Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Tri Tip is better than Ribeye

13 hours ago, Bert said:

If you like choice or select chewy fat over less flavorful tender beef okay.  It is a matter of taste.  Prime or wague is far superior to skirt in my opinion. 

To be fair I have never had wague or prime fajita.  Maybe it is better.  

I've had Wagyu, not a fan. At a certain point excessive fat is exactly that - excessive. When the fat content overtakes the beef part of a steak as the star - you've missed. 

I've said before, Chuck Eye steaks are the most underrated cut of beef out there. I'd take one any day over a filet mignon too. 

13 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ve had some great expensive steaks in my life. I remember the great burgers I‘ve had more. 

Hmmmm. Now that I think about it 1 of each stand out for me. A burger in a little hole in the wall in St. Augustine and a smoked filet mignon in New Orleans. 

I’ve never seen a Tri-tip on the menu at a high end steakhouse.   But ribeyes are always there.   Must be a reason.  

22 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I’ve never seen a Tri-tip on the menu at a high end steakhouse.   But ribeyes are always there.   Must be a reason.  

I pray it stays that way. 

Brisket and skirt steak use to be the same - brisket in fact was damn near thrown out, discarded. Then the poor folk figured out how to cook it - became prized. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Brisket and skirt steak use to be the same - brisket in fact was damn near thrown out, discarded. Then the poor folk figured out how to cook it - became prized. 

No kidding!  I ate a lot of skirt steak as a kid because it was the cheapest thing my grandmother could find in the meat case.  

11 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I pray it stays that way. 

Black cooking is based on cooking tough fatty meats forever, then taking the juice and cooking tough vegetables forever.  White folk got all the quick cooking food. 

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Black cooking is based on cooking tough fatty meats forever, then taking the juice and cooking tough vegetables forever.  White folk got all the quick cooking food. 

Cause we got jobs.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

In the mid 19th century, a large influx of Czech/German immigrants landed in Central Texas. In addition to establishing such places as New Braunfels and Fredericksburg, these early settlers cultivated the art of slow cooking tougher meats - for hours on end. 

Texas bbq's roots (esp. brisket & sausage) go all the way back to the Czech and Germans. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

European peasants would utilize “lesser,” cheaper cuts and use braising and stewing methods to tenderize and flavor.

i think these cuts have been commonly used by lower income populations around the globe.  Through evolution we see them in premier kitchens

19 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

In the mid 19th century, a large influx of Czech/German immigrants landed in Central Texas. In addition to establishing such places as New Braunfels and Fredericksburg, these early settlers cultivated the art of slow cooking tougher meats - for hours on end. 

Texas bbq's roots (esp. brisket & sausage) go all the way back to the Czech and Germans. 

Are you a Nutritional Anthropologist? :lol:  J/K  You are spot on, sir.

So, can I skip this entire thread and simply confirm that a talented cook can make horsemeat taste better than a high-end cut of beef?

13 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

So, can I skip this entire thread and simply confirm that a talented cook can make horsemeat taste better than a high-end cut of beef?

.... vs an untalented cook.

also, talented cook will also elevate the higher cut

31 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

.... vs an untalented cook.

also, talented cook will also elevate the higher cut

Back in Inchon,  Korea we had a guy who tried to elevate some meat. He thought with the just the right amount of spices and if he cooked it long enough he could make it work. He was arrogant. He went too far, over seasoned it. He sent 16 of our guys to the latrine that night. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Back in Inchon,  Korea we had a guy who tried to elevate some meat. He thought with the just the right amount of spices and if he cooked it long enough he could make it work. He was arrogant. He went too far, over seasoned it. He sent 16 of our guys to the latrine that night. 

Serenity Now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Are you a Nutritional Anthropologist? :lol:  J/K  You are spot on, sir.

A Texas BBQologist at least anyway. :D

Just now, Cruzer said:

A Texas BBQologist at least anyway. :D

Low and slow or fast and hot? Had a buddy there with a wood burning grill that’s tried it both ways because apparently there’s pit masters that swear by each way 

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Low and slow or fast and hot? Had a buddy there with a wood burning grill that’s tried it both ways because apparently there’s pit masters that swear by each way 

I'm more of a low and slow guy - my preferred smoking temp is 250* - 275*. 

But I can appreciate the hot and fast guys. I'm just never in a hurry and the long cook is half the enjoyment for me. 

24 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Depends upon the cut, and what we are trying to accomplish.

31 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Depends upon the cut, and what we are trying to accomplish.

It was for brisket. My buddy in SA wanted to do competitions so he was trying out different ways guys at the competitions cook their brisket 

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

It was for brisket. My buddy in SA wanted to do competitions so he was trying out different ways guys at the competitions cook their brisket 

ultimately we want that at low temp for a decent amount time.  I have done a quick sear, then into a smoker at lower temp to cook throughout.

54 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

50/50 salt & pepper

250 - 275 degrees

Post oak and pecan mix

10 - 16 hours depending on size

Spritz w/beef broth every couple hours. 

Lot of guys wrap at 160* or at a certain bark color. I don't wrap till done - then rest in cooler for least 2 hours...  And get out of here with the cumin/celery seed/sugar/paprika, etc. stuff. Save that for chili cooks or whatever.  

Last time I tried my hand at a brisket it didn’t turn out as good as I hoped. Haven’t tried since. Would need a new smoker since we got rid of our old one