Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

Any Pool Owners?

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You can’t quit me. Stay down. You said you were done about an hour and a half ago. Hit the books boy! Lol. 

Says the guy who constantly talks about me behind my back in random threads :lol: 

Keep deflecting. Further drives my point home :lol: 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Says the guy who constantly talks about me behind my back in random threads :lol: 

Keep deflecting. Further drives my point home :lol: 

Sorry I took you away from your studies. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sorry I took you away from your studies. Lol. 

Taking an HT right now so you didn’t 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Get a room or take it to PM you 2 :lol:

No way, the entertainment factor is about a 5, which is good enough for me. 

Chlorine pools are so last century. Everyone has salt water pools now. Chlorine is whack.

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

No way, the entertainment factor is about a 5, which is good enough for me. 

It’s not even that entertaining. Same Schtick, different day for newbie troll. It gets very monotonous and predictable. Dude is here 24/7 but claims he’s got all this other stuff and extravagant lifestyle yet we see him here all the time. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Chlorine pools are so last century. Everyone has salt water pools now. Chlorine is whack.

LOL. Try paying to have that salt water maintained. CONSTANTLY

2 hours ago, peenie said:

It's still chlorine. The salt is converted to chlorine through charged plates. Slightly less maintenance is the only difference. Chlorine is actually bad ass. It stopped the Cholera epidemic when it was put in the drinking water at the turn of the century. Some rouge chemist in Chicago finally said phuck it and put it in the drinking water without permission.

He knew it would work and save lives but didn't want to go through all the Government bs for years. The court dropped the case against him when they saw it worked. Cholera cases stopped. It's still used today. Dumb asses back then were dumping their raw sewage into the drinking water. Chlorine killed all the bacteria. He knew it was the drinking water because a lot of men drank beer back then like water. Almost nobody at the pubs were getting sick. Beer kills all the bacteria. Smart MF'er. He saved a lot of lives.

9 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

It's still chlorine. The salt is converted to chlorine through charged plates. :huh::thumbsup:   Slightly less maintenance is the only difference. Chlorine is actually bad ass. It stopped the Cholera epidemic when it was put in the drinking water at the turn of the century. Some rouge chemist in Chicago finally said phuck it and put it in the drinking water without permission. :o

He knew it would work and save lives but didn't want to go through all the Government bs for years. The court dropped the case against him when they saw it worked. Cholera cases stopped. It's still used today. Dumb asses back then were dumping their raw sewage into the drinking water. Chlorine killed all the bacteria. He knew it was the drinking water because a lot of men drank beer back then like water. Almost nobody at the pubs were getting sick. Beer kills all the bacteria. :cheers: Smart MF'er. He saved a lot of lives.

But salt water pools feel different (less harsh) on the skin on hair. It doesn't hurt my eyes. I love the salt water pools.

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

But salt water pools feel different (less harsh) on the skin on hair. It doesn't hurt my eyes. I love the salt water pools.

Putting too much Chlorine in and not letting it cycle long enough. I'm meeting with a pool expert FRI but I talked to one a few years ago and I think he said salt is a gimmick. It's still Chlorine. The filtering systems now are better and more automated. Not like the old days of Dad pouring 5 scoops in there manually.   

16 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Pulling the trigger on a pool and new patio. I like to run but getting old. Just can't run more than a couple days a week without paying for it. We decided to get a lap pool. Basic pool for laps, no waterfall, slide. Just for busting out laps but can still be enjoyed regardless. It will also have a hot tub area. Wanted to get it covered but high dollar. Probably do it later but way over budget enclosed.

Anyway, I was wondering about amount annual costs if anyone has one or something they wish they had for their pool/ patio area. 

My wife wanted a pool.  Instead I just bought a reasonably priced condo near where I keep the boat about 20 minutes from home.  It has a nice lap pool.  It was only about double what a basic pool would cost.  We use it all the time and stay at the condo 2-3 nights a week.  We could also rent the condo if we wanted.  Almost nobody is there during the week and a lot of people just come in from out of town on the weekends so they can use their boats.  I pretty much have it to myself on weekdays and the condo should hold its value a lot better than a pool would.  I know it may not be ideal depending on what you want but it is another way to go. 

12 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Get a room or take it to PM you 2 :lol:

Only here could a thread about a pool end this way.

16 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Yep. Blame newbie troll for that. Dude derails every thread he touches :doh:

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yep. Blame newbie troll for that. Dude derails every thread he touches :doh:

You don’t have to respond. 

