fricker66

So, I caught a native brookie on a black midge yesterday

I caught bigger fish and more desirably species from my boat. But I have to admit, I have more fun fishing from the beach with my daughter than fishing offshore.

I am still shopping for my next boat however :ninja:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I caught bigger fish and more desirably species from my boat. But I have to admit, I have more fun fishing from the beach with my little fishing partner than offshore.

I am still shopping for my next boat however :ninja:

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, fricker66 said:

Great photo.  

Onion update?  🤔

This morning, I got on the river at 6:45 because I needed to be working by 8:15, but managed to land a nice rainbow, about 14 inches.  I also hooked into a hog, but lost it as it was in pretty fast water running away from me.  I'm guessing based on what I saw that it was a 20-incher.  I have caught 3 beautiful fish over the last week.  All released back into the water.   Two were caught on red/orange midges and the other was on an elk hair caddis.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

This morning, I got on the river at 6:45 because I needed to be working by 8:15, but managed to land a nice rainbow, about 14 inches.  I also hooked into a hog, but lost it as it was in pretty fast water running away from me.  I'm guessing based on what I saw that it was a 20-incher.  I have caught 3 beautiful fish over the last week.  All released back into the water.   Two were caught on red/orange midges and the other was on an elk hair caddis.

Nice! Why did you release the fish back into the water?

The best fish I ever ate was a trout in Vegas of all places!

1 minute ago, HTH said:

First of all, nobody in my family likes fish, so it would just be me eating it.  I just don't see the point of killing a fish just so I can eat it myself.  This pretty much makes me a strictly catch-and-release guy.   Since increasing my fly fishing frequency this year, I've literally caught hundreds of fish (most of them are small panfish, admittedly).  There have been days when I've caught 30-40 fish.  I try to keep them in or close to the water for the entire process to limit time out-of-water time...this is easy because I rarely fish from shore, and being in the water enables me to keep them low  while I unhook them.   The result is that all have been set free, and I have yet to gut/gill a fish.  That means that I haven't killed a fish (yet).   One of these days, I'll be slow on the set and a fish will swallow the hook, but that has not yet happened.  

Trout are particularly susceptible to being injured by being out of the water.  For this reason, I carry a rubber mesh net with me to cause as little injury as possible and keep them wet.  I make sure that I get some water running through the trout's gills and release them upstream, otherwise, they can sometimes get almost paralyzed and then they will die.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HTH said:

This could have been fricker reporting to work:

4 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

First of all, nobody in my family likes fish, so it would just be me eating it.  I just don't see the point of killing a fish just so I can eat it myself.  This pretty much makes me a strictly catch-and-release guy.   Since increasing my fly fishing frequency this year, I've literally caught hundreds of fish (most of them are small panfish, admittedly).  There have been days when I've caught 30-40 fish.  I try to keep them in or close to the water for the entire process to limit time out-of-water time...this is easy because I rarely fish from shore, and being in the water enables me to keep them low  while I unhook them.   The result is that all have been set free, and I have yet to gut/gill a fish.  That means that I haven't killed a fish (yet).   One of these days, I'll be slow on the set and a fish will swallow the hook, but that has not yet happened.  

Trout are particularly susceptible to being injured by being out of the water.  For this reason, I carry a rubber mesh net with me to cause as little injury as possible and keep them wet.  I make sure that I get some water running through the trout's gills and release them upstream, otherwise, they can sometimes get almost paralyzed and then they will die.

You're a kind soul...

Good luck in your future fishing endeavors!

25 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Almost all trout fisherman catch and release. In all my years of living in wyoming and montana we kept trout only a couple times and that was when camping.

Walleye on the other hand.....

:edit: and of course i keep most of the fish i catch now. Saltwater is a different story.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:50 AM, fricker66 said:

Who here owns wading boots?  Anyone?

I do but they are specifically for secks with all of yer moms. 

17 hours ago, DuckStupid said:

I also have waders. Want to borrow them? 

No thanks. I have been using hip waders since April.  It's getting a little brisk, so I am thinking of upgrading to chest waders and wading boots.  

On 10/15/2020 at 12:49 PM, MTSkiBum said:

Almost all trout fisherman catch and release. In all my years of living in wyoming and montana we kept trout only a couple times and that was when camping.

