Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

NFL TV Ratings Reasoning

Approximately 80 million play Fantasy Football. Early reports were the industry was down upwards of 10 % with some reports as high as 20% down in participation.   Just using basic common sense, that's over 10 million people who no longer have a vested interest in all the games their players were in. They might watch their home team but most of these people have cutback drastically.

On a personal level, no way in hell I'm watching Miami last year but I had Drake and Parker so of course I want to see that game. This year, my league cancelled so no. I will watch my Saints and maybe some division game endings but that's it.

I firmly believe the TV ratings will be down all season for this reason alone. Not a big deal, it will eventually return and get stronger than ever but Fantasy does play a strong part in their TV ratings. No way around it. 

Are the white players honoring rapists, junkies, and thugs on the back of their helmets too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BiffTannen said:

Are the white players honoring rapists, junkies, and thugs on the back of their helmets too?

Indeed another issue.  Harder to gauge that one but fantasy impact is reality on TV ratings. Those rating will stay marginally deflated all season. Thinking the SB though will be much higher and they will end on that high note.  

I could argue the opposite.  When I played FF, I followed updates on my phone more than I actually watched games.  Rather than watching the 1 or 2 guys who might be playing on a televised game, I might do some yard work and follow updates on my phone.  Not playing FF, I think I'd be more interested in watching the games as opposed to following my FF players.

My $.02.

33 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Approximately 80 million play Fantasy Football. Early reports were the industry was down upwards of 10 % with some reports as high as 20% down in participation.   Just using basic common sense, that's over 10 million people who no longer have a vested interest in all the games their players were in. They might watch their home team but most of these people have cutback drastically.

On a personal level, no way in hell I'm watching Miami last year but I had Drake and Parker so of course I want to see that game. This year, my league cancelled so no. I will watch my Saints and maybe some division game endings but that's it.

I firmly believe the TV ratings will be down all season for this reason alone. Not a big deal, it will eventually return and get stronger than ever but Fantasy does play a strong part in their TV ratings. No way around it. 

Sure but, there is a reason those folks quit playing fantasy. It's all connected.

There are going to be numerous reasons for lower ratings this year.  The real argument will be what the greatest cause for the decline is.  Some here think it's solely because of the BLM message and all everything else is just a lame excuse.  While it is very possible it's the biggest cause, it's certainly not the only cause.

7 minutes ago, Reality said:

Sure but, there is a reason those folks quit playing fantasy. It's all connected.

This is a good point. I won't return to FF or the NFL until the bullchit is over.

5 minutes ago, Reality said:

There are also multiple reasons why people quit playing fantasy football.  A lot of people quit because they are done with the NFL.  There is a certain amount of people who's leagues canceled due to COVID.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There are also multiple reasons why people quit playing fantasy football.  A lot of people quit because they are done with the NFL.  There is a certain amount of people who's leagues canceled due to COVID.

Online drafts are easy, if they really wanted to draft and couldn't get together because of Covid, there are very simple ways around that. 

Just now, Reality said:

Online drafts are easy, if they really wanted to draft and couldn't get together because of Covid, there are very simple ways around that. 

We held our draft via zoom along with a free online draft board (clickydraft.com) and it worked great.  Never heard covid getting blamed for lack of fantasy, before!  Maybe this impacted all female and/or tranny leagues though   :lol:

Lots of reasons but to my point, losing a chunk of Fantasy participation alone is going to hurt ratings. The ratings can't return to last year with that going on. I know there are different habits of people but even still, that's millions of people not flipping channels or just leaving the TV on whatever. Even when the politics come to a grinding halt those people are not coming back. This year anyway.   

21 minutes ago, Reality said:

Definitely.  Usually the die hard fantasy football guys do live drafts and they are generally the guys who would watch all the games following their players.  It's not going to be the biggest percentage of people but it still factors into the total.

