Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

Homemade pasta

Do you guys generally use "00" flour and egg recipe or do you prefer good semolina flour and water?  Do you hand-knead or use your Kitchen-Aid?  The people want to know.

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Never made it before. Much easier to just go buy some noodles from the store :dunno:

It's an entirely different food.  I'm not saying that in an insulting way.  

They say it's night and day than dry but not many have time to make it in the US. Only lazy Euro countries. They work to live as the saying goes. Here we live to work. Ain't working if you're making fancy pasta. 

4 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

They say it's night and day than dry but not many have time to make it in the US. Only lazy Euro countries. They work to live as the saying goes. Here we live to work. Ain't working if you're making fancy pasta. 

Fancy?  Nothing could be further than the truth than to call homemade pasta "fancy".

18 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

It's an entirely different food.  I'm not saying that in an insulting way.  

Oh I’m sure it is. It’s just I don’t have a pasta machine and don’t really have much time to make it. Always wanted to though. Made homemade pizza dough a few times. Waiting to get one of the attachments for the machine to make the pasta 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Waiting to get one of the attachments for the machine to make the pasta 

The Kitchen Aid Pasta roller attachment is life-changing.  

1 minute ago, fricker66 said:

Fancy?  Nothing could be further than the truth than to call homemade pasta "fancy".

Spagettios or homemade pasta. Wow, I guess you're right. Spagettios are kind of fancy those little rings. Try making those buddy. 

1 minute ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Spagettios or homemade pasta. Wow, I guess you're right. Spagettios are kind of fancy those little rings. Try making those buddy. 

You have just proven my point.  Unless you have the same automated extruder on which Chef Boyardee likely has a patent and distribution control, it would be almost impossible to make Spaghetti-O's at home.

9 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

And we wonder why these guys don't drop in more often. 

11 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

The Kitchen Aid Pasta roller attachment is life-changing.  

Thats what we are waiting on. Havent had the need to get it cause we havent decided to try making our own but I do want to at some point.

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Thats what we are waiting on. Havent had the need to get it cause we havent decided to try making our own but I do want to at some point.

I have the attachment for making zuccini pasta. Works well. Also the cheese grader which is awesome. Use that one all the time.

Just now, FlyinHeadlock said:

I have the attachment for making zuccini pasta. Works well. Also the cheese grader which is awesome. Use that one all the time.

Im sure they do. I just havent had the need to go buy them yet. Figure I might just ask for it for christmas from my parents instead of actually getting it myself. 

10 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

And we wonder why these guys don't drop in more often. 

'Saul Good Man.

1 hour ago, fricker66 said:

Do you guys generally use "00" flour and egg recipe or do you prefer good semolina flour and water?  Do you hand-knead or use your Kitchen-Aid?  The people want to know.

Bread Flour.

Food processor and hand kneading. I may try a kitchen aid some day to do the kneading, it would be easier.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Bread Flour.

Food processor and hand kneading. I may try a kitchen aid some day to do the kneading, it would be easier.

I use the Kitchen Aid to knead when I'm busy doing something else.  I know that's a mortal sin to some Italians, but it does save some effort.  The Kitchen Aid roller is the big difference-maker.  I hand-cut my pasta, but to hell with using a crank roller when the Kitchen Aid rolls it perfectly and gives me a free hand with which to do other things (insert tasteless FFT humor here).

Never attempted making pasta but I do make an Italian Sausage/Beef marinara sauce quite often.

I use bread or all purpose flour (whatever I have in the cupboard) and egg(s) with the KitchenAide stand mixer. I have the pasta roller/cutter attachment too. 

The difference between fresh and a box of pasta is like night and day. I'd like to give the 00 a try and see if there's a difference there. 

I also want to get the meat grinder attachment and grind my own meats for meatballs and burgers...

I barely have time and energy to cook. I guess you teleworkers are enjoying yourselves. Me, I'm putting my meals in Crock Pots or eating crackers and cheese or salad or cashews for dinner. Maybe when I retire I'll have more time to find out the difference between fresh and dry store bought pasta.

