Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

Any Pool Owners?

Pulling the trigger on a pool and new patio. I like to run but getting old. Just can't run more than a couple days a week without paying for it. We decided to get a lap pool. Basic pool for laps, no waterfall, slide. Just for busting out laps but can still be enjoyed regardless. It will also have a hot tub area. Wanted to get it covered but high dollar. Probably do it later but way over budget enclosed.

Anyway, I was wondering about amount annual costs if anyone has one or something they wish they had for their pool/ patio area. 

2 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Pulling the trigger on a pool and new patio. I like to run but getting old. Just can't run more than a couple days a week without paying for it. We decided to get a lap pool. Basic pool for laps, no waterfall, slide. Just for busting out laps but can still be enjoyed regardless. It will also have a hot tub area. Wanted to get it covered but high dollar. Probably do it later but way over budget enclosed.

Anyway, I was wondering about amount annual costs if anyone has one or something they wish they had for their pool/ patio area. 

Former pool owner.  Couldn't really break down the costs.  No way to separate out the water I put in the pool from the water I use in the shower.  Paid a pool guy like $60/month to come once a week.   That was about it that I can recall. 

• Like 1

If it’s just a lap pool the chemicals won’t be much. A hundred or so a year. I would go ahead and get the full pool. I have stamped concrete for my patio. Love it. 

I have a 20’ x 40’ inground pool with an automatic cover. I’d estimate $3k per year for me to cover the following:

- chemicals

- spring opening

- heating

- fall closing

- automatic cover replacement every 10 years

I haven’t broken down the costs, but off the cuff, that’s what I would assume to be safe.

I have a well, so water cost is virtually nothing. It doesn’t get fully drained for winter to my knowledge.

19 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I have a 20’ x 40’ inground pool with an automatic cover. I’d estimate $3k per year for me to cover the following:

- chemicals

- spring opening

- heating

- fall closing

- automatic cover replacement every 10 years

I haven’t broken down the costs, but off the cuff, that’s what I would assume to be safe.

I have a well, so water cost is virtually nothing. It doesn’t get fully drained for winter to my knowledge.

Automatic pool cover. Fancy. I wish I had one. 

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Can’t help you with the cost. We had the pool growing up but dad bought the chemicals. I just was the one putting them in. It’s a bit of work but i loved having one. Your kids will love it too. Didn’t have a hot tub though. Just a diving board. Good luck man :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Get a good vacuum. Add some chlorine and acid. Done. My pool is that easy unless a storm blows through. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Get a good vacuum. Add some chlorine and acid. Done. My pool is that easy unless a storm blows through. 

We used a hose that we would put into where the skimmer is at and vacuum it that way. Empty the skimmer when you were done. Just had to be care cause sometimes there would be a snake in there or the occasional spider or frog 

As far as chemicals go, once you open it all you need for the most part are the tablets. Drop in the skimmer and you’re done. Might have to add some if you start to get algae. Not a big deal. And a vacuum isn’t necessary after opening. Get a robot. Easy as can be. Drop it in there and come back in a few hours and you’re done for the day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, those robot vacs. Eventually I will have it enclosed but no coin for it now. Damn enclosure is as much as the pool which is crazy. It's just aluminum and plexiglass..meh. Here is TX people tell me they would like to spend more time hanging out by the pool but with rain, extreme heat and we do get some cold here they can't enjoy it as much. Enclosed, enjoy it all year around and less cleaning...for a price. 

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

As far as chemicals go, once you open it all you need for the most part are the tablets. Drop in the skimmer and you’re done. Might have to add some if you start to get algae. Not a big deal. And a vacuum isn’t necessary after opening. Get a robot. Easy as can be. Drop it in there and come back in a few hours and you’re done for the day. 

Yeah, robot vacuum. I only take mine out to swim. No chance I'm manually vacuuming. 

4 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Yeah, robot vacuum. I only take mine out to swim. No chance I'm manually vacuuming. 

I had my first pool in 2012. Once I figured things out it’s so easy now. I pay to have it opened and closed, need it done right around here because of the winters. But in between it’s so easy  if you spend a few bucks. Well worth it. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I had my first pool in 2012. Once I figured things out it’s so easy now. I pay to have it opened and closed, need it done right around here because of the winters. But in between it’s so easy  if you spend a few bucks. Well worth it. 

