers.  

Gronks presence means they likely cannot use a LB to cover him.  it likely needs to be a corner or a safety.

This opens things up for OJ who may get substantially weaker coverage than he is used to seeing.

in fact, with Brate there, it is even possible to run some 3 TE sets.  

I think there is a very real possiblity that with Mentorship from Gronk, this kid (OJ) could be something special.

I"m betting he puts up low end TE1 numbers and right now hes going undrafted in a lot of leagues.

This may seem like a wild prediction, but Its not that wild when you think about it.   Brady is the perfect QB given the situation here and I would not be surprised if both Gronk and OJ put up solid numbers in this offense.

so if you are in a draft and miss the boat on all the top TE's this is a player I'd consider drafting in one of the last 2 or 3 rounds.  Preferably as a backup to a TE who has high upside and high risk.

I’ve got two shares of OJ, just a feeling Gronk may not see as many snaps as people think he will at the beginning of the season. Grabbed him off waiver pile

I think Howard will out score in ff the other two Tes, but I’m not sure he’ll even be a top 12 te.  

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Ya know, Brady din't bring the Patriots' offense with him...

maybe not.  but I wouldnt be surprised if he asked to have significant input in the design of the offense.

if this is the case, it is possible he did bring elements of that offense with him.

I am by no means saying this is a lock.    but I'd say the odds are about 50-50 that this guy puts up TE1 numbers.

and if Gronk is used a lot less than expected and he leads the team in TE snaps,  there is the chance he puts up top 5 numbers.   While the odds of this are low (less than a 10% chance) , I'd say they are not zero either.

15 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

and if Gronk is used a lot less than expected and he leads the team in TE snaps,  there is the chance he puts up top 5 numbers.   While the odds of this are low (less than a 10% chance) , I'd say they are not zero either.

The odds of OJ Howard finishing as a top 5 TE in Bruce Arians' offense may not be zero, but they are approximately equal to my chances of bedding Jennifer Love Hewitt.

• Like 1

34 rec, 459 yds, 1 TD in 14 games... with a QB who threw over 5,000 yds and no Gronk.

Brady is likely to throw 4,000 yds and then there's Gronk.

OJ Howard a top 5 TE? Ain't seeing it.  :dunno:

Where are people at with Jack Doyle? He has the position to himself this year and a QB who historically throws to the TE position.

1 hour ago, dog19 said:

Where are people at with Jack Doyle? He has the position to himself this year and a QB who historically throws to the TE position.

I think he's a fine streamer, but Burton should be back which will probably limit his season long upside. 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:44 PM, AxeElf said:

The odds of OJ Howard finishing as a top 5 TE in Bruce Arians' offense may not be zero, but they are approximately equal to my chances of bedding Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Of all the famous, hot women in the world, you choose jennifer love-hewitt? What is it 1995?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Of all the famous, hot women in the world, you choose jennifer love-hewitt? What is it 1995?

If there are 11 chicks in a bar, she might be in the top 10. 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, AxeElf said:

Wait, is that a good thing? At what age? I’m mind blown.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

No, but that was when I last got hard.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 5:10 PM, GobbleDog said:

34 rec, 459 yds, 1 TD in 14 games... with a QB who threw over 5,000 yds and no Gronk.

Preach! Those assho1es picking up his option and then refusing to trade him is a huge waste of talent.

One problem with OJ is he seems like he's lost or running the wrong route half the time.  That's partially why he's always in Arians' dog house.  That and Arians hates TEs.  

Do you think a player that has a propensity for making mistakes will help or hurt his chances of seeing targets from Tom Brady?

4 hours ago, dog19 said:

I think he could have a real good season, Rivers does like his te.  

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think he could have a real good season, Rivers does like his te.  

I like Rivers’s tight... end.

Mmmmm.

1 hour ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

I like Rivers’s tight... end.

Mmmmm.

Guess that’s why you have a ex. 

Mmm.  

I have some shares of OJ howard but only because I still think there’s potential there. Maybe he can learn something from Gronk and also the fact Gronk is always hurt and he’s been out for a year. Sure Gronk says he feels great but there’s no guarantee his body will hold up.

To much targets in the passing game, so even if one owners share of Howard , when would you start him, I mean how many te does one have on a ff team, you only need one.  

On 9/9/2020 at 8:10 PM, GobbleDog said:

17 hours ago, nobody said:

Preach! Those assho1es picking up his option and then refusing to trade him is a huge waste of talent.

Howard's production, or lack there of, is a more of a representation of Winston than it is of Howard.  Winston's biggest problem is that he's a tragically awful decision maker.  If you watch their games, you'd see game after game where Winston had a chance to hit Howard on a 7-yard route, but chose to hold the ball longer in order throw the ball further down field.  On top of that, the OLine needed help.  Howard stayed in and blocked a lot last year, so his opportunities were limited on that front as well.  Howard should have come close to doubling the numbers he put up last year had Winston been a better QB.

Howard also has a "Howard" problem.  Talent isn't the issue, but his head was.  He needed to get his head on straight.  There's a lot going around (but no specifics), that Howard had issues that he was dealing with both on and off the field.   Apparently the off-the-field issues have been addressed and they're hoping that Gronk being in the building will get the on-field issues squared away.

This year, I don't see Howard putting up top 5 numbers simply because I don't think he'll score many TD's.  When they get into the red zone, the top 4 targets will likely be (in no particular order), Evans, Godwin, Gronk, and Brate, so from a passing perspective, Howard will be the 5th option at best.  If you're in a keeper or dynasty league, then I'd invest a late pick in him for next year when the Bucs are going for a repeat championship.

Doyle has a TE friendly QB in a TE friendly system. Add big rookie WR who has a lot to learn and a talented WR albeit one getting up there in WR years. Doyle has Mid level TE1 upside. 

Trey Burton cannot stay healthy.