fricker66

So, I caught a native brookie on a black midge yesterday

It gave a nice little fight.  Used a 4 wt. Allen with my grandfather's Horrock-Ibbotsen reel, which I recently restored.  What a beautiful little fish.

• Like 2

Without the words “reel” and “fish”, I would have no idea what any of this meant. I thought it was a joke at first. 

• Haha 2

Just now, frank said:

Without the words “reel” and “fish”, I would have no idea what any of this meant. I thought it was a joke at first. 

Oh wait.  I thought I was on the fly fishing forum.  My bad.

Sanctuary down again?

I fly fish and bass bug in Texas. There is art to catching trout; but the bass and bluegill we have are easy.

I did angle up a big bull frog on a black gnat with a red tail. I let it go. 

1 minute ago, BiPolarBear said:

I fly fish and bass bug in Texas. There is art to catching trout; but the bass and bluegill we have are easy.

I did angle up a big bull frog on a black gnat with a red tail. I let it go. 

Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout.  

But seriously, a frog?  Were you actually fly fishing for frogs?  The people want to know!

I thought you were saying you had sex with a native of Brooklyn NY. In which case you definitely should throw it back. 

21 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout.  

But seriously, a frog?  Were you actually fly fishing for frogs?  The people want to know!

Straight up! I was fly fishing and spotted him on the far side of the creek. I cast to him several times, and finally got a reaction. I laid the line out gently, in front of him and he jumped and took the fly out of the air. I hooked him and he put up a good fight. When I landed him, the fly was in his lip, and came out easily. I released him. 

Many flies that you get in the fishing stores are actually tied in Africa.  I don't have the time (yet) to tie my own flies, so I've been searching for a reasonably priced 'Murican hand-tyer.  I found a guy who ties flies and sells them, and uses the proceeds to teach cancer kids how to tie their own flies.  Definitely worth it.  He has survived multiple brain cancer battles himself, and fly tying was a recommended therapy from one of his doctors many years ago.  So, it is a cool story.  

• Like 1

As Lord as my witness, yesterday I parsnipped a bajemmini with a rounded off crook and fulsim and landed the largest crangeist I have ever seen.  

Life has a beautiful way of fleebering within the world of specoling. Amen. :thumbsup:

If it was a fiberglass or cane 4 wt then that would be pretty neat.

What part of the country do you fish? I grew up fly fishing for Browns, brookies, rainbows, and my favorite, cutthroats.It has been a few years since I have taken any of my fly rods out. All of my gear is surf and offshore fishing now.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

If it was a fiberglass or cane 4 wt then that would be pretty neat.

What part of the country do you fish? I grew up fly fishing for Browns, brookies, rainbows, and my favorite, cutthroats.It has been a few years since I have taken any of my fly rods out. All of my gear is surf and offshore fishing now.

I fish in northern NJ in one of the few areas of the state that has a natural trout population.  I just got back into fly fishing after a 30+ year absence.  I grew up in Philly, and learned to fish in the Poconos with my Dad (and one time with my grandfather), but we also did some separate trips to the French River in Canada.  I could never get my kids to have interest, but with COVID eliminating my commute and simultaneously messing up my youngest daughter's swim practice schedule, I had free time between 5:30 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. every morning since late April, so a return to fly fishing fit nicely as a new way of gaining some zen.

Fishing was always fun, but was much less technical when with my dad -- just grab a rod from the garage and go fish.  We didn't worry about rod weights, etc, as the only concern was finding spots that "looked fishy" and trying to hit them.  I developed a pretty good sense of that and haven't lost it. The rod I'm using is new, so it is carbon, but still super light and a lot of fun to catch smaller fish.  So, I have a high-tech aerospace carbon rod, with a $15 reel from 1950.  But the balance is extraordinary.  We have to use barbless hooks in certain trout streams in NJ, so that has been new for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I fish in northern NJ in one of the few areas of the state that has a natural trout population.  I just got back into fly fishing after a 30+ year absence.  I grew up in Philly, and learned to fish in the Poconos with my Dad (and one time with my grandfather), but we also did some separate trips to the French River in Canada.  I could never get my kids to have interest, but with COVID eliminating my commute and simultaneously messing up my youngest daughter's swim practice schedule, I had free time between 5:30 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. every morning since late April, so a return to fly fishing fit nicely as a new way of gaining some zen.

Fishing was always fun, but was much less technical when with my dad -- just grab a rod from the garage and go fish.  We didn't worry about rod weights, etc, as the only concern was finding spots that "looked fishy" and trying to hit them.  I developed a pretty good sense of that and haven't lost it. The rod I'm using is new, so it is carbon, but still super light and a lot of fun to catch smaller fish.  So, I have a high-tech aerospace carbon rod, with a $15 reel from 1950.  But the balance is extraordinary.  We have to use barbless hooks in certain trout streams in NJ, so that has been new for me.

I have always wanted to catch a decent sized sea run brook trout.

We had brook trout in Wyoming and Montana but they were always on the small size(6-8"). To be able to catch them in the 12-14" range would be fun.

Brookies and yellowstone cutthroats are the best looking of the trout. Although technically a brook trout is not a trout, it is a char.

https://www.searunbrookie.org/

2 hours ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Frigging multi tasking while posting. I thought it said black midget. 

Yeah, "I caught a naive bookie on a black midget yesterday"

2 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I thought you were saying you had sex with a native of Brooklyn NY. In which case you definitely should throw it back. 

Was the black midget having sex with the Brooklynite or was it the black midget who is from Brooklyn?

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

As Lord as my witness, yesterday I parsnipped a bajemmini with a rounded off crook and fulsim and landed the largest crangeist I have ever seen.  

Life has a beautiful way of fleebering within the world of specoling. Amen. :thumbsup:

That was you ? :shocking:

I'm looking forward to October 6, which is the start of the fall stocking here.  I prefer the natives, but I'll be happy to pick up an older pudgy trout that is ripe for the taking.

27 minutes ago, HTH said:

Hey frick!

Do you fly fish or do conventional fishing?

As explained above, mostly fly fishing.  All freshwater.  

Just now, fricker66 said:

As explained above, mostly fly fishing.  All freshwater.  

Cool!

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, drobeski said:

Somehow I know there's racism involved with this thread

Untrue.  I also caught a few rainbows

18 hours ago, fricker66 said:

The native brookie says no.

:first:

19 hours ago, frank said:

Same

No trout this morning, but I did catch a nice little bass on a fly.   He bent the 4wt pretty good.   The water was so clean that he didn't even have fish smell.  

I looked real quickly and thought he said he caught his bookie banging a black midget?

:lol:

Hopefully you got video in case hate crime charges are filed.  :unsure:

The fly of the weekend was definitely a tan and orange dry fly.  I was catching fish like crazy, mostly panfish with an occasional small bass.  The fall trout season in NJ starts on 10/6.  

I was surf fishing this weekend. I caught a limit of spotted seatrout and 10-15 sharks. 

I could have caught more but I was letting my daughter reel in the smaller fish and quite a few of the fish came off.