Sign in to follow this  
‘Doogie Howser’ female-led reboot ‘Doogie Kameāloha, M.D.’ picked up to series by Disney+...

No shock here...

https://deadline.com/2020/09/doogie-kamealoha-md-doogie-howser-female-led-reboot-picked-up-series-disney-plus-1234574289/

Disney+ has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to comedy Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. (working title), a re-imagining of the popular 1989 ABC series Doogie Howser, M.D.. The project (fka Doogie Kealoha, M.D.), which reboots the Neil Patrick Harris-starring half-hour medical dramedy with a female lead, comes from How I Met Your Mother and Fresh Off the Boat alumna Kourtney Kang and 20th Television, a part of Disney Television Studios.

Written by Kang and set in modern-day Hawaii, Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. follows Lahela “Doogie” Kameāloha, a mixed race 16-year-old girl, juggling a budding medical career and life as a teenager. Guiding Lahela (and also complicating things) is her family, including her spit-fire Irish mother who’s also her supervisor at the hospital, and her Hawaiian “Local Boy” father struggling to accept that his daughter is no longer his little girl.

The lead character’s ethnicity reflects Hawaii-born Kang’s own background — she previously tapped into her experiences growing up in a mixed-race family in a comedy pilot for NBC. Doogie Kameāloha, M.D., which had been in development for Disney+ since early 2020, is slated to go into production later this year for a 2021 premiere on the streamer. I hear casting is underway for the lead and the other major roles, with an intention to shoot the show in Hawaii.

“Thirty years ago, a young medical prodigy took the world by storm and left a lasting impact on pop culture,” said Ricky Strauss, president, Content and Marketing, Disney+. “Kourtney and the team at 20th Television have created a very modern take on this beloved property which will resonate with our global Disney+ audience. We can’t wait to introduce the world to the new Doogie!”

The original series, which starred Harris as a teenage physician balancing the challenge of practicing medicine with the everyday problems of teenage life, was created by two of TV’s top showrunners of the past three decades, the late Steven Bochco and David E. Kelley, and produced by Steven Bochco Prods. and 20th Television predecessor 20th Century Fox TV.

Bochco’s widow, Dayna Bochco, and son, Jesse Bochco, serve as producers the reboot, executive produced by Kang, Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar. 20th Television, where Kang, Kasdan and his producing partner Mar are overall deals, is the studio.

“Doogie, Howser MD is beloved by everyone at our studio, so we knew that if we were going to reinvent it for a new generation, we had to have both the blessing and participation of the Bochcos and a creator with a fresh, new take that made us lean in,” said Carolyn Cassidy, president, 20th Television. “Kourtney’s vision for the character is so inspired, we’ve been dying to collaborate with Melvin and Jake again, and Disney+ is exactly the right home for this idea. We couldn’t be more excited.”

Running for four seasons on ABC from 1989 to 1993, Doogie Howser, M.D. catapulted Harris into television stardom and made the term “Doogie Howser” synonymous with kid geniuses.

Kang served as co-executive producer on ABC/20th TV’s Fresh Off the Boat, which Kasdan and Mar executive produced. Prior to that Kang was one of the key writer-producers on CBS/20th TV’ How I Met Your Mother, which also starred harris. She was on the popular ensemble comedy for its entire nine-season run, rising from a staff writer to executive producer. Under her overall deal, Kang also has drama The Golden Child in development at ABC.

The green light for Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. comes as Disney TV Studios’ The Mighty Ducks series reboot for Disney+ resumed production, with the studio group’s Turner & Hooch series for the streamer about to start filming.

If she is hot, why not....

She'll be gay this time right out the gate. No waiting another 10 years for the reveal. Probably hit on her straight female friend entering her bedroom window. Hijinks ensue.   

8 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

She'll be gay this time right out the gate. No waiting another 10 years for the reveal. Probably hit on her straight female friend entering her bedroom window. Hijinks ensue.   

As long as the friend is hot too, I'm ok with it.

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

She'll be gay this time right out the gate. No waiting another 10 years for the reveal. Probably hit on her straight female friend entering her bedroom window. HijinksScissoring ensues.   

Updated for accuracy.

What was the name of Doogie's friend?  Wasn't it something like "Boner"?  I might be confusing it with another show from back then.

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

go on...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonS said:

What was the name of Doogie's friend?  Wasn't it something like "Boner"?  I might be confusing it with another show from back then.

Boner was Kirk Cameron's friend on Growing Pains..I believe

1 minute ago, Herbivore said:

Ah!  I think you're right. 

7 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Pretty much from the same stock character from the book of TV/Movie Tropes.

