Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

UPDATE: McCaffrey Ankle Injury - Out Multiple Weeks

Carolina Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) suffered an ankle injury during the Week 2 game and is considered questionable to return.

How many top RBs are going to get injured today?

Barkley, Mosert, now CMac

Christian McCaffrey (ankle) will have an MRI on Monday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

The goal is to "gain a full understanding of (McCaffrey's) ailment," although the "initial hope is it's not too serious," per Rapsheet. McCaffrey was not immediately ruled out once sustaining the injury, which leaves us optimistic for tomorrow's results, but never returned to the field. The Panthers face the Chargers in Week 3.

Sep 20, 2020, 6:26 PM ET

Zoinks. Just heard he is expected to miss several weeks. Not sure if that is speculation from a source or not.

First 4-5 weeks I always try to keep the backup for my 2 best players. I figure if I make it to week 5 in good shape I can start tinkering around with cutting the backups and pick them back up if I can now and then. Not bulletproof but I would have to have CM backup, at least early on. 

To all the McCaffrey owners - this is my fault. I had Mike Davis on my bench and decided to pick up Tre'quan and figured "What the heck, CMAC never gets hurt" - oopps

1 hour ago, Buttmonkey said:

To all the McCaffrey owners - this is my fault. I had Mike Davis on my bench and decided to pick up Tre'quan and figured "What the heck, CMAC never gets hurt" - oopps

This is why I'm not a big fan of handcuffing.  It looks good during the draft, but the moment some waiver wire darling appears, the handcuff often gets cut as dead wood anyway.

If you'd just taken a flyer on a James Robinson in the first place, you'd be in a decent position to weather the McCaffrey injury.

24 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

This is why I'm not a big fan of handcuffing.  It looks good during the draft, but the moment some waiver wire darling appears, the handcuff often gets cut as dead wood anyway.

If you'd just taken a flyer on a James Robinson in the first place, you'd be in a decent position to weather the McCaffrey injury.

I get that in the case of McCaffrey's backup but what about guys like Pollard in Dallas or Mattison in Minnesota?  Each could fill in and possibly put up the same numbers as the starter they're playing behind.  

19 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

I get that in the case of McCaffrey's backup but what about guys like Pollard in Dallas or Mattison in Minnesota?  Each could fill in and possibly put up the same numbers as the starter they're playing behind.  

Those guys are almost rosterable even without owning the starter, at least in larger leagues.  Obviously if a "handcuff" has standalone value, they're worth drafting anyway, but at that point they're not really a handcuff.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Those guys are almost rosterable even without owning the starter, at least in larger leagues.  Obviously if a "handcuff" has standalone value, they're worth drafting anyway, but at that point they're not really a handcuff.

No.  I have Pollard but not Zeke in a 12 team.  He has very little value unless Zeke gets hurt.  Lotto ticket

20 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

No.  I have Pollard but not Zeke in a 12 team.  He has very little value unless Zeke gets hurt.  Lotto ticket

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Those guys are almost rosterable even without owning the starter...

1 hour ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

No.  I have Pollard but not Zeke in a 12 team.

You spelled "Yes" wrong, but I'm glad we agree.

The Panthers have placed All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey on the injured reserve list, guaranteeing he will miss at least three weeks of the season with a high-ankle sprain.3 hours ago

so I guess one more week of Davis?

It would be the epitome of foolishness to chance running him out there tomorrow when you can give him 10 extra days of healing.....and with Davis filling in adequately. 

59 minutes ago, stonewall said:

It would be the epitome of foolishness to chance running him out there tomorrow when you can give him 10 extra days of healing with their bye next week.....and with Davis filling in adequately. 

Gotta agree with this.

6 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Gotta agree with this.

No you don’t gotta agree with that statement, but you should do so, cause it would be the right move, plus he’s not going to play this Thursday. 

Thanks. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

It would be the epitome of foolishness to chance running him out there tomorrow when you can give him 10 extra days of healing with their bye next week.....and with Davis filling in adequately. 

I agree it would foolish to run him out there week 8 when they would have 10 more days before their week 9 game, but, to be clear, Carolina doesn’t have a bye next week, week 9. Their bye is week 13. 

6 minutes ago, Law said:

I agree it would foolish to run him out there week 8 when they would have 10 more days before their week 9 game, but, to be clear, Carolina doesn’t have a bye next week, week 9. Their bye is week 13. 

Thank you....and corrected in my post. Yes on 10 days extra rest, but no bye next week.

Have been simultaneously researching Mixon, who is in a similar situation and does have a bye next week.

Closed to media, I thought they couldn’t do that? And if so why wouldn’t they do that more often? 

Mike Davis is again expected to lead the Carolina backfield Thursday night with Christian McCaffrey (ankle) not likely to be activated for the contest, David Newton of ESPN reports.

Analysis: Davis may be coming off his most lackluster fantasy effort since officially taking over for McCaffrey in Week 3, but he'll draw an opponent Thursday night he's already had tremendous success against this season. When Davis and the Panthers squared off against Atlanta in Week 5, he carried the ball 16 times for 89 yards, adding in nine catches for 60 yards and a score. This could very well be the last time Davis has a lead role, however, with McCaffrey expected to be back Week 9 in Kansas City

-Rotowire

Interestingly, despite not taking over the starting job until Week 3, Mike Davis, who both Seattle and Chicago let walk, has broken the most tackles (35) in the NFL this season. He's also sitting there as the No. 9 running back in PPR formats.

2 hours ago, stonewall said:

Interestingly, despite not taking over the starting job until Week 3, Mike Davis, who both Seattle and Chicago let walk, has broken the most tackles (35) in the NFL this season. He's also sitting there as the No. 9 running back in PPR formats.

If you remember, we had a long conversation in preseason last year about the Chicago RB sitch, and I was expecting Mike Davis to take on the "bowling ball role," as I called it at the time.  I saw Montgomery as the between-the-20s RB, Cohen as the pass catcher, and Davis as the short yardage/goalline guy.  I was really surprised that he was not used according to his talents last year in Chicago, but yep, breaking tackles is definitely what Mike Davis is all about.

Just more evidence that Matt Nagy is an idiot.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

If you remember, we had a long conversation in preseason last year about the Chicago RB sitch, and I was expecting Mike Davis to take on the "bowling ball role," as I called it at the time.

Yes, I remember. I've actually always been a believer in his abilities, going back to his days as a Seahawk. To me, he always looked as good as Carson, with better receiving chops.

You might also remember a few weeks ago that I was one of the few posters who was stoked about  Mike Davis ' prospects as the CMac replacement for the Panthers, and considered him a priority add. I managed to nab him in all leagues, and have been riding him every since....albeit not so impressed last week.

39 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Yes, I remember. I've actually always been a believer in his abilities, going back to his days as a Seahawk. To me, he always looked as good as Carson, with better receiving chops.

You might also remember a few weeks ago that I was one of the few posters who was stoked about  Mike Davis ' prospects as the CMac replacement for the Panthers, and considered him a priority add. I managed to nab him in all leagues, and have been riding him every since....albeit not so impressed last week.

Yeah, I was pretty lukewarm on him after his stint in Chicago, so I missed the boat on his glorious six weeks this season--but I was clearly fooled by the incompetence of Nagy.  It appears now that Mike Davis might have even been a better RB than Montgomery, who has shown nothing but a ceiling of mediocrity--but Nagy just isn't going to admit he was wrong about Monty, I guess.

CMac ain't playing tonight. 

Missed deadline to elevate him from IR to the active roster already.