14 hours ago, Fireballer said:

If youre gonna do chems yourself, get to know about all the things that effect the pool.  Other than the usual chlorine and ph, reseach things like total alkalinity,  cyanuric acid, etc.  Spend the $75 for a real test kit, not a walmart special. 

When I had my pool, all I used was  bleach(bottle) , Baking soda, Borax, and muriatic acid.  The last thing you wanna do is get some sh!t like Legionaire from your pool.  Also, if you use tablets, it has stabilizer (cyanuric acid) in it.  It is meant to keep the chlorine stable.  If stabilizer gets too high over time, the chlorine will need to be kept at a higher level to continue sanitizing properly.  

This guy gets it.  Do NOT go to a pool store, you will leave with shite you don't need.  Bleach, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate and a good test kit (Trouble Free Pool has a fantastic kit).  You may need acid if pH gets too high.  Spring for a sand filter, you will thank me later.  Once you get into a rhythm you will probably test the pool once a week.  Once your water chem is solid, you "usually" just maintain your chlorine ppms (adding bleach).  It's really actually quite simple and not overly expensive at all.  A pool heater will of course increase your costs...

Going to be interesting FRI with the pool expert planner. Made a list of user stories of things the wife wants. I just let her get it all out and said nothing. Going to be funny when she has to start deciding what to exclude from her Rolls Royce pool to make it look like a Camry. She even thinks we can keep all our mature trees in the backyard LOL! It was hard to hold in the laughter but I said yeah, they can totally do that, people put trees next to pools all the time.  

8 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Going to be interesting FRI with the pool expert planner. Made a list of user stories of things the wife wants. I just let her get it all out and said nothing. Going to be funny when she has to start deciding what to exclude from her Rolls Royce pool to make it look like a Camry. She even thinks we can keep all our mature trees in the backyard LOL! It was hard to hold in the laughter but I said yeah, they can totally do that, people put trees next to pools all the time.  

Leaves are the enemy. 

15 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

We had two trees near the pool but they were small and far enough back to where they werent hanging direcly over the pool. Still made it a pain to get the leaves out but then again, that was my job not my dads lol 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Leaves are the enemy. 

For us it's pine cones. Squirrels eat them like corn on the cob. I get about 10000 pieces of mock corn and cobs a week on the patio.

11 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

LOL. Try paying to have that salt water maintained. CONSTANTLY

My salt generator takes care of that. I pay our pool guy $100.00 a month to take care of it. They clean the big filter once a year ($150). They shut down the salt generator in the winter time and use the chlorine float. In the summer time they add salt and crank the generator back up (I think it is like $10-20 for the salt depending on how much you need). When we put in our pool 4 years ago we had this really grand blue print of all the things we wanted. When we found out the cost of the concrete around the pool (not the pool itself) we had to scale it back some. I want to say the concrete work we did was just as expensive as the pool. We designed a free form pool which makes it difficult to have a cover which would be nice since our two back neighbors have giant trees that block out a majority of the sun. I would have done a more traditional shape had we thought about it more. We have a "Shamoo Shelf" which is a half circle that comes out about 4-5 feet at the farthest point and is only about 6-8 inches deep so you can put chairs in and just keep your feet wet. The pool designed asked us if we wanted a hole in the shamoo shelf to put an umbrella in. I thought he was crazy and said no and he insisted and said we would use it all the time. He was right it has made such a difference especially because of the path the sun sets in our backyard. We have heated it when it wasn't crazy hot out and that can be pretty expensive but I hate the cold water so it's a trade off.   

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

Only here would a geek buy a condo in order to have a pool 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nospk said:

If you want a quasi boat house and the wife wants a pool instead you figure it out.

18 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

For us it's pine cones. Squirrels eat them like corn on the cob. I get about 10000 pieces of mock corn and cobs a week on the patio.

Those and pine straw were the biggest pains growing up. I’d fill up 2-3 wheelbarrows full of nothing but pine cones and have to take them across the street to the wooded area where they picked them up and dump them there. Focking hated them with a passion 

We all know that Digbys swimming pool was actually a swimming hole down at the creek, right? Lol. 

6 hours ago, nospk said:

Actually it has been my most enjoyable summer ever.  I stay at the condo and can walk down to the boat.  When I get done diving I walk up, have lunch and then take a nap at the pool.  Then I can either go home or just stay there for the night.  My wife can come or go as well.  If she wants to stay at the house I just relax the rest of the day.  I never have has such an enjoyable year.