Also, Digby doesn’t have a pool. He doesn’t belong in the thread. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Also, Digby doesn’t have a pool. He doesn’t belong in the thread. 

You don’t have a pool or a deck either bro HTH

PS: I knew you couldn’t go a day without posting about me. Trolls gonna troll. Capital P for Pathetic. Back to the bridge 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

You don’t have a pool or a deck either bro HTH

PS: I knew you couldn’t go a day without posting about me. Trolls gonna troll. Back to the bridge 

Pool, deck and patio. You’re gonna have to make more than 15 an hour for that. Good luck! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Pool, deck and patio. You’re gonna have to make more than 15 an hour for that. Good luck! 

Lol sure you do. We ALL believe you got that. Especially when you lied about having it a few years ago :lol: 

Try to think about something other than me for once. Maybe then you’ll manage to find some friends and actually get a girlfriend 

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Lol sure you do. We ALL believe you got that. Especially when you lied about having it a few years ago :lol: 

Try to think about something other than me for once. Maybe then you’ll manage to find some friends and actually get a girlfriend 

Wife and two kids. You don’t have that either. Everything ok down there? You’ve been married a while. I hear you can get help for that. Good luck! 

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Automatic pool cover. Fancy. I wish I had one. 

It’s nice. Allegedly keeps the pool 10 degrees warmer than without, but the bigger perk is not needing a fence. Dam expensive though

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Wide and two kids. You don’t have that either. Everything ok down there? You’ve been married a while. I hear you can get help for that. Good luck! 

Sure you do. No one believes that but you can keep trying to pass off that story :lol: 

Either way I’m done with you. Don’t have time to worry about some loser on the internet when I’ve got an exam tomorrow morning. Have fun playing make believe on the internet and constantly thinking about me ;) 

Thanks for all the input. I forgot about the vac system and other tools. Need a place to store all that stuff. I have a previous owner old slabbed dog cage I can convert to a pool shed. Designer is coming FRI so I can add that to the requirements.  

If youre gonna do chems yourself, get to know about all the things that effect the pool.  Other than the usual chlorine and ph, reseach things like total alkalinity,  cyanuric acid, etc.  Spend the $75 for a real test kit, not a walmart special. 

When I had my pool, all I used was  bleach(bottle) , Baking soda, Borax, and muriatic acid.  The last thing you wanna do is get some sh!t like Legionaire from your pool.  Also, if you use tablets, it has stabilizer (cyanuric acid) in it.  It is meant to keep the chlorine stable.  If stabilizer gets too high over time, the chlorine will need to be kept at a higher level to continue sanitizing properly.  

2 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Thanks for all the input. I forgot about the vac system and other tools. Need a place to store all that stuff. I have a previous owner old slabbed dog cage I can convert to a pool shed. Designer is coming FRI so I can add that to the requirements.  

One of the things that we had and made things a lot  easier was a test kit for the chemicals in the pool. Can save you a ton of money in the long run 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Sure you do. No one believes that but you can keep trying to pass off that story :lol: 

Either way I’m done with you. Don’t have time to worry about some loser on the internet when I’ve got an exam tomorrow morning. Have fun playing make believe on the internet and constantly thinking about me ;) 

Looks like I hit that nerve. Are you shooting blanks or is the equipment not working? It happens to lots of guys. Talk to your doctor. 

11 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

If youre gonna do chems yourself, get to know about all the things that effect the pool.  Other than the usual chlorine and ph, reseach things like total alkalinity,  cyanuric acid, etc.  Spend the $75 for a real test kit, not a walmart special. 

When I had my pool, all I used was  bleach(bottle) , Baking soda, Borax, and muriatic acid.  The last thing you wanna do is get some sh!t like Legionaire from your pool.  Also, if you use tablets, it has stabilizer (cyanuric acid) in it.  It is meant to keep the chlorine stable.  If stabilizer gets too high over time, the chlorine will need to be kept at a higher level to continue sanitizing properly.  

