Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Video gaming system experts

My 12 yr old son mentioned wanting a new gaming system.  Weve never been big gamers.  The latest one that we have is a Wii and I havent played video games in 20 years.  So whats the big system now?  He mentioned a PS 4, but I see they were released in 2016.  Is that a little dated for a gaming system?  Are games proprietary to certain systems, or do they still make games like Madden that are available on multiple platforms?  Or do most people just download games nowadays?

Edit:  I know this isnt the best place to ask given how many "get of my lawn" curmudgeons post here. 

The new ps5 and Xbox come out this year. I believe the high end models are around $500 and lower end is $350. The higher end model for the Xbox will have a graphics card 3x more powerful than the lower end. Besides that they aren't too far apart.

There is not much difference between playstation and Xbox. Ask him which system his friends have and buy a matching system.

You might want to wait for the new systems this Christmas; ps4 and xbox one are both at the very end of their cycles.

If you do decide you want a ps4, then I can sell you my used ps4 pro at a better price than you can find elsewhere. I will be upgrading to the ps5 when it comes out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

There is not much difference between playstation and Xbox. Ask him which system his friends have and buy a matching system.

You might want to wait for the new systems this Christmas; ps4 and xbox one are both at the very end of their cycles.

If you do decide you want a ps4, then I can sell you my used ps4 pro at a better price than you can find elsewhere. I will be upgrading to the ps5 when it comes out.

This. Dude is spot on. Find out what his buddies have and either buy used now or better yet wait for the new one coming out shortly. Absolutely do not buy him a new unit at this point as their values will be going down once next gens are released. 

• Thanks 1

We here at FFT, are all experts on everything. Especially politicking 

Get a ps5 if he likes sports and better game library 

Xbox sucks...

Seriously tho...what do his friends have??  Cross platform is coming to some games online so xbox can play against ps5.

The nintendo switch console is portable and a pretty decent system but a different type of game library..overall less violent themes in their library.

The ps5 and xbox will turn your tv into an entertainment system with apps like a smart tv also. 

Good luck

Xbox sucks..

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Get a ps5 if he likes sports and better game library 

Xbox sucks...

Seriously tho...what do his friends have??  Cross platform is coming to some games online so xbox can play against ps5.

The nintendo switch console is portable and a pretty decent system but a different type of game library..overall less violent themes in their library.

The ps5 and xbox will turn your tv into an entertainment system with apps like a smart tv also. 

Good luck

Xbox sucks..

Noting wrong with either system.  Controller on Xbox is way better then POS5 I mean PS5

I have a switch lite. I bring it to the office when I have to be there, and like to play on flights. I rarely play at home.

The switch is great because you can play on TV like a normal console, or portable.

Agree with above, don't buy a Ps4 new. Either buy used, or wait till the Ps5 in December.

1 hour ago, Boots11234 said:

Noting wrong with either system.  Controller on Xbox is way better then POS5 I mean PS5

PS5 is getting a redesign of the controller and will also include haptic feedback.  Will be interesting to see how games take advantage of that feature. 

Just now, DonS said:

PS5 is getting a redesign of the controller and will also include haptic feedback.  Will be interesting to see how games take advantage of that feature. 

Alot of controllers have a vibration feature...most turn it off as it is a battery killer.

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Alot of controllers have a vibration feature...most turn it off as it is a battery killer.

It's supposed to be more than standard vibration.  Triggers will also provide feedback by changing the amount of resistance.  One example I read about was triggers locking up to simulate a gun jamming. 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

It's supposed to be more than standard vibration.  Triggers will also provide feedback by changing the amount of resistance.  One example I read about was triggers locking up to simulate a gun jamming. 

That would be cool..I havent researched much tbh

45 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

If it was called the Amazon Xbox, people would love it. Unfortunately is it microsoft. That being said I am a PS guy

46 minutes ago, edjr said:

If it was called the Amazon Xbox, people would love it. Unfortunately is it microsoft. That being said I am a PS guy

I have had both..I just prefer PS.  Most of my friends have PS.  I dont have issue with microsoft at all.  

Like the other guys are saying, it would be best to wait til the new consoles come out. Should be next month or the month after. With the new systems, cross platform play is possible so whichever one he likes best is the one you should get. Personally, I’d rather have the PS5 but will be getting it and the new Xbox. Already got the Nintendo switch which is great 

16 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

PC > every console ever made 

For some aspects...consoles have caught up...and less driver issues

Just now, Cloaca du jour said:

For some aspects...consoles have caught up...and less driver issues

Steam > Xbox/PS network

Mouse & keyboard > controller 

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Steam > Xbox/PS network

Mouse & keyboard > controller 

Hence some aspects...

Computer gaming > Ps5/xbox

That being said find out what his buddies have and get that. If they don't have anything or haven't decided I suggest the PS5 over the Xbox.

10 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Can buy a PS an Xbox and. Switch for the cost if a mediocre gaming pc

I mean it's called the PC Master Race for a reason 

You can get a 1070ti/i5 build for $500ish

Don't buy a PS4 now. Wait until the PS5 comes out. Not sure how old your TV is but that could be something to upgrade as well if it's in the budget. I could make a difference and maybe you might want to get into some of the games. There are some pretty cool ones but depending on your lifestyle, that may be a fit or not at all.

I own an xbox as well. I've gotten into it a little bit but have been too busy to play games much so when I do play, I pull up a PS4 game I have already played and replay parts of them that I really like for a short while. 

Good luck with it. Careful of the addiction kids can get into with gaming. If your kid plays a sport or something to keep active then that's awesome. 

14 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Ps4 and xbox one are both at the very end of their cycles.

Which, at some point, will Playstation and Microsoft start finding ways to degrade theme, to force people to buy new (sort of like cell companies and phones).

If you are just now buying a console then PS4 would probably work just fine for you.  You'll be able to get it for cheap(er) once PS5 comes out.  Recent games on PS4 are AMAZING (God of War, Last Of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc) so I wouldn't worry about having to buy the latest/greatest console. 

Looks like I'll pull the trigger on a PS4 soon.  Best buy has the 1TB  for 299.  What else will I need besides additional controller?

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Looks like I'll pull the trigger on a PS4 soon.  Best buy has the 1TB  for 299.  What else will I need besides additional controller?

That should do it.  The controllers charge via USB so just keep them plugged in while you're not playing and you should be good to go.

I'm too lazy to scroll up and actually read.  What kind of games are you planning on getting? 

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

You will need a headset if he will online game, ps4 does not support bluetooth.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DonS said:

I'm too lazy to scroll up and actually read.  What kind of games are you planning on getting? 

Good question.  For sure GTA5 and Call of Duty.  I'm looking for a good hunt/fish simulator and baseball.  Also, is there crossover like the Wii where old games work on new consoles?

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Good question.  For sure GTA5 and Call of Duty.  I'm looking for a good hunt/fish simulator and baseball.  Also, is there crossover like the Wii where old games work on new consoles?

Aside from PS4 titles which just came out there are plenty of slightly older games that you can get for fairly cheap that are still awesome.  Just recently Ive been getting games as they first come out (Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Assassin's Creed Valhalla), but normally I would get huge hit games that are 1 or 2 years old for half the price.

I would suggest getting Last of Us Remastered. This is a PS4 remaster of the original PS3 title. G0ddamn is it good. 

Someone starts this thread at least once a year. Every time we see the following responses  

Playstation sux

Xbox sux

Consoles sux, go PC

Get whatever his friends have 

Anybody know if you can install a VPN on the ps5? I couldn't use Netflix or anything on it here without it.

Also, my TV is a pos that came with my apartment. I don't want to buy a good one, as I don't want to move it one day. Seems like not much point in having a ps5 without a 4k TV...

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Anybody know if you can install a VPN on the ps5? I couldn't use Netflix or anything on it here without it.

Also, my TV is a pos that came with my apartment. I don't want to buy a good one, as I don't want to move it one day. Seems like not much point in having a ps5 without a 4k TV...

You should get you a cheap 4k TV, I held out too long, it looks incredible.

Didn’t get a PS5. Focking bots bought them all within 30 seconds. Not paying over $600 for it. Guess I’ll wait til they are actually in the store 

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Didn’t get a PS5. Focking bots bought them all within 30 seconds. Not paying over $600 for it. Guess I’ll wait til they are actually in the store 

I signed up for a notification from Amazon when more PS5s would be available. By the time I got the email today and checked they were out again.  Oh well. 

The second one of the local stores have the PS5, I'm there. 
And not the cheap ass digital one. 

9 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

The second one of the local stores have the PS5, I'm there. 
And not the cheap ass digital one. 

Who the hell is gonna buy the digital one?  Maybe folks that dont have any PS4 games? 

14 minutes ago, DonS said:

I signed up for a notification from Amazon when more PS5s would be available. By the time I got the email today and checked they were out again.  Oh well. 

Walmart was selling them at 4 different times today. Every single time they sold out within seconds cause of bots. Literally had it in the cart on 4 different computers but their site kept crashing cause of the bots