Caught a 20-incher today.  It had another fly in its mouth in addition to mine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

That is impressive, a 20" trout is pretty nice even for the trophy rivers in the rockies. Anything over 18" I was pretty happy with.

22 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

So did your mom

2 hours ago, fricker66 said:

No thanks. I have been using hip waders since April.  It's getting a little brisk, so I am thinking of upgrading to chest waders and wading boots.  

I fished and hunted in chest waders 100+ days a year.

Even though they were a local company to where I lived I was never a big fan of Sims, their feet always felt uncomfortable. I do not know how much you fish, but if you want to get 200+ days out of a pair of waders then the top of the line Orvis are the way to go. If you only fish 20-30 days a year you can probably just get a basic hundred dollar pair. The waders can always be patched and it is pretty easy to fix them.

Boots depend on your local regulations. Felt is the stickiest, but is being banned in much of the country. Since I moved to Houston I do not pay attention to what material is now the second best. But if you wade in swift water make sure to get a good pair of boots.

11 minutes ago, nospk said:

So did your mom

She may have caught a 20-inch worm as they have been eating her for 9 years now.

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I fished and hunted in chest waders 100+ days a year. Even though they were local to wear I lived I was never a big fan of the sims, their feet always felt uncomfortable. I do not know how much you fish, but if you want to get 200+ days out of a pair of waders then the top of the line Orvis are the way to go. If you only fish 20-30 days a year you can probably just get a basic hundred dollar pair. The waders can always be patched and it is pretty easy to fix them.

Boots depend on your local regulations. Felt is the stickiest, but is being banned in much of the country. Since I moved to Houston I do not pay attention to what material is now the second best. But if you wade in swift water make sure to get a good pair of boots.

I figure that I'll do 20-30 days per year in full wader -- the rest will be in hip waders.  I have looked at Orvis, Simms and Reddington.  I'm probably gonna do rubber soles to avoid all of the environmental issues.  Most of the water I've fished is moderate current.  I'm getting too old to take significant risks in the water anyhow.  I don't need to die fishing.

I've already used Flexi-seal on my hip waders.  Sealed up the holes, just like the guy on late-night-TV says!

On 9/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, fricker66 said:

It gave a nice little fight.  Used a 4 wt. Allen with my grandfather's Horrock-Ibbotsen reel, which I recently restored.  What a beautiful little fish.

The poor man's sow/scud bug uses 5 glass beads and 1 tungsten instead of 6 https://imgur.com/gallery/UNx5aLg

• Like 1

I think the fall trout stocking has dried up.  I've been two consecutive mornings to a stocked location and no trout.  It appears that I will need to stalk the native brookies again.  I have tied on a wooly bugger.  Wish me luck.

5 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I think the fall trout stocking has dried up.  I've been two consecutive mornings to a stocked location and no trout.  It appears that I will need to stalk the native brookies again.  I have tied on a wooly bugger.  Wish me luck.

Will do!

I guess the fishing starts to wane in late October.  Today, I caught two fish which were just larger than minnows.  Thank God I am not relying on this to survive.  

I guess the fishing starts to wane in late October.  Today, I caught two fish which were just larger than minnows.  Thank God I am not relying on this to survive.  

Plenty of other fish to catch this time of year. October can be a major feeding time. 

No way, I disagree completely. October fishing is great time to fish for trout, even better than the summer months.

Can anyone recommend a good fly fishing rod?

I've got a cheap one and would like to upgrade...

1 hour ago, HTH said:

Can anyone recommend a good fly fishing rod?

I've got a cheap one and would like to upgrade...

What wt rod? Do you want a fast action to make longer casts or a slow action for more fun fighting fish?

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

What wt rod? Do you want a fast action to make longer casts or a slow action for more fun fighting fish?

I have no idea as I don't have much experience fly fishing.

:unsure:

Prolly fast action for longer casts...

1 hour ago, HTH said:

I have no idea as I don't have much experience fly fishing.

:unsure:

TFO signature series is a quality cheap rod. I have used the TFO signature 1 pretty extensively, but they do not make it anymore. I assume the signature 2 is very similar.  You could also go with the rod that Bipolarbear went with. It is very similar in price and is probably similar in construction quality.

