Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

This Week I Splurged On __________________

Husqvarna 525LK String Trimmer $399. Powerful and can handle all the attachments. I was going to get their most powerful new one but it does not have the attachment option. I want to trim hedges, dig trenches, edge. It has like 17 effin attachments but they are expensive. It even has a blower attachment and a god damn chainsaw. Nowhere near as powerful as the real thing but good enough for small jobs. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Your mom. 

That's splurged.  :ninja:

• Haha 1

My game room. Transforming the upstairs into one. Bought a couch, tv, tv stand, and some lights. Will be spending more next month. Wanting a pinball machine but I can’t find a nice one less than $4K 

• Like 1

Bathroom remodeling.  Already bought the toilet.  We just bought a new sink/vanity, tile for the floors and wall, a new pocket door, and I have found a company that will etch and spray cast iron tubs.

Gotta have something to keep us busy once the weather turns.

Not really splurged since it's a low-end brand but yesterday I picked up a 55 inch Hisense H9G TV.  It's for the store since I'm working open til close during Covid I'm kinda setting up a living room.  TV, recliner, lamp etc.  That's another thing I just got was a Taotronics LED floor lamp.  It's pretty slick.  The TV seems alright too.

• Like 1

I usually buy something marginally expensive every month or so. I was looking at Joe Rogan's new home gym in Austin. I want his workout bench now. It's bad ass but $1200. I could get it but we are getting a pool and patio and a bunch of crap I have to do like burying a powerline and cutting down trees. Have to chill out for a few months. Burying that powerline is going to be painful. 3-4K.

22 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I usually buy something marginally expensive every month or so. I was looking at Joe Rogan's new home gym in Austin. I want his workout bench now. It's bad ass but $1200. I could get it but we are getting a pool and patio and a bunch of crap I have to do like burying a powerline and cutting down trees. Have to chill out for a few months. Burying that powerline is going to be painful. 3-4K.

I can’t justify to the wife me spending $4K on something like that. Exactly why I haven’t bought a pinball machine yet :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I can’t justify to the wife me spending $4K on something like that. Exactly why I haven’t bought a pinball machine yet :lol: 

If it's something you are going to use an enjoy I justify it for myself. I will use the bench almost daily. The string trimmer, I have a big yard and my mom needs help a state over. Much easier to transport the trimmer with attachments than all my equipment. The pool, it's a lap pool. I can't run as much as I use to and I love swimming. Was an expert swimmer in the Marines. 

If I can justify it I will get it. I could even justify a pinball machine if I was into it. It's going to appreciate the rarer it is right? It's an investment like buying a rare car. In 10-20 yrs that MF'er will be worth 5-10X's as much. Look at it like a fine piece of art or elite car in the garage. 

8 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

If it's something you are going to use an enjoy I justify it for myself. I will use the bench almost daily. The string trimmer, I have a big yard and my mom needs help a state over. Much easier to transport the trimmer with attachments than all my equipment. The pool, it's a lap pool. I can't run as much as I use to and I love swimming. Was an expert swimmer in the Marines. 

If I can justify it I will get it. I could even justify a pinball machine if I was into it. It's going to appreciate the rarer it is right? It's an investment like buying a rare car. In 10-20 yrs that MF'er will be worth 5-10X's as much. Look at it like a fine piece of art or elite car in the garage. 

My wife would just tell me get a gym membership. It’s cheaper lol. Told her I will get a pinball machine but I’ll wait at least til I’m done with PA school. Til then, I’ll make do with buying a pool table which aren’t as expensive as I thought. 

Would love to have a home gym but don’t have room for one in this house. Not unless I want to turn my garage into one 

Been making monthly and quarterly bonuses.  Thinking about a new tv.  Thinking about a new car (maybe a cpo). Really do not need either.

20 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

My wife would just tell me get a gym membership. It’s cheaper lol. Told her I will get a pinball machine but I’ll wait at least til I’m done with PA school. Til then, I’ll make do with buying a pool table which aren’t as expensive as I thought. 

Would love to have a home gym but don’t have room for one in this house. Not unless I want to turn my garage into one 

Not hard to sell the sizzle on a pinball machine. Show her the appreciation values. How much is say the Adams Family Values pinball machine worth from when it was released compared to now. I bet that one is worth a lot. It's art. It will get rarer and rarer over time and will always go up in value. No matter what, you can sell it. It's not going to be worth less in 10 yrs. 

Cheese. 

It's always cheese. The Chinese don't use diary to cook so it's hard to find cheese over here and when you do, it's way overpriced. And the selection is so limited. The only place to get cheese is Walmart and there use to be five or six kinds by three companies, now there are two selections by the same company. We had a swiss, a brie, edan, camembert .... gone. I have two choices now: cheddar and colby. 

And then, the time before last, there wasn't any cheese at all! I panicked it would be gone for good, so many things I like disappear, but fortunately, those two cheeses were back last time. 

we can buy other things from the internet but cheese is something that'll spoil and so we hesitate to do so.

2 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Not hard to sell the sizzle on a pinball machine. Show her the appreciation values. How much is say the Adams Family Values pinball machine worth from when it was released compared to now. I bet that one is worth a lot. It's art. It will get rarer and rarer over time and will always go up in value. No matter what, you can sell it. It's not going to be worth less in 10 yrs. 

Honestly not sure. Very hard to find any pinball machines around here. I want something though that’s got more bright colors. 

Something like this. Got the bright purples, greens, reds, etc. Game room is gonna be like 80s style arcade looking. Gonna be dark with neon lights around. Wanted to build the bar for it myself but I’ve got ZERO experience with woodworking like that so I might have to get someone else to build me one. Didnt realize pinball machines appreciate in value though. Thought they depreciated

https://www.gameroom-goodies.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-machine-pro/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTOr1DleDvJPjhYsIk4Gxx_xfsgyv9XBtPiTZ3FftkgAqkHSZErkSXxoCR_UQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

I usually splurge on travel. Since that is not an option, since Corona happened, I have instead splurged on...

Laser eye surgery

New phone (Samsung galaxy s20)

New tablet (galaxy tab s6)

Nintendo switch lite and a dozen games.

8 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Honestly not sure. Very hard to find any pinball machines around here. I want something though that’s got more bright colors. 

Something like this. Got the bright purples, greens, reds, etc. Game room is gonna be like 80s style arcade looking. Gonna be dark with neon lights around. Wanted to build the bar for it myself but I’ve got ZERO experience with woodworking like that so I might have to get someone else to build me one. Didnt realize pinball machines appreciate in value though. Thought they depreciated

https://www.gameroom-goodies.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-machine-pro/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTOr1DleDvJPjhYsIk4Gxx_xfsgyv9XBtPiTZ3FftkgAqkHSZErkSXxoCR_UQAvD_BwE

I know someone who does this for a side job. He fixes them, has like 10 of them. He loves it. They go up in value. Takes a decade or more but if you sit on it, a good one with some cultural flare tied to a movie or show it will always go up in value.

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I usually splurge on travel. Since that is not an option, since Corona happened, I have instead splurged on...

Laser eye surgery

New phone (Samsung galaxy s20)

New tablet (galaxy tab s6)

Nintendo switch lite and a dozen games.

Wish I could spend money on travel. Can’t do too much of it. Even though we are going to Asheville this weekend, my exam schedule changed so now I got two exams Monday. Will just have to study at night at the cabin. Jealous that you’re over near a lot of cool places to travel. Would love to go to Singapore 

Just now, FlyinHeadlock said:

I know someone who does this for a side job. He fixes them, has like 10 of them. He loves it. They go up in value. Takes a decade or more but if you sit on it, a good one with some cultural flare tied to a movie or show it will always go up in value.

Oh yea I’d definitely be keeping it for that long. Hell, doubt I’d even sell it. Before I get one though, wife wants a new car. Her current one has been giving us issues and been having to keep putting money into it to fix it. Just dropped $1200 this past weekend cause the coolant was leaking into the electrical system. Might end up just leasing one for her

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Wish I could spend money on travel. Can’t do too much of it. Even though we are going to Asheville this weekend, my exam schedule changed so now I got two exams Monday. Will just have to study at night at the cabin. Jealous that you’re over near a lot of cool places to travel. Would love to go to Singapore 

Last trip was February, just as covid was breaking. Did Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap) Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Sri Lanka.

Was supposed to meet my family in Turkey this summer, do a cruise of the islands, and then Greece. Then they'd go home, and my wife and I were gonna cross into Italy, go up the boot, and into France, ending in Paris, which my wife really wants to see. Covid focked that plan up.

Sat here all summer holiday doing nothing.

We have a week off next week for national holiday. Not even going to try to travel domestically here in China over a holiday. Prices are jacked up, everything will be ridiculously crowded, and you need a covid test to wipe your ass.

This sh!t better be over by our January holiday. I can't take an entire year of sitting in China. This place is merely supposed to be the place I make money 9 months of the year so I can travel the other 3.

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Last trip was February, just as covid was breaking. Did Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap) Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Sri Lanka.

Was supposed to meet my family in Turkey this summer, do a cruise of the islands, and then Greece. Then they'd go home, and my wife and I were gonna cross into Italy, go up the boot, and into France, ending in Paris, which my wife really wants to see. Covid focked that plan up.

Sat here all summer holiday doing nothing.

We have a week off next week for national holiday. Not even going to try to travel domestically here in China over a holiday. Prices are jacked up, everything will be ridiculously crowded, and you need a covid test to wipe your ass.

This sh!t better be over by our January holiday. I can't take an entire year of sitting in China. This place is merely supposed to be the place I make money 9 months of the year so I can travel the other 3.

I bet the food was fantastic. Would love to try the different regions foods. 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Oh yea I’d definitely be keeping it for that long. Hell, doubt I’d even sell it. Before I get one though, wife wants a new car. Her current one has been giving us issues and been having to keep putting money into it to fix it. Just dropped $1200 this past weekend cause the coolant was leaking into the electrical system. Might end up just leasing one for her

You have to deal with needs first. You should get one though. Use this time to do research. I would focus though on a themed one. Pay the coin and get an Indiana Jones, Knight Rider....whatever. Just something that is more than a pinball machine that people associate it with their childhood. Hold on to it for 5 years then sell it. Make a profit then get another one. Hell, I may do this myself. Not going to make you rich but could support always having a cool pinball machine in the house.   

1 minute ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

You have to deal with needs first. You should get one though. Use this time to do research. I would focus though on a themed one. Pay the coin and get an Indiana Jones, Knight Rider....whatever. Just something that is more than a pinball machine that people associate it with their childhood. Hold on to it for 5 years then sell it. Make a profit then get another one. Hell, I may do this myself. Not going to make you rich but could support always having a cool pinball machine in the house.   

Yea like I said it’ll be a few years before I get one since I found out how expensive they were. Was thinking they were less than a grand so i was quite surprised. But yea, I planned on getting a themed one. Like those better than just a random kind. Those, from what I’ve seen, are just bland and boring looking compared to the themed ones 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I bet the food was fantastic. Would love to try the different regions foods. 

Yeah. Usually for the first few days, I eat a lot of local food. Then I get sick of it and go for western food (since I live in a place where there isn't much good western food).

If food is your thing, I'd say Thailand and Vietnam were two of my favorites. Real Vietnamese pho is vastly superior to pho back home. Same for Thai food.

Sri Lanka food kinda sucked.

Singapore and maysia are great because you get a fusion of Chinese, Arabic, and Indian.

Bhutanese food was interesting. Very spicy. Yak is the main meat. My brother and I had Indian there (India is right across the border) and I've never had the runs or gas worse in my life.

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. Usually for the first few days, I eat a lot of local food. Then I get sick of it and go for western food (since I live in a place where there isn't much good western food).

If food is your thing, I'd say Thailand and Vietnam were two of my favorites. Real Vietnamese pho is vastly superior to pho back home. Same for Thai food.

Sri Lanka food kinda sucked.

Singapore and maysia are great because you get a fusion of Chinese, Arabic, and Indian.

Bhutanese food was interesting. Very spicy. Yak is the main meat. My brother and I had Indian there (India is right across the border) and I've never had the runs or gas worse in my life.

I DO love me some spice. I can only imagine how much better the Pho and the Thai Curry is there. They believe in making everything from scratch. That’s what would be my main thing to do while there besides sightseeing. Were the beaches decent at all there?

1 hour ago, lickin_starfish said:

I almost splurged on a 6.5" Taurus Raging Judge, but I couldn't justify spending $1300 on it. Maybe someday I'll get it.

I have one that my grandpa gave me. I have never even shot it and it was given to me 6 years ago.

I am still watching craigslist and fb marketplace everyday for my next boat. No splurging until that happens.

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

(since I live in a place where there isn't much good western food).

:unsure:

sigh

2 hours ago, Mookz said:

Cashews  😬

I may have a problem.  :(

If you go to get help and the Doctor shows you a picture of a cashew and asks, "What does this look like to you?"...Remember not to say Newbie's pemus. 

• Haha 1

Bought a Rolex Batman on the Jubilee band.  AD only got in 4 this year and I got one.  If i were to sell it today I'd make about 10K on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Olight has a flash sale on the 24th . I'll pick up 5 or 6 of there lights

which one u looking at?  why they so much better than the much cheaper LED lights?  

Splurging on something is cool if you can justify it. Couple decades ago I bought an original Radiohead album art print. Think the artist is Stanley something..meh. Totally could not justify it. It's like 20 yrs old now and worth a nice chunk of coin. I have it frame sitting in a dark closet. Might sell it but it's worth about 10X more than I paid. The Stanley artist signed it in pencil. Weird piece of art. Doesn't belong in my house.