5 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Gay is old stuff these days.  She will probably be used to promote pedophilia.  The actress is 16 but might play younger.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, riversco said:

Gay is old stuff these days.  She will probably be used to promote pedophilia.  The actress is 16 but might play younger.

Needs a hot 30 year old nurse to show her the way to modern Hollywood relevence.

53 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Needs a hot 30 year old nurse to show her the way to modern Hollywood relevence.

Nurse needs to be no more than 26 in order to keep it legal in CA. 

Seems the popular thing to do today is take a show that had a white lead character and reboot it with a minority or female as the lead. Totally lazy. Totally unoriginal. And the reboot never does well. But people still praise it as being “woke” 

Lead role has been cast...

https://tvline.com/2021/01/14/doogie-howser-reboot-peyton-elizabeth-lee-cast-disney-plus/

Disney Channel vet Peyton Elizabeth Lee will headline Doogie Kameāloha, M.D., a female-led reimagining of the classic ABC medical dramedy, the streamer announced Thursday.

Set in modern-day Hawaii, the 10-episode comedy follows Lahela “Doogie” Kameāloha, “a mixed race 16-year-old girl, juggling a budding medical career and life as a teenager,” according to the official logline. “Guiding Lahela (and also complicating things) is her family, including her spit-fire Irish mother who’s also her supervisor at the hospital, and her ‘Local Boy’ father struggling to accept that his daughter is no longer his little girl.”

The original Doogie Howser, which made a household name out of Neil Patrick Harris, aired on ABC from 1989 to 1993. The reboot hails from sitcom vet Kourtney Kang, who worked with Harris on the long-running CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother before moving on to ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat. Dayna and Jesse Bochco — the wife and son of the late Steven Bochco, who co-created Doogie Howser — are among the reboot’s executive producers.

Lee is best known to TV viewers of a certain age for her starring role in Disney Channel’s Andi Mack, which ran for three seasons between 2017 and 2019. She most recently appeared as Princess Samantha in the Disney+ original movie Secret Society of Second-Born Royals.

Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. is among several reboots that Disney+ has in the works, along with Turner & Hooch (starring Josh Peck) and a Mighty Ducks sequel series (led by Lauren Graham and original trilogy star Emilio Estevez).

I have an almost 6 year old daughter that may be interested in this show. I wonder what the target age group they are creating the show for.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, Djgb13 said:

Seems the popular thing to do today is take a show that had a white lead character and reboot it with a minority or female as the lead. Totally lazy. Totally unoriginal. And the reboot never does well. But people still praise it as being “woke” 

Ever notice when they reboot a show if a character in the show has redhead they make them a black person in the reboot?

Don't care, I'm not the target audience. 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:21 PM, Djgb13 said:

I have a young son and young daughter, disney plus kids section is 80% targeted towards girls 20% towards boys. From a business perspective it makes sense for them to change Doogie to a girl.

Netflix seems pretty evenly targeted towards boys/girls and Amazon prime seems more targeted towards boys.

9 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Ever notice when they reboot a show if a character in the show has redhead they make them a black person in the reboot?

Also comics to screen. Very noticeable in the CW Arrowverse shows.

I rarely watch TV, all the shows compete for "wokeness" which is just tiring really, now sports is making it impossible to watch that, cant watch the news as it just comes across as propaganda.....sigh

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

I rarely watch TV, all the shows compete for "wokeness" which is just tiring really, now sports is making it impossible to watch that, cant watch the news as it just comes across as propaganda.....sigh

Pretty much how I see it.

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Been watching stuff on Netflix like Rise of Empires- Ottomans. And Mobsters on one of those channels I always skip past.  

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I won't be watching.  Not really a big fan of the original... not at all interested in their agenda.

I would guess it is targeted towards girls 6-17. I would be more surprised if someone here did watch it.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would guess it is targeted towards girls 6-17. I would be more surprised if someone here did watch it.

Makes sense.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, Djgb13 said:

Don't forget to cast every while male character as a bumbling buffoon.  That's important as well.

The fact that it's on Disney+ tells you all that you need to know about the expected quality of the show.  Disney generally runs shows 3 years, maybe 4, max.  Their objective is to hit a specific audience group and once that audience group gets too old, they move on.  Even the original show only lasted 4 years.  It's because the dynamic of the show has a finite storyline.  Also, Disney is less concerned about ratings.  They run shows as long as it doesn't hemorrhage money.  Even Disney knows it won't draw an audience or a following, they're just trying to indoctrinate as many people as they can to their wokeness.  It's on Disney+... not even Disney.  If they knew it would work, it would be on ABC.