Until you get good enough at casting where you can easily cast into the backing with a doublehaul there is no point in going with an expensive fast action rod.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-signature-ii-series-fly-rod?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtdVBgq0tvJszRN_W7XTB-6VyVcA5t8Xnts1ml8YpHSag_e-zENo2hxoCuNsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

TFO signature series is a quality cheap rod. I have used the TFO signature 1 pretty extensively, but they do not make it anymore. I assume the signature 2 is very similar.  You could also go with the rod that Bipolarbear went with. It is very similar in price and is probably similar in construction quality.

Until you get good enough at casting where you can easily cast into the backing with a doublehaul there is no point in going with an expensive fast action rod.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-signature-ii-series-fly-rod?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtdVBgq0tvJszRN_W7XTB-6VyVcA5t8Xnts1ml8YpHSag_e-zENo2hxoCuNsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

What do you recommend for a matching reel?

On 10/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, HTH said:

What do you recommend for a matching reel?

Good rec from MTSkiBum.  You don't need to drop a lot of money on gear at the start.  

As far as the reel, it depends how much you want to spend.  I have asked for a Lamson Liquid reel for my birthday.  You can get them on closeout for $79 or the new model is $99.    I tried it in my local fly shop and it was a nice weight and feel.   So, while I cannot recommend it from personal use, I really liked what I saw. 

I actually have three rods because I took advantage of a BOGO rod offer from Allen Fishing, and bought a 8.5 ft 4-wt and a 9 ft. 6-wt.   They offer a lifetime warranty, so that was a big selling point.  My original rod was an old Daiwa 7.5-ft. 5 wt, from the 1960s.   I have two reels that I interchange on the 3 rods...both reels "antiques" from my father and grandfather.  I fixed them up, and they work fine.

If you'd rather not buy new stuff, there is plenty of great used fly gear on e-Bay.

If you are going to buy new,  you should try to go to the store and check it out.  I would start with something that you like the feel in your hands.

• Like 1

Allen fishing makes pretty good fly fishing gear from what I've read.  I don't have any but I do have some Six Gill gear which is from the same company.  Best time to buy is when they have their BOGO sales.

56 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Allen fishing makes pretty good fly fishing gear from what I've read.  I don't have any but I do have some Six Gill gear which is from the same company.  Best time to buy is when they have their BOGO sales.

I haven't fished a lot with the 6-wt., but the Allen 4-wt is really nice.  I will likely do most of my fishing with it over the next 20 years, God willing.   I'll use the 6-wt if I'm going to hit bigger water.  If any of my friends want to try the fly, I'll loan them the shorter 5-wt since it easier to control and cast.

1 minute ago, fricker66 said:

I haven't fished a lot with the 6-wt., but the Allen 4-wt is really nice.  I will likely do most of my fishing with it over the next 20 years, God willing.   I'll use the 6-wt if I'm going to hit bigger water.  If any of my friends want to try the fly, I'll loan them the shorter 5-wt since it easier to control and cast.

I have yet to fly fish.  I grew up trout fishing and still do it, only in the winter though.  I just use an ultra light spinning rod when I go.  Trout streams are the only open water here in the winter so I prefer to go then and there are very few others that go.  Love having a stream to myself.  Some day I may give fly fishing a try.

1 hour ago, fricker66 said:

Good rec from MTSkiBum.  You don't need to drop a lot of money on gear at the start.  

As far as the reel, it depends how much you want to spend.  I have asked for a Lamson Liquid reel for my birthday.  You can get them on closeout for $79 or the new model is $99.    I tried it in my local fly shop and it was a nice weight and feel.   So, while I cannot recommend it from personal use, I really liked what I saw. 

I actually have three rods because I took advantage of a BOGO rod offer from Allen Fishing, and bought a 8.5 ft 4-wt and a 9 ft. 6-wt.   They offer a lifetime warranty, so that was a big selling point.  My original rod was an old Daiwa 7.5-ft. 5 wt, from the 1960s.   I have two reels that I interchange on the 3 rods...both reels "antiques" from my father and grandfather.  I fixed them up, and they work fine.

If you'd rather not buy new stuff, there is plenty of great used fly gear on e-Bay.

If you are going to buy new,  you should try to go to the store and check it out.  I would start with something that you like the feel in your hands.

Thanks frick!

i just took my son trout fishing this weekend. he loves it. im not crazy about it...saltwater for me.

we tried fly fishing a bit but we kind of amateurs. did well with spinners. i got 2 good brown trout and he got a bunch of rainbows we eating tonight.

he'll probably want to upgrade his cheap fly rod and reel this christmas.