crackills

Melvin Gordon... usage ideas?

Whats everyone thinking on Gordon.. i know its projected to be a 50/50 split.. but im thinking w Grodonbeing the more talented rb.. he will get more looks and goal line. Is he in flex conversation or more of wait and see?

I’m not so sure Gordon is the more talented rb.  

I think this is a true rb1a and rb1b.  

I think he is a great rb2/flex this week, Sutton will probably sit, and I think they will lean on the backfield to get a few more touches.

43 minutes ago, rallo said:

I think he is a great rb2/flex this week, Sutton will probably sit, and I think they will lean on the backfield to get a few more touches.

Without Sutton, I think Lindsay could be the better play.  

56 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Without Sutton, I think Lindsay could be the better play.  

Maybe, although Gordon, while not known as a pass catching back has historically been more involved in his team's passing game. Lindsay has never caught 40 passes in a season while Gordon had eclipsed that in each of his last 4 seasons, I know, different offensive schemes etc... but I think it is potentially a misnomer that people think Lindsay will suddenly be more involved in the passing game. I'm curious to see what plays out this week.

45 minutes ago, rallo said:

Maybe, although Gordon, while not known as a pass catching back has historically been more involved in his team's passing game. Lindsay has never caught 40 passes in a season while Gordon had eclipsed that in each of his last 4 seasons, I know, different offensive schemes etc... but I think it is potentially a misnomer that people think Lindsay will suddenly be more involved in the passing game. I'm curious to see what plays out this week.

That’s very true, Gordon was used a lot more on the passing game then most think. 

I think Lindsay didn’t get a lot of attention on the passing game before Gordon , was to save him from more wear.  

I think now he’s in a great position to be a lot more involved in the passing game. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

I’m not so sure Gordon is the more talented rb.  

I think this is a true rb1a and rb1b.  

That's just what I was thinking, not sure he's the better RB. Especially if you factor in durability concerns.

Sure he's the bigger name on the bigger contract, bigger hype, but Lindsay has been more consistent

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

That’s very true, Gordon was used a lot more on the passing game then most think. 

I think Lindsay didn’t get a lot of attention on the passing game before Gordon , was to save him from more wear.  

I think now he’s in a great position to be a lot more involved in the passing game. 

well, the question for me is.... was that by design?

how many of those passes were designed throws to Gordon, and how many were Phil Rivers checkdown throws.

his new QB is No Rivers.  while he may have the talent, he does not look like he will checkdown with regularity like Rivers did.   Maybe i'm wrong.

i have found that one thing young QBs in their first season or two (or three) tend to not be so great at checking down the ball.  So many of those checkdowns by design wont be going to Gordon like before.

He will catch some passes.  I have no doubt about that.  I just wouldnt expect the same volume he got in SD (or LA).

his production with the Chargers should be considered the best case scenario for his numbers (or his maximum upside) and he achieves that only if EVERYTHING goes right for him this year.

The fact hes got Lindsay cutting into his playing time means I dont see him as anything more than a low end RB2 or high end RB3. I just dont think there will be enough touches to go around.

From what I've seen locally, they will pound Gordon as long as the game is close. When they get down by 7+ points, expect Gordon on first down, then Lindsey on 2nd & 3rd. From what I've seen so far he picks up blitzes a little better than Gordon, imo

6 hours ago, RabidSeaCows said:

From what I've seen locally, they will pound Gordon as long as the game is close. When they get down by 7+ points, expect Gordon on first down, then Lindsey on 2nd & 3rd. From what I've seen so far he picks up blitzes a little better than Gordon, imo

I think that’s going to be the case.