Everyone was begging for sports to resume- there’s not a lot to do other than stay home, so sports represented a relief from the boredom everyone was experiencing.

Fast forward to sports actually starting and viewership is actually down? 

We can make all the excuses in the world. There’s one reason viewership is down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old School said:

Everyone was begging for sports to resume- there’s not a lot to do other than stay home, so sports represented a relief from the boredom everyone was experiencing.

We can make all the excuses in the world. There’s one reason viewership is down.

Hard to ignore that there are actually more sports on than there normally would be right now though.  NHL playoffs and NBA playoffs have never been on at the same time as the NFL.  As much as you think it's an excuse, it's still something to be accounted for.

• Haha 1

Washington Post is saying that with Covid around it is only responsible for people to not pay attention to games.  :overhead:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Old School said:

By and large people accept the most weighted bullet point on down ratings is politics. It was the main thing that created the thing of lower TV ratings. My main point though was Fantasy participation. When that returns next year then the ratings will return and likely exceed 2019. It can't happen without that happening.

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Hard to ignore that there are actually more sports on than there normally would be right now though.  NHL playoffs and NBA playoffs have never been on at the same time as the NFL.  As much as you think it's an excuse, it's still something to be accounted for.

No other games were on Sunday night. Denial is a stinky cologne. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I don't know how true that is.  I mean, your 80M and % may be right, but your 10M number?  Maybe not.  The 10% & 20% numbers are probably coming from the number of entries from fantasy websites.  If I stop playing, that's 4 less entries.  Only 1 person stopped playing.  So if the entries were all people like me (4 entries per person), then that would only be 2.5M people no longer with interest in fantasy games, not 10M.

My guess is that it's a mixture of people.  Some with only 1 or 2 entries... some with more than 5.  I'm guessing that overall, it's probably about half, so 5M.  Now, I'm not saying that's nothing, but 50% difference is a lot.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know how true that is.  I mean, your 80M and % may be right, but your 10M number?  Maybe not.  The 10% & 20% numbers are probably coming from the number of entries from fantasy websites.  If I stop playing, that's 4 less entries.  Only 1 person stopped playing.  So if the entries were all people like me (4 entries per person), then that would only be 2.5M people no longer with interest in fantasy games, not 10M.

My guess is that it's a mixture of people.  Some with only 1 or 2 entries... some with more than 5.  I'm guessing that overall, it's probably about half, so 5M.  Now, I'm not saying that's nothing, but 50% difference is a lot.

I didn't dig into the math with my personal accountant. He's off today but the lower ratings will be permanent this year is the just of it. Millions of viewers are lost without FF and that was before the season started. It could fluctuate weekly 2,3,6 million..regardless, it will still be down and there is no fixing it. Not until the playoffs or the SB.

1 minute ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I didn't dig into the math with my personal accountant. He's off today but the lower ratings will be permanent this year is the just of it. Millions of viewers are lost without FF and that was before the season started. It could fluctuate weekly 2,3,6 million..regardless, it will still be down and there is no fixing it. Not until the playoffs or the SB.

I agree completely with this.  It was only your math, well more so your deduction from that math, that I called into question.

40 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Washington Post is saying that with Covid around it is only responsible for people to not pay attention to games.  :overhead:

Of course.  I could not possibly be the bullsh!t virute signaling....

7 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I don’t believe that and if it is true it is sad. Most of the people I talked to are glad they are out.

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No other games were on Sunday night. Denial is a stinky cologne. 

Explain to me what you think I'm denying?

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm thinking his point is that you believe Covid is a significant factor in the lack of viewership.  I agree with him, if that's his point.  Covid is responsible for maybe 1%.  People are home.  They can watch if they want and they're not.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm thinking his point is that you believe Covid is a significant factor in the lack of viewership.  I agree with him, if that's his point.  Covid is responsible for maybe 1%.  People are home.  They can watch if they want and they're not.

