Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

4:15 AM Workouts

Use to always workout evening but read an article about Mark Walberg and his regime. His movies suck but he workouts early so thought I'd try it. 

Rough for a couple days but been doing it for weeks. I like it. My gym is on the other side of a large rancher house so I can make all the noise I want. Put on some Sirius and go at it for a couple hours. Right before I'm done the auto coffee grinder and machine kicks off. Get a couple cups of black coffee, watch some local news, talk to the wife then off to work in my home office. 

One of the best effects though, when I start work, I'm wound the phuck up, alert and don't take shlt from anyone. Not even my boss. Mainly because it's 7:30AM. Who really wants to deal with someone talking shlt that early. Almost nobody. I know it's a real thing because nobody wants to talk to me until close to 10.  

• Thanks 1

I find that when I work out too early, I'm dead tired and just half-ass it the whole time. My favorite thing about working from home is I workout later in the morning whenever I have a free hour.

3 minutes ago, Old School said:

People are supposed to be sleeping at that time of the morning 

This guy gets it

It's not for everybody but to be honest I had to do it. I Built a high dollar home gym right before the Bubonic Plague. Wife was not all that into working out but she now loves all the new equip and tech I put in there for online workouts.   

She gets off work in the evening and works out with her friends online. Sounds like beauty parlor gossip in there. They do workout but all the open gator mouths snapping, the workouts go on for hours. By the time she's done it was getting too late so had to adjust. It's not that bad like most routines. Once you commit to it easy.   

7 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

It's not for everybody but to be honest I had to do it. I Built a high dollar home gym right before the Bubonic Plague. Wife was not all that into working out but she now loves all the new equip and tech I put in there for online workouts.   

She gets off work in the evening and works out with her friends online. Sounds like beauty parlor gossip in there. They do workout but all the open gator mouths snapping, the workouts go on for hours. By the time she's done it was getting too late so had to adjust. It's not that bad like most routines. Once you commit to it easy.   

Have you ever become intimate with her in there?  :ninja:

7 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I can tell you're in real estate. Home gyms that double as sadomasochistic chamber room sells homes. Well aware thank you. 

39 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I have. Her friends watch on the high-tech equipment that Headlock installed for us.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I have. Her friends watch on the high-tech equipment that Headlock installed for us.

This is true. That's only on WED though during the debauchery urinating routine in your face. 

9 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Use to always workout evening but read an article about Mark Walberg and his regime. His movies suck but he workouts early so thought I'd try it. 

Rough for a couple days but been doing it for weeks. I like it. My gym is on the other side of a large rancher house so I can make all the noise I want. Put on some Sirius and go at it for a couple hours. Right before I'm done the auto coffee grinder and machine kicks off. Get a couple cups of black coffee, watch some local news, talk to the wife then off to work in my home office. 

One of the best effects though, when I start work, I'm wound the phuck up, alert and don't take shlt from anyone. Not even my boss. Mainly because it's 7:30AM. Who really wants to deal with someone talking shlt that early. Almost nobody. I know it's a real thing because nobody wants to talk to me until close to 10.  

I've done it in the past, and I love how great I feel during the day after an early workout---though at 5:45, not friggin 4:15. But I stopped doing them a few months ago...and finding that early motivation to start again is tough.  

I thought I would not like it. Army officer school, we worked out daily at 4:30 for months on end rain or shine. Even -25 degrees with the base advisory saying no working out. Officers they didn't care. They took the gloves off on us which I get but man, left a bitter taste in my mouth on morning workouts for years.

My workouts though are all indoors, climate controlled and I can take my time without all the annoying military cadences and my water bottle freezing solid. Totally different experience. And if I don't feel like it that morning no forced labor.   

Oh hell yeah! I love working out first thing in the morning. I feel great the rest of the day.

Nothing like running while the sun is coming up. Makes a man feel alive.

It will be really nice to go hit the pool and hot tub around 6:30 after the 2 hours in the high dollar gym

2 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I thought I would not like it. Army officer school, we worked out daily at 4:30 for months on end rain or shine. Even -25 degrees with the base advisory saying no working out. Officers they didn't care. They took the gloves off on us which I get but man, left a bitter taste in my mouth on morning workouts for years.

My workouts though are all indoors, climate controlled and I can take my time without all the annoying military cadences and my water bottle freezing solid. Totally different experience. And if I don't feel like it that morning no forced labor.   

My big problem is if I don't feel like it one day, then it makes it easier to feel that way the next day---I need to man up and get up early again. Here's hoping your thread motivates to sack up and get out of bed---considering the 1000's I've spent on workout equipment, there is much better use for it than just being a place to hang clothes to dry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

My big problem is if I don't feel like it one day, then it makes it easier to feel that way the next day---I need to man up and get up early again. Here's hoping your thread motivates to sack up and get out of bed---considering the 1000's I've spent on workout equipment, there is much better use for it than just being a place to hang clothes to dry.