One of our local pool places will test the water for free. I’m sure the chemicals cost more from them than online, but it was convenient. I brought a sample in shortly after opening and then mid summer.

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Looks like I hit that nerve. Are you shooting blanks or is the equipment not working? It happens to lots of guys. Talk to your doctor. 

Can't he just prescribe himself a pill?

• Haha 1

What is this "opening" and "closing" you all keep talking about?  Our pools in CA are open 365 days a year.  :P

Just now, Strike said:

What is this "opening" and "closing" you all keep talking about?  Our pools in CA are open 365 days a year.  :P

Fock off!!! :mad:

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You don’t a lick of common sense do you? Why would I want to have a kid while I’m in PA school? :lol: 

Just stop bro. You’re making yourself look even more like an idiot. Literally, you’re the boards conservative newbie: always have a better story, always are the tough guy, lie about what you have and have done, and constantly try to troll people. Plus, you constantly try to deflect from the fact that you get called out on your lies lol. 

I’m gonna enjoy this bath while I study so I won’t really respond but I feel 100% certain you will and it’ll be some BS attempt to try and troll 

Got to get the sign:

"I don't swim in your toilet so please don't don't pee in my pool."

Unless you enjoy that kind of thing. But I don't think you're a democrat.

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

You don’t a lick of common sense do you? Why would I want to have a kid while I’m in PA school? :lol: 

Just stop bro. You’re making yourself look even more like an idiot. Literally, you’re the boards conservative newbie: always have a better story, always are the tough guy, lie about what you have and have done, and constantly try to troll people. Plus, you constantly try to deflect from the fact that you get called out on your lies lol. 

I’m gonna enjoy this bath while I study so I won’t really respond but I feel 100% certain you will and it’ll be some BS attempt to try and troll 

That’s funny, I just told you the other day that people know you’re full of it because you’re the one who always has the best of it. Look at you, you’re in a pool thread and you don’t even have one, giving out advice, as if. Sad that you have to repeat what I said a few days ago. Think for yourself. Now get to studying boy,  us taxpayers paying your tuition expect results! Lol. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s funny, I just told you the other day that people know you’re full of it because you’re the one who always has the best of it. Look at you, you’re in a pool thread and you don’t even have one, giving out advice, as if. Sad that you have to repeat what I said a few days ago. Think for yourself. Now get to studying boy,  us taxpayers paying your tuition expect results! Lol. 

Nobody believes you troll newbie but way to keep deflecting from your lies :lol:  Back to the bridge 

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Nobody believes you troll newbie but way to keep deflecting from your lies :lol:  Back to the bridge 

Hit the books kid, I don’t want my money wasted! 

Nothing wrong with waiting to have a kid Digby. Just don’t wait til you’re 40 or 50. You’re in the medical field so you know why.

• Haha 1

Just now, MDC said:

Nothing wrong with waiting to have a kid Digby. Just don’t wait til you’re 40 or 50. You’re in the medical field so you know why.

Oh I know. Retard up there thinks you need to have a kid by the time youre able to drink legally and if you havent then somethings wrong. Doesnt mention the fact that hes stated hes like 70 and just had a kid but something CANT be wrong with him :lol: Noone takes him seriously anyway because everyone knows hes full of sh1t and tries to deflect from his lies when called out. Quite funny how he contradicts himself all the time

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

It’s true Digby. You can also hook up with a girl who already has one who got knocked up when she was 18  because of her daddy issues. Lots of slutty girls have daddy issues.  But smart guys just bang em. Single moms with daddy issues are the no go zone for sharp guys. Desperate guys may not have a choice. 

Ever wonder what goes through newbie trolls head that makes him want to derail every thread he posts in to try and start a slap fight? It’s almost like he has no one else to talk to and nothing else to do all day despite supposedly having a wife, kids, pool, etc 🤔

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Ever wonder what goes through newbie trolls head that makes him want to derail every thread he posts in to try and start a slap fight? It’s almost like he has no one else to talk to and nothing else to do all day despite supposedly having a wife, kids, pool, etc 🤔

You can’t quit me. Stay down. You said you were done about an hour and a half ago. Hit the books boy! Lol.