Significant is subjective.  It's a factor and I have not said to what extent.  I've also said there are other factors.  None of this is false or a denial at all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

I don’t believe that and if it is true it is sad. Most of the people I talked to are glad they are out.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I'm glad that I'm out but I'm fresh off cutting out FF, I've divorced myself from the uber-woke team I have followed all my life, and so the race is on between the NFL becoming unwoke or me stopping caring. Chances are high I stop caring first.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Significant is subjective.  It's a factor and I have not said to what extent.  I've also said there are other factors.  None of this is false or a denial at all.

Ok, let's nail this down then.  What percent do you think that the lack of viewership is from the social stances that the players and the leagues are taking?  I think it's 95%.  You?

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ok, let's nail this down then.  What percent do you think that the lack of viewership is from the social stances that the players and the leagues are taking?  I think it's 95%.  You?

I would say closer to 75-80%

Best thing the NFL can do to get back some of it is point the finger directly at themselves because the NFL is deep seated in racism as an organization. Point it out, what they have done to change. Hell, they didn't even have black referees until the 70's or something. Take the focus off demeaning others and demean themselves. They are not some pious organization in terms of racism.

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I know you don’t read what others say, but it would be nice if you could remember what you say. You said that there were a lot of games in other sports.  There were no other games on Sunday night. NFL had the whole thing to themselves. Ratings were down, even with the Cowboys and the LA market. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

I know you don’t read what others say, but it would be nice if you could remember what you say. You said that there were a lot of games in other sports.  There were no other games on Sunday night. NFL had the whole thing to themselves. Ratings were down, even with the Cowboys and the LA market. 

Thanks for the non answer.  I did not deny why ratings were down, just that there are multiple reasons.  Go back and look what I've posted.  You made the claim so reread what I said and show proof where I denied what you're saying.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Thanks for the non answer.  I did not deny why ratings were down, just that there are multiple reasons.  Go back and look what I've posted.  You made the claim so reread what I said and show proof where I denied what you're saying.

I don’t have to look back. You offered up competition from other sports as one of the reasons. I successfully proved that not to be a factor. Take the L. 

Mike should pin a catch all thread for MAGAtards to cry about the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t have to look back. You offered up competition from other sports as one of the reasons. I successfully proved that not to be a factor. Take the L. 

That was just one of the reasons for overall numbers dropping.  I wasn't specifically talking about the Sunday night game.  You're still not making any case against you saying I'm in denial.  You're just proving more and more that you didn't actually comprehend what I was saying.  It's ok, I'll just take the L to make you feel better because it really seems to be important to you.  I hope you're able to make it through your day happy now.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Mike should pin a catch all thread for MAGAtards to cry about the NFL.

That would consolidate a good amount of threads.  It's amazing how many are complaining about the NFL and how they want it to fail on a website dedicated to fantasy football.

Someone should start a thread for all the cucks complaining about people complaining about the NFL. 

I don't think anyone on this site wants it to fail. Maybe momentarily because of the confusing messaging. Even Kap who kicked off this virtue parade is not happy with it. Is it white police brutality, racism, slavery in the US. I have no idea anymore. Can it be about the NFL's own internal racism. Apparently it can't be. Can it be about the plight of black neighborhoods. Definitely not. Can the Bears make statements on the field about violence in Chicago. Absolutely not. And police killed in cold blooded murder don't even think about it.

4 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I don't think anyone on this site wants it to fail. Maybe momentarily because of the confusing messaging. Even Kap who kicked off this virtue parade is not happy with it. Is it white police brutality, racism, slavery in the US. I have no idea anymore. Can it be about the NFL's own internal racism. Apparently it can't be. Can it be about the plight of black neighborhoods. Definitely not. Can the Bears make statements on the field about violence in Chicago. Absolutely not. And police killed in cold blooded murder don't even think about it.

Here's one of the posts on here saying it.

"I want it to fail so you're goddammn right I'm going to roll around in it when crappy ratings come pouring in."