Go for it. I find what keeps me motivated; a large notebook. I write down all routines everyday with weight amounts. If I see I start getting more reps I increase by 2.5-5 lbs. It happens quick too. Within 2 weeks I shot up, mild plateau but going up again now. Been at it 3 months. It's very effective.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, FlyinHeadlock said:

This can be good or bad, depending on your objective.  If your objective is cardiovascular health then this is a really good idea, but if your objective is muscle growth, you'll find that you won't have nearly the success as compared to working out later in the day.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This can be good or bad, depending on your objective.  If your objective is cardiovascular health then this is a really good idea, but if your objective is muscle growth, you'll find that you won't have nearly the success as compared to working out later in the day.

I'm more into working out for fitness and a little tone, but not super educated, so why does time make a difference?

26 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'm more into working out for fitness and a little tone, but not super educated, so why does time make a difference?

It doesn't and is totally subjective on the person.

Some would argue that you're in a fasted state when you first wake up so you don't have the energy you would later in the day.

Others would argue that being in a fasted state your body produces natural human growth hormone HGH so you'll build muscle faster.

Work out when you can is the most important

39 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Your body reacts differently based on how long you've been awake.  Your metabolic state is more beneficial for muscle growth after your body have been active for a longer period of time.  The longer you're awake, the better.  Of course, you can't wait too long either.  But, if you are a person who is actively trying to build muscle mass, working out after you've been awake for several hours will give your body more time to be in a better metabolic state. 

From a cardiovascular perspective, your metabolic state isn't as important.  Your heart, assuming you're alive, is always working.  In fact, it's more beneficial to do cardiovascular workouts in the morning.  People get that "second wind", after their heart rate (different for everyone based on age and health), is around 70% over your resting rate.  So, if your resting heart rate is 65 beats per minute, then your target heart rate would be about 110 bpm for about 20 minutes... to which you start burning fat.  This target heart rate could be achieved faster when you've just waken up and put your body is a state of stress faster than what your body is ready for.  Of course, you do need to be diligent.  If you go from 65 bpm to 110 bpm in 2 minutes... that's a BIG problem, but if it takes you say 7 minutes, that's ok.  The thing you hear is that you should exercise for 30 minutes.  Well, that's because the standard is that it takes you 10 minutes to get to that target rate, and when you hit that, you should workout for 20 more minutes.   Well, if you hit that target rate at 7 minutes, and still workout for 30, then you'll get 3 more minutes of fat burning than what you normally would have.  Or, you can get your workout done a few minutes sooner.  Whichever is best for you.

If you're just into general fitness any exercise, at any time of the day, is better that doing nothing.  As I said initially, it's all about your objective.  Most people aren't interested in adding muscle mass... just maybe get a bit stronger.  Younger people are more likely to fall into the group of wanting to add mass than older people.  Older people are generally interested in metabolism/cardiovascular health.  People in their mid-30's to 40's, should be focusing on a little bit of both, focusing more on cardio, but still should be looking to add muscle.  A man's health cycle is a better Metabolism = higher testosterone = more muscle = better metabolism.

57 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Yeah, I'm going to go with it does not matter. Going by that someone who worked a night shift then worked out in the morning could not get bigger. 

It has nothing to do with the actual time of time, but the amount of time you've been awake.  When you say "morning workout" and 4 AM, the implication is that your work day is 8 to 5.  Someone who works 3rd shift, his "morning workout" isn't 4 AM it's whatever it is for that persons personal schedule.  Maybe it's 7 PM.  Maybe it's 1 PM.

I feel pretty good at 4:30 AM. I take about 15 mins get the blood flowing but I write down each exercise with weight/results daily. If I do 7-9 reps, the following week I increase the weight and get it back to 4-6. I've always can either do what I did the previous week but overall I've steadily been increasing the weight. I will plateau, only been at it 3 months but right now it's working well. Absolutely getting stronger.

I don't think I could do 4:30, but the only time I work out, when I get in a groove, is first thing in the morning. I've done maybe 5:30 at the earliest. I never work out after work or in the evening. I'm either too hungry, too tired, or both. If I didn't work out that morning, I didn't work out that day, period.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Your body reacts differently based on how long you've been awake.  Your metabolic state is more beneficial for muscle growth after your body have been active for a longer period of time.  The longer you're awake, the better.  Of course, you can't wait too long either.  But, if you are a person who is actively trying to build muscle mass, working out after you've been awake for several hours will give your body more time to be in a better metabolic state. 

Thank you!  :thumbsup:

I think it's a body rhythm  thing. For me, morning workouts just didn't work physically or mentally. But  right around 3 p.m.? That's when Id hit my stride.

...'course I haven't seen my stride in about 15 years. I wonder where I put it?

36 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I think it's a body rhythm  thing. For me, morning workouts just didn't work physically or mentally. But  right around 3 p.m.? That's when Id hit my stride.

...'course I haven't seen my stride in about 15 years. I wonder where I put it?

That's the norm for most people.  A lot of this stuff can be trained though.  Over a period of time, you can condition your body to accept a new routine/regime, you just have to dedicated to it... and have the ability to dedicate the time to it.  People don't treat their body the way they should.  You body can learn, easily, it just has to be taught.  Too often, people expect/want, instant results and that's just not realistic.