Sign in to follow this  
"Celebs" join Instagram 'freeze' to protest Facebook inaction...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/celebs-join-instagram-freeze-protest-103618254.html

LONDON (AP) — Kim Kardashian West, Katy Perry, Leonardo DiCaprio and other celebrities are taking part in a 24-hour Instagram “freeze” on Wednesday to protest against what they say is parent company Facebook's failure to tackle violent and hateful content and election misinformation.

Hollywood stars and influencers are lending their backing to the “#StopHateforProfit” movement's latest campaign. The movement asks people to put up a message highlighting what they called the damage Facebook does but otherwise refrain from posting on Instagram for a day.

“I can’t sit by and stay silent while these platforms continue to allow the spreading of hate, propaganda and misinformation – created by groups to sow division and split America apart – only to take steps after people are killed,” Kardashian West posted on her Instagram account on Tuesday.

Facebook declined to comment but pointed to recent announcements about what it's doing to limit the reach on its platform of groups that support violence and its efforts to protect the U.S. election in November.

With 188 million followers, Kardashian West is one of the most influential people on Instagram and support from her and other big names for the boycott saw Facebook shares slide in aftermarket trading late Tuesday. They were down 1.7% ahead of the market open on Wednesday.

The organizers behind “#StopHateforProfit," including civil rights groups such as the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP and Color Of Change, had previously led a campaign that got hundreds of brands and nonprofits to join a Facebook advertising boycott in July.

Ashton Kutcher, Mark Ruffalo, Kerry Washington, Rosario Dawson, Jamie Foxx and Sacha Baron Cohen were among about two dozen Hollywood stars and celebrity influencers supporting the campaign, the organizers said.

DiCaprio said he was standing with the civil rights groups to call “on all users of Instagram and Facebook to protest the amplification of hate, racism, and the undermining of democracy on those platforms.”

Facebook, which earned nearly $70 billion in advertising revenue last year, is facing a reckoning over what critics call indefensible excuses for amplifying divisions, hate and misinformation on their platforms.

“We are quickly approaching one of the most consequential elections in American history," organizers said. “Facebook’s unchecked and vague ‘changes’ are falling dangerously short of what is necessary to protect our democracy.”

The movement also singled out for criticism Facebook's handling of online material ahead of the shootings in Kenosha, Wisconsin last month. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said the company made a mistake in not removing sooner a page belonging to a militia group that called for armed civilians to enter the town. It only took the page down after an armed teenager killed two people after violent protests sparked by the police shooting of Jacob Blake, who is black.

--------------

Oh God, how will the world survive without one whole day of useless stuff...

• Like 1

They're angry that Facebook only agrees with them 99% of the time on these matters?

3 minutes ago, posty said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/celebs-join-instagram-freeze-protest-103618254.html

LONDON (AP) — Kim Kardashian West, Katy Perry, Leonardo DiCaprio and other celebrities are taking part in a 24-hour Instagram “freeze” on Wednesday to protest against what they say is parent company Facebook's failure to tackle violent and hateful content and election misinformation.

Hollywood stars and influencers are lending their backing to the “#StopHateforProfit” movement's latest campaign. The movement asks people to put up a message highlighting what they called the damage Facebook does but otherwise refrain from posting on Instagram for a day.

“I can’t sit by and stay silent while these platforms continue to allow the spreading of hate, propaganda and misinformation – created by groups to sow division and split America apart – only to take steps after people are killed,” Kardashian West posted on her Instagram account on Tuesday.

Facebook declined to comment but pointed to recent announcements about what it's doing to limit the reach on its platform of groups that support violence and its efforts to protect the U.S. election in November.

With 188 million followers, Kardashian West is one of the most influential people on Instagram and support from her and other big names for the boycott saw Facebook shares slide in aftermarket trading late Tuesday. They were down 1.7% ahead of the market open on Wednesday.

The organizers behind “#StopHateforProfit," including civil rights groups such as the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP and Color Of Change, had previously led a campaign that got hundreds of brands and nonprofits to join a Facebook advertising boycott in July.

Ashton Kutcher, Mark Ruffalo, Kerry Washington, Rosario Dawson, Jamie Foxx and Sacha Baron Cohen were among about two dozen Hollywood stars and celebrity influencers supporting the campaign, the organizers said.

