Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

If there is a war soon, do you think you or family members / relatives will get drafted?

53 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Even if there was a draft, I’d get put back in my old job as a medic since I’m prior service. 

You’re well past your eight year window aren’t you? Are they more likely to snag someone free and clear beyond their  IRR date than an 18 y/o? That would really suck. This was on my mind in 2002, my eight years had been done totally since 1997 but, obviously, neither was ever drafted.

24 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

You’re well past your eight year window aren’t you? Are they more likely to snag someone free and clear beyond their  IRR date than an 18 y/o? That would really suck. This was on my mind in 2002, my eight years had been done totally since 1997 but, obviously, neither was ever drafted.

This is if the draft comes back. Since it won’t then I won’t be coming back. But if we did happen to have people that need to be recalled I would be one of the first since I’m in my early 30s and was an NCO. But yea I am past my window. Cause it’s 2 years after you separated they can recall you for anything. 

14 hours ago, riversco said:

I like to make projections and predictions.  Its what draws me to fantasy football.  Unfortunately, when I use it to look at our politics, I see war dead ahead.  And I think its extremely healthy to be worried about a looming war.  We should try to stop it if at all possible but our society seems to be rushing forward to embrace it and make it happen.

I enjoy your analysis. Keep up the good work. 

Machines will fight the next war for us. We just need to make sure they don't turn on us and decide all humans are a threat. ;)

15 hours ago, fandandy said:

No, I agree that they exist but my point was what's worse, spending a bit of time on jail or going off to fight some pointless war that we were led into based on bullshit and lies from an incompetent government?  Would you rather be dead or missing an arm or piss your pants and hide under the couch whenever a balloon is popped or have spent some time in jail?

Yeah, wwii id have gone. Wouldn't even have to draft me, I'd have volunteered.

Vietnam? Fock that. That war was pointless, immoral, and stupid. I'd have had a tough call on whether to take jail or Nam.

We already have a soft draft. The poor. When the numbers get low they offer signing bonuses and another bonus if they stay in. Hard for someone poor to turn down that kind of money. They also get recruiting bonuses for anyone they convince to sign up. Much easier than having a draft.

13 hours ago, fandandy said:

That will never be how it used though.  Our government and military will meddle, most likely in the South China Sea or in defense of a country such as Taiwan and things will get out of hand.  I could see a draft in a situation like that.  God forbid but you'd be considered an absolute pile of excrement if you are unwilling to send your children off to die in defense of people halfway around the world, cuz you know, 'Merica!!!

The last two drafts were under Democratic Administrations. Donald Trump is the first President in 40 years not to invade a foreign county