Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

polling done on the mix of politics and sports

I read this sort of poll a bit differently than other people.  To get a civil war going, I estimate we need about 25% of the population ready to revolt against the current state of affairs.  When this poll asks broad, general questions about mixing, there is pretty good support.  But when they start asking specifics like kneeling or wearing names or messages on their uniforms, you see over 40% disapproval.  So to me this poll gives HEAVY support to an imminent civil war.

https://sports.yahoo.com/poll-americans-favor-athletes-speaking-out-just-not-on-the-field-151908902.html

Poll: Americans favor athletes speaking out ... just not on the field
Jay Busbee
,Yahoo Sports•September 18, 2020

A majority of Americans are fine with pro athletes speaking their mind on social justice issues ... as long as they do it away from the field.

That’s the broad conclusion of a new poll from Yahoo News and YouGov surveying a broad cross-section of Americans. The responses generally broke down along expected lines, with Republican respondents generally opposing activism and Democratic respondents generally favoring it. However, nearly half of all respondents noted that their attitudes to ongoing protests and demonstrations have changed over the course of the last five years.

Change in acceptance of protests in sports

Colin Kaepernick kicked off the modern protest era in the NFL when he began kneeling in 2016. Since then, almost half of the poll’s respondents — 49 percent — noted that their attitudes toward protesting during sporting events had changed over that time.

One-fifth of all respondents, 20 percent, noted that they have become more accepting of protests over the last five years. However, 29 percent indicated they have become less accepting. The largest percentage, 42 percent, said their attitudes had not changed. (The final 9 percent were unsure.)

See, I'm in favor of athletes not speaking at all. Politics or otherwise. I can barely understand these Mushmouthed half-wits in the first place.

21 minutes ago, riversco said:

I read this sort of poll a bit differently than other people.  To get a civil war going, I estimate we need about 25% of the population ready to revolt against the current state of affairs.  When this poll asks broad, general questions about mixing, there is pretty good support.  But when they start asking specifics like kneeling or wearing names or messages on their uniforms, you see over 40% disapproval.  So to me this poll gives HEAVY support to an imminent civil war.

Uh oh.  I guess you better hoard even more MREs.

"Are you okay with athletes speaking out on SJW issues"

Well duh, most america's other than liberals support free speech. So yes, most of us are okay with it, but that doesn mean like or support the message.

So long as it's on their time and not my time.

3 hours ago, DexterM1776 said:

"Are you okay with athletes speaking out on SJW issues"

Well duh, most america's other than liberals support free speech. So yes, most of us are okay with it, but that doesn mean like or support the message.

So long as it's on their time and not my time.

Exactly.

I think the article tries to play fast and loose with the polling in exactly that way.  Speaking out on politics in general is a free speech issue.  But people don't want politics everywhere in their lives.

3 hours ago, wiffleball said:

See, I'm in favor of athletes not speaking at all. Politics or otherwise. I can barely understand these Mushmouthed half-wits in the first place.

This x1000

13 hours ago, riversco said:

If people say blue lives matter, is that supported?