Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

My onions are re-growing

46 minutes ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Moved from Charleston?

Yea. Had to move cause of PA school 

• Haha 1

The onion crop is starting to wilt again.  It is almost harvest time.  Let's pray for a good harvest. 

6 hours ago, fricker66 said:

The onion crop is starting to wilt again.  It is almost harvest time.  Let's pray for a good harvest. 

Perhaps a virgin sacrifice?  🤔

On 10/20/2020 at 9:08 PM, Mookz said:

Perhaps a virgin sacrifice?  🤔

I contemplated it, but alas, we have no volcanoes in NJ.  

I planted some garlic last week.  It is already growing.  I figure that I will get some garlic scapes in the spring and then some home grown garlic.  It's a thrill every day.

38 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I planted some garlic last week.  It is already growing.  I figure that I will get some garlic scapes in the spring and then some home grown garlic.  It's a thrill every day.

I planted garlic earlier this year and it died back, and is now re-growing. 

Global warming, I guess. 

8 hours ago, fricker66 said:

First frost/freeze on Friday night.  I fear for my onions.

Ts and Ps to you, sir.  :(

• Like 1

The onions have been harvested and are curing.  I was hoping they'd be ready by Thanksgiving, but I think I'll wait a bit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Skunks like garlic? Who knew?

I guess they figure "why not?  what, I'll have bad breath too?"  :dunno:

The most-accepted Chicago meaning is a word that comes from the Algonquin language: “shikaakwa,” meaning “striped skunk” or “onion” According to early explorers, the lakes and streams around Chicago were full of wild onions, leeks, and ramps. 🧅 

On 10/26/2020 at 1:21 PM, fricker66 said:

We planted some garlic and shallots in the late fall as well, and they are sprouting. 👍

On 1/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, t.j said:

We planted some garlic and shallots in the late fall as well, and they are sprouting. 👍

The garlic is out of hand in my garden.  I am probably going to harvest my garlic scapes in the next few days.  👊

The onions have grown back again.  I have harvested all of last year's garlic.  Got some great heads.  Thanks for asking.  

18 hours ago, fricker66 said:

Got some great head.  Thanks for asking.  

Tell your mom I said hello :wub:

I have one set of onions growing back this spring.  I thought I had harvested, but must have missed a few.  Also some garlic.  Lettttt'ssss gooooooo!

Just now, Gladiators said:

I could use an onion for some hash browns tomorrow morning.

Where do you live?  Delivery may be pricey given all of the supply chain issues.

I have some onions I never harvested last fall and just left in the ground. Have not checked that closely yet. No garlic.  

I am quite sure that you are all eager for an onion update.  I harvested most of my onions last year, and the few that regrew are rather disappointing.  The whole experience of onion growing has lost its lustre.  I will be buying Vidalias going forward.  The garlic crop this year was also a little light, but I am not ready to give up on them, and will replant in the next few days.   

I had an outstanding year with tomatoes, several varieties of peppers, kirby cucumbers, eggplant, asparagus and just about every herb you could imagine.  I have made about 8 batches of refrigerator pickles since early July.  In terms of herbs, I have bumper crops of rosemary, sage (3 varieties), thyme, lemon thyme, curly parsley, Italian parsley, sweet basil, globe basil, cilantro, tarragon, Mexican tarragon, oregano (perrenial), and mint.

It's awesome, right?

We are overloaded with cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchini again.  I just don't get it.  Every year my wife plants all this sh1t and we eat maybe 1/3, then try and give 1/3 away but nobody really wants it, and then compost the rest.  The herbs I get, very handy having basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme etc all in the backyard to take whenever you need it, but why do we need 10 tomato plants when one produces enough food for us to eat.

We tried to grow tomatoes this year and failed miserably. They got a fockin ton of sun, maybe too much? Tried to water them pretty frequently, is too much water a problem? I dunno, I suck at this 

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

We are overloaded with cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchini again.  I just don't get it.  Every year my wife plants all this sh1t and we eat maybe 1/3, then try and give 1/3 away but nobody really wants it, and then compost the rest.  The herbs I get, very handy having basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme etc all in the backyard to take whenever you need it, but why do we need 10 tomato plants when one produces enough food for us to eat.

Hey gutter.   I have 2 tomato plants and 4 cucumber plants.  The tomato plants frankly do not produce enough for us, but the cukes are overwhelmingly productive.   2 seems to be the magic number for tomato plants, though.  It seems that any time I plant more than that, the deer invade.   I plant peppers around the 2 tomato plants, and have my dog piss in the area in front of the garden and the deer seem to stay away. 

35 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Hey gutter.   I have 2 tomato plants and 4 cucumber plants.  The tomato plants frankly do not produce enough for us, but the cukes are overwhelmingly productive.   2 seems to be the magic number for tomato plants, though.  It seems that any time I plant more than that, the deer invade.   I plant peppers around the 2 tomato plants, and have my dog piss in the area in front of the garden and the deer seem to stay away. 

Then the dog piss seeps into your plants.  Sounds like guttermutt's type of thing. I bet he would have his boyfreind "water" the plants too. 😆

41 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

We have like 10 of each, and my wife had me build a trellace for the cucumbers so they grow up it, and produce even more.

I've been hollowing them out and focking them as we just don't know what to do with them anymore.

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Then the dog piss seeps into your plants.  Sounds like guttermutt's type of thing. I bet he would have his boyfreind "water" the plants too. 😆

It's a raised bed, and a little dog.  It's unlikely that the urine is getting there in any significant quantity.

19 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

We have like 10 of each, and my wife had me build a trellace for the cucumbers so they grow up it, and produce even more.

I've been hollowing them out and focking them as we just don't know what to do with them anymore.

My cukes are in a raised cart that I built.  It has two compartments that hold about 6 cubic feet of soil each.  I plant 2 cuke plants in each bed along with parsley and basil, which are "friendly" to the cuke plants.   I built a trellis of sorts which goes up about 6 feet above the soil surface, constructed of wood with a retired fly line making a mesh that the cuke vines can climb.