DiCaprio said he was standing with the civil rights groups to call “on all users of Instagram and Facebook to protest the amplification of hate, racism, and the undermining of democracy on those platforms.”

Facebook, which earned nearly $70 billion in advertising revenue last year, is facing a reckoning over what critics call indefensible excuses for amplifying divisions, hate and misinformation on their platforms.

“We are quickly approaching one of the most consequential elections in American history," organizers said. “Facebook’s unchecked and vague ‘changes’ are falling dangerously short of what is necessary to protect our democracy.”

The movement also singled out for criticism Facebook's handling of online material ahead of the shootings in Kenosha, Wisconsin last month. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said the company made a mistake in not removing sooner a page belonging to a militia group that called for armed civilians to enter the town. It only took the page down after an armed teenager killed two people after violent protests sparked by the police shooting of Jacob Blake, who is black.

--------------

Kim won't make it 24 hours. 

So if Kimmy disagrees with something, delete it or else?

How about fock you Kimmy?

3 minutes ago, RLLD said:

So if Kimmy disagrees with something, delete it or else?

How about fock you Kimmy?

That made me think of the joke: "The Kardasians. Getting black men off since the O.J. trial."

:lol:  A bunch of attention wh0res going off 1 social media outlet for 24 whole hours.  What on earth are we all going to do without them? :overhead:

I think my work will understand that I'm gonna need a day off to get some emotional support to help me get through this.

34 minutes ago, posty said:

--------------

It would be great if they make it permanent.

Just now, The Elevator Killer said:

And lose the wisdom of Katy Perry? 

I just need for to dress in revealing clothing and stay quiet. 

I...  I can't handle the freeze...  I am going nuts...

I keep refreshing Instrgram hoping that...  Hoping that they will post something...  Anything...

I need to know...  What they are eating...  When they are sleeping...  I...  I...  I...

(puts gun to head)

Just now, KayJay1971 said:

I just need for to dress in revealing clothing and stay quiet. 

If she stays quiet how can she ask what you want on your sammich? Big picture man. Big picture!

6 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

If she stays quiet how can she ask what you want on your sammich? Big picture man. Big picture!

She should already know the answer.

14 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

That is where yo are wrong. She should already know how I like it! 

Just now, The Elevator Killer said:

Look at the post above. 

I saw it right after I hit submit. :wall:

I don't follow anything on Instagram.  But why did you write "Celebs" in quotations.  They are 3 of the biggest celebrities in the world.  Their celebrity is not up for debate.  

3 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I don't follow anything on Instagram.  But why did you write "Celebs" in quotations.  They are 3 of the biggest celebrities in the world.  Their celebrity is not up for debate.  

I guess that depends on what type of people you follow or take interest in or want to learn about.

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I guess that depends on what type of people you follow or take interest in or want to learn about.

no it doesn't.  

How these utterly empty gestures don't offend people is just beyond me.   The one day where a bunch of people posted a black screen or snap for a day to support BLM( or something--who remembers now) was so stupid. This one is even more stupid.

It’s about time these celebrities felt some discomfort. Glad to see them getting in the fight. It’s almost as tough as kneeling what they are doing.  Warriors Come in all shapes and sizes. 

12 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

no it doesn't.  

Maybe those are celebs in your life, to me, nah. Have fun following them dude.

Facebook already suppresses tons of information they don’t agree with. Celebs seem like they won’t be satisfied until it’s nothing but left wing propaganda. Science and common sense be dammed 

These local disputes between members of the nobility grow tiresome.  Pretty soon, one faction will use a white rose as its emblem and the other will use a red rose.

17 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Maybe those are celebs in your life, to me, nah. Have fun following them dude.

you don't have a say dude.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

:lol:  A bunch of attention wh0res going off 1 social media outlet for 24 whole hours.  What on earth are we all going to do without them? :overhead:

How does Zuckerberg not say exactly this?  The dude has more money than God.  I respect his self-control.

13 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Neither do they for 24 hours

Probably already crossed the international date line in their private jets and skipped a day. Ban over in their minds.

The situation and snooky are celebrities too. Are they any dumber than Katy Perry? 

I'm not handling the Freeze Out well - checking myself into the hospital for observation, just to be safe...

Just now, Cruzer said:

I'm not handling the Freeze Out well - checking myself into the hospital for observation, just to be safe...

Damn...  I was getting ready to post if everyone is feeling okay...

I hope that the hospitals have enough beds...