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

I barely have time and energy to cook. I guess you teleworkers are enjoying yourselves. Me, I'm putting my meals in Crock Pots or eating crackers and cheese or salad or cashews for dinner. Maybe when I retire I'll have more time to find out the difference between fresh and dry store bought pasta.

You could have made 5 noodles the time it took to complain online about not being able to make 5 noodles.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, Djgb13 said:

Im sure they do. I just havent had the need to go buy them yet. Figure I might just ask for it for christmas from my parents instead of actually getting it myself. 

😂

On 9/21/2020 at 5:05 PM, fricker66 said:

I use the Kitchen Aid to knead when I'm busy doing something else.  I know that's a mortal sin to some Italians, but it does save some effort.  The Kitchen Aid roller is the big difference-maker.  I hand-cut my pasta, but to hell with using a crank roller when the Kitchen Aid rolls it perfectly and gives me a free hand with which to do other things (insert tasteless FFT humor here).

We have the attachment for our kitchen aid that does the dough mixing. We just never use it. 

6 hours ago, nospk said:

Bier Master grows his own noodles

I do not do much gardening (fig tree, tomatoes, herbs, kafer lime tree, peach tree, apricot tree) but I was a sous chef for an Italian restaurant about 15 yrs ago. No noodle trees.  Made a decent amount of pastas. 

ap flour.   Used 00 for pizza dough. Do not make pasta at home often now. Very little time to prep.

19 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I do not do much gardening (fig tree, tomatoes, herbs, kafer lime tree, peach tree, apricot tree) but I was a sous chef for an Italian restaurant about 15 yrs ago. No noodle trees.  Made a decent amount of pastas. 

ap flour.   Used 00 for pizza dough. Do not make pasta at home often now. Very little time to prep.

I just used regular flour when we made pizza dough. Can’t remember if it was self rising or all purpose. But it wasn’t anything fancy 

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

My girl friend used AP flour to make pasta with a kitchen aide a couple of weeks ago.  It was probably not as good as yours but it was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Favorites were/are pappardelle, agnolotti, bucatini, spatzle, casarecce, gamelli

37 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Favorites were/are pappardelle, agnolotti, bucatini, spatzle, casarecce, gamelli

I love bucatini and spatzle!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

I love bucatini and spatzle!!!!

I still make spaetzle now and then.  Around this time last year I hosted an Oktoberfest.  Decided not to make it...just too much work for a lot of people.

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I still make spaetzle now and then.  Around this time last year I hosted an Oktoberfest.  Decided not to make it...just too much work for a lot of people.

I get that.  It is great for two.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 5-Points said:

I also want to get the meat grinder attachment and grind my own meats for meatballs and burgers...

I have the meat grinder and the sausage attachment.  I don't use either as often as I thought I would.  

23 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

You could have made 5 noodles the time it took to complain online about not being able to make 5 noodles.

Okay young spud, at my age, working full-time for the past 6 months while everyone else is home cashing checks, making bread and opening Amazon packages, see how you'd feel!

9 hours ago, fricker66 said:

I have the meat grinder and the sausage attachment.  I don't use either as often as I thought I would.  

Your mom does. 

55 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Your mom does. 

Classy.  I’m sure this joke was a laugher in junior high.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Okay young spud, at my age, working full-time for the past 6 months while everyone else is home cashing checks, making bread and opening Amazon packages, see how you'd feel!

Listen you old dried out tater tot, you know damn well you could create circumstances to make homemade pasta if you truly wanted. I work full time as well, still cut my big yard and maintain it. Everyone else is using illegals around here. If I wanted homemade pasta I could still tell my wife to make it. I created that circumstance. I am a kind person though and choose to give her a break.         

1 hour ago, fricker66 said:

Classy.  I’m sure this joke was a laugher in junior high.  

Stick around. 

12 hours ago, fricker66 said:

Why is that? No time, no difference from store bought....?

That was one I thought I'd get some use out of. 

2 hours ago, peenie said:

I work full time. I still have weekends. :dunno: