Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

My onions are re-growing

I planted some onions in the spring, they grew quite a bit and the seemingly died.  However, in the cooler weather, they have started to re-grow.  Anyone else?

• Like 1

That's really cool.  In my own experience, I find...that...onions...and other...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fricker66 said:

I planted some onions in the spring, they grew quite a bit and the seemingly died.  However, in the cooler weather, they have started to re-grow.  Anyone else?

Grandma grew them in her garden. Havent grown them myself. I want to grow some peppers (jalapenos, serranos, banana, hatch green, etc) but I dont know how well they would grow here in SC

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Grandma grew them in her garden. Havent grown them myself. I want to grow some peppers (jalapenos, serranos, banana, hatch green, etc) but I dont know how well they would grow here in SC

It's serano season here in NJ.  My plants are loaded right now.  

3 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

It's serano season here in NJ.  My plants are loaded right now.  

Love serranos. Got a bit more of a kick than jalapenos which I can eat like candy

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Love serranos. Got a bit more of a kick than jalapenos which I can eat like candy

But not even close when it comes to flavor. :nono:

Just now, Utilit99 said:

But not even close when it comes to flavor. :nono:

Eh I like the taste of serranos more than I do jalapeños :dunno: 

I don't like sweet onions. Reminds me of the smell of my fat college roomate with diabetes type II. God did that fvker stink. The fumes followed him around like that Snoopy dust cloud kid.

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Eh I like the taste of serranos more than I do jalapeños :dunno: 

Interesting. I think in my place, we go through about 7+ jalapenos a week for the 2 of us. We only buy serranos for accents on some dishes. Jalapenos are probably my favorite peppers (along with the right dishes that is) out there. I also buy cayenne at certain online vendors to get the higher Scoville scale cayenne for a bunch of dishes.

5 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I don't like sweet onions. Reminds me of the smell of my fat college roomate with diabetes type II. God did that fvker stink. The fumes followed him around like that Snoopy dust cloud kid.

Pigpenjr. 

19 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Interesting. I think in my place, we go through about 7+ jalapenos a week for the 2 of us. We only buy serranos for accents on some dishes. Jalapenos are probably my favorite peppers (along with the right dishes that is) out there. I also buy cayenne at certain online vendors to get the higher Scoville scale cayenne for a bunch of dishes.

Hatch green chilies are even better. I can’t really buy too many cause wife can’t take spicy foods while I love it. Down here we just dont get a lot of hatch green chilies like we did in San Antonio 

16 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Hatch green chilies are even better. I can’t really buy too many cause wife can’t take spicy foods while I love it. Down here we just dont get a lot of hatch green chilies like we did in San Antonio 

I overdose on those whenever we go to New Mexico. Went last year and had them with 80% of the meals.

19 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I overdose on those whenever we go to New Mexico. Went last year and had them with 80% of the meals.

Lol I don’t blame you. Loved the Hatch Green Chili festival they had in SA. Swear when those are in season I go nuts in them. Found some in Charleston before we moved and had to make hatch green chili stew with them. Delicious 

9 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Do you have before and after pictures? I’m skeptical.

It's all about trust.

17 hours ago, Mookz said:

How about now?  🤔

Yes.  I would say about 1/4 - 1/2 inch for most of the plants overnight.  

13 hours ago, fricker66 said:

Yes.  I would say about 1/4 - 1/2 inch for most of the plants overnight.  

We are going to need for you to put up a web cam so that we can monitor the onions. We don't want this turning into Attack of the Killer Onions. 

As for me, my onions are swinging about mid-thigh level.

At this rate, one day I'll be able to just throw them over my shoulder like a gunny sack.

• Haha 1

I've never tried (or needed to), but can you freeze whole onions? 🤔

And Serranos >>>> Jalapeños - all day.

Jalapeños do have a purpose - they're what you use when you can't find Serranos.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I've never tried (or needed to), but can you freeze whole onions? 🤔

And Serranos >>>> Jalapeños - all day.

Jalapeños do have a purpose - they're what you use when you can't find Serranos.

I endorse this. 

Mookz requested an onion update in the trout thread, so here you go.  

As of 2:00 p.m. EDT today, I can report that 17 onion plants have grown taller than 6" on this rebirth.  There are 7 onions that are showing limited growth of less than 6, but are still hopeful.  There are 3 bulbs that are currently above ground and not exhibiting growth but are turning green, which suggests that they may sprout shortly.    

Thank you for caring.  

1 minute ago, fricker66 said:

Mookz requested an onion update in the trout thread, so here you go.  

As of 2:00 p.m. EDT today, I can report that 17 onion plants have grown taller than 6" on this rebirth.  There are 7 onions that are showing limited growth of less than 6, but are still hopeful.  There are 3 bulbs that are currently above ground and not exhibiting growth but are turning green, which suggests that they may sprout shortly.    

Thank you for caring.  

Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Forum moderator, could we please sticky this?  :mellow:

• Haha 1

Growth is definitely slowing now.  I'm waiting for them to start wilting so that I can dry them out.  

4 hours ago, fricker66 said:

Growth is definitely slowing now.  I'm waiting for them to start wilting so that I can dry them out.  

Hey that's what Phillybear does with bodies. Hmmmmmm 🤔

3 hours ago, kutulu said:

There are many layers to this thread 

It brings tears to my eyes.

53 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It brings tears to my eyes.

Lettuce pray it gets better

On 9/21/2020 at 6:14 PM, Djgb13 said:

Lol I don’t blame you. Loved the Hatch Green Chili festival they had in SA. Swear when those are in season I go nuts in them. Found some in Charleston before we moved and had to make hatch green chili stew with them. Delicious 

Moved from Charleston?