Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

When you have something stuck in your gums...

When I was 14, I had braces.  During a routine checkup, the girl changing the wires clipped off the end piece and it got stuck in my gums.  Because they numbed the area, I didn't feel it until the next day when I was brushing my teeth.  I thought it was just sore, so I figured the pain would go away.  The pain got really bad the next day that my parents called the orthodontist and told them that unless they took me in immediately, they were taking me to the hospital.  Once we got there, the orthodontist brought me back into a room and 5 minutes later they called an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  That day I had surgery because the wire infected the entire left side of my mouth.  They had to cut open most of my mouth and clean out the infection.

Fortunately they caught it early enough where there was no major damage... though, the braces had to be removed completely.  We won a small lawsuit that came in quite useful a few years later.  I couldn't eat for a month.  I had to drink tons of protein shakes, smoothies, and crap like that.  Tons of antibiotics.  Once I did start eating food, it was soft stuff like eggs, pasta, bread, etc.  I didn't eat anything dense, like steak for 3 months.

Not a fun time.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

When I was 14, I had braces.  During a routine checkup, the girl changing the wires clipped off the end piece and it got stuck in my gums.  Because they numbed the area, I didn't feel it until the next day when I was brushing my teeth.  I thought it was just sore, so I figured the pain would go away.  The pain got really bad the next day that my parents called the orthodontist and told them that unless they took me in immediately, they were taking me to the hospital.  Once we got there, the orthodontist brought me back into a room and 5 minutes later they called an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  That day I had surgery because the wire infected the entire left side of my mouth.  They had to cut open most of my mouth and clean out the infection.

Fortunately they caught it early enough where there was no major damage... though, the braces had to be removed completely.  We won a small lawsuit that came in quite useful a few years later.  I couldn't eat for a month.  I had to drink tons of protein shakes, smoothies, and crap like that.  Tons of antibiotics.  Once I did start eating food, it was soft stuff like eggs, pasta, bread, etc.  I didn't eat anything dense, like steak for 3 months.

Not a fun time.

Dude, you gonna honor your bet or what!

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

Um, girl changing the wires can size???

Honestly, I don't remember.  Besides, they had those coats on and I wouldn't have been able to tell anyway.